March Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: March Infants and Toddlers

How's everyone adjusting to the time change? DD's bedtime was 6pm but with the change it ended up being around 630. As predicted, it didn't help her sleep later or better- was up multiple times including an hour around 1am, then again up at 5am. She's sleeping now at 6am, so I'm wondering how she's going to adjust...My big issue is it being light out at bedtime. Even with room darkening curtains, her room is still light as day until the sun goes down. So frustrating. I'm dreading sunset getting later and later for this reason...any ideas? She needs to be asleep by 630 at the latest, since we're up around 5-6am every day and she never gets enough sleep as it is.

Anyone else with an 8-10 month old- how's nighttime going? Nightmare for us, literally...still up at least once a night usually with a feeding in there and multiple other times crying, fussing, etc. Around 5-7 months, she WAS sleeping solidly all night and has majorly regressed...can't take the sleep deprivation anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Watching NECN right now on Thread Up, an online consignment shop for kids - looks awesome!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Take your victories where you can get 'em Arcain!! Hope the little one is feeling better.

I don't know what to do about the time change, so I'm hoping to just ride it out over the next few days.  DD usually goes to bed at 8, but there was no way she was going to make it past that.  I actually tried to get her to nap at around 5 but she wasn't having it. She ended up passing out at 7:30, and I went to bed resigned to the fact that I would be up early this morning.  Sure enough, she started singing and playing in the crib at 4:15.  I tried to get her back to sleep but gave up on that at 5 and got us both up for the day.  She was an exhausted crying mess when we left for daycare, and I dropped her off sounds asleep.  We'll see what happens tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think we lucked out with the time change.  DD's 2nd bday party was on Saturday, so she didn't nap until after 3 (usually naps from 1-3).  I think because of that, she was still off the next day and ready to nap at 1, even though it was really 12.

The party was great.  It was so nice to get everyone together and, since it was at a restaurant, I didn't have to worry about any of the cleaning.  Still went by way too fast to talk to everyone, but that's how it goes!  DD had fun and got so many great presents.

Summer - So sorry I don't have any advice!!  Hope she goes back to sleeping soon.  Not getting enough consecutive hours of sleep is THE WORST.

Poppy - You crack me up with the Alicia Silverstone reference.  The mesh thingies we had for DD were dishwasher safe, so that might save you from having to throw them out?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm so upset...just learned that DD's teacher at day care is leaving.  I can't blame her, since I'm sure the pay isn't great, and she's been offered a nanny position, but DD is going to miss her so much.  She loves her teacher and her class!  On the other hand, this takes away my own feelings of guilt that we're probably going to change day cares in the next 3-6 months...

I'm just feeling stressed and worn out lately, I'm sure mostly because of the recent move and feeling unsettled, and hearing this today put me over the edge. 

On to happier things...I love those mesh feeders...haven't used one with DS yet, but I used to put things like frozen melon and ice cubes in there too, in addition to the softer foods.  The frozen stuff helps the teeth feel better (but all are a little messy).  They are hard to clean, though! 

And DS, now 6 months, seems huge lately.  He always wants to be sitting up and part of the action, reaching for everything, and always watching everything around him.  It goes by so fast!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

summer, DD turns 9 months this week and sleep has been a nightmare for us as well.  She was a great sleeper early on but after a week or two of some teething AND a bad cold she got used to sleeping on my chest (she was really struggling lying down and it was the only way anyone got any sleep).  She's old enough to really fight for her right to party. ugh.  It's tough because DD#1 can sleep through 20-30 minutes of baby screaming, but more than that and SHE wakes up.  Then, after a couple of night of being woken up, she's tired enough to wet the bed (otherwise, she's dry at night). 

We're fighting the good fight but it's exhausting, to say the least.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Oh, and did you hear on the news about the spontaneous quads born last month?!?  Two sets of identical twin boys.

In the high school where I teach we had a set of quad boys --spontaneous!--graduate a few years ago.  I didn't teach them but I taught their older brother.  Imagine.  all those boys!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to lissafro's comment:

In response to kargiver's comment:

Oh, and did you hear on the news about the spontaneous quads born last month?!?  Two sets of identical twin boys.

In the high school where I teach we had a set of quad boys --spontaneous!--graduate a few years ago.  I didn't teach them but I taught their older brother.  Imagine.  all those boys!

Wow, no...that's just unimaginable - going to your "heartbeat" appointment and hearing not 1, not 2, not 3, but FOUR!!!  I can barely imagine the 3 boys my friend had and I've had 8 months and many days over there to process it, LOL!!!!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy - Waterbabies is a swimming "lesson" offered at my local Y for babies 6-18 months.  DS loved it and I thought it was a lot of fun.  We did a lot of singing and splashing and then tried some bubble blowing, DS thought me blowing bubbles was hilarious but when I put his mouth close to the water pulled his head back and looked at my like I was crazy.  But we have several more weeks to get him to try it.

For finger foods, I gave DS lasagna last week and he devoured it.  He was constantly saying "mmmmMMMMmmmm".  We also tried a bean, cheese and rice burrito this week and it went great.  DS is now 9 months and I started finger foods over 2 months ago so it's taken me a while to move past puffs and cheerios but clearly he's ready.  Also, we use the mesh feeder for avocado because DS loves avocado but won't touch it if I put it on his tray.

Liz - for used toys - my area (the Cape) has a FB mom's page where local mom's post items for sale that are pretty cheap.  I bought an exersaucer for my mom's house for $20 from there and a Bjorn for $10.  Check out if there is anything in your area!

We have DS's 9 month appointment this afternoon.  He's been sick for several weeks and isn't getting better.  I'm hoping they will give us something for the poor little guy.  His sleep has been pretty miserable the past month because he wakes up at least once a night coughing.  Some nights it's been 3-4 wake ups and Sunday night it took me 2 hours to get him back down.  Poor little guy just wants to snuggle when he doesn't feel well.  However, in happier news on Saturday night he said "mama" for the first time.  It was the most wonderful sound in the world!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

misslily, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, my heart goes out to you - I do wish I could send you one of my yummy lasagnas - but it's being sent virtually.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Luv - So sorry about DD's teacher, and hope the stress goes away as you adjust to the new house, etc.!

Lissa - That stinks! DH and I were just wondering how people with 2+ kids deal when the baby is waking everyone up. Uggggh. Hope you get some sleep soon!

Clc - I hope DS feels better soon! The nurse at my pedi's office keeps telling us "Babies basically have a cough from October-April," and that's proven true for us. Really stinks when it makes him miserable AND wakes you up, though. Spring is almost here, though -- there must be an end in sight!

Has anyone been to the PlaySpace at the Children's Museum lately? I'm taking DS to see my old coworkers in that neighborhood on my day off next week and I thought we might check it out while we're there. He's too young (13 mos) for most of the stuff at the museum, but he'll get in free and I think I can get a pass from my library, so I figured it might be fun to check out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Luv - I feel for you.  I find teachers leaving to be the most stressful part of daycare.  I totally get it, and I wish they made better money et cetera et cetera, but it's still hard as a parent.

Poppy - the "swimming lessons" at our boys and girls club are called waterbabies, too.  I don't know if that means they're the same across places or if it's just a common term.  In our case, they have one group for under 2 years and one group from 2 years old to 4 years old.  DD and DH have been going since the fall - they love it.  They do songs and kick fast and slow, go under bridges, et cetera.  We really do it as a way for them to have something special together, plus keep her used to being in the water over the winter.

Arcain - we were there when DD was a bit older than that.  The playspace was still fun, and gives you a place to run around, especially if you can get in for free!  Sometimes there are grad students around looking for kids to participate in studies about how kids think, which is quick and fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Arcain.  I ended up going a little "Mama Bear" and made the Dr watch a video of DS coughing and one of him wheezing and then she was able to hear him actually cough and wheeze.  She tried to suggest that it's normal for it to linger but after I told him how many times a night he's waking up and she listened to his chest she agreed that it was time to do something about it.  They ended up getting us a nebulizer to take home and we started treatments last night, hopefully we will see some improvement in the next few days!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I know it's frustrating but please have patience with the doctor...for every one like you, there are twelve other women going all Mama Bear and their kid really *isn't* that sick!  (I know one, her kid is at death's door regularly and everyone in the ER knows little Junior's name).

Bringing a video is a great idea if you're asking them to consider something they can't see. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Anyone have a mischievous impulse to make an irreverent baby onesie that says "Habemus P**pam" or is it just me?

(Yes, I'm Catholic...)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hahahaaa purple cow!  Needed that one.  Just picked DD up from daycare, sick, again.  Puke bug. Again.  UGH!!!! Need winter to be over!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

clc-hopefully the nebulizer works! just an FYI for your back pocket, its easy to give kids just the inhaler (with a spacer) if it's really just the medicine he  needs. Some doctors think the steam is what really helps (hence all the recommendations for steam showers). Both of my kids have asthma, started out DS with a nebulizer and when it looked like he needed daily meds our doctor saved us from the nebulizer and just gave us inhalers-saves a ton of time! Now when the kiddos have a cold/cough I give them two puffs of albuterol and within 10 min they are breathing just fine. And hopefully you're doctor will learn to trust you soon. Our pedi now comments "well, you know coughs..." and he doesn't question my mama bear instinct now. (it does help that just this past Jan I turned down both antibiotics and steriods for DD's latest cough-we were there for a well visit-I knew it would calm down in a few days, and it did.)

Nov-hopefully its just a 24 hour bug? (one can hope!)

Luv-I'm not sure what I would do if any of DD's teachers left, we love them all! And I'm praying DD can have one of DS' favorite teachers in her next room.

AFM-DD has gone from everythign is "no" to saying "yeah" last night. so cute! DH had been traveling this week for a new job, the whole time he was gone DS kept saying "I'm not so sure this new job is a good idea!" But last night DH came home and I had two very happy kiddos who would not leave him alone!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Luv - sorry about the teacher! We went through that JUST as DD first started getting used to going to daycare. She still talks about that first teacher, who we all loved, but she is fine with her current teachers.

CLC and Med - thanks for the info on waterbabies. I actually just joined a YMCA near work, I'll have to check into it. And, CLC, so adorable getting a "mama"!! I hope those nebs work for your DS.

We are just finishing up a round of the stomach bug over at our house! First DD, then me and DS on Monday, then my MIL (who took care of DS when I was sick on Monday), and my FIL (who apparently has absolutely no immune system, since he got it within hours of my MIL). DH has still not gotten it and I really hope he doesn't! What a mess. I have done at least 2 loads of laundry every day for almost a week.

Couple of questions - when did your little ones master the pincer grasp? DS is loving finger foods... when he can get them into his mouth! Which is not very often! He's just 7 months. Also, if you nursed, did any of your babies start "biting" you right before cutting a tooth? DS is not really chomping on toys/teethers, but has recently started "biting" me (which I put in quotes because he has no teeth. but it still hurts!)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Luv - sorry about the teacher! We went through that JUST as DD first started getting used to going to daycare. She still talks about that first teacher, who we all loved, but she is fine with her current teachers.

CLC and Med - thanks for the info on waterbabies. I actually just joined a YMCA near work, I'll have to check into it. And, CLC, so adorable getting a "mama"!! I hope those nebs work for your DS.

We are just finishing up a round of the stomach bug over at our house! First DD, then me and DS on Monday, then my MIL (who took care of DS when I was sick on Monday), and my FIL (who apparently has absolutely no immune system, since he got it within hours of my MIL). DH has still not gotten it and I really hope he doesn't! What a mess. I have done at least 2 loads of laundry every day for almost a week.

Couple of questions - when did your little ones master the pincer grasp? DS is loving finger foods... when he can get them into his mouth! Which is not very often! He's just 7 months. Also, if you nursed, did any of your babies start "biting" you right before cutting a tooth? DS is not really chomping on toys/teethers, but has recently started "biting" me (which I put in quotes because he has no teeth. but it still hurts!)

My DD is almost 9 months and sort of has the pincer grasp, but anything she picks up (pieces of puffs at this point), she's more concerned with balling it up in her fist or trying to transfer it from hand to hand. Nothing's made it in her mouth yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Summer - that's exactly what DS does. Thanks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Poppy - DS is 8 months and 1 week and he has the pincher grasp down.  I really started noticing that he got it about 2 weeks ago.  Also he bit me a couple of times and I told him no.  I just looked at me with a what are you talking about look.  I didnt last long thankfully! 

DS has his first ear infection.  DH watches DS on Thurs and I told him to make a doctor appt.  DH didnt think anything was wrong with him but DS had been waking up for the past 3 nights crying which he never does.  He was also pulling at his ear only in the morning and at night.  Im glad that I took him since he has an infection!  Mama knows best :) Hopefully tonight he will sleep better since he will be in the meds for 1.5 days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Poppy, DD has had the pincer grasp since about 7 months but my older daughter didn't master the skill until she was around 9 months or so, if I remember correctly.  DD#2 sucks her two fingers on her right hand (pointer and middle) and has since about 2 days old.  My theory is all the practice with the hand in the mouth has helped her master pincer grasp.  Early on, and now still when she's tired, she'll put the food in her mouth and transition to the two fingers staying in there in one smooth movement, sometimes with the bit of food popping out and sticking to the side of her face, forgotten in lieu of the glorious fingers haha. 

Don't worry about him not mastering it yet--once they do, they can get EVERYTHING into their mouths in a split second and you find them chewing on bits of dirt (chunks of mud out of my husband's work boots, for example--did I mention he works in a water treatment facility? ugh) so the pincer grasp is right up there with crawling and the whole "relax while you still can" part of developmental steps.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Have you all seen the new AAP release about antibiotics and ear infections? A friend just sent it to me: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57571103/antibiotics-for-ear-infections-pediatricians-release-new-guidelines/

I haven't really digested it all yet (just skimmed it the other day, then again just now), but seems like important reading for parents

Lissa - I LOL'd at your message. I guess I'll be content with putting puffs in his mouth for now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy, I'm all for limiting antibiotics.  Good to see that pediatricians are taking a serious look at perscribing these.  There is a time and place for them, but not at every hint of a fever (IMO).  I have a feeling this is why so many allergies are prevelent when there weren't any even just one generation ago - there are antibiotics everywhere and our immune systems just aren't as strong as they used to be.

We are a binky free house!  DS was using it just at nighttime and naptimes at home (we took it from any daytime use and away from daycare around first birthday).  So at 2 years, 5 months, I thought it was about time.  He woke up with a huge binky rash on his face Sunday morning, so that was the day.  We talked about it, told him that babies need the binkie and he is not a baby anymore.  I told him the mailman would deliver it to the babies.  He took the binkie box and we walked it to the mailbox.  He was so proud to put it in himself.  No problems going to sleep last night... he even remembered "no binkie... we gave them to the babies!"  And this morning it was the first thing he said "No more binkie, I put it in the mailbox for the babies. I'm not a baby anymore"  He asked if it would come back, and I said no, but that he still had all his friends (his stuffed animals and lovey friends) and that made him happy.  I'm guessing he'll have at least one rough night... it can't be this easy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Cute story about the binkies IPW!  DD is 2 years 8 months and is still absolutely addicted at bedtime and naptime.  Like you, we took it away for all other times.  She doesn't even have it for nap at daycare, but at home it is a different story.  Sometimes she has even snuck into her room and climbed INTO her crib to find a spare binky.  I will have to get some inspiration from your story to try and make the full break of the habit!!  I am not sure if she'll buy into the binkies-for-babies giveaway though.  I am due with DD2 in June and every time we drive by Babies R Us DD says - "there is the binky store mom, we'll have to get baby sister some new binkies because she can't have mine."  Oh boy, here comes the sibling rivalry already!