managing hunger in 14 month old?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

managing hunger in 14 month old?

My 14 month old has lately been waking up hungry- like an hour or two early. And sometimes even after 5 ounces of whole milk, cries because he is still hungry.  The pediatrician gave us a 15-20 ounce limit, because he would down a gallon every two days if we let him.  He is a pretty big kid- 28 pounds, and now that he is walking pretty well, has slimmed down a lot.  However, he still always seems hungry at night.

He is up at 5 and gets milk. gets breakfast (2-3 ounces of baby food, fruit chunks, cereal), lunch (3 ounces baby food plus chicken and pasta chunks), a snack at 4 (whole yogurt, some sort of cracker and some cheese), and then dinner (3-4 ounces of baby food plus more chicken/pasta type stuff and a lot of cheese poofs or something similar). He gets milk twice a day at daycare (5 ounces) and then a bottle at night before bed, and I am still nursing before bed too.  He has moved breakfast from up from 8:30 to about 7am, lunch at 12, snack at 4, and dinner at 6:30.

Is he not eating enough? are there other foods I should push that would keep him full longer?  is this just a growth spurt, or an issue now because he runs around non stop?  Should I discontinue the milk during the day to give him more at night? I would assume at this point he is only getting about 3 to 4 ounces from me while BFing- but that is 8 or 9 ounces before bed, less than 90 minutes after dinner.

thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: managing hunger in 14 month old?

Winter it sounds like he isnt getting enough.  What if you added eggs, pancakes, waffles?  A grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, smile fries, pasta ect?  My pedi encouraged us to use lots of table foods starting at 9 months.  By 1, DD was eating any meal we were eating (until she got sick).  When my oldest transitioned to milk it took us till she was about 15 months to just do milk in the am and after dinner.  She doesnt drink juice at all, so she loves her water all day long.  Im sure once you change up his diet, you will notice him being more satisfied and go back to his normal sleeping pattern.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm thinking more protein overall, especially at night, add an egg for breakfast (hard boil them in advance if it's an on the go breakfast) and a whole grain cereal, like oatmeal, barley or millet at breakfast, lunch looks good but I would add yogurt or full on cheese, or more chicken at night. If he's growing lean quickly, he needs as much protein as he can get. Maybe even a formula bottle at dinner? (does formula have more concentrated calories that whole milk?)

Another totally random idea, if he waking up hungry or does he have some gas that is mistaken for hunger (and solved by eating?). I have these heavy pajamas I put DD in on cold nights as we have not turned on our heat yet. They were actually so warm one night that she was overheating a little bit and made her tummy a little bloated and gassy and that was waking her up. My husband figured it out, I never would have thought of that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Here's what is probably a stupid suggestion: what about giving him some water?  Many people mistake hunger for thirst, so why should a baby be any different?  Give him a sippy cup or bottle of water and see if it makes a difference. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'd try some more "real" food too.  When my twins were 12 months our pedi said to stop all baby puree and only feed table food.
    Grilled cheese sandwiches, meatballs (beef or turkey) chicken nuggets (I use perdue, but you can make your own). My kids also love sausage and turkey hot dogs - lots of people on these boards feed tofu also.
    My kids love scrambled eggs.  Veggies we do are green beans, peas, carrots, Spinach littles (Dr. Praeger) potatoes, rice (very messy). They love mac & cheese which I make with Barilla Plus - it has fiber and protein in it. Sometimes I just melt a slice or two of Velveeta over it in the the microwave - easy and it makes a great finger food.
    I was told 16-24 ounces of milk per kid per day.  The rest of the time I serve water or watered down juice. 
    Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I would try and eliminate the baby food too and get all table food going.  Also, does he go from breakfast through lunch w/o a snack?  If so I'd add a snack in there around 10 to keep him going.  You could try some snacks like the others suggested, also string cheese was a favorite with DD or the baby bell cheese.  DD will also have ham or turkey roll ups for a snack, quick easy and fun.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Winter - I think this is happening to us as well.  Some mornings DD (13 months) will start fussing around 5am and I think she is hungry.  I have found that it helps to give her a snack right before we start our bedtime routine....so a snack around 7:30pm.  I usually give her some graham crackers or something like that and it seems to help her get through the night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like a diet very low in vegetables, and his brain needs phytochemicals and vitamins from vegetables to send the message to his tummy that he's full.  This would be true regardless of how much volume he's eating of crackers, cheese, and chicken, and corn puffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Winter, I agree that at his age he should be eating the food you are eating not baby food.  My son used to love waffles or pancakes in the morning and he loved baby carrots with a meal or as a snack with a little ranch dip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Winter -
    My little guy HOUSED food at 14 mos.  Not to sound like a broken record, but I ditto several of the suggestions above.  Replace the baby food with table food, add more protein, and add a morning snack.  Try offering water instead of milk.  I wonder if he is getting his appetitie satiated too much from milk/nursing perhaps and that may not be satisfying him enough long term?  I would suggest a snack upon waking - some cereal or crackers.  Then, with breakfast, add the egg or waffle or pancakes as other suggest, replacing the baby food with "real food" version like mroe fruit chunks.  2-4 oz of baby food is not much if you think about it - in fact, Stage 1 jars serving size is 2.5 oz and those are designed for 4-6 mo olds, so the 2-4 oz may not be enough for a 14 mo old.  I would add an AM snack mid morning that is a fruit and a whole grain.  At lunch, I would increase the quantity of chicken, add a veggie instead of baby food.  Maybe try adding some hummus or other spreads on bread or veggies.  The afternoon snack sounds good.  At dinner, again eliminating the baby food, adding in fruits and veggies, and increasing the protein and carb offered.  My little guy did great with avocado on bread and crackers as a "side dish" as well as melted cheese or cream cheese on things. 
    Good luck!  Figuring out these little hunger schedules can be tough.  I will say at 14 mos, my pedi had us off baby food and DS was having about 15oz of milk (morning, after nap, before bed).  He was eating an AM snack, breakfast, lunch, pm snack, and dinner - all of which were pretty hearty in quantity and substance.  They use a lot of energy and are growing a ton... Good luck!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

There's already been a lot of good things said, but I'll add a few:

--what about peanut or almond butter? We introduced both at around 12 months on toast, bagels, waffles, etc. and it was a big hit. It's calorie dense and a good source of protein.

--in addition to pasta, try rice (might have to overcook it a bit). We can mix practically anything into a bowl of pasta or rice. We've added pureed veggies, small bits of meat, grated cheese. Put a splash of olive oil in there for some extra calories.

--cereal bars. DS is obsessed with the Earth's Best cereal bars. Much more substance than a puff.

The other thing I'll say, and it's from my own experience with an extremely picky eater, is not to stress if your child still prefers purees over "whole" foods at this point. MOST kids will happily transition to table foods, but some don't. (My DS being a prime example.) Our pedi is FINE with it, because LO is still getting all the nutritional value of veggies and fruits. He'd much prefer DS to be doing that than just flat out refusing these types of things.

ETA: One other thought re: yogurt. Mix some things in there--cut up fruits, wheat germ, even grape nuts (if you let them sit and soften for a bit in the yogurt).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Veggies are a necessity; there's no wrong way to serve them if it means they'll be eaten aside from drowning them in maple syrup or other such atrocity.

Last month's Cooking Light has a mac n cheese recipe that calls for pureed butternut squash that I intend to try.  Looks yummy, and a good amount of vegetable is hidden in the deliciousness.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I use purees all the time with DD to get more veggies into her, and actually my husband and I have taken to using the purees to get our own extra veggies in, I add fruit cubes to my oatmeal in the morning. For lunch today, I'm actually eating baby super porridge from the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron because it tastes really good and is packed with solid whole grain nutrition. Cooked Barley with a green cube of brussel sprounts, kale and spinach, a cube of orange sweet potato for sweetness, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

I say this only to emphasize there is nothing wrong with purees!

If you only used the Yaron book when your baby was transitioning to solids, crack it open again. I find it a great source for toddler food, and as I mentioned, DH and I are following to eating plan, with modfications and are feeling really good! (DH down 6 lbs., I'm down 4 both without trying!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks for all the responses! Just a FYI, I know we are a little behind in the transition, but he has been pretty sick for the past two months and we were encouraged to get calories in, however it worked. now that he is back to full energy, we are starting to see the gap/hunger.  I tend to shovel in the baby food as he is eating other things...

Kar- The purees are all veggies- and he loves them. but he refuses most veggies steamed, so I have kept the purees in order to keep the vegtables... but I can start to transition him off. occasionally he will eat a pea or some broccoli in his pasta by mistake... I can just increase the veggie ratio and see what happens.   I have tried butternut squash on pasta (I made all my own baby food, so I just defrosted some cubes for the pasta) which he was fine with.

really doesn't like fruit- will do the pears or peaches out of the fruit cups, but much to my dismay, nothing that i cut up (steamed or raw) like apples, pears, or grapes...  he wasn't big on pureed fruits either and we don't do juice.

He did nibble on a grilled cheese last week... has tried a few other things, but only tends to shovel in the chicken and pasta (it is actual grilled chicken breast- we make an extra and he eats like a 1/2 one per day- and barilla pasta with a cream sauce that he loves).  He is even picky about the pasta type...

re: the peanut butter. the other day I "washed" his pacifier in my mouth, after eating a crab cake (meaning he has now been exposed to shell fish). DH and I eat peanuts all the time, so I am sure that we have exposed him. Our pedi said to stick with the 2 year old rule for both, but I want to break it. we love peanut butter in our house. are other people doing this?  I gave him pesto a few weeks ago on some ravioli, realizing later that meant I gave him pine nuts... argh!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Blueberries!  My LOs were happiest with the peaches and pears in the fruit cups too.  But they loved (and still do) blueberries.  I then moved on to raspberries and strawberries.  When the strawberries are too tart I dust them with a bit of cinnamon - or even cinnamon suger (just a bit).
    My kids still don't love veggies too much - but they eat all kinds of fruit.

Watermelon was another early favorite.  I remember them eating that at their first birthday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We had moved away from purees b/c DD likes to self-feed and does a good job at it, but I've reintroduced them lately as a side dish or mix-in b/c they pack well and her preferred finger foods can be a bit binding.  So I mix plum or prune puree in with her morning yogurt, toss her pasta with some veggie puree and peas ... that kind of thing. 

Knock wood, DD's a great eater, but I do try to "lead" her meals with what I want her to eat.  I had been starting her with Cheerios while I prepped the rest of the meal, but now I give her cut up veggies or avocado to start, then her "main" course (pasta with veggies & cheese, or chicken, or cut up meatballs) with more/different veggies, then fruit to wrap up the meal.  I'll give Cheerios to gauge if she's still hungry -- if they hit the floor, she's done; if not, I keep offering fruits & veggies. 

If he's waking up hungry, I'd try to add some protein and good fats at dinner.  My Dd loves anything with olive oil on it, and avocado is another good fat.  Dinner isn't generally the biggest meal of the day for most kids, so I'd focus on calorie density.  Maybe add a healthy "dessert" -- some greek yogurt with fruit mixed in?  My DD likes the whole milk plain Face with frozen blues mixed in -- makes it sweet and she really likes it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I have good luck with giving frozen veggies & fruit (peas, corn, blueberries, cherries, mango chunks).  I run them under some warm water or cut them up and they melt enough for her to gum them.  I think she likes the cold on her gums.  You could try that.  Whole Foods has a great selection of frozen fruits & veggies.  I bet Trader Joe's does, too. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Winter - to answer our peanut butter question.  Our ped also said 2 years... and just the other day I let DS lick some off my finger (11mths).  It would be such a good food for him since he is somewhat of a picky eater. (and we are still on purees to ensure veggie intake...otherwise he'd eat none...does not like steamed at all!)  Nothing happened... I watched for rashes or breathing issues.  Nothing.  I've heard that an allergy shows the second time... is that true?

I know its a serious allergy for those that have it, but how funny we are all so afraid of a food that our mothers probably gave us in major quantities daily!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Food allergies are funky -- they get worse over time and, yes, you can not react at first exposure and then have a more serious reaction with subsequent consumptions.  LIL would know more about this than I do, but I'll be holding off on that.  Given how many schools/daycares are peanut-free, I actually might start with sunbutter or some other non-peanut spread.  Just easier. 

I'm actually more afraid of peanut butter from a choking perspective -- it's tough to heimlich. 

Peanut Butter is apparently a big fear for me.  Peanut butter is my Scary Clown. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Calorie dense, or nutrient dense?  Good fats are calorie dense and good for you, but not much else is that I know of.  Even potatoes aren't calorie dense (it's the butter we put on them...mm, butter), but they are nutrient dense - same with all other vegetables.  It's what makes them healthy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

re: peanut butter. Our pedi was fine with introducing it at 12-ish months. His biggest concern was not allergies, actually, but the choking hazard from nuts, pieces of nut, or trying to swallow a piece of something with too much nut butter on top of it. As long as there weren't allergies in the family, he wasn't worried.

I did something similar to you (and the crab) with peanuts. I gave DS some rice that had touched a stir fry with peanuts in the sauce. I figured that if he had a reaction from that we'd know if there was a bigger concern. No problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lots of good ideas.  (Many of which I will try!)

Regarding purees: we are almost 14 months and we still use them as well.  Aside from being the main way to get the LO to like veggies, as others have mentioned, she just loses steam on self-feeding and on chewing before she really gets a ton to eat at that meal.
    So, in our case, when we remove purees, she actually gets hungry again *sooner*.  Not sure if this would be the case for you as well, winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

One other thing about the peanut butter.  My pedi says to wait if your baby had eczema - they are much more likely to have a peanut (and some other) allergies.

And yes - it can be a choking hazard - so if your pedi gives the green light, make sure you spread it really thinly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I was about to stop buying purees, since my 11 month old is mostly on table foods now, aside from mixing a little puree in with yogurt or oatmeal to give some flavor.  We were on a road trip, and she was grumpy, and I had one of the Plum baby pouches in the diaper bag.  She held that puppy in her hands and sucked it down right out of the pouch.  So they have now become our go-to snack...it's a way to get her veggies and fruits and fill her up with things she should be eating, and since she's very into self-feeding, she'll feed herself.  I also will spread some of the purees onto waffles (pumpkin banana on a waffle sounds pretty yummy) or mix with pasta (carrot or squash, usually) to add some nutrients to otherwise carb-heavy meals.  I don't feed them to her straight up anymore, really, more disguised in other things.

DD also likes couscous and quinoa...throw some veggies and/or veggie puree in either and good to go.  I just bought frozen quinoa with veggies at Trader Joe's this week...could be a new go-to dinner for DD...has carrots and zucchini and other veggies and red quinoa.  Love the quinoa since it's got protein in it, and she loves to eat it.  We also will do toast or crackers with hummous on them (trader joe's makes one w/o tahini), and I'll add some frozen peas and carrots to "decorate", and she will happily munch away. It's messy, but she loves it!

Also, a cheese stick or a banana always are good go-to snacks for us...if she's getting a little grumpy (ie hungry), she can have a couple of bites.  And loves the sippy cup with the straw...has become an expert with it in the last couple of weeks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I think purees can be helpful supplements at that age - you could use them as spreads or dips, mix them with cereal or yogurt, add them to other dishes like pasta sauces as others suggest, use them as snacks, or use them as a "side dish."  I think since the OP listed them first when describing meals her little one was having, I assumed they were they main attraction, rather than a side dish, but I may have misunderstood.  At 14 mos, if purees are needed to get in extra veggies and fruit, that makes total sense, but my advice is to remember that serving-size wise, they are made for smaller, younger babies who are formula or bmilk dependent for nutrition.  In reading further, it sounds like the OP wasn't serving them up as the main part of the meal - I misunderstood.  Hope that makes sense!  To the OP - if your little one likes yogurt, perhaps adding another one in during the day or mixing in purees and grains as other suggest could help.  I like the idea someone suggested of some dessert yogurt after dinner. 

Sections
Shortcuts