May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

AlmostHere - If you get a chance, could you post the recipe link for the lactation cookies?  I have a huge freezer stash (250oz+), but I'm currently a couple of oz shy per day compared to what DS is taking.  And for some reason I feel freezer milk is sub-par.

AFM, The kiddos had their wellness visits today.  

DS is 9 months and 16lbs.  That makes him the 1st percentile for weight.  I think he's the skinniest 9 month old in America.  Oh well, doc isn't worried at all, he's crawling and pulling up on everything and just full of energy!  She just said give him pretty much anything to eat now except the usuals (nuts, eggs, honey, fish).

DS had her 2 year visit and weighed in at 25lbs.  That's up to the 25th percentile!  Woohoo!  She's talking in sentances and did her ABCs for the doc and told her what state we live in.  It was pretty cool.  

All in all a great visit! :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I feel, as an adult, that I am better able to regulate TV time than computer time for myself.  The internet is just so vast, and TV at least has shows of certain lengths so you're aware of the passage of time.
    For DD (21 months), we have only recently started with real TV, but we've been letting her watch Sesame Street music videos on the computer for a while.  I actually like the TV better.  Right now we just use it on an as needed basis.

I feel pretty strongly that limiting foods leads to bad habits and secret eating (at least it did for me!) so I'm going to try to relax a little on TV under the same philosophy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: May Infants and Toddlers:
    Kar - Maybe I will look into the premade ones. I just thought they were insanely expensive when I could easily make them at home. Thanks for the suggestion. Free shipping helps. 
    Posted by AlmostHere08

I meant the ingredients, not the cookies. :)

There are many brands and amounts, but here are a couple of examples.  Not sure if I picked ones that have free shipping, but you can look for others if not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

"She looked at me with a big pouty face and said, "I can't really say that right now."

And THIS from a child with a hearing loss?!?  And she's either just barely 3 years old or going to be 3 years old soon?????

That's incredible languge, lilly, hurrah!  You must be so proud of their progress, it's so exciting!

Are they keeping their hearing aids on more often now, like at playgroup, etc?

And whazzup with DS's potty training?  I read this morning (or whatever morning that was) whereupon you were covered in pee and giving baths to anyone that lived in your house before 8am!  So does he often pee like that or just when he wants attention from you (busy am, you're emptying dishwasher, doing laundry, rushing to get to school, etc.)? That is, at playgroup does he stay dry for real or only because he goes to the potty every 30 minutes?  If he's out at music class, or at the store, or outside, does he stay dry or do you ride him and take him every 30 minutes?

And, yes, he does need to help clean up the pee if he puts it there, now that he's older (NOT for those just barely potty training kids, of course not!)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Just realized that it's been days since I've read any posts. DS night nursing session is 10 min or less now and that was my check blogs/boards time.   DS is nursing in the morning and night and now asks for it for both those times and sometimes when I get home from work, but don't let him nurse then because then there will be no milk for his bedtime feeding. I don't necessarily want to stop nursing (DS 13mon) but wonder how long he is going to keep demanding it and ge very upset if he doesn't get it!  Did anyone have LOs like this that eventually lost interest or have I entered the point of no return...   

DS took a few steps!  When DH told our sitter that he took some steps, she said yah, he did yesterday but didn't want me to feel bad so she didn't tell me at pick up.  I realize we are going to miss things being gone all day.  I am just happy that he took some steps again that night! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hi CT-DC! Yes - I'm thrilled with both of my kids speech. I had them tested in March at 32 months of age and she scored in the 77 percentile and he in the 50th for all kids their age - not just hearing impaired. He's got some pronounciation issues - he fronts a lot of letters. Tar for car, still says "ba" for ball, drops beginning "ess" like snake becomes nake. But when EI ends he'll transition to the SLP at our town preschool and I'm sure he'll keep progressing.
    Aids are still a struggle sometimes. We have days when they wear them all day and days when I turn around after lunch and say, "Where are they...please tell Mama, where did you put them???!!!"
    DD - as you know - trained in about 17 days back in September. DS was having lots of accidents so I pulled back and stopped for a while. I started again, but he was still so accident prone. We went through a phase where he was doing really well if he was naked, but now that has gone out the window. Even naked I'm having trouble getting him to run to the potty. And now that he's older (3 in the middle of July) he says, "No I don't want to use the potty." One of his "accidents" this morning was in the learning tower. I marched him over to the potty and said, "DS, Pee pee goes in the potty." He said, "No - pee pee goes in the tower." AARRGGHH!
    I've thought about a sticker chart - but I'm not sure it will work. My parents are so generous with toys...and my husband too. He lets them choose something little every week when we grocery shop. I can't imagine working towards a reward via stickers will help at all. I never thought I'd be going through this with him.  I'm just hoping that when the weather improves I can take him outside all day with training undies and a potty and he'll get the hang of it without me having to buy a gross of papertowels! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

ajuly,
    My mum nursed me and all my siblings and she always talked about when each of us self-weaned, so I kind of assumed it would happen with DD.  I really enjoyed nursing (especially later, when I was past the point where I needed to pump while at work).  I figured I'd just keep going.
    Then, like you, I started to realize that as DD got older and more like a toddler than an infant the nursing thing was starting to be a control issue.  She started to demand/whine to nurse ALL day during the weekends when I was home, so instead of nursing on demand I had to remind myself to keep it to 2 or 3 feedings (AM, weekday pickup time, and PM).  Then her 1 year molars came in at about 14 months.  She proceeded to use them to play the fun game where she would hold my n1pple (not bite, just hold tightly enough so I couldn't pull away), look up at me, giggle hysterically, and clap when she was done nursing.  Hooray, I'm done eating but you're still here because I"m the boss! ugh haha. 
    So at that point I cut out the afternoon feeding on weekdays and weekends by offering a cup of water and a snack.  Then a few weeks later I cut out the AM feeding by giving her a cup instead.  That one was rough because she's not really a morning person and nursing was the only incentive to get her out of bed for daycare.  At about 15.5 months I cut out the PM feeding and she was weaned.  That one was tougher for me than for her, I think.  It was sad letting it go but it was time for us to do it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

lily, I had my struggles with DD and the potty training.  If you remember, I had her fully trained to pee back over last summer at 2 1/2.  We used a sticker chart then.  I just got her p00p trained a few months ago and used the sticker chart again.   It worked for us, maybe give it a shot?  For every 5 stickers she got something and if she had an accident a sticker came off.  I just took her to the dollar store, or five below to pick something out so it would not break the bank.  Same as you, DH and all her grandparents, especially my parents are overly generous with gifts.    When we go, I try to steer her away from junk because I know she will just use it for a few days and that would be it.  The last time we went she got a hula hoop for a dollar!  I thought that was a great prize.  I liked the $1 price tag too!

AFM...DS was 10 months on Monday.  Still not crawling but def moving around lots and lots and starting to figure out how to pull himself up.  I have a feeling he is just going to walk and never crawl.  He can stand up by himself for a few seconds and cruise around the couch pretty well.   He sleeping has been great.  We put him down about 7 and he sleeps about 12 hours.   EI is coming to the house on Monday to talk to us about the program.  Then they will come back for an evaluation if I feel the need.  I am not sure he needs it but I will go through the motions.  If he does need a little boost with his gross motor skills I rather nip it in the bud now.  He finally started clapping over the weekend and it is sooo cute.  He cracks up when he is doing it which makes me smile even harder. 

DD is the same.  She giving us the 3 year old troubles.  I have been taking a lot of deep breaths.  

This week has been pretty hard on me taking care of the kids.  I WFM 3 days a week and they are with me and DH is at work.  Monday night I had a break down because DH was at work all day and then wanted to golf.  I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT GOLF.  I said fine, but by 6pm I was spend and called him crying to come home.  I hate doing that but I had enough, mommy can you get me this, mommy get me that, mommy i am hungry, I have to go potty, yadda yadda yadda.  It has been a hard week.  Luckily my one outlet, softball started so I get to get out of the house 1 or two nights a week.  Unfortunately, 2 games have already been postponed because of the rain.   Of course the one thing I do is at night and DS is already in bed and DD is on her way so DH gets to relax and watch his hockey.  I also started ready 50 shades of grey and yesterday I was a bad mommy and did a lot of reading.  I cannot put the book down.  I brought my kindle to work so I can get a few chapters in during lunch.  This book is unreal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Quad - I was obsessed with 50 Shades... I agree I couldn't put it down.  I brought mine to work too and found myself shutting my office door a few times during the day just to read a page or two.  I read all three books in 5 days and I'm considering reading them again.  Enjoy your reading time :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: May Infants and Toddlers:
      DS is nursing in the morning and night and now asks for it for both those times and sometimes when I get home from work, but don't let him nurse then because then there will be no milk for his bedtime feeding. I don't necessarily want to stop nursing (DS 13mon) but wonder how long he is going to keep demanding it and ge very upset if he doesn't get it!  Did anyone have LOs like this that eventually lost interest or have I entered the point of no return...    
    Posted by ajuly09

Ajuly - this was our exact situation.  I think you really have to decide for yourself how long you want to stay at it.  For us, I decided I was fine with keeping morning and night, and we did that from 14 months to 20 months old.  Then I started to think I might be done, and I was *very* worried I had passed a point of no return!
    Since then, we have dropped the night nursing but we're still doing AM (21 months old).  I never would have thought the PM one would have gone first!  But she started to seem not as crazed for it at night.  I was teaching so there was always at least one night per week that I wasn't home, and she rejected a cup of milk at that time (since about 15 months old maybe?) but still went to bed with no problems.
    So a few weeks ago, I was out one night, and then the 2nd night we all went to a friend's, put her in her jammies there, and she dozed on the way home.  So when we got home we skipped most of the bedtime routine and I just rocked her and sang for a minute and then she was very happy to get in her crib.  She was nice and tired!
    The 3rd night, DH read her books in her room (we used to read in our room and then nurse in there).  Then I came in and rocked her and she was okay.  The 4th night we did the same but she did ask for it.  I said "how about I sing you a song now instead and then we'll nurse in the morning?"  And she was okay with it!  I was surprised.  :)  Since then she doesn't ask at night.
    I have heard other people having success with mom leaving the house a few nights in a row, a routine change, eating dinner out or picnicking so it's out of the ordinary, and also making sure they're really tired and ready for bed.
    GL!  I'm sure it's different for everybody.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Trouble - Wow!! 250oz! I'm going to build a better supply the next time around. The link to the recipe is below. I'm trying to increase my water intake. I haven't been very good about it. I'm thinking of using the flax and brewer's in a protein shake too. Hopefully that will work out as well.

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346

Kar - oops! That's good to know. Thank you for the links.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No problem, AlmostHere. :)  We live in the boonies (Quabbin area), and my husband has dietary issues that necessitate my cooking everything from scratch with special, hard to find ingredients.  I buy everything like that from amazon for no more money than I would pay if I had somewhere nearby I could shop for this stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks for the advice ladies.  I am cutting out dairy and soy still so that is another reason that it seems like a lot of work to keep Bf. I'd like to go out to eat and order something normal for a change! I can easily distract DS with a meal or a snack when he wants to nurse, just not sure emotionally I am ready to be done (and obv. he isn't either!!) I'll give it another month or two and see how it goes. I get plugged ducts easily so I'd have to wean very gradually when the time comes.  Maybe DH and I should plan a weekend away and that will be the incentive to stop. How romantic would that be if I brought along a pump?   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Twin/Almost & Trouble... I have also made those lactation cookies and they are super yummy.  When I was home on leave, I was taking the Mother's Love More Milk Plus (fenugreek & fennel)... and really didn't notice a difference.  Then I started eating oatmeal for breakfast and noticed a small improvement that allowed me to nurse DD full time and start pumping to build up my frozen stash.  When I went back to work I made a big batch of lactation cookies and would have two every day.  I even added extra flax and yeast ... but I have to say the cookies really didn't make a big difference, and weren't worth the calories (abt 130 cals each).  So that is when I started making oatmeal for breakfast again and added the flax and yeast right to the oatmeal (along with some brown sugar for taste) and that is when I noticed a HUGE difference in how much I was pumping.  Also, because it was my breakfast, it wasn't "extra" calories the way the cookies were.  I usually put 1-2Tbs of flax and 1-2 tsp of yeast into the oatmeal, so I am getting almost as much of those ingredients in every bowl of oatmeal as went into the entire batch of 48 cookies.  I've stopped making the cookies because although they are yummy... I am still trying to work on 15lbs of baby weight.

The yeast I ordered from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/TwinLab-Brewers-Yeast-18-powder/dp/B000EPUPSS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337290737&sr=8-4

I found the ground flax meal in the natural section at Shaw's.  Same aisle as the almond butter, oat flour, etc. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Ok... I have a question... DD is 4 months old now and I think she is starting to test me.  I will be changing her and playing with her and she is happy as a clam... then I put her in her bouncy or with some toys so that I can let the puppies out or start dinner, etc and she starts crying as soon as I walk away.  Some times she gets herself totally worked up and other times she kind of peters out and starts playing with her toys.  How can I "teach" her to not freak out every time I walk away?   Do I just let her cry?  What makes it worse is that DH can't stand listening to her cry.  I have a bit more tolerence, especially when I have stuff to get done that is not safe for me to hold her while doing (like taking food out of the oven) ... but once he is home he really pressures me to not let her cry.  We haven't really started sleep training yet, and quite frankly I'm dreading it not because I feel bad for DD but becuase DH isn't going to deal well with it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Bostongrl - I dreaded sleep training for the same reason, but well before a year it became obvious that DH too was sick of getting up in the middle of the night and was ready to let me call the shots.  Thank goodness!  DD sttn pretty early, but would sometimes wake up every night for a week.  Good luck when/if you are ready :o)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thought i posted this yesterday but it looks like it didn't go through. Almost -- I feel like Go Lacta helped me. The LCs at my bfing support group really recommend it, and I experienced a decent bump in supply when I went on the max dosage. It could've been coincidence, as I went off it several weeks ago (too expensive to keep up indefinitely) and haven't experienced a drop, but others swear by it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

This is random, but does anyone else get songs from their kids' toys stuck in their heads? I'm about to try and go to sleep and all I can hear in my head is this one obnoxious song from DS's bouncy seat. Figures...his swing actually plays good music (seriously, it's weird!) but I'm stuck with this one. I think it's time to start playing more grownup tunes around the house :).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Bostongrl - Thanks for the tips on the oatmeal with flax and brewers yeast.  I am also trying to lose my last few lbs of baby weight, so I'd rather not have extra calories (if I don't need them for the milk).  

So since I'm EPing now for my 9 month old, I really notice even subtle changes in supply.  Not sure if this helps anyone, but even though I'm on the mini pill, I got my period back last week.  That caused a noticable decrease in supply (about 3-4oz per day) as well as my super sore nips!  But it seemed to have just been temporary.  

Has anyone else got their period back while on the minipill?  I was on vacation last week and I wasn't as good at taking it on time, so that might be why, or maybe it was just time.  Taking it on time didn't really matter though because the kids were in the same room as us and that is excellent birth control by itself ;)

Have a great Friday everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Trouble - I was on the mini-pill and my period came back at about 10 months post-partum. I BFed and pumped for DD until she was 14 months, and I noticed a drop when I got my period. It would bounce back after a few days, but it seemed like maybe I lost a little each time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - I get songs stuck in my head all the time!!  "Count a cow and hear a moo..."

A few things I've been meaning to mention/ask...

Does anyone else use A&D diaper cream?  I use that at home and daycare uses Triple Cream (or whatever that expensive stuff is).  Poor DD has had a persistant diaper rash for about 10 days, but doesn't seem to be in pain.  It's because she now naps from 12-2 at daycare and apparently that is her favorite time to go #2 (seriously I can't use the p word??), so she ends up wearing it for a while.  I think the A&D has worked fine until now and the rash may be unavoidable... unless others have found that A&D doesn't work that well?

How on earth do you get your kids to sit still for nail clipping??  DD has only recently been much more squirmy and whiney while I attempt to clip her nails.  I can usually do 2 at a time, so it takes like 3 days lol!!

DD has recently started taking baths in our big ol' bathtub.  DH was doing baths before and would not make the switch for some reason.  She loves to stand up now, but I suppose that is only natural?  (As a side note, I was reading about baths in the pregnancy thread and now feel thoroughly spoiled.  We have a big ol' clawfoot tub and I totally can submerge my whole body.  Almost makes me forget about the fact that it's in an apartment with annoying upstairs neighbors, no closet space... :o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Fram - it may be a yeast diaper rash rather than a regular one... especially if she stays in her #2 diaper.  You might call your pedi's office to describe it over the phone and see if they think it could be something else.  I like A&D to soothe rash but I don't think it is the best barrier as there is no zinc oxide.  Frankly though, even though triple paste is pricey, I don't think it is that fantastic either.  What has worked for my kids is a layer of A&D followed by a layer of regular Desitin until the rash goes away.  Then, maybe ask your daycare provider to use a layer of Desitin as a barrier at the diaper change before naptime preventatively.  Regular Desitin is a lot more zinc oxide than the other brands.  Don't get the creamy version - that is less zinc oxide.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

glopping on the cream before the nap (and the #2!) would definitely help.  Also, if you can give her some air time in the evenings, that was the best thing for us.

boston - I think 4 months is too young to be consciously testing you.  I think she probably just wants you back, but then can either get distracted and settle down, or not.  That said, of course you can't feel bad if you need to get something out of the oven or help the dog!  Sometimes at that age it would help if I put her where she could see and I kept talking and/or singing.

re: music - I know what you mean!  My birthday present from DH last year was a docking station with speakers for the iPod.  I thought it was silly, but it's been fantastic!  Made a playlist for DD with a combo of kids music, plus "grown up" music that she likes, mostly bouncy kind of stuff.  We listen on shuffle all the time, and the balance keeps me sane.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Also a huge fan of Desitin.  Seems to be the only thing that works almost immediately whenever DS has a really bad rash.  I also use the A&D just for soothing rather than healing.

Fram, since DS still takes a morning bottle (his only one of the day), I sit him on my lap for it and sneak his fingers away for clipping.  Sometimes I can also only get 2-3 nails.  Toe nails are even worse with his fidgeting.  Now that his crib is the lowest setting, and I am ridiculously short, I can't reach him.  But sleeping would probably be the most ideal time if that works at all.  

We are still using the smaller baby tub... no idea how DS fits at 26 pounds and almost 36 inches.  But he's terrified of sitting in the big tub.  We sit the smaller tub inside the big tub... so not quite sure why he's so afraid.  Not sure how we're going to make the switch.  But for now, he still technically fits and we are using a lot less water!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Fram, a little hydrocortisone twice a day under the desitin has been my trick whenever she gets really red.  I'll apply it for a day or two, and the rash will disappear.  Get the .5% strength. That was my pedi-s suggestion and it was magic!!  If there are red bumps, it might be yeast, so then you don't use any baby wipes for a couple of days - just warm water - make sure you give baby air, and get some OTC Lotrimin and use that twice a day under the desitin (also my pedi's recommendation).  We went through this a lot when she was teething, so I've become an expert!!

Sections
Shortcuts