May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

Hugh, you got hosed.

My DH is military so we move A LOT.  However, the last move we did we paid for ourselves. It was in DC which is going to be higher than Boston anyway. We paid just over $900 and we had 5 guys and they needed 2 trucks b/c we were on a cul de sac w/ tight streets [basically, they couldn't get a big van in if they wanted to].  That included all the pads, moving tape, etc.  Even considering mark up rates by movers b/c the gov't is paying, you got hosed.  Sorry. We moved from a townhouse to a 4 bedroom house. We have heavy furniture - one piece needed 4 guys to lift it. It took them a good 5 hours to move us, and we were only moving 6 miles away [10 minute drive]. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hugh - I don't think you were overcharged. I moved 6 years ago from Beacon Hill apartment to a 25oo sq. ft. house in the 'burbs and Gentle Giant charged me almost $2,000.
    They were - however - really great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Hugh, you didn't get hosed, that's a standard peak rate (weekend, end of the month) for most movers a close to what DH would charge. 

ALF, you either got a great deal, moved on a mid month week day or they company wasn't insured so they could charge lower rates, but since the move went well I'd say you were lucky!

Poppy, for move day I'd say find someone to care for DD for a few hours to keep her away from the chaos. Pack a comfy chair last and have them take that off the moving truck first. Park yourself in it near the door and direct each box as it comes in (I am working under the assumption you've had stuff in storage for a while and may not have the clearest memory of what's in some boxes). Kar's suggestion to have a floor plan and note where items should go will save you time (and money) and keep you from moving the furniture around after the movers leave. 

OK, now I need to catch up on posts. I'm off for the next four days and so excited!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, that was an amazing deal.  Maybe they gave you a military discount without telling you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I paid the comparable rates w/ Bennys movers in Watertown. They charged me less than $400 to move from MA to Maine. 

We packed everything ourselves [or rather I did b/c DH has never moved himself- the Navy has always done it].  I've seen the bills for our Navy moves, which include the movers coming and packing the house [it generally takes a minimum of 2 days for them to pack everything and move it out, plus another half day on the other end to unload the truck at the new location].  There is inflation b/c the gov't is paying, but sorry, based on what I've seen for prices, Hugh got hosed. 

The company i used was insured, bonded and completely above board.  I did not get a military discount. In fact, when the guys arrived, they were amazed at how organized everything was and commented on it. Once I said we were military and this was not exactly our first move, they said 'ah ha that explains it'. They also said the spreadsheet that I had sent them w/ an inventory was more detailed than they usually get and really helped them give an accurate estimate.  I received quotes for 3 others movers, and they were all comparable, but I went w/ these guys b/c they had great reviews on Yelp.  If you help them help you, you can get more accurate quotes on rates.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

$400 interstate?  Wow!  I, too, had everything packed and organized.  They didn't even need my help, thank God since I couldn't talk or stand up, at the new place putting everything where it went because I had everything labeled and had drawn a detailed floorplan for the furniture.  I don't get how you've found such great rates, but it's awesome and I wish I had!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

For the last Benny's move, I may have gotten a discount from being a repeat customer. I had used them for 2 moves prior to that. 

Our last move was on a Thursday, but it was the week of July 4.  I had to schedule a mid week day b/c we had the issue w/ the streets and I needed to make sure that cars were off the street so they could get down the cul de sac w/ a box truck. The only way to do that was to do it when people were at work b/c our neighbors sure as heck were not going to cooperate w/ us. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That definitely might explain the difference.  I guess the takehome here is that it's worth it to take a day off from work to move instead of hiring anyone on the weekend!  I had no idea. :(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Yea that sounds like a pretty cheap rate.  I mean, either way it was worth it, but I was just curious whether or not I should be recommending them lol!!  We had everything packed up and broken down and actually had them unload 75% of the stuff straight to the new garage to save time (as opposed to having them bring everything up to the rooms).

My 3yo asked me today if we can go home.  Argh.  She says she doesn't like the new house.  I guarantee next week she'll be good to go!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

OMG, why would anyone try to move on the weekend unless you absolutly had no leave time left to take?  I actually had to borrow leave to do it b/c I was new at my job, but moving on the weekend is horriffic, and costs more simply b/c you are going to have to deal w/ traffic delays. 

The MA to Maine price was 5 years ago.  I think what i paid last year was pretty typical based on my research. I still think you paid too much, but they didn't totally gouge you.  My guys take away boxes and stuff  too, so I'm just amazed that that was just load the truck and dump it at the old place. We had them place furniture, take apart and reassemble furniture [beds], and then cart away the packing materials. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for the advice about the move!  It's helping me to calm down.  Luckily, DD can stay where she is (in-laws) while we do all the chaotic moving-in stuff (including painting, carpets, etc).  It might actually be a week of us getting stuff ready before we decide to move her in there.  I really would like to at least finish her room before she's there. I'm starting to feel, with the help of your advice, that it would be ok to assemble her crib in her room, then disassemble it and move it into DS's room when DD is ready for a bed, rather than rush her into a bed now.  I really want her in her own room, as opposed to sleeping in the crib in DS's room until she is ready for a bed.  I think it would be helpful to her to know where HER room is, and to start to feel comfy in there asap.  I was thinking it woudl be a huge pain to have to move the crib out of there and into DS room, however maybe it's worth it just to deal with that when we need to in order to at least have her crib be familiar in a place where so many other things will be unfamiliar.

Hugh - what you paid is about what we think we will be paying, seems reasonable to me when I compare to other moves I've done.  Sorry DD is somewhat pining for the old house!  I'm sure you're right that she'll be all settled in less than a week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy, we aren't moving but i am also struggling to balance my desire to get DD settled into her big girl bed before DD#2 arrives with my strong feeling that DD isn't ready to give up her crib quite yet. Ultimately I decided to keep her in the crib for awhile and just forgo my nesting instict to set up the new baby's room before she arrives. We are totally prepared for the new baby to be in our room in a bassinet for the first several months, and in theory she could sleep in the bassinet/pack n play for even long than that. I think you are smart to transition DD into her new house, new room etc but allow her to keep her crib for a little while. I think you and I are due right around the same time mid August so figure even if she stays in her crib another 5-6 months the baby will only be 3 months old and not needing the crib until then anyway. And, who knows, maybe your dd will be ready for a big kids bed sooner. I actually think that my DD (27 months) would be ok in a bed now but she sleeps so well now that I hate the idea of disrupting it. I also really like having a place to out her where she is safe and (thus far) unable to get herself out out. I figure she will probably be ready to be in a bed before we even need the crib for DD and, if not, we'll cross that bridge when we need to. Our neighbors may have an extra crib that we could borrow if need be, which would be great.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - I watched the delivery people put together our crib and it wasn't that bad.  Definitely a 2 person job, but pretty straightforward!

Our LO is really into "her room" lately.  When people come over, once she's all warmed up to them, she wants to take them to see her room.  She takes them in and raises her arms up and says, "(Name)'s room!!"  I keep telling her she's a lucky girl, with her own room.  (The undercurrent there is that if we have #2 she'll have to share!)
    Soon your DD may have the same room excitement!  :)