March Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

March Infants and Toddlers

I just posted this in Feb I & T but then realized it's March already...

I need some advice on sick toddlers and TV...My DD has been sick with the worse cold she's had yet- bad runny nose, fever, not eating much, bad cough. When DH and I stayed home with her the past few days, all she wants to do is watch Barney or one of her other shows. If we say no or turn it off after a while she has a complete tantrum. Last night she went on and on for easily a half hour straight. (My problem is that I cave in and let her). I don't know how much of her behavior is from being sick or approaching the terrible twos. DH and I decided we need to set limits on how much she watches, but what can I do, if anything, while she's screaming her head off and throwing herself (literally) on the floor? Trying to distract her with toys, coloring, playdoh, might work for a few minutes but not very long.

ETA: She also recently is refusing to eat at the table. A few weeks ago she stopped wanting to sit in her booster chair and did great eating in a "big girl chair" (regular dining chair) for a while, but now that she has the freedom to get down when she wants, she often wants to get down and be "done" (after eating very little). This issue is unrelated to the sickness....

We've created a monster...help!Cry

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: March Infants and Toddlers

I feel your pain, Summer! DS is obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He's even more relentless about wanting to watch cat videos on YouTube (thanks to DH) and videos of himself on our iPad (little narcissist -- thanks to my Mom for that one!). Our limit is usually 1 show in the morning and 1 in the evening, although I'll admit I sometimes exceed that on days when we're stuck inside a lot. We're lucky that he doesn't usually throw tantrums over it (he saves those for when we give him the wrong sippy cup), but he is relentless in asking, and I will just repeat "No more tv this morning" a few times and then just ignore his requests once I'm pretty sure it's sunk in. 

As with everything, the important thing is to set a limit and stick to it. DD might keep asking and trying to push, but hopefully once you've had a couple weeks of sticking to a limit, she'll calm down about it. And, hard as it is, it's important not to cave. I've had times when I've initially said no and then had second thoughts, but I force myself to stick to it because I know his relentless requests will get worse if he thinks they work. 

I wouldn't try to change anything while she's still sick, though. Our tv limits go out the window when DS is really sick...and often when we are, too. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

It's so hard when they are sick!  I feel for you.  I seem to recall around that age was when I would find myself hesitating before setting a limit because I knew that if I was going to go for it, I was in it for the long haul!  Screaming or whatever.  I think DD improved once she could understand what the rule was, but maybe that was a bit older.  She still (3.5) might get cranky when it's time to turn off TV, but maybe only about 20% of the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

There are times when TV rules go out the window in our house-illness and traveling! The one and only way to get my kids to relax (not run around the house constantly) is to have the TV/movie on. If that's what it takes them to rest their little bodies so be it! Do they get hooked on watching more, of course. But I slowly ease it back. create distractions for them-a new art activity, play dough etc.

We've created the scenario that the TV is only for the kids, it is next to impossible to watch grown up TV when the kids are around. If the TV is on the kids expect it to be a kid show. The second we try and watch the news the kids are complaining that it's boring! ha! thing is I don't really want the kids to be watching most of the stuff on the news anyway (commercials too)-so it's rare we even try to watch the news when they are up.

RE: dinner time sitting-DD plays musical chairs during dinner. We eat at the dining room table so there are multiple options on where she can sit. last night she sat in 3 different spots. But she ate. thing to remember at 2 kids are more grazers...so she'd come for a bite, then change seats, talk, have another bite etc. While it is frustrating for a parent, it does get better on its own. DS used to do the same, and we stressed more about it, but the joys of #2 we just don't get that worked up about it. At the end of a long day at day care, the kids sometimes just don't have it in them to sit and have a proper adult like meal. They have steam they need to let go of, they've held it together (most days) at school, dinner time is when they tend to lose it more often. when at restaurants the kids can stay contained at our table, so I don't worry that much.

med-I totally agree, some battles are not worth the struggle! I try not to dig my heals in on anything that isn't a big issue. DS cried for 40 minutes over a bandaid-I (stupidly) dug my heals in and said he had to have the one I gave him. Then of course you can't let your child "win" when you've made the decision. After a few minutes of him crying about wanting a different Buzz Light Year bandaid I wanted to cave, but everyone said that would create a monster of a child...so I stayed strong. Worst decision I have ever made (I still remember the day vividly 3 years later!). Now the kids can open the entire box of bandaids (though I only buy plain ones) if they want-so not worth the stress!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

TV and meals...always the things that stress us out the most! 

I agree with others that when kids are sick (or when I am), our TV rules go out the window. If she's on the couch, snuggled under covers, we will let Disney Junior on for a long while when she's sick.  (that's the 3 year old, the 1.5 year old is easier to get to sleep!) 

Normally, it's one show in the morning, while I'm showering and DH is making lunches, and then one show in the evening, after baths, before stories.  We do have family movie night every Friday or Saturday, though, when we watch a movie together in PJs, so that's an exception.  I will say, though, that this winter, it's been so cold, that there has been more tv than I would like on weekends...I am counting down the days until it's warm enough to be outside, since both of my kids would rather be in our yard or at the park than inside any day!  I'm even over the indoor play place, which has been a god send, but I want some sunshine!  

For meals, I agree with Kam.  My kids definitely do not sit at the table through the whole meal, but if DH and I are still there, they are likely to come back and have something else.  They also usually have a snack as soon as they come home from daycare, like fruit or a cheese stick, since they are usually starving, so they're not as hungry as we are for dinner...they are both grazers, and will almost always eat more if what is on their plates is the same as what is on ours.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KAM - I have been there!

If I had it to do over again, I do think that when DD was younger we let her choose too much.  Let them have choices, they said.  They'll feel more in control, they said!  We let it get out of hand, though, and then she was always wanting to choose.  I try to be clearer now about what she can and cannot decide.  DH struggles with this - example - DH: "who do you want to brush your teeth?" DD: "You!" DH: "how about if mom brushes your teeth and then I can do PJ's?"  And then of course she whines.  I've been trying to push with him that if he says she can decide we have to respect the decision, or otherwise we just don't give her the option.  I think he's used to the reflex of giving her a choice.  And possibly used to the days when she used to always choose mom.  :)

Commercials are my pet peeve.  We don't watch grown up TV with the kids around, in general, but last year DH wanted to watch the red sox with DD.  Totally fine, except that some of the commercials are inappropriate.  Not so concerned about words because it mostly goes over her head, some of the depiction of women I dislike, but I was particularly irritated by previews for scary movies and TV shows.  Some of those previews are really scary!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Med-I wish parenting books/ didn't say stuff "don't cave when you've made a decision" but said "don't buy character bandaids/underwear/ice packs etc." DH will do similar things, DS can wear anything in his dresser-but he'll pick a sweater DH doesn't think is warm enough and tried to make DS change. Um, he chose, he's dressed, he won't freeze-where is the problem? Life is eaiser with toddler when they only have two choices "You can brush your teeth yourself frist, or Mommy brush them." Also recommend not talking to the kids in questions, but statements. As a culture we try hard to include the kids and "foster conversation" by asking questions, when with little ones statements work better. "You can sit on the floor or the chair to put your shoes on" gives the choice but limites it better than "Do you want to sit on the chair or the floor to put your shoes on?" opens it up to more possible options/arguments from a toddler.

Commericals are the worst! I recently realized I cannot stand Sophia the First. Hello overly entitled children! "I want a cake with 100 layers! More is better!" I get they are trying to show the "humble" Sophia. But it fails. The show is now banned in the house.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Also recommend not talking to the kids in questions, but statements. As a culture we try hard to include the kids and "foster conversation" by asking questions, when with little ones statements work better. "You can sit on the floor or the chair to put your shoes on" gives the choice but limites it better than "Do you want to sit on the chair or the floor to put your shoes on?" opens it up to more possible options/arguments from a toddler.

YES, YES, YES!  I'm even a victim of asking vs. making statements when giving choices.

And, yes, i do think it takes time for parents (and teachers) to learn how to give choices without giving TOO MANY choices, or giving the impression that everything in life is open to choices and discussion.  You may choose the red or green shirt, but you will wear a coat, you will wear this coat (because it's the only winter coat I bought for you) and you will put it on now and get out the door because we need to go. 

And, yes, Med, good for your husband to think about the choices he gives, and whether he wants to give her a choice at all. "Time to brush teeth - you're going to do it with Mom, then I'm going to help with PJs and read the books" works so much better, doesn't it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hi everyone! I've been away from these boards for so long; it's like I blink and 3 months go by!

I don't know how parents could possibly get through an illness without suspending TV rules! You do what you need to do sometimes.

It's been a crazy time for us....DD is 4 months a lot of fun now, smiling, laughing, babbling. We also just decided to sell our house and move to NH! We'll go from being an hour and a half from DH's family to only 15 minutes. I'm really excited! And OT, but does anyone know a good realtor around Concord, NH?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Hope you all had a good weekend.

DD1 (3.5) was sick over the weekend with no other symptoms other than a fever.  Was just a 24-hour bug I guess and she's fine today.  Very timely though with the discussion that was going on last week.  When she is sick, and needs to take it easy, giving in and letting her watch some favorite tv shows/movies is the only thing that makes her slow down and rest.  We watched A LOT of tv yesterday.  I don't worry too much about it.  All bets are off when we are dealing with sick kids in my house.  Whatever works.

In other excitement, DD2 (9 months) flipped herself out of her exersaucer yesterday!  DH was out on the deck grilling and I was about 10 feet away tending to something on the stove.  Heard a thud, then a wail.  Was SHOCKED to see her on the floor!  Poor thing landed on her head, so we had the paramedics come and check her out, just to be safe.  Seeing as the only one that saw her fall was DD1, we didn't know just how hard she hit.  Thank goodness it was just a bruise and she is fine.  Definitely got our hearts racing for a while though.  I had no idea that she could even do that.  We raised the height of it immediately and truth be told, I'm probably never putting her in it again.  She loves the jumperoo, so I think the exersaucer has seen its last hurrah in my house.  Just my public-service-announcement for the day... be careful of those things!  So scary!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP - very exciting.  Good luck with the move.  Love the thoughts above about giving choices, but in statements rather than questions.  I'm going to try to use that more.  DS2 is doing really well, 16 weeks today.  Had to bring him to the docs last week as he had a rash on his face that just wouldn't go away.  And one morning he woke up looking like he fell into a cactus... he had scratched himself pretty bad.  A steroid cream has done wonders.  I feel bad I didn't go sooner. Doc said it was a mild excema, especially with very cold winter (everyone, non-doctor of course, kept telling me it was his hair since the rash was just around his hairline).  He's such a happy baby (and my DS1 was too... how did I get so lucky!?).  He is sleeping well... down by 8:30 and usually only up once sometime between 2-4am to eat quick, then right back to sleep (and most times can fall asleep on his own with his noise machine on one cycle).  Last night was 1am and 3:45am... but I'll just chaulk it up to DST and hope tonight is back to just once!  DS1 just loves him so much.  I hestitate to write this, as then it will change, but no jealousy issues at all (so far).  I'm so glad we tried to teach DS1 patience well before the baby as sometimes he has to wait for something, and he doesn't seem overly bothered.  Although I do try very often to do the opposite... make DS2 wait, purposely showing DS1 that both of them have to be patient sometimes.  They still look exactly the same... its very comical that I had the same baby twice!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats WPP! I'm excited for you to be close to DH's family. I have some real estate contacts in Manchester, but nothing in Concord. Is DH going to get a job up there or will he be able to telecommute to his current job.

IPW, my DS has some excema issues too. I've started using the Aveno oatmeal bath, which seems to work okay. He doesn't seem bothered by it, but every so often his face or legs will break out. I think I feel worse about it than he does.

Does anyone have experience with biters? DS bites me all the time. My shoulder, my leg, anything he can get his mouth on. Sometimes it's just my clothes, other times it's my skin. I end the day with my shoulders soaked and bitemarks all over me. Anytime I catch him biting, I very sternly say, "Firstname Middlename, no biting." (Middle name too so he knows he's in trouble lol) 99% of the time, he looks at me and giggles. The other 1%, he may cry or look upset. I've tried giving him a toy to chew on but he loses interest so fast and then it's back to climbing on Mama. He doesn't bite anyone else, just me. Of course, DH thinks I'm exaggerating. Yesterday he said, "You seem annoyed that he's biting and slobbering on you." Really? Is that a thing I'm not supposed to be annoyed about?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

the time change has been brutal for us so far. It has messed with bedtimes, and since it gets dark later, the kids want to go outside now after they get home and before dinner... DD woke up last night wide awake and ready to play at 3AM and would not settle down until 5, and included some ear piercing shrieks when she wanted to do something she could not get to right that minute.

As for biting, chiclet, I am not sure how old your LO is... but when DD's first teeth started to come through so I think around 6-7 months and would nip during nursing, I was very quick to (first yelp) then either hand her off to DH or plop her into the mini-crib and say very firmly "No biting!" She did that only a few times, and every once in a while for a month but realized I was serious and consistent in immediate removal from me as soon as I felt those teeth, she stopped (DH is not the same since she can not nurse on him) - and despite all the teeth she has now, she has never nipped since that brief period. Nothing made her more mad and upset than having her nursing session interrupted - and being removed from my attention. (it is more that she hates not being held by me than anything else).

That is also how we stopped her from pulling DS's hair (she has managed to pull him down to the ground by his hair) - we would immediately remove her from DS, shower DS with attention while she watched from the other side of the mini-crib or baby gate (depending on where it happened) and redirect her to "pet" instead of pulling. Nothing gets her more upset than seeing DS get all my undivided attention so she learned quickly that pulling his hair will result in immediate action. (unfortunately, it is not quite the same if it is DH's attention that is on DS - she would just go and find something else to do but as soon as DS steps in my direction, she makes sure she puts her claim on me too).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

CWag, I should have mentioned... He's 10 months now (not sure how that's possible) and has 6 teeth. He nips me while nursing every so often. Most of the time it's because he tries to smile while he eats and he clamps down. How do you get mad at that? He has a pretty miserable latch and occasionally he'll latch with his teeth. I unlatch him and tap his teeth and say, "Your teeth hurt Mama." Sometimes I'll try to redirect him with a teether from the fridge and tell him that we can nurse again when he doesn't feel like biting any more. I have mixed success with that. It depends on his intention. I don't think he has any teeth coming in right now. He always has a finger jammed in the back of his mouth, but it seems way way too early for him to be getting a molar right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

it is not too early for molars. DD's first full set already started to pop out when we went to her 12 month well check last year and I think they take longer to come up than the front teeth (i.e. we noticing her chewing on spoons, fingers etc for a long while before we could see/feel them).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ALS... that's *crazy*.  I am so glad to hear that your LO is okay.  That must have been so scary!  I can't even imagine how that would happen!  We still use ours for DS (10 months), but I am going to watch very closely next time.  Do you think she pulled out with her arms by grabbing on??

Chiclet - the only thing I have ever heard of working for this age is to remove yourself.  When he bites, say "no biting" in a neutral tone and put him down and take a step away, like cwag said.  Just for a second.  The words by themselves are like an interesting form of attention, so the separation is key.  You can also try to anticipate the bite and give a teether, but I always found that easier said than done!

So, DS has a new skill, throwing.  And it is SO cute.  He is trying to toss anything he can get his hands on and then watches to see what it does.  He is definitely in a needy phase, but also a stinking cute one, learning so many things.  I found out by accident that he knows the word "dance", and if I say "dance dance, (name)!" he will bounce up and down and wave his arms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks Med - and yes it was totally crazy.   She started crawling recently, and I thought I was putting her in a "safe" place while I ran back and forth from the kitchen.  I have no idea how she really did it... but I suspect that it was a combination of her leaning out of it really far and using her arms.  She is army-crawling a lot on her belly, so I know her little biceps are gettin' strong!

I agree that all the advice I've heard on biting is to calmly say "no biting" and remove from the situation.  My DD2 still has no teeth at almost 9.5 months... but I'm scared of nursing once she does.  Sometimes even clamping those gums makes me see stars!

WPP - exciting about the move! Congrats!

Med - too cute about your DS!  Isn't it wild what they understand at this age?!  Really cute about the dancing!  I caught DD2 doing a little groove on her activity mat the other day when DD1 was banging on a piano keyboard.  Too funny!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Cwag... similar post about DST and lighter evenings.  Previously we'd get home from daycare around 5:15 or so and it was already dark.  So no requests to play outside.  Last night DS1 (3.5) realized very quickly that he could still see, and therefore wanted to ride his tractor and bike and play outside.  I was immediately challenged as DS2 (4mth) wanted to eat post haste, dinner needed to be started and DS1 really, really wanted to go outside.  Somehow I made it work.. but in a rather frantic manner.  It was a night DH wasn't home until almost 7... so no additional help.  I have no clue how I'm going to keep up with that evening schedule (especially since DS1 loves to be outside whenever he can) one of those things will probably have to suffer... and I see it being dinner.  DS1 waited somewhat patiently while I quickly nursed DS2... and last night I tried to involve him in dinner making, which held him off a bit, but we don't have the kind of yard where I can just let him go out on his own.  I can see this as a real challenge this summer when DS2 isn't quite so content to sit in his bucket seat.

Chicklet... I do remember DS1 was a biter... but only to me as well.  He literally didn't do it to anyone else (even though he was subject to several biters at school).  I did exactly the same... very stern "no" and a corresponding time out (as DS also didn't like being away from the action).   It can really hurt... sorry for your shoulders!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

ALS - second time in two days we've posted at the exact same time.  We must have the same lull in our daily schedule to check boston.com :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Very funny IPW!  ;)  I've definitely been suffering from the mid-day lull lately (I'll blame my lack of concentration on daylight savings time too!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

ALS - So scary! Glad she's okay!

WPP - Congrats on the move! I grew up in NH and Concord is lovely.

I am stressing over DS's teeth. He turned 2 last month, and we've been brushing his teeth for the better part of a year. Problem is, now that he's in the throes of "I do it myself," he has all but refused to let us do ANY of the brushing for the last too-many-to-remember months. He screams, writhes, runs away, or, on a good day, just bites down on the toothbrush so we can't move it. He LOVES the ritual of tooth brushing, but all he does is suck on the brush and move it around uselessly in his mouth, all while demanding that we brush at the same time as him.

I know he'll get past it, but I'm worried about tooth damage. We avoid the cavity-inducing stuff (sweets, juice, bottle/sippy in the crib) but the kid has pretty much never had a decent tooth brushing in his life. His pedi didn't seem concerned and said it's fine -- maybe better -- to wait until age 3 to go to the dentist, but I'm stressing over it. Should I just make an appointment? After his last doc's appt, I'm not psyched to do so. I swear he has an innate sense when he's being taken into a medical building and immediately freaks out...we'd never get him into a dentist's chair :-). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:

ALS - So scary! Glad she's okay!

WPP - Congrats on the move! I grew up in NH and Concord is lovely.

I am stressing over DS's teeth. He turned 2 last month, and we've been brushing his teeth for the better part of a year. Problem is, now that he's in the throes of "I do it myself," he has all but refused to let us do ANY of the brushing for the last too-many-to-remember months. He screams, writhes, runs away, or, on a good day, just bites down on the toothbrush so we can't move it. He LOVES the ritual of tooth brushing, but all he does is suck on the brush and move it around uselessly in his mouth, all while demanding that we brush at the same time as him.

I know he'll get past it, but I'm worried about tooth damage. We avoid the cavity-inducing stuff (sweets, juice, bottle/sippy in the crib) but the kid has pretty much never had a decent tooth brushing in his life. His pedi didn't seem concerned and said it's fine -- maybe better -- to wait until age 3 to go to the dentist, but I'm stressing over it. Should I just make an appointment? After his last doc's appt, I'm not psyched to do so. I swear he has an innate sense when he's being taken into a medical building and immediately freaks out...we'd never get him into a dentist's chair :-). 

Sometimes when DD (20 months) refuses to let us help her brush her teeth, we do it the hard way. One of us holds her down and the other brushes. Even if she's mad and screaming, her mouth is still open :)  She mostly agrees to it if we let her do it first, but only when we 'warn' her first that someone else is going to help her too.

If he gets water with flouride in it (most tap water nowadays)  and avoids most of the bad stuff, I wouldn't be too worried.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Arcain, I had to take my DS to the dentist at 9 months (he has marbled enamel and we were told to get it checked out). The dentist told me to do his appointment where they count teeth, etc at 2.5 years. It sounded pretty low impact. If you're concerned, I would just make an appointment and get it over with. If you see a pediatric dentist, they should have all the tricks to get your DS into the chair.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

One thing DH is absolutely fanatical about is dental care (mostly because of dental history in his family). And then seeing a 3 or 4 year old with a mouth of capped teeth at a b-day party DS attended when he was 3 totally freaked him out even more.

So both of our kids have gone to a pediatric dentist since they were a year (going every 6 months) - one of them gave us the best tip on how to brush a reluctant child's teeth, which was to gently pin the arms with our legs and head such that they can not flail or move to bury their mouths on their side (we make it a game... hold on to our legs and try to keep them from shaking too much) and sing a song while we brush. DS was 2 when we finally got this tip, and it took a few days of him really resisting it, but then the games with the singing (like we purposely mangle the ABC song) and "help, keep my legs from shaking so much". We have been brushing DD since a year with this method (with wet toothbrush) so she would be used to the routine - lessons we learned from first time around.

And we discussed the use of xylitol to help with tooth decay prevention - so definitely talk to a pediatric dentist and ask about xylitol. For us, the kids have a routine for after dinner (drink water, get a teether or silcone spoon with a dab of xylitol and then the usual brushing of teeth before bed).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all! Cwag, I'm going to try making it into a game - he usually responds well to stuff like that when he's resisting diaper changes, etc. And I might take your advice, Summer, and take him to a dentist anyway. There's supposed to be a great pediatric practice near me, and I guess the worst thing is it just doesn't work.

Speaking of dentists, I learned something at my yearly benefits meeting at work that might help some of you. Apparently under the ACA, health plans now have to cover preventative dental coverage for kids under 19. Double-check your policies, but it's likely that you don't need to have your LOs on a dental plan if you don't anticipate anything beyond routine visits. I'll probably put DS on mine when he gets a little older, since I needed orthodontic work from a fairly early age, but for now it's not really worth it.

And, now, a weird question I've been meaning to ask. I'd be surprised if anyone else is familiar with this issue, but, kids are weird, so I'm going to try: DS seems to be an aspiring gymnast. He's gotten really into doing handstands (may have something to do with the class I've been taking him to at Little Gym :-)) and now wants to do them ALL. THE. TIME. It's fine when he's supervised and we set limits around not doing them in dangerous places, etc., but the issue is that he does them in his crib before going to sleep. It's rather hilarious, and he controls himself incredibly well, but I have a nagging worry he's going to seriously hurt his neck. But there's no stopping him right now, unless we go in over and over and make him stop.

My gut tells me that if he's physically advanced enough to do these, he probably has an innate sense of how to keep from breaking his neck, but I still worry. We do try the tactics they've taught at Little Gym when they do somersaults (telling the kids to "Sniff your belly" to get them to tuck the head), but I'm not sure it totally gets through. Any chance anyone else has dealt with a little gymnast like this?

Sections
Shortcuts