March Infants and toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: March Infants and toddlers

Workingmom... to date I still get a very happy little boy running across the daycare room to give me a hug at the end of the day.  Best feeling ever.  And now, especially with the nicer weather (or at least was), I get the stiff board while trying to get him in the car seat.  I feel bad but I have to man handle him into the seat sometimes.  And then its just all downhill!

Medford... oh, so brave.  Peanut butter!!  So funny how we're all so afraid of something that was such a staple 30 years ago.  I'm pretty sure DS isn't allergic to the nut/peanut family.  He had french toast once that had walnuts in it (I wasn't aware until we were half way done) and he grabbed at a granola bar I was eating recently, eating half, until I realized it was peanut butter chip.  So I need to bite the bullet and just give the kid a PB&J already!

As for gross motor... DS is doing awesome.  Thanks so much for asking.  Actually so good I cancelled his EI about 2 weeks ago.  He can get up on his own from the middle of the room, sit down, squat down, pick up anything, up stairs on hands and knees, etc.  They did amazing things for him in just 3 months (and watching kids at daycare helped him a lot too).  He started to not pay attention during the sessions and we ended up just chatting.  So, I just didn't think chatting with his therapist was worth $125/mth.  He's 1,000 times more confident now and while he's still a really cautious little boy, he is now much more capable during play.  Great news for you guys too!!  Walking that far is awesome, and stopping and starting!  You must be so excited, as I'm sure she is too.  Its beyond cool to see their progress.  Congrats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Thanks CT-DC for the tips on bottle feeding.  We had been trying for 9 weeks (usually one 1oz bottle a day) with no luck.  However, this week I went back to work and it went better than expected.  Monday and Tuesday were tough, but by Thursday, she was taking 2 oz at a time.  We have about 8 kinds of bottles that we had tried and cycled through.  We tried cold, warm, and hot milk, trying it when she was hungry, when she had just eaten, by me, by DH, by other relatives, with me in the room, with me out of the room, with me out of the house, walking around, sitting still, watching tv or a mobile, when it was quiet, you name it!  It all seemed like it was in vain, but miraculously, when she really needed to do it, she figured it out. 

And for me, going back to work was better than I expected.  It was nice to get back into the swing of things, and everyone was so happy to have me back in the office to take back my work - lol!  I was lucky in that I was able to work a short day on Monday and I took off an hour early on Tuesday and Wednesday, but I know that I will not be able to do that much going forward.  I didn't feel very productive, though, since every 2-3 hours I was going to pump, and by the time I set everything up, pumped, and cleaned everything up, it was a good 30-35 minute process.  So, out of a 8-hour day, I only really worked probably 6 hours.  Do any pumping moms have advice on how to maximize pumping at work so it's not such a time sink?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

congratulations on braving the first week back at work!  And for some bottle success.
    I think the pumping depends on your job and your pumping location.
    I have a lot of reading/editing as part of my job, so I printed things out in advance and took them with me to read and make notes.  It actually became very productive time with no interruptions!  Is there anything similar in your work?

Also, not sure what is involved in your cleaning up, but I never washed pump parts at work.  I put them in the cooler with the pumped milk and used them again during the second time of the day.  Then back in the cooler after and they got washed later at home.  That could save some time if you're not already doing that.

If you drop to once per day later, it feels like you have so much time!!  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Medford, Good point - I'm not actually cleaning up and washing parts - I am putting them in the fridge like you mentioned.  But, I feel like it takes a while to get the parts all assembled, screw on the bottles, attach the hands-free straps and tubing, and get the breast shield aligned.  It's not a ton of time, but it's probably 2-4 minutes before I even get the pump going.  Then, afterward, it's another 2-4 minutes to disassemble the parts, combine the milk into a bottle for storage, pack up my cooler bag, put everthing back in my tote bag, and straighten myself back up. 

It's about a 3 minute walk to the other side of the building and down a floor to get to our pumping rooms, and once you get there, it's first come first served for 2 rooms, so you never know if they are in use or how long you will have to wait.  So far, I've only had one occurrence where both rooms were occupied by someone who just started, so I had to wait 20 minutes.  Otherwise, I've either been able to go right in, or wait 5-10 minutes.  But even if there is no wait, it takes 6 minutes to get to and from my desk, about 6 minutes of set-up/break-down, and then 15-20 minutes of pumping. 

At this point I have been pumping 3 times a day, but I'm wondering if 2 times would generate enough milk and take less time.  I leave home at 7:45, and don't get home until 6, so I was pumping at 10, 12:30, and 3.  Also, does the hands-free bustier save time versus the Medela hands-free straps?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Jen- I would be careful about switching to only pumping two times vs three. I recently switched to pumping once instead if twice and I started producing less! You don't want that to happen this early on. Buy the simple wishes bra from target, 30$ but well worth it. I have the freestyle pump and only used the staps a few times before almost throwing them out the window, they are the worst!! I think the bra will save you some time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I have the freestyle too.  I swear, the straps take forever to attach!  Glad its not just me!

Do you wear the hands free bra all day, or just put it on for pumping?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hey Jennifyr - I'm trying to think of ways to shave off a little time... I didn't use a hands free bra at all.  Is that an option for you?  I would take work with me that mostly entailed reading. 

Personally whenever I cut back on sessions, it didn't turn out well.  If you pump a huge surplus of milk, you could cut down to 2 sessions, but otherwise I wouldn't.  Like ajuly, at the end I was pumping twice just to make one bottle.  I switched to once and still got enough for one bottle... for like a week.

That really sucks that you have to wait in line!!  Ours is set up like a conference room, so it's a common calendar that people can view on Outlook and sign up for appointments.  Do you think you could suggest a system like that?  Or is it not a huge problem?  I work for a large company and there would have been ladies lined up five deep at lunch time!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Jen - So happy to hear back to work went well, you definitely get into a routine and over time, you will cut down your pumping session times (signficantly).

For the pumping, I've got a few ideas. I had it down to a 15 minute process, but it still felt like it took forever.

- I bought a larger lunch-sized cooler and kept all the nose cones, bottles and pump parts together in that. I did have one spill, but given that I pumped for a whole year, not that bad.

- My office has the same policy with regards to the availability of "wellness room" (waiting in line) but they put a little white board on the door. The person in the room posts the time she'll be done ("I'll be done at 9:45"), so you aren't left standing there unproductively. (Sticky notes work just as well). It's not as good as booking a room a la Fram, but it helps.

-Everyone is different, but I would get really emotional when it was close to time to pump or if I was full of milk. If you are like this, do yourself a favor and pump before a big or challenging meeting!

- Someone on the boards recommended this to me and it was a LIFE SAVER. After my last pump of the day, I put the icepack in the thermal bag and put that bag inside my work bag so there is NO CHANCE of getting on the train without the milk. When you are running out the door to get home to your baby, you will never remember to get the milk out of the fridge! A coworker who drove left her car keys in the cooler for the same reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Jenn - GL with the first week of daycare! I'm filing away all the advice about afternoon crankiness for when DS is older! I have a rather vain question. How long did it take you moms to lose the baby weight, if you have? I think I was duped by too many friends and family members saying "if you nurse, it'll melt right off!" I gained about 35 lbs with DS, lost 15 right after he was born, and have been stalled completely in the 6 weeks since, and I've been eating healthy and back on a workout regimen (more intense than before I got pregnant) for over two weeks now. I don't expect to be back in my skinny jeans immediately, but I am starting to get frustrated that I haven't lost a single pound!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, even after pregnancy, losing weight is simply a matter of calories in vs calories out.  Here are some physics facts that should help you get a handle on why you haven't lost any more weight and give you an idea of what will work better.

Breast feeding uses about 300 calories a day worth of energy.  
    A pound of fat stores 3500 calories worth of energy.
    If you are 150 lbs and are not super active, you probably burn about 1800 calories a day plus 300 for breast feeding = 2100 per day.

So, if you want to lose a pound a week, you need to create a 3500 calorie deficit a week in what you eat so your body taps into your fat for that much energy.  3500/7 = 500 per day.

If you don't add any extra activity, you'll need to eat 2100 - 500 calories per day to do this which is 1600.  This is not very much, and you'll need to be mindful of eating fiber rich, nutrient rich food, no empty calories, you can't afford them.  This is probably your problem - you are eating more than that and not adding a lot of physical activity to offset it.

If, on the other hand, you add (-)200 calories of exercise, you only need to create a 300 calorie food decifit and can eat a much easier to maintain 1800 calories a day (to lose a pound a week).

Calorie counting is only a pita in the beginning.  Once you learn the calories in the foods YOU usually eat (you don't have to memorize 1000s of foods!) you can keep a running tally no problem.

Best!

ETA:  If you cut too many calories per day, your supply will go down.  I used a pound per week as an example, but it's probably better if you aim for 1/2 lb.  That way, you only need to worry about a 250 calorie per day deficit.  If you get that 1/2 by reducing calories in food and 1/2 by adding exercise, it will be pretty easy and not risk supply.

The bottom line is that a pound of stored fat is 3500 calories.  When you tap into your fat stores for the energy you need to function enough to total 3500 calories, you'll have lost a pound of fat.  If you have a 100 calorie deficit a day, you'll lose about a pound per month, for instance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Arcain -
    I think I may have ranted about this before, but... bfeeding affects people differently.
    A few of my friends lost crazy weight while bfeeding and gained back when they stopped.
    However, some people (including me) cannot get the rest of the weight off until they stop bfeeding.
    Basically, while Kar is of course on track with calories in and out, the "calories out" part has to do with metabolism which is affected by bfeeding.
    While bfeeding, your hormones are similar to a mini-menopause.  This slows down your metabolism, reducing "calories out".

For my personal experience: I nursed my LO frequently until she was 13 months.  (I still nurse her now but only morning and/or bedtime.)  I did not get AF back until I cut down to that AM/PM nursing (that is late; most people get it back sooner).  When I cut down and got AF (indicating that my hormones were back to normal), I lost another 5 pounds.

Anyway.  Not a magic solution!  But just be aware that your metabolism is not "normal" right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, Kar. It's good advice. I've been counting calories for years though admittedly since DS was born I more just estimated. I have started using a calorie tracking app, but no progress so far :(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're doing that, and you are not making any progress, you are likely overestimating your calorie needs.  Go to a calorie calculator, enter your height and weight, and add 300 calories (to account for bf'ing) to whatever it tells you to see what you are burning every day.  Then, to lose weight, obviously eat as much less than that as you can without impacting your milk supply and add excercise to reduce how many calories you need to cut.

Breastfeeding adds some energy requirements, but not enough for you to be able to eat with impunity (as many new moms assume).  As you already know, 300 calories is 3 apples, or a regular sized pancake, or a light PB&J sandwich, for instance (regular is 450).

ETA:  And, if your metabolism is a little slower that will impact the equation, but imo not so much that you should put off counting calories and aiming for a reasonable daily deficit with respect to what you're eating and your daily activity level.  If you can lift weights 3 times a week, you'll combat a lower metabolism; muscle burns more calories at rest than anything else in your body.  The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn even in your sleep!

ETA #2:  If you replace all white flour with 100% whole grains, incorporate legumes, salads with light dressing, etc., you'll be able to get by with fewer calories and stay satiated.  It's when you blow calories on junk food (200 - 300 calories here and there) that you run way over and you're still hungry all the time.  I'm not accusing you of doing that, just commenting in general.

Nutrition is a passion of mine, can you tell? :)

ETA #3:  OK, sorry - this will be it.  You might not be burning the average number of calories for breast feeding if you are supplementing with formula.  I was assuming 300 for someone exclusively bf'ing.  If you are supplementing by 1/2, reduce that estimate to only 150 calories extra a day. :(

If your app continues to not be effective, decrease your calories per day (or up your exercise, ideally) until it is.  It really is simple physics, nothing mysterious.  Your metabolism might be slower, as med said, and the app wouldn't know that and would overestimate, therefore, how many calories you're burning.  You'll have to account for that yourself.  I'd reduce my need estimate by 5% weekly until I saw the scale go down by 1/3 - 1/2 lb in a week.