March Infants and toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Re: March Infants and toddlers

I don't normally post here, but I just read this about EP'ing and thought that it might be helpful to Arcain and anyone else interested. A first hand account of an EP'er.

http://www.hellobee.com/2012/03/16/exclusive-pumping-vs-breastfeeding/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

It was DD's 3rd birthday over the weekend (St. Patrick's Day!).  We just had immediate family over (aunts & uncles in the area, cousins, and grandparents) but it still felt like a LOT of people in our little house.  Of course they showered her with way too many gifts.  We recently purged the downstairs of less-used toys and organized our storage bins in the basement so it's not too bad, but it was still a little overwhelming.  Between all the party preparations, the party itself, cleanup, and then my Mum's VERY Irish (and very mandatory) St. Patrick's Day shindig yesterday (she made the concession of moving it so we could have DD"s birthday on the actual day), I'm feeling absolutely wiped out and exhausted going into this week.  Plus, it's ELA MCAS at the high school so I've got a long week ahead.

The birthday was great, though.  We gave her a bike with training wheels and a helmet.  We've started practicing.  She's ALMOST able to pedal consistently without assistance.  She still sometimes struggles with pushing the pedal backwards, making the bike stop.  I can tell if we practice she'll be cruising around easily in a week or so.  I'll be happy when I can just stand there and watch her, rather then bend over and help her.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi all!
    Arcain - how's the pumping going?  I think the ladies here gave you good advice.  I have to say, I breastfed my daughter for a year, and I absolutely HATED pumping.  I was lucky to be in a position where she nursed well, and I was able to juggle my work schedule (mostly) around her feedings such that I only had to pump once a day at work.  Now that I'm PG with No 2, I am really dreading having to start that process again, and a little nervous because my work is not nearly as flexible as it was a few years ago and it's likely I will either have to pump a few times/day at work or feed formula during the day and bf in the morning and at night.  All this to say - I think EP is very difficult and kudos to you for attempting it, but please don't put too much pressure on yourself and if it is making you miserable, consider switching to formula.

LIssa-Sounds like a nice birthday for DD.  We have a little bike for my DD who is 2, and she was playing with it a lot yesterday but completely unable to do the pedals and my DH and I were wondering when she would have the coordination to do it herself because we were sick of bending over too!  GL to your DD!

AFM - thanks for all of your advice about airplanes!  DD and I traveled successfully for our girls trip last week.  She did great on the plane!  All of your tips about new cheap toys and such were great :)  The other thing that was wonderful was that we ended up getting to Logan pretty early (because I was so nervous about going through security that I left myself about 2 hours extra time), and there was a childrens playspace in the Delta terminal where she played for almost 45 minutes before we had to get on the plane. It was so great because she was able to run and slide and climb and by the time we got on the plane, she was tired and ready to sit and relax.  On our way back, we weren't as lucky because the airport we were flying out of didn't have a playspace butI had her walk to the gate and we ran around a little before the flight.  We used the CARES safety strap on the plane instead of the carseat and she liked it because she could use the tray table, and I liked it because her feet couldn't reach to kick the seat in front of her :)  Thanks to all for your encouraging words!! Thankfully, on our next airplane trip, my DH will be with us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, kudos to Delta.  Glad you had a great trip, rama!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Rama - congrats... you are inspiring me to plan a family vacation that includes airline travel :-)

And congrats Lissa for your successful party... happy birthday to your DD!  

We got my nephew's (now 4) very first bike handed to us this weekend.  It is so cute.  Put my 17 mth old on and he was really excited to hold the handle bars, and even though his feet touch the pedels through the whole cycle around... he had absolutely no idea what we were doing.  Yes, I can imagine getting a very bad back doing that more often.

BTW, we talked about that French baby book either in this or another post.  If anyone is looking for something that is just really funny and not too serious... Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers.  I'm halfway through and I'm giggling the whole way.  I read her Guide to Pregnancy and didn't realized she continued the series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all. Re: the wedding, we definitely want to go, and thanks for the advice on the plane -- we didn't get a seat for DS. Since DH's whole family will be flying with us, he'll likely be held the whole time anyway. I've decided to keep trying with the bfing, but I'm now only doing it every other feeding. I just can't handle the time and the frustration at every feeding, but I'm not ready to give up. DS does well with it maybe 30% of the time, and even then he's still hungry after 30+ mins, and I usually wait until he comes off on his own before stopping. Fram, you don't sound pushy at all! A typical feeding including bfing is 30 mins bfing, 20-30 mins with a bottle supplement (bmilk when I have it, formula when I don't), and 20 mins pumping. Since DS is still feeding about every 2 hours, this is most of my day! I'm just hoping I can hold out until the feedings are a little less frequent. Either that or I'll have another meltdown and give up bfing, but. I don't see that happening. We're slow feeding with the bottle to try and minimize the disruption to bfing, but so far the only effect seems to be that DS is as slow and ineffective at the bottle as he is at the breast :).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Got cut off again... The biggest issue we've had lately is DS being constantly hungry. I'll bf, we'll give a 2 oz supplement, and he'll scream for more, even if we distract him and give him time, but according to docs and books, he isn't supposed to eat that much (he's 4 weeks and only 7 lbs bc he was small at birth). Lissa, happy birthday to your DD! Rama, glad the trip went well! IPW, so fun about the bike!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The docs and books are not dealing with him.  Not every baby falls right on the center line of the curve for their dietary needs.  There are babies in the curve's "tails" to the far left, not eating "enough" and to the far right, eating "too much" compared to all other babies.  At that age the only reason they want food is to satisfy actual hunger which is driven by a complicated system of brain chemistry that satifisfies his particular physiological needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Arcain - I agree with Kar.  You are his mom.  If you think he wants more to eat try it.  He'll let you know if it's too much in the form for spitting it back up on you.  I feed all of my children on demand (including the twins) as much as they wanted.  Definitely there were times when it was too much and I paid for it (although after the excess quickly came back out, the babies never seemed uncomfortable) and then I would cut back a little until we reached a happy medium.  I know there are "rules" for how much and how often to feed babies but all babies are different.

I just saw my cousin who had a baby a few months ago.  She said the pedi was horrified that they were giving him 6 oz a bottle and told them to cut back.  When she told the story to us, the 5 other moms in the room told her that in our experience (13 kids worth) if you listen to the baby (and I do have a friend whose crazy husband insisted on stuffing their son like a turkey to the point of following him around the room with bottle/food) and stop offering the food when they turn away from the bottle it's hard to over feed a baby.

They come out with the perfect sense of eating correctly and then we break them.  :-)  I have a very laid back approach to eating which drives my in laws and father crazy. They'll eat when they are hungry. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

yeah, arcain i don't get that.  shouldn't you be feeding your baby as much as he wants at this age???  poor thing... (you and him!)  what you're going through is the HARDEST part, at least it was for me... hang in there!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

arcain-feed that little boy as much as you think he wants/needs. I swear DD started eating 4oz bottles early on (prob around or before 1 mo), getting raised eyebrows from our pedi, but whatever, she was happy. At 6 mon old she eats 5 oz bottles now when she is "supposed" to eat more per bottle. She's on the low end of consumption "norm" for her age group. but she was on the high end early on and has leveled out.

On demand feeding is what you should do. Trust your mommy gut and do what you think is right. As hard as it is to ignore all the books, but you truly know what is best for your baby and follow his cues. You won't break him if you feed him more than what the text books say.

And I did your feeding schedule with the BF, supplement, pump. Take it easy! It's not easy and is mentally draining. I wish I hadn't stressed so much in teh beginning with DS-and just feed him the way that got food into him and enjoyed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Rama and others - I am wondering about the CARES safety strap for the plane.  We are going to Florida next month and DD will be almost 21 months at the time.  It is a direct flight and we bought her a seat.  In the past we have had her sit in her convertible car seat, but with the incline of the airplane seat she has had a tough time getting comfortable (and not slept much).  Do you think I might be better off using the CARES safety strap?  Would she be old enough for it? I can picture she might think it would be fun to sit like a big girl in her own seat.  But, then I will have to worry about whether the car seat gets damaged while going through the checked luggage.  Thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all, I will trust my gut on the feeding, and FWIW, the nurse at his 1 mo checkup today totally echoed what you all are saying. The only times I'm still not sure about are when he spits up and then seems to want more food, even after we give him time. In any case, he's up to 8 lbs from his 5 lb 11 oz birthweight, so DH and I are hoping we'll turn a corner soon where he'll be able to eat more in a single sitting so we're not spending all our time with him either feeding, prepping for a feeding, or cleaning up from a feeding :). S I mentioned spitting up and gas to the pedi today. DS spits up at least a little after the majority of feedings, and occasionally a lot. He also seems gassy and uncomfortable after a lot of them, though he doesn't usually cry for long, more just grunts and fusses. The pedi recommended mixing some baby oatmeal in his bottles every other feeding. Anyone else done this to deal with spit up and/or gas? Thanks for putting up with all my questions...I was just starting to feel like a knowledgeable preggo, and then DS arrived and I'm a total newb again :).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you see the article on grunting I posted?  DS might be OK with what you're doing now and his eating schedule will change naturally as he grows, anyway.  But, try the oatmeal (a common suggestion for excessive spit-up) and see if it seems like a positive change.  You'll know - trust your instincts.  I believe if he were having real digestive trouble he'd fuss and grunt (and probably more signs) for more than a few minutes after eating, though.  My digestive system wasn't fully developed when I was born (a month early) and I wimpered, unable to cry, incessantly after eating anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

memes-We have the CARES harness. Its much nicer than carrying the carseat on board. We actually don't take a car seat with us for our big trips abroad. We have the in-laws have one for us when we arrive. In the past when DS was 9 mo we did go to Orlando and checked the carseat. It came out just fine from checked luggage (and the airlines check it for free-even if you don't buy a seat for the baby) though we did buy a padded bag to carry it in.

We first used it when DS was 18 mo, and he sat fine in it.

One thing I've done with the CARES harness, is take a scarf and make a crotch strap with it. So I tie it from around the shoulder have DS sit on it and tie it between his legs so he doesn't slip out from under if he's sleeping/slouching. It doesn't limit how quickly you can get your LO out of the harness in an emergency.

Some flight attendants have questioned it and if it's FAA approved. It has a tag right on it showing it is FAA approved. The flight attendants might ask you to demonstrate how to get your LO out. After that we've found the rest of the attendents on the flight will come by to see it. They all have been interested in it.

If you travel a lot I think it's a good investment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Arcain, I'm really shocked that your peditrician recommended not only giving a one month old oatmeal, but also putting it in his bottle.  A one month old does always have an underdeveloped digestive system and most are very gassy.  Giving him oatmeal would only make it worse (or at least that's what I thought).  Giving it to him in his bottle is a choking hazard.   His weight gain sounds just a bit above average, and like I said gassy/fussy is common and so is spitting up.  To help with gas, you can try putting pressure on his tummy by putting him over your knee on his tummy with his legs at a 90 degree angle.  It's very soothing.  Also, have you tried a binky?  He might not be hungry and instead just needs to satisfy his need to s*ck.  Good luck.  It's all normal newborn stuff. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Arcain - What type of formula are you using when you supplement?  I would try a sensitive type and see if that helps with gas, he also may need to be burped more frequently within the feeding.  DS grunted a lot as a newborn (esp at night) and I thought he had silent reflux, turns out he was just hungry.  If you want to up his bottle feeding I'd try going up a 1/2 oz at a time.  I think I had been giving DS 3oz (at 1 week old) and he needed 4.5 to keep him happy. 

As far as the oatmeal goes I'm not sure how that would help gas - I've never heard of that for a solution before.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Today I feel like a totally psycho new mom.  Yesterday I called our daycare provider to set up a time next week to bring by diapers, clothes, etc for when DD starts in a week and a half and I just got a really bad vibe from the call.  When I mentioned that I'd bring pacifiers to leave with her, the response was "ok, if that is what you want" ... which through me off but whatever.  I went on to ask how she would like to handle bottles, which she assumed I'd be using formula so I corrected her and said that it would be breastmilk and that I'd like to leave a day's worth in her freezer as back up.  Again was the response "ok, if that is what you want" but in a weird tone.  Then I said I would also bring a swaddle wrap to leave with her because I'd been having good luck getting DD to nap when I swaddle her.  The provider's response to that was a surprised "how old is she? I believe babies should be taught to sleep naturally, and does she roll yet?" I was totally flabergasted at the tone of the response and question.  No, she is only 10weeks, she doesn't roll and swaddling is a perfectly normal thing to be doing for a baby her age. 

Anyways... this exchange has me rethinking my assumptions about this provider.   Now that I think back she has phrased things that make me think she has a very strong idea of how "things should be done" and might be very inflexible.  What annoyed/bothered me was that she kept jumping to conclusions. She has never met my DD yet, so I was just trying to help in saying that we've been finding a pacifier and a swaddle helpful and it was like she immediately jumped to a weird tone of voice and telling me her philosophy on things. 

In the fall, I had a really hard time deciding between two providers and opted for this one based on location and the fact that she has both a full time and part time assistant and therefore only close 1 week a year.  I can't help but rethink my decision since I had a better connection with the other provider even though the location is slightly inconvenient and she takes 3 weeks off per year.  I feel crazy reconsidering this all just a week before I go back to work... and it is really difficult to pinpoint what is bothering me but the mommy instincts are on high alert right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - oatmeal for gas at 4 weeks old? I was told to NEVER put baby cereal in the bottle. We used Mylicon drops with a lot of success for gas. They are available over the counter in the baby department at CVS etc. Totally harmless - but you can call your crazy peid to check if you want.
    FWIW I would think that oatmeal, even a small amount, would totally clog the level 1 n!pple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

I've never heard of oatmeal for a 1-month old. Not to be dense but wouldn't it clog up the nipple?  Maybe your son is working so hard at the bfeeding that he's burning the calories he's consuming so needs more. My DS was taking 4 oz most of the time even at one month (though I'd given up bfeeding and was pumping so knew how much he was getting). Seemed like a lot but every baby is different.

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (in my mind $200 or less) stroller that is easy to fold and has a decent basket for storage?  The sidewalks in my neighborhood are in rough shape so I'd also want something with decent wheels to handle the bumps.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've heard of that oatmeal advice being given for babies that young for those issues.  But, I wonder if it's for the babies, or is the point really to strengthen the mom/doctor (customer/business owner) relationship?  Hate to suggest that, but...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Arcain, has your pedi ruled out reflux?  Constant hunger (from trying to soothe reflux by eating/sucking), discomfort, and even gassiness (from gulping), plus spitting up, could be signs of acid reflux.  My DD didn't have major reflux with tons of spitting up, but she would gulp and cry through bottles and would do a lot of arching and squirming while eating, so my pedi did think it was reflux and Zantac did help.  We used Good Start Protect formula which is broken down a bit more than other formulas and easier to digest, and th Protect line has probiotics in it... all helpful for GI discomfort.  The oatmeal recommendation at that age is surprising and sounds a little old school to me in terms of my mom and MIL telling me about putting rice cereal in the bottle "back in the day" when babies were colicky, seemed extra hungry, or to sleep through the night.  I thought that was typically not recommended nowadays however.  I might think oatmeal might cause more discomfort or gas, but I'm not a doctor.  I do think some of the reflux formulas have rice integrated in them to make them heavier and stay "down," so that again makes me wonder if your doc might be considering reflux.  I also agree with TC's post that I've heard there is a certain amount of time "working" at BFing or even bottle feeding that can become counterproductive b/c they are burning more calories from trying to eat than taking in actually eating. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Memes - Yes, we used the CARES safety strap on our trip last week and I highly recommend it.  It's FAA approved for use for children 20-40 lbs.  My DD is about 26 lbs and it was perfect for her.  It's very easy to set up and when you buy it, it comes with a video demonstrating how to attach it to the seat.  My DD really liked having her own seat and she had a lot more room than she would have if she was in the carseat.  The last time we flew using a carseat we had all sorts of problems - She was constantly kicking the airplane seat in front of her and the way the carseat has to rest on the airplane seat meant that she was sitting slightly forward and couldn't see me sitting next to her so I spent much of the flight in a contorted position leaning forward so she could see me, very uncomfortable.  CARES eliminated this entirely and she did very well on the plane both there and back.  On the flight there the flight attendant had seen the CARES system used before, and she raved about how she thought the airlines should have them on board.  On the flight back the flight attendant hadn't seen it before and was initially skeptical of it but once I showed her the tag that said it was FAA approved she didn't give me any trouble.  We didn't check a carseat because we were visiting relatives and they had an extra one for her to use but I think it would be fine - I'd probably wrap it in a heavy duty plastic bag or buy a carrier for it to protect it from any damage.  The CARES strap is available at Buy Buy Baby and we used a 20% off coupon when we bought it.

Boston - Regarding your daycare situation, I think that it is totally normal to have the feelings you are feeling.  It's SO hard going back to work and preparing to leave your baby with virtually a total stranger!! In your mind, you are trying to set the baby up to have as positive of a day as possible, and I agree that the daycare should be sympathetic to your feelings and listen to your helpful tips about what makes your baby calm and happy.  By all means, if you don't feel like you will click with this particular daycare, I'd consider switching.  However, I will say that you may run into these issues with most any daycare provider you find.  Bottom line is that it's hard to have someone else watch your baby and control everything they do throughout the day.  They will most likely have their own way of caring for the baby, and you will have to trust they will take good care of your baby in their own way. My daycare provider that I have been using for my daughter for the past year and a half is wonderful and we are planning on dropping baby No. 2 with her once she is three months old, but she does certain things differently from how I do them, and, interestingly, my daughter behaves differently at daycare than at home.  For example, my DD still uses pacifier at home for naps and at night (I know, I know!) and one day a few months ago when I picked her up from daycare, the provider told me not to bring a pacifier with me the next time my DD was there because she was no longer using the pacifier for her naps.  I was shocked!  At home there is no way that she would go down for a nap w/out her pacifier but apparently at daycare she does.  So, basically, what I am trying to say is that it's very important to have a mutually respectful relationship with the person you are leaving your baby with during the day, and its very important for her to listen to your suggestions of what has worked well for your baby, but inevitably, there will be differences between how you take care of the baby and how the daycare does it, and I think that is something that is important to be at peace with going into the situation. I just focus on the fact that my daycare has been operating for 15 years and the provider clearly knows what she is doing. Ive been there enough times at pick up and drop off to see her interact with the children and see the children playing etc. to feel comfortable that she is taking good care of my DD even if some of her methods are different from mine.

Oh, regarding her questions about whether the baby can roll etc. - I don't think it's super crazy that she didn't know that stuff.  My DD is 25 months and when she was a newborn through about 6 months, I remembered every single milestone and exactly when she achieved it. But now I honestly can't remember the first time she rolled over and when she stopped the swaddle.  (I have it written down, thankfully).  If this particular daycare provider hasn't had a newborn in a few months, I think it's perfectly acceptable that she "forgets" what a typical 10 week old baby is able to do, and whether a swaddle is still used.  Bottom line - you have to be comfortable and if you aren't, I think you should switch providers BUT I think you should know that there will inevitably be differences in style that arise between you and the provider..very normal!! Good luck and try to enjoy your last few weeks of maternity leave!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ok, now I'm questioning our choice of pedi. We haven't done the oatmeal yet, partly bc I was skeptical about it and you all are reinforcing that. This wasn't DS's regular doc, but it's only a 2 person practice and they must share some beliefs if they share patients. I may start looking elsewhere...this just has me a bit uncomfortable about his care. MM and KT, they haven't ruled out reflux, but think it's mild if he has it (since he's not inordinately fussy/crying). We've been using Similac Sensitive for spit up this week, and it's improved that, if not the fussiness. We may try another sensitive formula. Does anyone know, if it's borderline whether he needs it or not, if there's any downside to using sensitive formula? Man, I wish I could just breast feed and avoid all this... Boston, I think Rama's advice is spot on. I haven't had to deal with daycare yet, though we have one lined up, but I'd think some of this may be anxiety over having to leave DD to go back to work. And Rama is right that a daycare provider is inevitably going to ave their own way of doing things. That said, it sounds like your provider could use a lesson in diplomacy/customer service. You are the mother, and, while she has a right to say "This is how I do things at my daycare," she should respect your preferences and encourage dialogue and it doesn't sound like she's doing that. If you don't have serious concerns about the care your DD will receive with her, I'd probably give it a month or so trial period, maybe interviewing other providers in the interim, and try to ave some open conversations with her about your different styles/preferences. It may be, as you get to know her, you find that you respect each other's methods and you're okay with some things being different at daycare, or you may find you can't communicate and need to find a new place. For me, I think the communication aspect would be most important.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It would make me uncomfortable, too, Arcain.  I hate to suggest that he might have told you to do that simply to make you happy, but there are unreasonable patients (not you!) who accuse them of dismissing their concerns so there are doctors who choose to pander so as to avoid conflict, therefore, instead of giving the best medical advice.  Those are the types of doctors who choose to over-prescribe antibiotics, for instance, rather than send unhappy patients home with nothing even if nothing is what's really indicated.

Sections
Shortcuts