March Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: March Infants and Toddlers

Thanks, Kam and Fram -- I just ordered some similar ones!

Liz - That's awesome that DD is up to 16 lbs! My DS is small but not tiny and I don't think he was much more than 17 or so at 8 months, so she's moving on up! The trying-to-crawl phase can be funny, if frustrating. My DS somehow thought doing a downward facing dog kind of pose would help him move for about 2 weeks when he was learning. We thought it was funny, though he didn't so much :-).

Med - That's awful, but good that you have perspective that it's still a good place. I start work early, so DH always does dropoff, and he recently told me that he almost always feels crappy afterwards, even if DS isn't clingy and fussy. Probably doesn't help that DH works from home so he has to come home to all of DS's toys but no little guy there!

Luv - That story just made my heart melt -- ahhh! So cute! What an awesome big sister. Now stop it -- you're going to make me want to have another one :-).

Speaking of having second kids, those of you who have: how did you decide (or DID you really actively decide) when to have #2? DH and I agreed that we'll most likely "pull the goalie" again around my 33rd b-day in December, when DS will be 22 mos. It took us about 4 mos. to get pg with DS, so if all goes well, we'd have another around when DS is 3. It feels like a good age gap to me, and both DH and I kind of already want another, but I'm already worrying over daycare stuff. Having 2 kids in daycare would basically negate my salary, but I wouldn't want to pull DS out entirely just as he's getting close to school age. I know it'll all work out somehow if #2 is in the cards for us, but I'm just curious how it went for you all...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

On the second child question: I was 34 when DD was born and we knew we wanted at least 2, so we stopped preventing shortly after DD turned one.  It took us about 6-8 months to get pregnant with DD (preg then MC at 6 mos, pregnant again 2 months later, so depends on how you count it) so we wanted to start right away.  Only took 2 cycles the second time, which absolutely shocked me.  The kids are 22 months apart, which was really a challenge in the beginning, because it really is having two babies, but now that DD is getting more and more verbal and DS is moving into the fun baby stage (sitting up, reaching, babbling, laughing, but still stays where I put him!) it's getting easier. 

The daycare costs are definitely intimidating.  We send both kids 3 days a week and are fortunate that my parents watch them the other 2, but the three days are nearly half my salary.  Logistically, I'm more nervous about when they start going to different places, and how that will all work out, but I'm hoping that in the next two years I can start working a more flexible schedule so that I can be home earlier in the afternoons. 

I definitely wouldn't go back, now that I have 2...and negotiations about the possibility of #3 begin in about 6 months when DS turns 1.  I'd love to have a third (and really a 4th too, but I know that's not going to be in the cards), but DH worries about the money and stretching ourselves too thin.  We talk about if we do go for it, spacing #2 and #3 out a little more, maybe 2.5 - 3 years apart this time...we'll see though. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

luv-that is the sweetest story!

Arcain-dd and ds are 3 years a part, well a few months shy of it. and I love the age difference. DS "gets" it when I have to spend time with DD, especially in the early days. He is very sweet with her, and gets that he needs to help teach her how to do things. They still fight over toys, but that will happen at any age. DD definitely thinks DS is hysterical. They truly love eachother to pieces.  FWIW it took us 3-4 months to get pregnant with DS, and DD was our first month of saying "lets see what happens."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Miss Lily: I haven't been on in a bit.  Very sorry to hear about your mom. 

Luv: That is a cute story!  I love when they say things like that!

Liz: congrats on the sale and the great weigh in!  She must really love the puffs ;)

Med: I don't know about you, but I was super weepy when I was pregnant.  That type of a situation would totally make me cry too.

Regarding first table foods, both mine love babybel cheese and meatballs cut up.  Also strawberries.  But both mine didn't really go for table foods until at least 12 months. 

Arcain: On the second child, mine are super close in age (15.5 months apart) so that ship has already sailed for you, but I do just love having "irish twins" now that they are both toddlers (19 months and almost 3yo).  For us, we knew we wanted at least 2 and were sort of in a baby haze and whammo I wound up pregnant again.  Now that DS is 19 months old I cannot imagine how I did it! When DD was his age now I also had a 3 month old!  But my point is, that I don't think there is a perfect age difference and you figure it out no matter what.  HTH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Arcain - we've been talking about #2 recently and our plan, as of now, is to start trying in the fall.  If we got pg right away our kids would be 2 years apart; however, it took us 9 months to get PG with DS so who knows.  Ideally we would like our kids to be 2 - 2.5 years apart.  I'll be honest though, there are some days that I'm ready to start trying now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Before DD was born, I thought I'd like to get pregnant with a second baby around the time she was 2.  There are circumstances in our lives that kind of prevent us from doing that right now, but I'm OK with it.  As others have said, it all works out one way or another.  It seems like there are pros and cons to both having children close together and having them far apart.  I hope in the future I will still be OK with having 1 child or having them far apart, but only time will tell!  For now, I'm glad to focus all my attention on DD and have 2 in daycare for a short period of time, if at all.  When we went for her 2 yr appointment, she was so interested in all the infants that came through.  Can't say it made me want to have one though :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

luv - that is a very sweet story!  A treasured moment for sure.

liz - that is great about the weight gain.  As a mom of another "peanut" I know how easy it is to be obsessed with milestones like that!  DD is 2.5 and I have to admit I still hang on every bite she puts into her mouth sometimes.  It gets better though and things even out.

As for the 2nd baby debate... I'm due in June with DD#2.  DD#1 turns 3 in July.  Originally we were hoping for a 2.5 year difference, but I had a m/c last summer and this is just how the timing worked out and I think I'm going to like the 3 year gap.  Seems like not too much, not too little.  As others have said, there is no perfect time.  A lot goes into it that is specific to you and your situation - age, family finances, being emotionally ready, etc.  I don't really know yet, since baby #2 isn't here yet, but DD does seem like she understands enough that it won't be totally like having two babies at home.  She is old enough to enjoy being "mommy's helper" and old enough to verbalize and talk about everything - including baby sister.  Only time will tell, but this is the age gap that worked for us.  On a more practical note - I'm thrilled that I don't have to double up on baby equipment.  DD will move into a big-girl bed, so no need for a second crib, infant carseat, pack n play, and all that stuff. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Luv - there are no words to describe how sweet that story is!!!!  Love it.

Thanks for the words of support, everybody.  I think the hormones made it worse, plus we already had a morning of DD not listening and me having to crack down (so we didn't have fun during the time we were together), plus we had been thinking about sending DD to an amazing preschool in the fall, but now we've pretty much decided against it because of the logistics of 2 kids in different places.  So I was second guessing that decision, too.

Arcain, ours will be 2 years 9 months apart, but we're not there yet so who knows how it will go!  But I am glad that DD is in a stage where she understands what we tell her and absorbs a lot from books.  It makes me feel better that she knows what's about to go down!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML -€“ OMG, I love you for that toilet paper suggestion! I am doing it tonight. BTW, I recently realized that one reason my DD might unroll the paper is because she wants the empty tube to play with! So, mental note to keep all old tubes. (and by "realized"€ I mean, she TOLD me that'€™s why she does it.)

Rama -€“ you are so much kinder than I! my DS has been waking up at 530ish recently, and I do not get him unless he cries for more than 15 minutes.

Summer -€“ my DS (few days shy of 7 months) also can’t get any finger foods into his mouth. I recently rediscovered those net-like things you can put food into that babies can hold and suck on. I cannot think of a better way to describe it, hello mommy brain.  Ok, they’re like this: http://compare.ebay.com/like/290770624518?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar  The only issue is I can'€™t get the nets completely clean, so tend to throw them away. So it's used sparingly. But it'€™s GREAT for keeping him happy in the high chair while I’m doing things for other people.

First time I gave DS a puff in his mouth, it triggered the gag reflex and he upchucked all the sweet potatoes I had just fed him. He was perfectly happy, with sweet potato all down his front. Scared the sh!t out of me even though I know this is a very common response and does not mean he was choking. So now my theory is, if he can get it into his mouth himself, he can eat it. I'm not putting any other solid foods into his mouth. And yes, I am the crazy person who sucks on the puffs to partially dissolve them before putting them on his tray. Just call me Alicia Silverstone.

CLC -what is Waterbabies?! Is this a swim class for infants??  DD starts her first swim class with me on the 16th, but I'€™d love to do one with DS while he is an infant!

Fram -we like the Nature'€™s Promise chicken nuggets. I'€™d always been a fan of Applegate until I was eating one and got a bone! Was glad it was in mine and not DD'€™s!

Liz -€“ congrats on the weight!

Medford - our daycare does the combining rooms for dropoff and pickup thing too. We hate it. DD has gotten pretty good about it, but DH says he still can almost see her literally gulp and swallow, and brace herself for joining in. But then later in the day I know it gets better and she has fun. Sometimes I'm glad that I can't do dropoff because of work.

Luv - that story is so adorable! Love the love!!

Arcain - our second was a bit of an "oops"€, so the decision was made for us! Sort of. In as much as an adult can be surprised by pregnancy, knowing full well how it is achieved. But it’s such a good question and I’m looking forward to reading the responses. Hope you are feeling better soon, btw!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks everyone for the weight gain comments! Now if only I could LOSE 16lbs!!

I would love to get pregnant when DD is 9 months, but that is not going to happen. DH wants to wait until she is at least 2, which is fine with me. We got pregnant within a week, so I'm not too worried about that, although, you never know the next time around! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, check out LoseIt (the app for smart devices or www.loseit.com).  I lost 12 lbs from Nov 11 to mid December and am still logging my calories to maintain it.  Easy as pie (which you can have all you want of if you log it all).  Pingo and icer (regular CC chatters) have lost 15 each using it recently, as well, and I have an in-person friend who has lost 60 lbs since last May using the similar program (calorie counting) on livestrong.com.  And, she's in her mid 50s with adult kids.  She hasn't been this slender since college; she's a 6.  I  know because she's wearing my pre-LoseI clothes.

ETA:  I lost 12 pounds at first, but 4 more since being in "maintenance" because my budget was too low.  I've been increasing it slowly so as not to lose any more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Well, DD has pretty much proved my "ready for finger food" theory.  Lst night she turned up her nose at cereal and pureed veg for about the 4th or 5th night in a row (she eats all of her morning cereal/fruit), so I put some rice and hamburger from my stuffed pepper in front of her and she gobbled it up. And then had more. 

Apparently it is me who isn't ready...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Luv - What a sweet moment!  She is such a good big sister! 

Acrain - You read my mind about asking what everyone thinks about having #2.  I definitely want another DS or DD and DH would be ok with just DS but will have another bc I of me.  He just cant imagine loving another baby as much as DS.  So cute!  DH and his brother are 2 years apart almost to the day and he thinks that was to close in age bc they fought all the time.  Meanwhile my sister and I are 4 years apart.  Now its no big deal but growing up and dad thought that was too far apart.  So I guess we will aim for 3 years.  The only thing is that we are both 35.  That would mean Ill be 37 when trying to conceive again.  Sometimes I think I am ready to try for another baby right now!  Then I get scared!  what to do what to do?!?!

Liz - I joined weight watchers and have lost 13.6 lbs in 7 weeks!  I like it because I have to weigh in every week which keeps me accountable.  And I can eat pizza and have a couple of beer or wine and still lose.  I just cant eat the whole pizza.  The doctor told me that it took 9 months to put on the weight and it was going to take 9 months to take it off.  DS just turned 8 months last Tuesday and by the time he turns 9 months I will be back to my pre pregnancy weight!

DS is getting so mobile!  This morning he got up on his hands and knees.  Before long he will be crawling.  The poor pugs!!  He is also getting his first tooth!  It hasnt come through yet but I can feel it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for the weight advice!

Nov, really?? Because DD can get puffs into her mouth I am starting to think it may be time for finger foods.  I am making pasta with turkey tomato sauce tonight, maybe I will try to give her some ground up turkey and see if she takes to it. 

What other foods are good to start with? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to lizinboston's comment:

Thanks for the weight advice!

Nov, really?? Because DD can get puffs into her mouth I am starting to think it may be time for finger foods.  I am making pasta with turkey tomato sauce tonight, maybe I will try to give her some ground up turkey and see if she takes to it. 

What other foods are good to start with? 

We've tried bits of banana (she likes mashed bananas but makes a face when I give her a little piece) and avocado. I've heard that bits of bread, cooked pasta, soft or cooked fruits, egg yolk, and hard cheeses like cheddar are good. I think next time I make pasta I'll try some with my DD.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

LUV - oh you made me smile with that story. How absolutely lovely!

finger foods - bits of banana, avocado, tiny pieces of bread or pasta, small pieces of cheese. I used a great book - Super Baby Food. I didn't make the purees and stuff (I was a jarred food mom) but I used the ideas for which foods to offer when. It was really helpful. Also check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for ideas.

And don't fret - at 11 months my son was only eating cheerios and bits of american cheese. He wouldn't try anything else. Now - he loves to try new stuff!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Any suggestions for where I can buy used toys? I really don't want to spend the money for new ones, they are so expensive! TIA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Often consignment shops that sell kids' clothes also have toys.  Also, yard sale season is coming - we always got a bunch of my clothes and toys that way.  Sometimes you can really hit the jackpot if you go to reasonably affluent areas where all the Little Janes and Johnies got far too many toys every year for Christmas, lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Liz - there is a great store on Rt. 9 in Natick called Kid to Kid. They sell gnetly used toys, gear and clothes. I've sold and bought a bunch of stuff there.

Also - my mother of twins group is having their semi-annual tag sale on April 13th. There are TONS of gently used toys, books, clothes, gear - you name it! Visit out website here http://www.wscmmota.org/ and click on "tag sale" for more info.

Also - my church, St. Andrew's in Wellesley, has a wonderful "Bargain Haul" on May 4th from 8-noon. Again - tons of gently used toys, books and clothes as well as gear for kids. Of course the best stuff goes early at that one...same at the tag sale at WSCMMOTA

http://www.standrewswellesley.org/happenings_news.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Misslily, are the twins events usually exclusively for twins or do they often include things for different numbers of multiples?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Yes - we are actually mother's of multiples. There are often triplet strollers. And of course it's a great place for singletons to shop. Us mulitple moms have to buy 2 or 3 of everything and often use it less than a mom who buys one item like a high chair and uses it for 2 or 3 children that come every 2 years.

Your friend with the triplets should certainly join the group in her area. Tell her to check out www.mmota.org and click on "find a local club" to find the chapter in her area.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sweet, thanks for that info; I'll give her that site.  The trips are nearly 9 months old, and as much fun as she's had so far I think it's just beginning, lol.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and did you hear on the news about the spontaneous quads born last month?!?  Two sets of identical twin boys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks! Definitley going to check it out! My in-laws live in Wellesley, so I may hop on over there for that sale! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I second the Mothers of Twins Tag Sale. DH's old coworker with twins told us about it and we got some awesome stuff there when DS was tiny. Hope to make the next one. Just go early -- we went towards the end of one and it was pretty cleaned out!

So we're all finally sort of healthy here at Casa Arcain. But not without one last "FU" from the universe. DH, who was the last to get this horrific stomach bug we all had, was almost back to normal tonight and actually said he wanted takeout burritos (big treat for us) for dinner. Great! We got them, fed DS, had some great playtime, put the little guy to bed, sat down with our burritos and the first beers we'd dared to drink in awhile. DH and I raised our glasses to toast to finally being healthy, and almost on cue, we heard DS (who now has a bit of a cold) start coughing on the monitor. A lot. Enough so we were finally like "Should we check on him?" We did. Vomit EVERYWHERE. Poor little guy had no idea what happened to him. And we swore we'll never take our collective health for granted again :).

For better or worse, though, I think it was just the coughing that made DS throw up and he's fine now after a major cleanup operation. But man, I hope I can go a day soon without doing a load of laundry on "heavy soil" setting.

Epilogue, for those who may have been wondering: we happily finished the burritos and beer even after that. Parenting win.