March Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: March Infants and Toddlers

Fram - I also have a harder time getting the straps tight on the convertible now that it's forward facing (Britax Marathon 70).  I agree with you, it's because when it was rear facing I could pull on them from behind the seat, rather than just using that one strap.

But the part about getting your whole arm in there is pretty extreme.  Any chance you bought it from a store you can go to for help?  Or is there any possibility part of the strapping in back is catching on something?  We don't have the same seat so I don't really know, but that definitely sounds like a Bad Scene.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Has anyone taken any mygym classes with their little ones? Looking for something to sign the kids up for, and they actually have saturday classes for DD-which is hard to find! Even finding classes for DS (4) is tough! They are all during the week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I think the waking up part is whats holding me back.  It is so easy (just heavy) to take the bucket into stores, restaurants, etc when she is sleeping.  I also have to take her to daycare most days right from her crib, so in my mind if I put her right into the bucket with the bundle me it isn't as bad.  She's tall though and her little feet are starting to stick out.  The time is coming soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Nov - for me DS was getting too heavy for both my mom (she does daycare pick up) and myself to be carrying him in the bucket.  Also, it was starting to get a little tight in the bucket; however, that's mostly due to the bundleme.  He would have had plenty of room once we removed that.

The convenience of having him in the bucket is something I definitely miss.  I have been able to successfully remove him from his seat twice while sleeping and get him into his crib without waking up though so hopefully it's just something he'll get use to!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

Nov - for me DS was getting too heavy for both my mom (she does daycare pick up) and myself to be carrying him in the bucket.  Also, it was starting to get a little tight in the bucket; however, that's mostly due to the bundleme.  He would have had plenty of room once we removed that.

The convenience of having him in the bucket is something I definitely miss.  I have been able to successfully remove him from his seat twice while sleeping and get him into his crib without waking up though so hopefully it's just something he'll get use to!

My DD was also getting really heavy for it, and with my back injury I couldn't really lug it around anymore without being in pain. Plus her head was getting pretty close to the top of the seat.

I miss being able to keep her in it, and now trips to the store with her are less because I don't want to put her in the shopping cart seat- I have one of those seat cover things, but then there's the getting her and the bags back in the car, into the house, etc.

She always woke up when we got to our destination though- even in the bucket. The car stopping, engine turning off and opening the car door always woke her up. She's a pretty light sleeper.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

One more - what about the recline?  It is more upright thatn the bucket correct, so when baby sleeps does his/her head flop all over?  Or way forward? That one always freaks me out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Nov - I just got back from bringing DS to the doctor and his head over flopped forward when he fell asleep. He looked uncomfortable. Anyone have any suggestions to make him more comfortable?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

One more - what about the recline?  It is more upright thatn the bucket correct, so when baby sleeps does his/her head flop all over?  Or way forward? That one always freaks me out.

I think you can adjust the recline angle on some seats, if not all. At least I know we can on ours. I was worried about that too, but the shoulder pad things seem like good makeshift headrests.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Our convertible seats were still at a 45 degree angle when rear facing.  (Actually one was and the other had two settings, one being 45 degrees.)  They are more roomy, though, so it might help to have something on the sides of a baby's heading, as long as it doesn't interfere with the carseat of course.

DD started saying her name yesterday!  I was so excited!!  It's kind of hard for a little one to pronounce, so she had been calling herself baby for a while.  My heart pretty much melts on a weekly basis :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

In a rational world, car seats would be made by car manufacturers.  Yes, you'd have to buy two sets if you've got two different model cars, and it would be less than ideal if you have to borrow a car or get a ride with someone...but there would be a lot less confusion and runaround. 

And I am suspicious of the idea that the car manufacturers are too afraid of lawsuits to make them...they make the cars themselves and the air bags and the seat belts already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

We have britax marathons as well, it's a fantastic car seat.  Yes we tethered rear facing, my engineer brother figured it out.  He did find something in the book that said it "didnt have to be tethered" i think i remember language that tethering was optional, but untethered the seat flips backwards when you hit the brakes, it felt very unsafe.  In terms of why we changed seats when we did, it wasn't that the buckets were too heavy - there's a height limit on every bucket in addition the a weight limit.  At our 9 month pedi visit, we came in with the buckets and were informed that we needed new car seats immediately as our son already measured at the height limit.  

Their heads do seem to flop (to side usually) when sleeping rear, also now front facing, but i think it was harder to look at than it seemed to be for them.  Still, i usually brought a small light blanket and tucked a corner up  like a little pillOw on one side for support. 

My only real critique of the marathon is that it's a beast to wash.  Maybe they all are, I don't know. But the couple of times I've needed to pull off the lining and put it in the washer / it's a major project....

For what it's worth, once we flipped to forward facing / the children love their seats too.