March Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: March Infants and Toddlers

Again - thanks everyone. I won't hijack further with my OT woes. Suffice it to say that while I was on the phone with a doctor, my two little rascals climbed the cat gate again. So I've made them clean up the mess they made in their room. I think I ended up doing more than they did - but they did make an attempt. DS did line up all his cars by his bed and DD collected all her beloved menagerie of ducks and put them by her bed - so that was a start. I had a harder time getting them to put the books back - but we got there in the end.

And as Lady Grantham said this season on Downton Abbey, "Grief is the price we pay for love."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Excellent quote. Just finished Seasion 2 myself and looking forward to starting season 3 if I can ever find the time... There seems to be a direct correlation between me pressing "play" on the dvr and someone needing me...

I love that your DD has a "beloved menagerie of ducks" - how cute! Have you gone to visit the "ducklings" in the public garden yet? I'm hoping to get there this spring or summer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Misslily - sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope things ease up for you (and her)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - bring a box of tissues with you for Season 3. I think I cried every week. I just adore that show.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

It may be time to talk to the palliative care and/or hospice people about your mother, if there is no clear indication that any medical interventions are going to help her very much.  Or at least a third party who can look at the choices more objectively?

And I will second what another poster already said:  With an elderly person with advanced cancer and already one stroke, no reasonable choice is going to be "killing" them.  Their disease and their age are doing that.  Perhaps one can slow it down, or help them have a better quality of life for a time (or both) but you can never know for sure.  If you are making reasonable choices on her behalf (and sometimes, doing nothing more is reasonable) you should not feel guilty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for the advice on naps!

We have our P&S date, and I am so excited! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks again everyone. I'm pushing like mad for palliative care and nothing more. As I said before, I was against the chemo, but my mom wanted to try. I wasn't at the meetings with the oncology group and I have to wonder what sort of odds they gave her and if they told her all the risks. In the end, however, it was her choice since she was fully capable of making those decisons for herself.

Now, however, it's up to dad and me. Yesterday when they told me the cancer had gone to her brain I told them flat out - DNR. I said, if I come in here and find her intubated or if you even do chest compressions on her I'm not going to be happy. Leave the poor thing alone. Now, of course, it's a different story. I know I'm not killing her if we withhold further treatment. We're trying to help manage this as best as we can. What we're trying to avoid is the horrible inbetween. I'm sure everyone can agree that the worst thing is a patient who is conscious, but unable to communicate, unable to walk, talk, eat, etc. I'm trying, in the kindest way I know, to ease her suffering and help her journey to the end of her life. I love my mother with all my heart and there are so many things I still wanted to share with her - especially now that I finally have my beautiful twins. I don't feel guilty, I feel sad... and a little helpless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lily -- there are no words other than I'm so very sorry for what you're going through. I know it's often hard to know what's right in these situations, but for what it's worth, I think you're totally right to push for palliative care. I hope you're all able to work something out that keeps your mom as comfortable as possible and spares you, your dad, and the rest of the family as much anguish as possible. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

MissLily, I don't have any words, but please know you'll be very much in my thoughts. Wish we had the kind of IRL thing where we could all drop off dinner and offer to take the kids to the park or something so you could let yourself fall apart for a few minutes. Sending those empathy vibes your way. Be gentle with yourself.

And in the department of random, before putting the TP on the roll, squash it so the circular roll is more like a diamond/oval shape. They can only unravel the TP one roll at a time and it loses alot of the fun. Learned that lesson the hard way :)

Poppy, love the new icon.

Liz - good luck on P&S!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Lily, so sorry to hear about your mom and what your family is going through.  Sending my thoughts and prayers your way. I know you are super grateful every day for your two little troublemakers and I'm sure that their antics, while wearing you down and tiring you out physically, are also helping to uplift you and provide much needed happiness to you mentally. 

My littlest munchkin woke up at 5:20 this morning.  Slightly too early for me to happily get up but not early enough that I could leave her in the crib to fall back asleep.  She wasn't crying but making a ton of noise (saying "ahhhh"  "ehhh" "daaaa" at the top of her lungs) so I brought her downstairs so she wouldn't wake up the rest of the family. Sort of cute but I am very tired this morning as I gulp down coffee # 2 at work.  The only reason I'm not worrying too much about early wake up times is daylight savings time is coming and what is 5:20 this week will b 6:20 next week - which is exactly what time I need her to wake up.

Baby food - besides mum mums and puffs my 7 month old has just had baby cereal and fruit/veggie purees.  When do I start with other soft finger foods? She loves the mum mums and puffs but they get stuck to her hands and she gets frustrated. What brand and kind of yogurt do you guys recommend?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to rama8677's comment:

Lily, so sorry to hear about your mom and what your family is going through.  Sending my thoughts and prayers your way. I know you are super grateful every day for your two little troublemakers and I'm sure that their antics, while wearing you down and tiring you out physically, are also helping to uplift you and provide much needed happiness to you mentally. 

My littlest munchkin woke up at 5:20 this morning.  Slightly too early for me to happily get up but not early enough that I could leave her in the crib to fall back asleep.  She wasn't crying but making a ton of noise (saying "ahhhh"  "ehhh" "daaaa" at the top of her lungs) so I brought her downstairs so she wouldn't wake up the rest of the family. Sort of cute but I am very tired this morning as I gulp down coffee # 2 at work.  The only reason I'm not worrying too much about early wake up times is daylight savings time is coming and what is 5:20 this week will b 6:20 next week - which is exactly what time I need her to wake up.

Baby food - besides mum mums and puffs my 7 month old has just had baby cereal and fruit/veggie purees.  When do I start with other soft finger foods? She loves the mum mums and puffs but they get stuck to her hands and she gets frustrated. What brand and kind of yogurt do you guys recommend?

Rama, we're up in my house by 5am most days of the week. Sometimes as early as 445. She'll sometimes fall back asleep, but more often will babble, roll around, play in her crib but not for too long. I've tried everything to get her to sleep later and no luck so far.

I'm also wondering on the finger foods. I know my DD is old enough, but she can't get food into her mouth. She can eat the mum mums fine since they're large, but puffs or tiny pieces of things, she just pushes around the tray with her pointer finger or picks it up in her palm, but doesn't know to eat it yet. I bought some YoBaby organic vanilla yogurt, but haven't given her any yet. I've tried tiny pieces of banana too, but she's just really not into it. Then again, she's not a huge fan of food to begin with and mealtimes are usually a struggle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Lily - my thoughts are with you as well.

We give DD YoBaby yogurt.  Its really smooth and she took to it right away.  Seems like it is time to start moving her to "real" food also, so I'll be interested to hear about the transition to solids.  I can't explain it, but she just seems ready.  I have tried giving her (quartered) Cheerios, but she mostly plays with them. I'm scared that puffs will get stuck in her mouth or throat.  Crazy? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

We started DS on finger foods a bit after 9 mos, though he'd been eating Mum Mums etc. for awhile before. We had to feed the small stuff like Cheerios to him for awhile before he got it, and there was definitely a frustrated period when he'd try to pick it up but didn't have the coordination. We would always keep them on the tray so he'd have a chance to try, but if it got too frustrating we'd jufreehand fed them to him. Nov -- things like puffs and Mum Mums are supposed to dissolve easily enough that they're not a choking hazard. We never had any problem with DS on those, and he gagged on a number of later finger foods. Worth asking your pedi if you're still nervous though!

I'm on day 2 of my second stomach bug this month. Ugh! I was immobile yesterday, and we thought DS was in the clear. He was great for my dad all day but 5 minutes after he left DS threw up, and then did again in the middle of the night. He's good so far today other than not eating a lot, but we kept him home from daycare anyway. Good thing he's been entertaining himself well lately because I'm still not so good at moving off the couch. Blah!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I just got DS up from his nap and saw something along the top crib rails that has probably been there for awhile: teeth marks! Ew! I should have known, since he stands up in his crib regularly and likes to bite everything! Has anyone used rail covers for their crib for this reason? I looked them up and a lot only seem to be for the long rail, and i need something that covers 3 sides since DS stands up on all sides of his crib (except the tall side against the wall). Any recommendations?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

November - you are so NOT crazy!  I was very afraid of choking with my DD,  I would have kept her on purees forever if I could have!  With DD2 I'm more eager to move to finger foods because a) I know from experience with DD1 that choking is very rare and b) it will be so much easier for me if DD2 can sort of feed herself/occupy herself in her high chair during meal time while I'm busy cooking and feeding DD1.  Regarding the puffs - they dissolve really quickly (probably due to all the saliva/drool that babies have) and you can break them in half if you are still nervous. Try sucking on one and see how quickly it dissolves. The only choking concern I have with them is if the baby put too many in her mouth at once but I'm always right there with her to make sure that doesn't happen.  She loves picking them up and gets so excited when she actually gets one in her mouth :)   I bet your DD will love them too and good for her to practice using her thumb and forefinger to self feed.

Sorry about the stomach bug Arcain, that really stinks.  Hopefully it's a quick one and you guys are feeling better soon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

arcain- I got these for DD's crib http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Easy-Teether-Cover-Ivory/dp/B002D76GX8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1362591134&sr=8-11&keywords=crib+rail+cover so far she's not much of a chewer on the crib-DS was and he tore his crib up (she has a new one). I figure its better if she's chewing on fabric than the paint/stain of the crib. Easy to tear off and throw in the wash.

Has anyone see any rain coats in stores? I went to carters-and they've decided not to do rain coats any more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

we took a slightly different tack on yogurt; I bought big tubs of plain stonyfield whole milk yogurt, and I would put some in a dish and mix in a few squirts of fruit or veg, either that I had made or from squeeze pouches.  Her favorite was squash/pears/yogurt, and now she still eats it and the favorite is pear/mango/yogurt.  I guess I thought it would be cheaper or less sugar or something??  I can't remember and it doesn't matter... whichever yogurt your LO likes is just fine.  Just another idea!

Misslily... I am thinking of you and praying for a hospital that is sensitive to palliative care and quality of life.  Nothing at this point can be easy, but I'll be hoping for kind medical professionals and people to help you make decisions that feel peaceful and right to you.  And I'm sending virtual casseroles... wish they were real ones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Miss Lily - you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.  I pray that whatever outcome will make your mother most comfortable happens!

For finger foods, we started cheerios and puffs around 7 months.  Since then we've also introduced: crackers, teething biscuits, animal crackers, raisins, steamed zucchini and steamed carrots.  The steamed zucchini is DS's favorite.  I bought a frozen bag of cut zucchini and I will steam 5-6 pieces at a time and then cut them small enough that he can eat them himself.  He devours them with in a few minutes.  I start every meal off with a finger food because it give me time to prepare the rest of his meal (fruit/veg purree and oatmeal) and at night start our dinner. 

For yogurt, we tried at 7 months with the YoBaby blueberry and DS threw up immediately both times.  We tried again last week (DS is 9 months today) with the YoBaby banana and he loved it!

How is it possible that I have a 9 month old?  This year is flying by and I need it to slow down.  DS starts waterbabies on Saturday and I can't wait.!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

MissLily - So sorry to hear about your mother.  I hope she and you and the whole family are doing as best as can be expected.

Medford - I will definitely try putting DD down standing up so that I don't have to lean all the way over.  It's so obvious that I'm embarrased for posting the question!!  But thank you for the responses.

Arcain - We have the same crib rail covers as KAM.  I didn't want the sticky kind.  Was worried DD could just peel off the velcro, but she's 2 now and has never done that.

For yogurt, starting around 9 months I would buy tubs of plain yogurt and mix in fruit.  Now DD eats Chobani greek yogurt at home.  Not sure what brand daycare gives her, but know it's not greek.  I keep meaning to look into which yogurt is best for LOs but there are just so many options.

Any recommendations for a good brand of frozen chicken nuggets?  Don't usually have them in the house, but am a bit concerned about DD's protein intake and I know she'll eat those.  We shop at Stop & Shop or Market Basket.

We're having DD's 2nd bday party soon and I had no clue I would be this excited.  We never did a christening or a big 1st bday party, so this is the first time we're getting friends and family together.  Some of DH's friends have only met DD once (even some of my friends have only seen her a handful of times).  Hopefully the snow stops before the weekend!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

misslily - I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.  I lost my dad to cancer 7 years ago and the decision to go to hospice was gut-wrenching.  I feel for you and your family.  I hope that you and everyone involved (including your mom) are able to find comfort and peace in the days ahead.

I'm not much help with the infant finger food discussion... DD is 2.5 now and I have a fuzzy memory on some of those things.  She did love cheerios though and yobaby yogurt (still eats those!).  For wholesome yogurt for kids, I still try to give her the stonyfield brand products - both yogurt and smoothies.  DD is a peanut and I figure the whole milk is still good for her, so I give her the full-fat versions whenever I can.

clc - my DD did waterbabies and it was fun!  We did it at the Y.  Enjoy!

Fram - we usually buy Earth's Best chicken nuggets for DD.  I've also bought Applegate Farms in the past too.  She seems to like both.  I tend to steer towards the more natural brands when I can.  I think Perdue is now making a more healthy chicken nugget these days too, but I haven't tried those yet.

As for me, just the usual craziness.  DD is potty training (still), just moved into the preschool classroom, and we're getting ready for DD#2 (I'm due in June).  Just ordered DD#1 a big-girl bed and we're going to hopefully be moving her to her new room in April.  We ordered a twin bed with a guardrail.  DD loves her crib though, so we'll see how the transition goes!  Lots of changes for DD (and us!) ahead. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Try Bell and Evans for chicken nuggets. They have the best frozen chicken that I've tried.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Way, way big difference between common gagging (food won't go up or down, they can't figure out what to do with it) and much rarer actual choking (airway blocked, can't breathe, turns blue, etc).  Not that you don't need to be careful, but keep some perspective.  If it were that easy to choke to death the human race wouldn't be here.

Pasta and no salt added canned vegetables, or warmed up mixed frozen vegetables, are good.  Canned or jarred fruit packed in juice is nice--just regular, no need to pay through the nose for the baby versions.  Diced bananas are hard to pick up...they glom onto the plate or tray.

The Greek yogurts with fruit usually have much less sugar than the regular ones (Dannon, Yoplait), most of it coming from the milk itself, and more protein.  I'd go with those or get plain and put in my own fruit.  The Yoplait Simplait has less sugar than the regular.  The sugariest are the store brands and the travel tubes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

DD can put puffs in her mouth and will eat the whole container if I let her. We are going to start with more food when she turns 8 months (next week). She already has two teeth (not that that has anything to do with it). But she chews the puffs with those teeth, so funny. She had an appt. today and weighs 16lbs! Yay! Such a relieve seeing as she was only 10lbs in October and we were all very concerned. 

All DD does nowadays is roll over. You put her down and she is rolled over in 2 seconds. She is desperately trying to crawl and gets super frustrated when she can't reach something. It's kind of funny to watch! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

liz - I'm happy for you about the weigh in!  I know as many times as people say not to worry, of course we all still do it.  So I'm glad it's one less thing to worry about!  :)

we love bell & evans chicken fingers (for ourselves) but haven't tried the nuggets.  DD used to like the fingers, too.  You know, before she turned 2 and stopped eating any foods.  Oy.

Bad daycare drop off today.  We were a little late, so it was still 2 rooms combined but everyone was there and it was total chaos.  Crying, whatnot.  Teachers trying to do the best they can.  Got a notice that the new permanent teacher who just started in DD's room decided to leave.  Little boy came up to me and asked me where his mommy and daddy were.  Introduced myself to the sub.  DD seemed totally fine, actually, but when I got to the car I had to take a few minutes to cry.  I like her teachers and overall things are good, but the loss of her new teacher just when she was starting to get attached to her stinks.  And the combining rooms at drop off and pick up thing, while legal, also stinks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, Medford, I feel you on having one of those days.  It's chaotic and sometimes heartbreaking enough to leave them on a GOOD day, but on an extra crazy one, it can definitely get to you. 

Have to share a super cute story: took DS for his 6 month app't earlier this week with 2+ year old DD.  I'd prepped her that he was going to get shots, so she wouldn't freak out.  When the nurse came to give them to him, she sat at his head, held his hand and whispered "it's okay, I'm here, it's okay".  LOVE!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts