March Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: March Infants and Toddlers

Re: brushing/dentist-we've definitely done the pin down with legs and force them to open brush some nights. But with DD I give her one brush and I have another (one is regular and the other is an electric toothbrush), so DD's mouth is full off tooth brushes but I make sure they all get brushed. some niights she's more into the electric brush. But she always wants to put the tooth paste on herself.

We've been taking the kids to the dentist since they were 1 year old. in the beginning it's just a count the teeth thing, but DD's last visit at 2 the doctor managed to actually clean and floss her teeth. For flossing I use the dentek picks, so I don't have to stick my fingers in the kid's mouths-too dangerous! Even if you don't take them every 6 months, it's good to have a dentist  on file incase of emergencies. Our dentist gives out her cell phone if we needed it after hours-she'll meet us at the office any time of day. We have had one dental emergency and I was glad DS was used to seeing his dentist.

Arcain-I'm definitely looking up if our primary healthcare will cover the dentist! For adults they only covr $8 of an exam-which is just awesome! As for the headstands-no great advice, but DS likes to watch TV upside down on his head...drives me bonkers. I just gave him the speach about hurting his neck and not being able to play if he hurt it bad enough. It scared him for the moment-but he's 5.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

My now 3 year old daughter is also a ridiculous gymnast.  Lots and lots and LOTS of bruises.  to the point I felt compelled at her check up to tell her pediatrician that no, we don't beat her.   If it can be climbed she will climb.  She was out of her crib at 17 months because she was climbing in/out 20x a night.  Nothing is out of reach, I have found her standing on the kitchen counter (to get to the top shelf where I keep the m&ms).  She climbs the chain link fence at the park.  i see the looks on other parents faces "I'd never let my LO do that".  She stands on her head.  Lots and lots of rolls.  so far, thankfully - no permanent harm.  I've accepted her athleticism - I have no choice.  So far, she can get out of whatever she gets into.  My breath catches at some of what I've seen her do (like you, the neck :-0.  But the bigger deal I've made at some of it, the more she wants to do it so I've learned to back off.  I try to count to 10 before I leap... Good luck - sometimes it's hard to watch. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MEAC2009. Show MEAC2009's posts

Summer, I'm not sure where you're located but we brought our DD to The Medford Center for Orthodonitcs and Pediatric Dentistry (we saw Dr. DeFeo) and the whole place was great. They send you the paperwork ahead of the first visit so you don't have to try to fill it out with a toddler running around and they give the kids "prizes" after the visit and have a very kid-friendly waiting area. DD had just turned 1 when we took her so Dr. DeFeo had me sit in a chair facing her with our knees almost touching and DD on my lap facing me. Then I laid DD back so her head was on the Dr.'s lap and she did the exam that way. I thought the whole thing was great and DD didn't freak out as much as I thought she would. They ended up referring us to Children's to see an oral surgeon because DD has a little lump on the roof of her mouth that has been there since birth. They were also great at Children's and lucky the lump isn't anything that we have to worry about (kind of like a skin tag but on her palate). We'll definitely keep going to Dr. DeFeo for check-ups. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to MEAC2009's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Summer, I'm not sure where you're located but we brought our DD to The Medford Center for Orthodonitcs and Pediatric Dentistry (we saw Dr. DeFeo) and the whole place was great. They send you the paperwork ahead of the first visit so you don't have to try to fill it out with a toddler running around and they give the kids "prizes" after the visit and have a very kid-friendly waiting area. DD had just turned 1 when we took her so Dr. DeFeo had me sit in a chair facing her with our knees almost touching and DD on my lap facing me. Then I laid DD back so her head was on the Dr.'s lap and she did the exam that way. I thought the whole thing was great and DD didn't freak out as much as I thought she would. They ended up referring us to Children's to see an oral surgeon because DD has a little lump on the roof of her mouth that has been there since birth. They were also great at Children's and lucky the lump isn't anything that we have to worry about (kind of like a skin tag but on her palate). We'll definitely keep going to Dr. DeFeo for check-ups. 

[/QUOTE]

Sort of confused....I'm not seeking out dentists, but thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MEAC2009. Show MEAC2009's posts

Opps! Sorry Summer...I must have misread...someone was asking about dentists right? Or am I losing it. :-) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think it was Arcain asking about dentist, and Summer quoted her.....

We take DD to the same dentist we see. She started getting exams around 3, but the hygenist recommended we bring her a couple of time for our appointments so she could watch, so when she was 2.5, she went when I went for my check up, and then when DH went, so she had seen an exam and cleaning a few times before it was her turn. Then when she had her first cleaning, I went first, and the hygenist explanined everything that was going on. They have TVs in all the rooms that usually show ads for caps and bleaching, but she turned on an episode where Dora the Explorer goes to the dentist. By the time it was her turn to ride in the special chair, have her teeth counted, and the "tooth tickler" polish her teeth, I couldn't have kept her from going - she was thrilled. I think having seen what happens, and having someone who is great with kids, like my hygenist is, makes the dentist a positive experience.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

It was me asking about dentists, and thanks for the tips! We supposedly have a good pediatric practice near me, so I think I might just bring DS (2) for an introductory appointment to ease my mind.

Mal - Thanks for the advice on a little gymnast! I think my DS would react the same way if I tried to limit his crib headstands, etc., so I haven't. I do tell him he can't do them on the couch, just because I'm afraid he'll do it when we're not in the room and fall, but other than that I'm going to give him pretty much free reign when he's in a safe place :-). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Timely - DD went to the dentist for the first time yesterday!  3 years old.  She did pretty well, actually.  She got nervous when the dentist came in to talk to her, but the actual exam was no problem.  I took her to my dentist, and made us appointments at the same time - she held my hand during mine because she was nervous being there, but by the time I was done the hygienist had her laughing.  The hygienist was *great*.

Here is my scary update - check your furniture, especially the kind you assemble yourself, for those little wood plugs that go in the screw holes!  I assembled a cubby thing for toys recently and I purposely didn't put those things on because they seemed dangerous, but we had a crate and barrel kitchen cart/island thing that we've had since way before kids - I never even noticed that it had the wood plugs.  A couple of days ago I put DS down in the kitchen while I was cleaning up from dinner - a few minutes later I looked over the kitchen cart to see what he was up to, and he was lying there with a wood plug (about the size around of a quarter) in his hand and also in his mouth!  Thank goodness he was still holding onto it and it wasn't all the way in his mouth.  Of course I immediately removed all the other ones, but the other scary part is that they were really hard to get out, but I'm guessing with wood stretching and shrinking at different times, you could check them once and find they're fine, and later they would be loose.  Most of our other furniture is older hand me downs and didn't have them, but the other place I found them on my house-wide hunt was on our coat racks - the kind that's like a piece of wood with several hooks attached.  Obviously he can't reach them, but after that scare I am not taking the risk that they could get knocked out onto the floor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

You're all probably going to think I'm a crazy person, but has anyone ever hired a photographer for a birthday party? I'm leaning towards hiring one for DS's birthday party, depending on the cost. 

Med, that's so scary with the furniture buttons. I have taken to gluing ours in because they always seem to pop out and I don't want to lose them. I never thought about DS trying to eat one (although he totally would if given the opportunity)! It's so scary what babies can get into!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You're all probably going to think I'm a crazy person, but has anyone ever hired a photographer for a birthday party? I'm leaning towards hiring one for DS's birthday party, depending on the cost. 

[/QUOTE]
     I haven't, but don't think I haven't considered it! In the end it was just one more thing to add to the cost...plus the fact when I really thought about it, a birthday isn't a wedding, even a first birthday, so I couldn't justify hiring a professional when I have my own really nice camera!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Chiclet - i have seriously considered doing that. I think it's a great idea. I've asked friends/family to take pictures/videos, but in the end they usually don't come out that well. Every single bday party I've hosted I have NO time to take a single picture because I am running around... hosting. If I ever do a bday party at a location other than my house (which I will be as of this year), I'm hoping to have time to take pictures. My neighbor is a budding professional photographer who we have hired to do some photos and she is very good and very inexpensive. If I can find her new website I will post.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Chiclet- We hired a photographer for DD's first bday party and I am so, so glad we did!  He got great candids of her, and the guests.  He also setup a backdrop and we did some staged photos - different combos of families, friends, etc.   Throughout the party anyone could do photos (f.ex. Our friends and thier kids could do a family photo) and he set the photos all up on a website that we gave out and anyone could buy any prints ther wanted.  We ended up getting a lot of photos that we used as gifts to family at Christmastime (DD with my grandmother f. ex.), and my mother got one of those collage frames and made an awesome montage of the whole party.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

Awesome pedi dentist on beacon st in brookline.  Pediatric Dental Associates.  We very been twice, at 2 and at 2 1/2.  First visit was a bit rough, they were barely able to hold their mouths open - it was scary for them even though they sat in our lap.  Amazing transformation by visit two, they sat by themselves in the chair and really had their teeth cleaned!  Awesome hygienist who does phenomenal job with young kids (Nicole!).  The dentist did a Donald Duck impersonation as he counted my daughters teeth, she was awed into holding her mouth open.  I'd go there myself if I could!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Nov - You inspired me to go through and hire the photographer. It's not cheap, that's for sure, but I think I'm going to be happy with how it turns out. DS only turns one once! (PS. I'm totally not going overboard when he turns two. I promise!)

We switched DS to his convertible car seat last weekend and I think he hates it. He cries as soon as we try to sit him in it. Then he arches his back and scoots down. It's a big struggle. It's an adjustment for me too. I feel like I can't pull his straps tight enough and he's not napping well. It takes him awhile to settle down in his seat and then we can't just leave him in his seat to keep napping like we could when he was in his bucket. He wakes up as soon as we take him out. Is there something I can do to make it better? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:

Nov - You inspired me to go through and hire the photographer. It's not cheap, that's for sure, but I think I'm going to be happy with how it turns out. DS only turns one once! (PS. I'm totally not going overboard when he turns two. I promise!)

We switched DS to his convertible car seat last weekend and I think he hates it. He cries as soon as we try to sit him in it. Then he arches his back and scoots down. It's a big struggle. It's an adjustment for me too. I feel like I can't pull his straps tight enough and he's not napping well. It takes him awhile to settle down in his seat and then we can't just leave him in his seat to keep napping like we could when he was in his bucket. He wakes up as soon as we take him out. Is there something I can do to make it better? 

Is it still reclined enough so if he does fall asleep,  his head is supported instead of falling sideways or forward? (if that makes sense- what would give him a "crick" in his neck/sore neck). If not, try putting it to a more reclined position. I could be wrong but I think I've seen padded things you can put onto carseat straps to help support the head of a sleeping child, but then there's always a safety risk to anything you add to a carseat so I'm not sure if you'd be comfortable with that.

How long did he nap in the car? A few minutes at a time or a whole solid nap? If it's the latter, you might need to get him to nap more reliably at a different time in a crib, etc. Otherwise it might just take time for him to get used to it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

The reclined position was the first thing I thought of too, but DH said it's as reclined as it will go rear-facing. He seems to want to be further back (judging by the way he pushes himself down). When he does finally fall asleep, his head doesn't seem slumped at all. 

He usually naps the whole way home from daycare, which is at least a half hour. Now he cries about halfway home and then he only gets 10 or 15 minutes. He wakes right up when I take him out. I've been trying to put him in the pack & play when we get home for a little more nap but I've only been successful twice. Most of the time, he's already awake and then he doesn't want to be in the pack & play but he's too tired to do anything else. When he was in the bucket, he'd sleep the whole way home and then sometimes he'd stay asleep once I brought him in the house if I left him in there. I feel badly because he's miserable and tired and we don't know how to fix it! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Chiclet - if it helps at all, we had this same issue with DS when we switched his carseat. It lasted about a week before he got used to it. Carrying him from the carseat into the house is another story, unfortunately. We've never been able to do that successfully, but have been known to sit in the driveway with him asleep...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I have an outside baby. Ms Jillian was born on St Paddy's day, in the afternoon. Active labor started at 5 am and she was born less than 12 hrs later. I couldn't have an epidural so they gave me IV drugs that just took the edge off the pain but I could still feel every painful contraction. It also made me very sleepy and they had to put an oxygen mask on me because apparently the drugs also make people forget to breathe.  When I started to push her heart rate started to drop so they hooked up an internal monitor on her. They ended up rushing me to the OR because they thought they might have to do a c-section. The doctors had to use foreceps (which DH thought was cool to watch)  and she was born! I think I ended up pushing for about an hour and ended up with a second degree tear but aside from that, everything went well. She was 7lbs, 20 inches long and as of today back up to her birth weight again. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats on the arrival of your daughter Northern!  Such a pretty name!  Glad to hear that you did not have to have a c-section.  Enjoy this time bonding and getting to know your new little bundle!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats Northern! I've been thinking about you! I hope you're healing well!

I think it's time to get DS some shoes. He tries to pull himself up on everything and then he slips and falls. He's covered in bumps and scratches! I had two incident reports from daycare yesterday! I think he'll do better in shoes that give him some traction. I'm having a terrible time finding socks with grippy bottoms in 12-24 months. Anyway, what shoes would you recommend for an almost walking baby? There are so many types!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats, Northern! 

Chiclet, go to a good shoe store (not sure where you're located but I go to Abbott's in North Reading -- they're great) and ask them for help. There is a particular kind of toddler walking shoe that has a really flexible sole, which is better when they're really wobbly and unsure on their feet. DS did great in them until he was about 18 mos or so. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi Chiclet.  For his first shoes, I would recommend going to a Stride Rite and getting his foot measured.  They also have a line of shoes called pre-walker or early-walker or stage 1 (or something like that).  The salesperson will be able to help you find the best shoe for him.  That is what I did for DD1's first shoes and I'll likely do the same for DD2 (which will be soon - she is 10 months today - wow!).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

For first shoes I got DD some toddler sneakers at Payless. Considering the beating kids shoes take and how fast they outgrow them, I could not justify paying $35 at StrideRite. She did not walk outside til she was about 14 months old, and most of her walking was done in the house anyways, so no need for shoes.

I've bought the majority of her shoes at Payless and she loves every pair :)

Several times I looked into those Skidders shoes- they look like socks but have supportive rubber bottoms- but decided against them. They might be good for your DS if they'll be used mostly inside til he gets better at walking.

http://skidders.com/

http://skidders.com/skiddersoriginalshoes.aspx

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yay, Northern!  Congratulations on your little girl.  Hope you're doing okay and getting some rest.

Chiclet, if you only want them for inside the house (or maybe also some outdoor standing), they make these things that are more like socks with a rubber sole.  I see them at Target or wherever all the time.  Something like this:  http://www.target.com/p/toddler-boy-s-skidders-trucks-first-walker-blue/-/A-14449321#prodSlot=medium_1_39

If you want to go with real shoes, I agree with the others to take him to get measured for the first time out, either stride rite or a good independent shoe store.  There is also a stride rite outlet in Watertown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congratulations, Northern! Lovely name. Hope you are all resting and enjoying each other!

Has anyone had experience with a 1.5 year old suddenly freaking out about being put in the crib? For about 6 months, my DS has had a very strict nap and bedtime routine. He's down to 1 nap per day, around 1-1:30ish, we put him in his sleep sack, read a quick story, then put him in the crib, awake. He naps for about 2 hours. Very similar routine at night. Always goes down fine. Suddenly, starting last Friday, he SCREAMS bloody murder from the second he is placed in his crib. Will not lie down. Stands at the rail and screams. Even if one of us sits in the room for him. As far as I can tell, he would scream forever if left in there. The longest we've left him in the crib screaming is 2 hours, at which point we took him out - still screaming. (he's not in there 2 hours by himself, it's with us going in and out or sitting in the room) He is doing this for nap AND bedtime. He is SO TIRED. He will pass out instantly if we take him out of the crib and lie him on a bed. My gut says it's developmental, perhaps he is on the verge of a new skill (he did something similar, but to a lesser degree, just before starting to walk). But we're at our wits end. Last night I had to lie with him from 9pm on because he didn't go right to sleep. I haven't slept in the same bed with my husband since Thursday night.

You'd think with a second child this stuff would be easier, but it's not! Is there a typical sleep disturbance around this age? He's barely eating, so I don't think it's a growth spurt.