May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

I found Irish oatmeal (the kind that takes 35-40 minutes to cook, like rice) to be very helpful too. I've heard great things about brewer's yeast but I haven't tried it. 
    Also, make sure you cut all mint and chamomile out of your diet.  They really reduce lactation. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Omg never knew about mint and chamomile I have one or the other almost every night before bed!! Oops.. Thanks all for the nutrition advice, I am going to call the pedi and see if she recommends a formula or some supplement. I haven't tried fish yet, as I was only giving one new food per week or so and haven't introduced it yet. Also DS eats SO much he can't get enough! Really he seems to keep eating if we give him more, he's never seemed done. DH gave him dinner when I was out the night and was worried he was going to get sick bc he ate so much. I know they say u should just keep offering and they will stop when they are full. He will eat an entire sweet potato, lots of puffs/o's , 3 pieces of broccoli, a meatball, slices of avocado, some chickpeas, sometimes some fruit too. Does that seem like a lot? He shovels it in too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, if he's eating OK and his gums and teeth look alright, I'd assume they are OK.  Very scary, but teeth and gums can't really be seriously damaged without persistent and worsening pain in all my experience.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

arcain- I would not worry an iota about the staining on your pump parts.  What if you tried soaking them with a few drops of bleach even?  And yes, if molecules of sauce got into the milk it wouldnt harm DS.  Not sure how he would get more than that?  BTW, I feel so curious as to how you're doing since we are due date buddies!  Avery will be 2 months on the 11th, and I know you must have just hit the 2 month mark since you went earlier than me (lucky duck!)  Mine was born at 9lb 12oz.  On our home scale she is 13 lbs.  Just wondering how big yours is. I am trying to figure out if she is still soaring off the charts!

Trouble- frozen milk is only good so long in the freezer (its vague as to how long.. depends if its a deep freezer or just in your home freezer but anywhere from 3-6mo).  I would start using that frozen milk instead of refriderated milk.  I would still give fresh pumped milk if you literally just pumped it though and its warm since it will have all the antimicrobial factors intact that they say freezing may (or may not) destroy SOME of.  Why dont you cut out 2 pumping sessions a day and see where that leads you.  As a general rule you should pump as many times as your baby eats, and at roughly the same times.  If he is sleeping through the night, you should be too, etc.  If after a few weeks you want to increase your supply, you can- just add more sessions again.  I have talked with lactation consultants about this for moms in the NICU that are EPing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

poor teeth, IPW!  Hope he's doing all right.

ajuly, that's definitely a respectable quantity of food!  But "they" say that babies are excellent self-regulators who will stop when they're full.  Also, some of those foods (like fruits/vegetables/o's) aren't very filling.  Maybe he needs more of the protein rich foods?  Anyway, "they" say that kids don't learn to overeat unless they are in a cycle of feeling deprived of food so they eat more when they get the chance.  Sounds like you're doing a great job!

Interesting about the time outs... DD (21 months) had scary bad behavior yesterday where she started to run away from me on the sidewalk.  She started to walk away while I was folding the stroller, and usually when I say "stop", she stops, but this time she started to run and laugh.  I grabbed her and carried her in the house, said "no running away.  you stop when I say stop." and then walked away from her for a minute.  Honestly, I had to walk away for a minute because I was so shaken and angry.
    I think her late mobility plus pretty good listening in general has made me too casual.  I'll let her walk next to me on the sidewalk, or if I'm putting stuff in the car someplace relatively quiet, like our driveway, I'll let her stand with her hand on the car and she has always stayed put really well.  But now she is testing limits, plus getting really fast.  I feel like a terrible mom that I even thought this was a fine idea!  I guess I'm wondering at what age people do let their kids walk on the sidewalk, et cetera.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

CT Mum thanks for the helpful pumping advice!  I think I might need to look into different size flanges because if this pain keeps up I will be a very unhappy camper!  

Tomorrow will be interesting as we will be taking our first flight as a family of 4.  The most interesting thing will be finding places to pump in the airport and on the plane!  

Surprised

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Trouble... good luck with your travel!

Medford... it is scary that they can move so quickly.  I only wish my DS would walk on the sidewalk.  He so badly wants to be carried everywhere.  At just under 26lbs... it gets ridiculous.  However, when we get home, I take him out of the car seat and immediately put him down so he walks.  We have a driveway as well that he usually stays in, but I can see him sometimes pushing his truck quickly and fast approaching the street.  You are not a bad parent at all for letting her move around and "test her limits."  Just gotta do your best to be faster than they are... which carrying groceries, a purse and the mail in heals (in my case) can be all but impossible.

How about hand holding when on the sidewalk?  Is she interested and/or good at that?  Even that is tough as they can squirm out of your hand so easily.  But maybe try that as a rule.  I'm going to be one of those crazy hypocrites that thought parents using child leashes were cruel... and I'll have about 5 attached to DS any day now!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know it's a hotly debated topic, but a harness for walking on the sidewalk (or mall, etc) is what my mom did.  My shoulder used to hurt when I'd hold my arm up over my head too long, and the harness left my hands free - something a toddler with a snack and stuffed animal to carry appreciates. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Like many of you, I'm also trying to figure out how to deal with the unacceptable behavior, like hitting (esp in the face) and throwing (again, in the face).  The other day I said, "If you throw things at me, I can't play with you." and walked away, around the corner.  She cried.  I came back and said, "No more throwing." and we resumed our positions and she was fine.  A little while later she threw something at me again and I said, "If you throw, Mama can't play with you and will have to leave.  Do you want me to leave?" and she said, "... No." and stopped throwing.  I'm hoping that will work for a while.  We shall see!  If she's off and running I've never been able to get her to stop when I say stop, but she will at least now get to the end of the driveway, point to the street, and go, "No." because she knows she's not allowed off the sidewalk into the street.  So I felt good about that.

Meanwhile, I see signs of tantrums starting.  Need to get Happiest Toddler or Toddler 411 asap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We've definitely seen lots more mini-tantrums, mostly fueled by frustration, lately.  They seem to come when she's trying to tell us something we don't understand, or when we take her away from something she's enjoying to do something that needs to be done (change a diaper, put on PJs, that kind of thing), but she usually will settle down in a second when we explain what we're doing.  

She likes to "help" in the kitchen, stirring or watching, which has made for a few tantrums (can't help me when I'm cooking chicken on the grill pan, for example), but she seems to be redirected pretty easily (a bowl, a spatula, and a handful of grapes in the bowl, so she can "cook" too).  Climbing is another big thing...likes to climb on the coffee table and stand up...so we take her off, say "no climbing on the table", and move on...sometimes it can take repeating the action 2-3 times before she'll stop testing us. 

Also, the cutest new thing: we say "It's time to go bye-bye now", and she'll go get her jacket and put one sleeve on and say bye-bye...then will touch my coat, saying "mama, bye-bye" and DH's, saying "dada, bye-bye".  I love it!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

As for the timeout debate. I felt they worked with DS when he was younger. now at almost 3.5 they backfire more now. He holds the anger and acts out more after we give him one. So this AM I tried something different when he refused to get dressed-I gave him a huge bear hug. I told him I was going to hug him until he was ready to get dressed. he was totally stunned and chose his pants and put them right on when I let go. This of course was after a morning of me walking away from him acting out. So the no time out, but big bear hug shocked him right into being a little angel! Go figure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trouble - I would definitely look into flange size and/or make sure you are really centering your nipples.  I pumped for 9 months and never had sore nipples - although the most I ever did was 4 times per day during the first month or so back at work.  After that it was 3 times a day for several months.

Ajuly - I have the same concerns about DD self regulating!!  I feel like she would eat and eat and eat.  I usually give her a little something in the morning at home, but then daycare feeds her breakfast an hour later.  I hope she will stop eating if she is full.  They say that breastfed babies are even better at self regulating because they pull off when they're done, but I have this fear that I completely eliminated that benefit by timing how long she ate.  Stupid nipple shield!!  Anyway, we all have things we worry about like that... or at least that's what I tell myself.

Medford - Don't beat yourself up!  I do the same thing with DD.  I sometimes put her down next to the car while I put bags inside, etc.  I know she can't move fast enough to get to the street... But you have inspired me to stop before she gets faster and more devious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Medford- I am pretty causual with DD to about walking next to me.  DH gets freaked out by it but she never once has showed me I cant act that way.   If we are in a parking lot, I always make her hold my hand but if I am putting somthing in the car she usually stays put.   I took DS out of the bucket seat so Now I have to put her brother in first and get him all buckled up.  So I

Ultimately can not watch her while I am doing this.  If we are in a busy place, I do usually make her hold my leg, that way I know she is there and if she let go I could react quick enough.   

Kar- I would never put my kids in one of those harnesses.  I just dont like them but I do see a lot of people use them. 

Tantrums are tough.  DD just about 3 1/2 (I actually cant believe that).  If I tell her to go into her room, she goes and just cries and cries.  She eventually will come out, say she is sorry and resume what she is doing.    Our biggest problem right now is just not listening. I have to say things 20 times or give her some type of threat.   Last week I got a bad report from the babysitter and I was horrified.   Luckily that was the first time she has acted out there but I was so dissapointed with her. 

AFM - DS has the neuro surgeon appt tomorrow.  We have to head into childrens early.  I took away one of his bottles this past weekend so know he just had 3 a day.  He usud to only have 6 ounces in each but I started to put 8 and he took it so that made me feel better about taking one away.   So he has one at morning, before afternoon nap and bedtime.  Then 3 meals a day.  I am still giving her puress but he has been doing really really good at finger foods.  He feeds himself which makes it easier on DH and I.  He will eat everything.  The only thing he made a face about was cream cheese.  I gave him a peice of bagel the other morning and he did not like it. 

DD almost 3 1/2 really nothing to report.   I have to get her signed up for preschool in teh fall but my work schedule might chance so I have to get that figured out in the next few weeks.  I am already behind the 8 ball on this and hope there is still a spot for her.   I really dont know how 2 working parents get there kids to and from school everyday.  Preschool is 9-1 and early drop off is at 8 and pick up at 4.  My hours at work at 8-4.  I know those are specific hours for that preschool but paying for early morning and late pickup is way too much. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

thanks, guys, for making me feel I'm not way crazy for this!  I guess I just have to remember that she's always changing.  She was doing so well with listening that I relaxed, but she's definitely re-testing lately.  Same with the stove knobs, actually.  I've been doing similar to Poppy, removing, no, and walking away.

I am not against the harnesses for kids, but my own preference is to try other things first.  We've had better restaurant behavior lately by talking about what she needs to do and what will happen right before we go in, so maybe I'll try that with walking.

quad, good luck with the appointment!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I was so anti-harness with DD1 but I had to breakdown and buy some for the twins since I'm on my own with 3 kids when I go out.  I haven't had a reason to use them yet but just the idea of having no way to contain/keep close 3 kids was starting to lead to homebound tendencies.  However after this weekend's trip to the Plaza, I need to get DD1, 3.5, some sort of tether to either me or the stroller preferably somewhere I won't run her over as much.  :-)  I'm thinking one of those sort of mom leases where she can hold a handle that is attached to the stroller but gives her a little space to explore too.  She was really good out at the Plaza but there were so many people and a few times she got distracted and turned around and took off in the opposite direction that I was walking in.  I can only imagine how easy it would be to be picking up cup one of the twins tosses out of the stroller and then she is no where to be found.

Quad - When I was little my mom used to watch the neighbor's kids in the morning before school  since they were teachers and went in early.  Maybe you'll be able to find some other family to carpool with or something.  I am blessed with family daycare so schedule changes are only minimally annoying.  DD1 will be going to public preschool next year.  I'm hopeful that she will get the morning hours since that would allow me to do drop off and just be an hour late for work.  DD1 is also driving me nuts with the attitude issues.  She told her aunt "I hate you" the other day and me to "Shut up" this weekend.  Since she isn't around other kids much I'm not sure where it is coming from but I am so not looking forward to the tween years.  My mom just keeps telling me to have the fights over behavior now since they are easier to break at 3 as opposed to 13.  (That was really a paraphrase of my mom's quote.  She said it so much nicer that I did.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - speaking of testing limits, now DD will do something she KNOWS we don't want her to do, and watches us for a reaction.  I'll say, "What does mama say about putting (random object) into your mouth?" and she'll say, "No." and then do it again while maintaining steady eye contact.  I am *trying* not to get mad when this happens, but instead just calmly take the object away.  But it is difficult not to get worked up, and I also have to walk away sometimes and take a few deep breaths.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Time outs have never been really effective around here. And I've tried really hard to do them correctly. I find putting a favortie toy in time out works better for us.
    And I have to say I'm finding age 3 much harder than 2, although I'm sorry to say it.

As for walking on the sidewalk or standing next to the car. I'm super paranoid about this, because with twins you can't leave one while you chase the other.
    So it's babies first in and last out of the car - meaning I put them in the car and then load the groceries out of the carriage. Thank heavens for an attached garage - although if I only have a few bags, I unload the bags and then get them out last.
    I make them hold my hands when we're walking in a parking lot or on the sidewalk - but that's more because I have to keep control - as I said, I can't chase one and leave the other. And now they are too heavy to carry one and chase the other. Most of the time they comply when I tell them to stand by me, but I'm not super confident yet that they will comply 100% of the time. I find it one of the most stressful things about having twins. It only takes a second for an accident to happen - especially the way most lunatics drive in parking lots around here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

misslily and dz, I am always impressed with those who are wrangling twins!

Poppy - I have the opposite problem with that type of limit testing - I have to try not to laugh!  My LO does the exact same thing, but when it's not a safety issue I give her one warning and tell her if she does it again it gets taken away.  She immediately does it again and it gets taken.  But honestly, sometimes it's really funny!  One of the big things lately is she loves to clean, but she will try to shake milk out of her cup so she can clean it up...

It's when it's dangerous that I get really angry.  Plus, there are NO warnings for that, so she gets more mad, too.  If she has had the warning and then does it again to test, she usually only fakes upset because she was just experimenting.

Sometimes my LO is a good listener and tricks me into thinking she is older than she is... I just get scared with the "testing" that she doesn't know which things are non-negotiable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

That's true, it is sometimes funny when it's not dangerous (not so funny when it's putting little rocks in her mouth!).  That's very cute about the milk!  In a way, shes trying to do something good!  DD has this little broom and thinks it's very funny to wave it in the air while making sound effects.  So the broom spends a lot of time behind closed pantry doors.  But I don't get mad about that because it's not particularly dangerous (unless she's near another kid or something).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I also do the 'no with a warning' and then a 'no with remove'.  My DS really likes real forks. He's cool with his plastic spoons, but won't use a plastic fork.  And he eats 5 times better with a real fork... so he now gets one at every meal.  So the other day he was playing drums on the granite counter.  I think I said No banging twice, then final no and away it went.  Major tears, but you are right, he got the warning so the tears didn't last too long.

Luv.. love the bye bye and the jacket.  So cute!  I feel like DS has a new word every day now.  "'pooon" as it turns out is both a spoon or a fork.  But that was new the other day.  When we were reading the alphabet book, he repeated rainbow and zebra after I said them!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Medford...DD does the same thing with her sippy cup.  She's obsessed with cleaning up!  It is hard not to appreciate the effort she's putting into it...fortunately, we've only done it with water so far. 

IPW...I feel like there's a new word every day too.  The other day we were looking through one of her books that has the alphabet on the last page and she looked at it and said "A,B"!  I know it's not reading, yet, but it amazes me how much their brains absorb, especially now that they're starting to be able to show us! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I agree!  Talking is SO awesome, because you get such a window on everything they've been taking in.  My favorite new expression she's been using is "come back soon!" when someone leaves (or when we leave someone).  And we're getting garbled snippets of songs: "rubbah ducktey, ah ba da ONE!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Wait until they are three. Today my DD was playing with her Lego Duplo Zoo set. I built her a tree so the mommy and baby giraffe could "eat". She put the baby giraffe on top of the tree, picked up the mommy giraffe and had it say, "Be careful up there!". So cute!

And I spend a lot of time trying not to laugh when they misbehave...and sometimes trying not to get REALLY MAD. I'm having a hard, hard time with the limit testing these days. DS still climbs things every chance he gets, no matter what I do for punishment.  And yesterday he was running around without pants on - and peed right on his bed. Just stood there and peed. I reallly wanted to scream. It took all the energy I had not to spank him...and I NEVER spank.
    Oh well - this too shall pass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Three is definitely a more challenging age than two, in my opinion. DD alternates between responding to orders with a polite "No thanks, I'm OK" or with whiny screaming, depending on her mood. It has been especially challenging the last couple of weeks, because she is allergic to some sort of pollen/mold whatever - her nose has been stuffy nonstop, and she is constantly rubbing her eyes. I had been giving her benadryl at night when she was really stuffed up, but I don't like feeling like I'm drugging her to get to sleep. This weekend we bought some children's claritin, which helps with the itchy eyes, and loosens, but doesn't eliminate the stuffy nose. But last night she was so restless when I put her down - it was 11pm by the time she was asleep. So this morning she was a bear. It sometimes feels like a no win situation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amy, when my son was three his doctor prescribed the Nasonex spray for his nose for his allergies.  Seven years later it still works great. 

Sections
Shortcuts