March Infants and toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: March Infants and toddlers

We just got through a really bad pattern of sleeping for both kids.  If some recall, DD 3yr, was in bed with us, till we moved, she transitioned into her bed pretty well.  Some nights she falls asleep in our bed and we move her and she stays.  Other nights, I lay with her till she falls asleep. I also "fake" sleep and ingore her if she talks to me.    She still will not nap in her bed unless she falls asleep in the car and we move her. 

DS also was a sleeping disaster the past 6 or so weeks since we moved. I figure it was a mixture of a cold, moving and teething.  Those could still have be infuences but Saturday night I could not take the waking anymore, put him on his belly, and like magic, he slept through the night.  I figure at 8 months (tomorrow, cant beleive it) it is ok.  He still will not roll from front to back but at this point, I know he will be fine.  He woke up in the middle of the night Sunday but had a p00p, and last night he slept through again.  

Other than the sleep, we are doing well. DD picked up riding her bike really well in the past few days.  Although yesterday, she was starting to fall over and I grabbed her and my finger nail took a huge chunk of skin out of her arm and she was a disater for an hour.  It was either that, or she slammed on the ground. I can just picture her today tell the babysitter that mommy cut me :-(.  Oh well, obviously I did not do it on purpose.   I reacted quickly to not grab her by her lower arm because she gets nurse maid elbow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Poppy - so sorry about the sleep issues! We did a lot of co-sleeping in the 15-20 month range. The downside of DD sleeping well was that DH and I slept terribly when she was fidgety (most of the time). 
    Fram - the stroller looks pretty cool, and the recline feature isn't terribly common on "umbrella" type strollers. We have a Maclaren Volo, which is about 11 lbs. with the canopy, but it doesn't recline or take the baby bucket. It has limited storage under, and it is hard to put stuff in when DD is sitting in the stroller, but I don't tend to need the storage all that often (I mostly shove our coats under there, it will hold DD and my parkas) I bought a little mesh bag that hangs off the back and has two "cup" holders - they are great for a skinny water bottle, but are too small for a Dunkin cup, so that increases the storage. It was a Maclaren brand accessory, but I bet it would fit another stroller brand, or you could find something similar that is not brand specific.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - yes. Everyone feels like they aren't doing anything well sometimes. :)
    Hang in there - I bet you're a great mom, wife, co-worker...and housekeeper too!
    I don't even have a job and I still need help from my parents and the cleaning lady to keep it all together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, I don't have any experience with that particular stroller.  From what I've seen, though, it doesn't seem like the lightweight fancy umbrella ones convert to double.  They make double umbrellas, but it has to be double from the start.  Other than that, it's mostly more heavy duty strollers that add on to double.
    We have the uppababy g-luxe and I love it.  It does have limited storage, but enough for the diaper bag.  It has a cup holder that snaps on the side.  But yeah, storage is limited.
    I'm stil not sure whether if I were to do it again, I would get the uppababy g-lite.  It's almost the same, but lighter and it doesn't recline, and about $70 cheaper (although we got ours on clearance anyway).  We really have almost never reclined because like you, we started using it when she was older.  She's only fallen asleep a handful of times in it, so I think I would take the trade off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Fram, I think most umbrella strollers have sucky storage, and no cup holders.  I have a McClaren Volo.  Older Model I bought on Craigstlist.  I bought an aftermarket cup holder which works fine.  This is all I ever used for DD since she came out of the infant seat/snap and go.  I also own a bigger stroller, Phil and Ted which I have the extra seat to make it a double.  The stroller is so big and heavy, I never use it.  I dont think I will ever use it for both kids, such a shame.    My everyday double, is a sit and stand which I like and has a lot of storage.

I honesly would not worry about converting it into a double.  Just get a basic umbrella stroller and deal with the double issue if you need to down the road.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for your input!  It sounds like the stroller has some good features (recline, car seat)... which we don't really need, but may come in handy later.  I am torn because on one hand we should accept her generous gift and be grateful... but we are probably going to end up needing a cheap/light umbrella stroller at some point, so we'll have to buy that... and what we really needed was a convertible car seat which she had originally offered to get for DD's bday.  I am so grateful for her generous gifts, but she has a way of giving the things you don't really need, so we end up spending the money anyway... sigh...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi ladies - I tried to start a new discussion but my log-in won't let me for some reason -

I am taking DD on a 3.5 hour plane flight tomorrow by myself for a girls weekend to visit some relatives.  DD is 25 months old and the last time she was on a plane was when she was 15 months old, and she obviously doesn't remember it.  We've been reading a few books about planes and she has some idea of what to expect during the flight (ie stay in your seat, seatbelt on, we'll have snacks, might get bumpy when we take off and land, etc.) but I couldn't find any books that talk extensively about the airport, and particularly, going through security.  She obviously can walk very well and will be wearing shoes etc. and has her own ticket.  Last time we flew, when she was still pretty little, they let me carry her through the screener and it was just a traditional one that you walk through, and not one of those new ones at Logan where you have to put your hands behind your head and stay still for 30 seconds.  Now I'm assuming they will make her take her shoes off and maybe even walk through security on her own? I'd like to be able to talk to DD tonight about it so she knows what to expect. Anyone go through security with an older toddler/preschooler before? Any tips etc.?

Also - anyone have any ideas for light weight unconventional distractions for the plane? We have a few books, a new sticker book and coloring book, and I am bringing a package of post-it notes and tab stickers from my office for her to explore and destroy as she desires.  She is also fascinated by chapstick so I have one for her to play with. I am also bringing plenty of snacks, including a few "special" ones that she doesn't get at home (ie yogurt covered raisins and cinnamon chex mix). Any other ideas for easy, cheap entertainment?  I am also bringing the ipad so she can watch a movie but i'd rather her not watch it for three hours straight.

Any general airport tips with toddlers? 

TIA!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Rama - I haven't gone through security with a toddler but my last job required me to fly twice a week so I know all about the security line.  They will ask your DD to take her shoes off and then you can decide if she will walk through on her own of if you would rather carry her.  She might want to walk through on her own like a big girl.  They will have use use the traditional scanner rather than the new one where you stand with your hands above your head.  Also, if I remember correctly you're pg with #2, right? You should go through the traditional scanner anyway.  It's safer than the new X-ray one for pregnant women.  I flew at 15 weeks and just gave them a heads up when I was in line that I was pregnant and they took me through the other one.

Are you flying out of Logan? Most of the terminals have a children's play area set up. I would stop by there before your flight and let her burn off some energy!

It sounds like you have a lot of great things all set up for the ride.  I would recommend also making sure she has a sippy cup or juice box for take off and landing.  It should help her ears adjust!  Good luck and enjoy your girls weekend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

They won't make you go through the x-ray scanner with a kid.  They have you walk through the regular scanner.  I know because I was pregnant last time I flew so I told them ahead of time I wanted a pat-down instead of the x-ray scanner.  They lady patted me down then told me on the way back I should just walk confidently through with DD, since they would just automatically pick someone else to go through the x-ray/get a pat-down.  They send people with small children through the old-fashioned metal scanner.  I don't know what that means for national security, but it makes things convenient.  I remember in Dulles they had signs up about children under a certain age not needed to remove their shoes.  They didn't have those signs in Logan when we went through but it seemed like TSA protocol, since some of the workers seemed annoyed we were taking her shoes off (and then, in Dulles, she insisted on taking them off and putting them on the belt herself).
    They won't make you dump a sippy cup but they might make you sip from it or have her sip from it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Rama-I've done long trips with DS-once when he was 18 mo, and once when he was 2.5. You can carry DD through the scanners-kids no longer need to take their shoes off. Some TSA folks will let you go through with milk/juice for the child-but then there's always that one that makes you open it and taste it. Last time we made it through 3 international airports and one agent at Heathrow made me open my last thing of milk...and of course I didn't have a sippy to dump the open milk into. So-have a take and toss sippy handy if they ask you to drink any of your stuff.

We do red eyes for our long flights-so we get DS to sleep. But things that have kept him busy:
    -DVD player (we take 6-10 hour flights so this is a must on them)
    -crayons and paper to color
    -light weight books-the learn to read books are great, light weight
    -a wallet to go through. I fill one with store loyalty cards-ones with no names on them and if they're lost it's no biggie.
    -childs watch-DS loves to wear a watch, puts it on takes it off, etc.
    -lollipops-we get Yummy Earth Organic Lollipops with Vit C.
    -smart phone-load it with games/pictures and put it on flight mode and let DD play.

I'm always over packed with things to do/snacks that DS doesn't normally get. I expect him to travel well (but prepared if he doesn't). And he always exceeds my expectations.

In two months we try our first trip with two kids...that should be interesting.

Fram-umbrella strollers-I've never had one that has a ton of storage-but we just got a Britax B-Nimble-and for an umbrella stroller we love it. The under basket it big, though hard to access if the seat is declined all the way-but we use the infant carrier in it still. But normally it's rare to have the seat fully declined when the baby is out of the carrier. We also have the Britax B-Ready-which is not an umbrella and can be converted to a double stroller-and I LOVE the storage in this-they have zippers on most sides of the storage to access it from different angles-the front, side...we are huge fans of the britax stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Rama, I can't offer advice on traveling with a toddler but it sounds like you're preparing her well! We have to but tickets today for DH's brother's wedding in FL in June. DS will be 3 1/2 mos by then. We weren't planning to get him a seat but I read in one of our child care books that for safety reasons babies should have their own seat with the carseat strapped in. Of course I want him safe, but is it really necessary? We are already spending way more for this wedding than we're comfortable with right now, so I don't want to buy a seat unless necessary. On another note, the bfing thing is really wearing me down. DS seems to be getting worse, just hanging out on the breast and not sucking despite my tickling, taking his clothes off, etc., or actively refusing to open his mouth at all, yet as soon as I move him he screams for a bottle (I wait awhile before giving it to him FWIW). It's upsetting all of us and I think I have to set a deadline to make a decision to exclusively pump. Our LC gave us a few strategies re: making bottle feeding tougher so he loses his preference, but I've seen no improvement and I'm not optimistic. Any exclusive pumpers on here?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe with a 3 1/2 month old you could possibly skip the wedding?  You'd save a lot of money, stress, and how could you enjoy the festivities, anyway, taking care of the baby 24/7 out of town off your schedule, etc.?  I'm not saying I think you shouldn't go, per se, (that's totally up to you!), but have you considered missing it?  Sometimes the timing of such events just isn't conducive to doing everything we would have done under different circumstances is all I'm suggesting.  People often have to bow out of weddings with a 3 1/2 month old even if they don't have to fly to get there.

ETA:  My SIL in CA didn't come to our wedding because their DS was a month old.  It happens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Arcain, I think your DS would be ok as a lap infant. I've heard (ex inlaws work for airlines) that some car seats don't stay in the seat belt correctly and they can tip, etc.  He is probably safer in you and DH's arms.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In response to "Re: March Infants and toddlers": [QUOTE]Rama, I can't offer advice on traveling with a toddler but it sounds like you're preparing her well! We have to but tickets today for DH's brother's wedding in FL in June. DS will be 3 1/2 mos by then. We weren't planning to get him a seat but I read in one of our child care books that for safety reasons babies should have their own seat with the carseat strapped in. Of course I want him safe, but is it really necessary? We are already spending way more for this wedding than we're comfortable with right now, so I don't want to buy a seat unless necessary. On another note, the bfing thing is really wearing me down. DS seems to be getting worse, just hanging out on the breast and not sucking despite my tickling, taking his clothes off, etc., or actively refusing to open his mouth at all, yet as soon as I move him he screams for a bottle (I wait awhile before giving it to him FWIW). It's upsetting all of us and I think I have to set a deadline to make a decision to exclusively pump. Our LC gave us a few strategies re: making bottle feeding tougher so he loses his preference, but I've seen no improvement and I'm not optimistic. Any exclusive pumpers on here? Posted by Arcain[/QUOTE] Arcain- my ds slept through all his feedings for weeks! I had to get a super cold wash cloth and put it on his feet or neck to wake him! Sometimes even an ice cube in the cloth , sounds mean but it worked because he would start comfort sucking. He started gaining weight after I started with the cloth ( a LC gave me the advice)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

I know the books say that it is safer for babies in car seats on flights, but we don't buy them seats until we need to (2 years old).  Sometimes we've been lucky enough to get seats (Southwest is great, as without the assigned seats, if there's a free seat, you can bring on your carseat on and the baby can sit right next to you since no one will be assigned ot that seat).  Even on those flights, the baby winds up in our arms for part, if not all of the flight, as it's just more comfortable for them in an unknown setting.  I flew with my DD alone when she was 10 weeks old and it was fine.  Just don't fret it and you'll be fine.  I couldn't imagine missing a sibling's wedding, and the 3.5 month old will be fine.  Everyone will understand if you and the baby need to sneak away, as long asa they are OK with a baby being there... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Arcain, I've responded to your other posts before, but I just finished exclusively pumping for 11 months. Feel free to ask me any specific questions if you're thinking of going that route. It's something that I was hoping to be able to do for 3 months, maybe 6 at the most. It got easier with time, and every time I wanted to stop my DH would motivate me to keep going.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - as my pedi said, "the best strategy is the one that gets food into the babies."
    I EP'd for my twins for 8 weeks and gave up. We became formula feeders and everyone was happier - espeically me. There is another twin mom on these boards who EP'd and supplimented with formula for 8 months. And I have a friend who EP'd for her singleton for 6 months.
    So hang in there and see how it goes. There is the plus that once you've pumped someone else can feed the baby once in a while.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I exclusively pumped for daytime feedings with DD for 3 or 4 months and then it was too much.  I did not produce enough and was constantly stressed about how much I was producing.  EP'ng is a lot of work (IMO) and each feeding is basically a double feeding.  With DS I only pumped a couple times because I really did not want to go down that road.  I nursed him (daytime feedings) for 2 months.  I also agree with Lily, I was much happier when they were on formula, I felt like I had a major stress off my shoulders.  Is he gaining weight with how things are going now? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for the EP input. I was actuall y looking at it as an easier option compared to what Im doing now, so it's helpful to know how hard it is. If you all dont mind sharing, what were your reasons for EPing? KT, he is gaining weight very well (he was only 5 11 at birth, so he needed to), but we're doing an exhausting regimen of nurse/bottle supplement/pump, which isn'tt totally awful when DH is around, but when he's at work I have to do all 3 and I'm lucky to have an hour in between. I'm trying a supplemental nursing system today to see if we can get DS to fill up on the breast, but I'm feeling pretty pessimistic...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Arcain, I feel for you.  This whole breastfeeding thing can be so stressful.  I can sort of relate because I am debating stopping nursing my 7 month old and moving to EPing.  He is just so distracted for about a month now and it's gotten so difficult.  He's also really skinny so I'm constantly worried that he's eating enough.  AND he's taken to clamping down really hard and then pulling off (in addition to slapping my face the entire time).  No fun at all anymore.  It'd make me so sad to stop nursing though, so I will continue to try for a while longer and hope it's just a phase.

I can pump pretty quickly, I usually do it at the highest setting and I'm done in 5-6 minutes unless I'm really full.  But i have pretty tough nips these days.  It's still a PITA to pump and then feed though. 

Anyway, good luck and try not to beat yourself up too much over it.  Like Miss Lily said, the best way to feed the baby is the one that gets food in them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I was EPing because my son would not latch and my daughter latched badly. Trying to BF twins was so hard so I ended up giving bottles of formula after 4 days. I pumped for 8 weeks and supplimented with formula. I had terrible guilt about stopping, but after feeding two and then sitting down to pump I was crying all the time. I felt like I got no rest and that I was missing my twins infancy. I had been to all those nursing classes and heard all the stories about how so many moms were able to nurse twins and I felt like a total failure.
    At my 6 week post partum appt. I spoke to the OB about it. She felt so bad that she hadn't told me that most moms of twins do have to suppliment even if they are able to nurse. She actually said that of the hundreds of twin moms she had as patients, only 4 had successfully nursed exclusively. Again, after all those nursing classes and the stories about how "mother's milk is best" I felt so bad about returning my pump and not trying longer,  but my husband told me to just stop if it was too much. As he said, "They have had 8 more weeks of mother's milk than you or I ever did." So I stopped. Life was just easier for us with formula only - it's hard enough to make 16 bottles a day without adding the pumping in.
    I'm sure you'll have a much easier time with only one to take care of. But you need to do what works for you. Nursing is great, pumping is great too - especially for a newborn. But Mommy has to be happy too. I'm sure you will figure out a system that works for you and your baby.
    Good luck!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

DD was tongue tied and we weren't able to get it clipped until she was about 1 month, so by that point nursing was out.  I fully agree with you, pumping is not bad when someone else is around to help but it can feel like never ending when you are on your own.  With DS I stopped nursing earlier than I''d have like to because he would nurse for 40 mins and then want a bottle and it was too much with a 2 year old running crazy going through that every two hours.

I 100% agree with Lily, you have to be happy it really makes a world of difference to you, your son and DH.

If you do decide to EP invest in some hands free pumping bras, best $$ I ever spent!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Arcain, I've been EP'ing for almost 6 weeks now- since DS was 2 weeks old. He had trouble latching and wasn't gaining enough weight. I probably could've been more patient but after hearing he wasn't gaining and knowing the kind of pain I was in from his not-so-good latch, I just went with EPing (and formula- I don't have enough supply so he gets about half bmilk and half formula over the course of the day). We tried a few more times to get him to latch but he got frustrated and I ended up sore again each time we tried.  My goal was to get to 2 months and I've found that the pumping has gotten easier so we'll keep going. Totally agree with others who say formula is fine and a happy mother is very important- that was part of what helped me thru, knowing trying to bfeed was stressing me out way too much and I wanted to enjoy those early weeks with DS. Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - Not that you need my support, but I fully support whatever decision you make regarding BFing, pumping, or supplementing.  I would really love to keep exploring/offering advice for BFing, but I don't want it to come off as pushing you away from pumping or supplementing.

How does a typical feeding go?  It sounds like your DS BFs for quite a while, but doesn't have a strong suck and then is hungry and fussy afterwards.  Is that right?  (Don't let me put words in your mouth!) 
    Does he seem to have a good latch?  What have the LCs said?  If not, have you tried a nipple shield to help him latch? 
    What if you only BFed and did not follow it up with a bottle for a feeding (or two)... That way he would be hungry enough at the next feeding to really latch on and drink well and hopefully not need a bottle.  That is easier said than done when I can't see how fussy/hungry he is, but it might be worth a try.  Wishing you all the best!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Can't believe I finally logged in!  Fram, thanks for the tip you posted somewhere.

Sections
Shortcuts