March Infants and toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: March Infants and toddlers

On another topic: haircuts for girls?  Who's done it and where and how old?  DH just sent me a pic of DD (he's home with her this morning) and that girl needs a haircut!  I know a lot of people do it themselves, but I have never done any such thing and am afraid I'd botch it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Although I have not cut DD2's hair yet (even though she needs it we can't ever seem to get there), for the other 2 I used/use SnipIts.  I did trim DD1's bangs the first couple of times when we had a family trip to Disney come up at 11 months I didn't not want true photographic proof of my inability to cut a straight line.  So off to SnipIts we went.  While they are pricey (~$20) and can be very very busy depending on when you go, I love the fact that they KNOW how to deal with kids while they are cutting their hair.  Some are better than others but that's true of hairdressers in general.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Arcain - we used the bundleme too.  The thing to remember with them though is that they are WARM.  Babies don't usually need a coat if you have the budleme on. We loved it but would just unzip the top durin the car ride.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Arcain... that is wonderful that he is happy in his crib.  We did the same thing with DS right away... and now he always goes to bed awake and puts himself to sleep.  He's almost 17mths and has been doing that since day one.  We do have a music "aquarium" that sings for about 10 minutes.  He has always loved that, and now can put it on and off on his own.  Every now and then at 3am I will hear it go on (on the monitor) and love that he knows how to lull himself back to sleep.  So he's not at all too young to be left alone awake in his safe place.  I think that is a great sign.

We were given the Bundle Me and used it for about a week.  DS would be drenched with sweat.  Although he's a very warm kid whereas I've heard others loved it.  And we didn't use coats either.  Just put him in and covered the bucket with a nice, warm blanket.  Worked for us.

Poppy, we used Snip Its... and first official haircut was at 13 mths (in fact I posted a pic on our FB page back then).  DS had so much hair that I've been cutting it since 4 mths.  We have gone back once more since.  Cute place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks IPW and dz!  dz, how old was your DD?  IPW, I'm glad that your DS could handle it at 13 months!  Gives me hope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Arcain - I've seen the elastic type car seat covers, they have a "hole" for the baby's head to poke through. I believe they sold them at Isis this winter but I bet they don't have any more in stock now since it is almost spring.  My DD was born in mid February a few years ago and we just ended up tucking a fleece receiving blanket or two around her in the car and put a hat on her and it was fine.  Soon enough the weather will be more mild and the BundleMe and other covers will likely be too warm.

POppy - My DD is two and we've never cut her hair! :)  We put it up a lot and only just recently it has started to look less mullet-esque and cute so she can wear it down.  I'm sure we'll cut it at some point so I'm eager to hear others' suggestions.  I've heard Snipits is good for boys haircuts but not so great for girls, although i'm sure it depends on which one you go to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DD1 was 10 months for her "official" first hair cut although I had trimmed (badly) her bangs 2-3 times before that starting at 4 monthish.  DD1, actually all of them, cam out with a full head of hair that she at least never lost.  She went through what DH and I call the punk rocker stage (I'll have to post the pic on facebook) at 3-4 months.

DS had his first hair cut at 14 months or so.  His hair was getting longer than DD2's and it was really starting to bother DH.  ;-)

Like I said, DD2 hasn't had a hair cut yet at 17 months.  Since I vowed to never do bangs again after the nightmare it was while DD1's grew out, DD2's hair goes up in a ponytail a la Pebbles every morning.  DD2 could use a trim to tidy everything up but it's hard to get to SnipIts and I start to have a panic attack at the thought of taking all three to get a hair cut at the same time.

DD1 and DS were both fine when they got their hair cut (both cried just a smidgen when they heard someone else crying.  I won't start on DD1's sympathetic crying issues for her first year or so).  It took some time occasionally to get their head pointed in the direction the hairdresser wanted but they know what they are doing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Arcain - to answer your question about pumping while trying to take care of the baby by yourself....do you have a hands-free pumping bra?  I used that all the time and it should help.  Although there will be times that you will probably just need to put the baby down.

As for me, DD is 19 months old now....that sounds so much older to me than 18 months!  She is also having a language explosion and seems to learn a new word practically every day.  One favorite now is "mickey."  We have watched mickey mouse clubhouse a few times and now she says his name really clearly.  She will hand the remote to me and say "mickey" over and over....it is hard not to give in every time because it is so cute!  She also will ask for her "dada" and say the dog's name as soon as she wakes up in the morning.  Another new thing is that she will answer "no" to questions when she doesn't want something.  She doesn't say it to all questions, so I think she actually understands.  Like, " do you want some blueberries?"....then DD with a big "no"!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - I pumped for a while after my twins were born.  I pumped while they napped. So after they ate and went to sleep, I'd sit and pump for 20 minutes or so.  If I can do it with two - you should have no problem with one. :)
    And we used the bundleme as well.  As someone else said, it's March and you can probably get away with a fleece blanket and a hat.
    Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, SilverFiesta - she's 1 already?  WOW!  Happy birthday to little SF!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Arcain - One thing that helped me get my supply up in the beginning was power pumping. 10 mins on, 10 mins off, 10 mins on, 10 mins off, 10 mins on. I would do it at night when I knew DD would be down for awhile and while DH was home. It was a good time to catch up on the DVR or read the message boards. During the day it can be hard because you finally get set up and then you know the baby will cry. I would get a hands free bra and throw the parts in the fridge between pumps so you're not constantly washing them (also get some extra parts). It was exhausting in the beginning but in no time you and the baby will have a "schedule" and it will get a lot easier.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Arcain.. I have the pump set up on our spare bed that is in DD's room.  I'll put her in the boppy pillow on the bed while I pump and talk to her if she's awake.  There have been a few times that she has started crying and I just have to finish pumping.  I hate hearing her cry... but I've come to terms with the fact that it will happen and there are sometimes that I will just need to let her cry.  I usually only pump for 4-5 minutes tops.  Sometimes even less if I letdown right away.  To minimize set up time, I have 8 bottles that I can swap in and out.  I clean the shields once a day.  BM is good at room temperature for quite a while (6-8 hours)... and since I usually only get 0.5-1 oz at a time, I'll pump once, leave what I get in the bottles, pump again a few hours later, empty that milk into a bottle that I'll give her (my pump does not work with the wide mouth bottles I use for feeding DD) and swap clean bottles onto the pump.  Every now and then I get dried milk stuck to me because I don't clean the shields every time... but oh well.. its not worth the 10 minutes to walk to the kitchin, clean, dry, and walk back to DDs room.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Question about frozen BM... how do you thaw it?  I know it sounds like a silly question... but I'm trying to get things in place for when I go back to work in 3 weeks.  I am finally starting to build a small stash of frozen BM.  DD was so slow to gain weight that I'd been giving her everything I was pumping as supplements until this week.  She finally broke the 9lb mark and has chubby cheeks again, so I thought it was safe to give her 4oz and freeze 4oz/day.  That is enough that I'll have about a weeks worth when I go back to work.  So for daycare, what is the procedure for thawing and filling bottles?  Do I take it out a day ahead of time to fill bottles the night before?  Soak in hot water?  Use a bottle warmer?  Just leave at room temp?  I've heard frozen BM is only good for 24 hours once thawed, so do you fill the bottles in the AM rather than the night before?    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Can you guys help me with "Cooking"?  My 27 mth DD wants to help "cut" when I am making dinner.  I try to give her other things to do like helping me to pour the water in the pan or open the box of pasta or mix a bowl or something but she keeps asking to "cut da carrots".  I tried giving her a fake knive from her toy kitchen but she was not buying that, lol!  Any idea's?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good morning.  I usually post over in Pregnancy (due June 7th) but wanted to pass along this information:

BostonGirl passed along the following website back in January: http://thechildrensclosetsale.webs.com/

I just checked and their first spring sale is this weekend: Saturday 8-5 and Sunday 9-12. It's at the St. Mary School - 106 Washington St, Taunton, MA. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Savvy-DS went through the same phase-I ended up giving him a plastic knife-the kind you get with take out and then gave him veggies to cut-tomato, pepper, etc..you can't really hurt yourself on the knife. DS was about the same age. I of course talked alot about how sharp the knife was and why he always had to be careful with it etc. Now at 3 he's moved up to using a butter knife to help cut.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Savvy: Would your LO be fooled with these?
    My 22 month old loves it but there is is big difference between 22 and 27 months!

I also used and still use the bundle me.  It's is not very puffy at all and only under the back so I have no problem with it.

Poppy - my DD can be straggly too, but i'm holding out on cutting her hair.  She's just started being okay with a little ponytail on top of her head, so that's a breakthrough!

Bostongirl - I usually thaw overnight or in warm (not hot) water if I need it right away.

AFM: DS is doing a lot better, but still not taking as much in terms of breastmilk as he used to. But he seems happy enough, so we'll keep plugging along and offering him more frequent feeds.  

DD is a little parrot so we really have to watch what we say.  She repeats literally everything.  I can't believe she'll be 2 next month!!!!  I guess I have to start thinking about what we'll do for her b-day!!!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Boston - I used to put the frozen BM in the fridge the night before and put the bottles on the counter; make the bottles in the AM.  However, I would only have to do this on Monday.  For Tuesday, I would put Monday's pump work into bottles on Monday night and send them to day care Tuesday AM.  Repeat.  Then on Friday, freeze that day's pump work.  Incidentally, they thaw MUCH faster if you freeze them flat, not standing up.

Savvy - that's adorable.  I recently read this article, which I loved.  It has a link for a two handed chopper.  The kid in this article is 3, but maybe something to keep in mind for the future:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2012/03/children_cooking_how_young_can_they_be_.html

I loved this because I totally plan on making DD my kitchen minion.  She is only 19 months so she mostly pretends to help, like I give her some measuring spoons and an empty baking soda container and mixing bowl.
    But I was wondering: she could totally help me bake stuff but I'm worried about raw eggs.  When is she old enough to eat cookie dough??  (I know the real answer might be 'no one should eat raw cookie dough!', but it's going to happen.)  Although now that I've been rambling on, I'm thinking I could make pizza dough with her which has no eggs.

We are having a talking explosion and it is so awesome.  Favorites right now are "lap", "run", and "vroom".  Every time she says a new word, though, it makes me feel like she's growing up soooo fast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

IPW- Im glad I am not the only one that cuts a infants hair so soon!  DS hair was out of control so we have been cutting it since 4 months.  My husband does it but this last time he went to short and I hated it.  It was a buzz cut.  It is just starting to grow back in.

Poppy, DD first hair cut was just about 1.  We have a friend hairdresser do it at her house.  After the first cut it grew in thick, beautiful and curly.  She has the BEST hair.  If anyone has seen my pics on the facebook page you know what I am talking about.   I hope one day I dont cut it and the curls are gone. Still to this day I dont know where the curly hair came from.  Everyone has straight hair on both sides. 

I also use the bundle with DD and now with DS.  Both kids are big sweaters so I have to be careful.  I usually pull the top back in the car.  Both kids were/are plenty warm with just a cotton outfit on.  I dont even use a hat.

on another note, isnt this weather fabulous?  We played outside yesterday and although I am work today, I plan on going home and heading right into the yard.  This is too good not to take advantage of.  I dressed DD in scrbby clothes today because I know they will go to the park with daycare and everything is so muddy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Saavy - What if you got a salad spinner and gave her the chore of spinning the salads and veggies, or a hand held veggie chopper like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-VeggiChop-Vegetable-Chopper-Arugula/dp/B00196R9PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331223925&sr=8-1 DD (18 months, uses our salad spinner as a toy)

Milestone at our house this AM. DD is wearing barrettes and loving it!  She can't stop looking in the mirror at herself (so I am told) and the wild, wild hair is somewhat tame - at least in the front. If I can get a good picture, I'll throw it on the facebook page, but she looks so cute!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Bostongrl - A great tip I read on here was to freeze BM flat in the bags, so that it thaws quickly.  I would take it out the night before, put it in cool water (not even luke warm, but not freezing cold either), leave it for 30-60 mins and then make the bottles for the next day.
    A lot depends on your daycare.  I preferred to make all 3 bottles and drop them off ready to go, but my daycare was willing to have a stash of BM (either frozen or fresh) to make bottles.  Some daycares won't handle BM, but she had done it that way for another child.

AFM - We had DD's one year appt.  She is 22 lbs 11 oz and 29 1/2 inches.  It's funny because people always comment that she will be taller than me, but she is only 57% for height... Although anything above average would be taller than me!  I felt so bad for her when she got the shots, on top of being ready for a nap and teething!  One of her top teeth has come through and the other is right there.
    She has been babbling like crazy lately and I love it!  Her actual words so far are dada, mama, no, and tickle tickle tickle :o)
    I think I jumped the gun on my walking announcement.  She can get from point a to point b, but most of the time she still wants to crawl.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all. I found one of the elastic covers - a Jolly Jumper - on Amazon. I know we hopefully don't have much more cold weather ahead but I can't wait for 60 degree days like today to bust out the stroller! Boston, I like your pumping method. I've used both the boppy and the swing and usually I manage to finish before DS fusses. Im sure I will have to just let him cry sometimes. I made my own hands free bra by cutting holes in an old sports bra, so hopefully that'll help too. My big issue is time. DS's feedings, including pumping, can last up to an hour and a half. I attempt to bf for 20 -30 mins, wait to see if he fusses for a bottle, get him one, get him MORE if he really fusses for it (he's been taking 2+ oz after bfing!), then get him calm enough to go down for me to pump. I do know it'll get easier as feedings are spaced more but I do wonder how long this will be tenable for. I think it's complicated by the fact that I'm worried DS is starting to actively reject the breast. Several feedings the last few days he's barely tried despite all my prodding, bu then he cries for a bottle and chug it. I knew this was a possibility when we had to start supplementing but I didn't think it could happen so soon. So on top of all the time spent, I'm stressed and often weepy at feedings when he won't bf. In other, related news, we had DS's tongue tie clipped yesterday. My dad came with and stayed in the room while they did it, which made it a little less agonizing for me! It really was a quick and easy procedure though, and DS only cried for a couple minutes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Stupid buggy posting...to add to my last post, I'm really glad we clipped the tie and I see a difference in how DS moves his mouth now. Of course it's ironic that the same day we did it was his worst bfing day yet... Sorry for the long rant! I feel bad I can't comment much on others' posts yet since I'm so new to this!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Also, sort of dumb question re refrigerating pump parts: is that bc refrigerating preserves the old milk so it's ok if it goes in with the new? Do you keep them in an open or closed container?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ok, DS has been fussy this a.m. But is now asleep on my chest and I don't dare move him. Sitting here I'm thinking of all the questions I have, hence all the posts! Has anyone else experienced a super grunty newborn? DS is 18 days and seems to grunt, squeak, and squirm every time he's awake, and often in his sleep. It's kind of funny but also makes me worry he's uncomfortable. We wondered if it was gas but it happens just as much after he's pooped.

Sections
Shortcuts