May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

Oh, and I'm right there with you with the nails!  She'll sit still for one or two fingers, and then will freak out.  So it takes us 2-3 days for a full manicure, too.  I miss when she used to fall asleep on my chest, since that's when I used to do it!  And toes are the worst...fortunately, they grow more slowly than the fingernails. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks Amy-Lynn for corroborating my theory on AF and breastmilk ;)

Fram, my DD had a persistent rash once and it turned out to be yeast as MM suggested.  I would take her to the doc if it doesn't clear up, and at 10 days it seems like it's not clearing.  The pedi prescribed nystatin and hydrocortizone creams and that eventually cleared it up.  I'd also try to wait until she goes before you or DC puts her down for a nap.  If that's possible...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you all for the suggestions!  Yeast did cross my mind and now I am really wondering.  At this point, the rash is across a smaller area and is red bumps, rather than broken or scabby skin.  Does that sound like yeast?  I will try to get a ped appt on Monday. 

I cannot even tell you how hectic things have been lately.  Mama is worn out!  I mentioned before, I think, that I've been doing pickup which means I am super busy trying to work work work and run out the door to get to daycare... and I never get there by 5:30.  I will probably have to do that for another couple weeks.  Plus I had a doctor's appt last week, had to take a half day today, and probably will have an appt for DD on Monday.  I am sure you can all relate to how crazy life gets sometimes!  My best friend is coming to visit this weekend and I am SO excited!!  I haven't seen her since she came to visit when DD was about a month old.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - Yes.  DH and I used to get the little snippets from her bouncy seat stuck in our head for days.  Now that she's older, it's the songs from the Toddler music channel on Comcast.  We've been going around singing, "Duck!  Rubber duck, duck, rubber duck!" (a song Ernie sings) for the past 2 days.  I can't wait to do exactly what Medford says she does, once we move.  (yes I did mention moving again)

Fram - ugh, nail clipping!  I dread it.  Sometimes TV works, but otherwise it totally depends on DD's mood.  I try to make it REALLY exciting and fascinating by exclaiming, "Look!  We're going to clip... ready?  READY??  WATCH!"  It's exhausting.  I've actually done it when she's asleep a couple of times (she's 18 months) at night when she sometimes falls asleep on my lap during our bedtime routine.  I long for the days I could do it while she nursed! 

bostongrl - I was going to say pretty much exactly what Medford said.  It could be a phase that she'll get over once she realizes you're not actually disappearing.  Hopefully your DH will start to slowly get over that as DD gets older.  My DH was the same way, but now he understands when the crying is something that is fine to stop with comforting, and when it's something that she'll just have to work through (e.g., not being allowed to do something, etc.)  Our first night of sleep training was horrifically hard for both of us, but once we got through it and it actually worked, it helped us think differently about some crying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Fram, I'd definitely avoid using baby wipes over the weekend...they can really irritate the rash. Whether it's yeast or just a regular rash, I HATE seeing them...they always look like they hurt so much!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

for us, for songs... for a while, it was the all together beatles song (he used to love that song in the car before we switched to classical music) and Mahna Mahna song (he likes that one - he will look for my iphone and hold onto to it for that one song and sometimes even try to sing it on occasion). Luckily I can tune out the toy songs and he does not seem to like a lot of those ones as much.

Nail clipping, seems like night time, we can get like one hand (forget the feet, he seems to find it too ticklish)... but usually we do it when he is asleep - if we wait like 20-30 minutes on weekend after he fell asleep for his nap, he would be totally out (although he sleeps in the crib at night, we usually let him sleep on the futon mattress we plopped on the floor for naps since he does not roll off it for naps but has rolled all over the room the one time we thought we could let him sleep on the mattress for the night), or sometimes around the time he needs to wake up (usually in early morning, we let him come and sleep in our bed)... he usually then wakes up after I get one hand or foot done.

When on the futon or our bed, then it is easy access to all hands and feet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Fram - The red bumps are the hallmark of a yeast infection. DD had one a few months back (I thought it was a diaper rash that wouldn't go away, bad mom!) and the pedi said to look for the bumps, that a diaper rash will be more scaley. 

My pedi had me pick up a regular OTC Lotrimin and slather it on DD and it cleared up in a couple of days (looked worse before it got better) - but we used it consistently at each diaper change for 5 days. That and as many "air baths" as you can stand will at least get you through the weekend if you can't get to your pedi.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: May Infants and Toddlers:
    Arcain - I get songs stuck in my head all the time!!  "Count a cow and hear a moo..."
    Posted by framerican51008

Cows and ducks and piggies too . . . counting fun just never ends!
    hahahaha

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I've found A & D ointment works well as a protectorant to keep rashes from occuring but once a bad rash happens the zinc-based stuff (like triple paste or desitin) works better for getting rid of it.  Air time is the best solution, really.

If it is yeast you might need something stronger.

Trouble- I got my period back 6 weeks (yup, 6 weeks!) postpartum, even though I went on the minipill.  I had 5 weeks of lochia and then bam, huge period at 6 week mark.  I also menstruated regularly on the minipill.  I called my doctor at least 3 times freaking out that the periods meant I wasn't being protected from pregnancy but she said not to worry.  I still worried ha. I also spotted frequently (but not heavily) on the minipill, something that I don't do when on the regular pill or even when I was a teenager and wasn't on the pill yet.

Some people don't menstruate at all on the minipill, or at least it's a lot lighter. sigh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think I read that the "barrier" creams (the good ones with zinc oxide) actually make yeast rashes worse because they trap it against the skin.

re: nails.  This has become easier for us now that DD is into "helping" and *really* into routines.  Same song, same place, same level of excitement from me about her good "help".  :)
    Toenails I try and do in her highchair.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

OH gosh, now I am wondering if DS has a yeast rash.  He had a very raw bum this week and my sitter said, it's probably from the tomatoes!  I just gave them to him for the first time as well as strawberries last week.  Oops, two acidic foods in a row.  So I've stopped all acidic foods, but now it has bumps..  

Luvrboy- we used hydrocortisone on DS's eczema when it would get really bad and helped clear it up. The pedi recommended not using it too often as it thins the skin out. So we stopped using it unless we really had to. 

Fram- I just tried to cut DS nails tonight and know exactly what you are talking about.  I did it in the highchair once as he couldn't wriggle away, and put the food to one side so he would grab with the other hand. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I got what I thought was a period 3 days after going on the mini pill (7 weeks postpartum), but I would have been due 2 weeks ago (roughly) and nothing. I was paranoid enough that I took 3 pg tests, so I'm not sure if it was just spotting, if it's back but irregular, or what. I didn't experience any change in supply, so maybe that indicates it was just heavy spotting. Either way, I find myself weirdly paranoid about getting pg again sooner than I want to (no idea why -- it's totally irrational), so I almost wish I did definitely have it back so I could have that monthly confirmation. Medford, I made a similar playlist for DS, although it's all grownup music. He's only 3 months, but i made him both a daytime and a lullabye mix and I play them around the house in the hope that he'll be into some of our music so I won't have to suffer years of only kids' tunes :).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Question for those of you following Weissbluth's methods for sleep: DS has seemed to develop a morning (10-11 or so) and afternoon (3-?) nap routine just this week. He's also been sleeping through the night regularly (though not tonight -- hence my posting at 3:30 a.m. :(). I know Weissbluth recommends 3 naps at this age and gives specific times for them. After being great earlier in the week, DS hasn't napped easily or long the last couple days and has been tired and cranky by later in the day so I'm wondering if I should try some adjustments and/or try to make this into 3 naps. I generally follow the method of watching for tired signs and putting him down drowsy, but I can easily drive myself nuts with trying to follow the book. So I guess I'm generally wondering how closely those of you who've followed this or other methods did follow it? I know..."trust your instincts," but mine don't always offer a lot of help :).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi girls!  I haven't posted in ages but wanted to log on and say hi.  DS is almost 11 months now and soooo much fun.  Just learned to crawl and babbles a ton.  Sleeping much better although still wakes up at 2:30/4:30 for a feeding...hence why I'm awake this early on a Saturday morning.  I am a stay at home mom now which I enjoy very much but doesn't leave me any extra time in front of the computer to keep up with all of you.  I hope everyone is doing well! 

LilSprout and Not-So-Baby-Anymore-Sprout

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - Isn't your DS around 10 weeks or 12 weeks old. Doesn't Weisbluth have a "ceiling" for wakfulness hours? I used to use that as my guide. I think infants aren't supposed to be awake for more than 2 hours or something.

Anyway - I found that a much easier system than checking for drowsy signals.
    Good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Generally, by the time a LO is cranky they are past due for their nap.  Even though they aren't displaying obvious signs of needing a nap before you put them down, if they need one they'll fall asleep if given the opportunity especially at that age.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Sprout, sounds like such a fun age! Awesome that you're able to be a SAHM , too. I'm doing the same thing right now and loving it. Misslily, he's 13 weeks. I do watch the clock for the 2 hour window, but DS won't go down unless he's a little drowsy -- I've tried -- and he often exceeds the 2 hours, especially midday. Anyway, I think we're figuring it out bit by bit but I just figured it was worth seeing what worked for others. I'll see if sticking to the 2 hour thing makes a difference. Thanks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Well don't forget - the 2 hours is the ceiling - sometimes if they get overtired they have a hard time getting to sleep. You need to start naptime routine before the 2 hours is up so hopefully he's asleep at the 2 hour mark.
    It sounds crazy - but the "sleep begets sleep" thing really worked for us. When my kids have trouble going down I always go with an earlier bedtime rather than the idea that letting them stay awake longer is going to help.

FWIW - my kids were taking 4 naps at that age. I spent a lot of time hauling them up and down the stairs at 16 weeks when my friend said, "no more napping in the living room. Time for all sleep to happen in their cribs!" It's supposed to help with sleep training.
    When you have twins it sure helps get the baby weight off. I counted one day between naps upstairs and laundry in the basement I did 30 flights of stairs! All of it carrying either a kid or a basket of clothes...and people wonder why new moms are so tired! :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Arcain, just my opinion, but I would never follow any guidelines for a baby as young as ours.  I was pretty anal about all the naps and nursing sessions that my first daughter had but it takes quite awhile before there is (or should be) any pattern to their naps. I think the best sleep book I ever read (and came highly recommended) is Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution.  Our babies are a little young for it right now like I said, but it gives you a great idea of how much sleep in a 24 hour period is normal all the way up through toddler years.  Now that I have a 2nd daughter I am so different as a mom.  DD sleeps when she needs to as I have to tote her around for preschool pick up, etc.  Basically if she's fussy and she's already nursed and has a clean diaper I know that she is sleepy and I'll try to get her to sleep.  Or, she'll fall asleep nursing and then I let her sleep.  I mean, you can't make a kid sleep.  Also a bad idea to wake up a baby because they're not napping on the right schedule.  What I did with #1 was to record every day when she slept.  Then, when I saw a pattern, I used that as a "guide".. as in, uh oh we're out shopping and its almost the time she naps. I better get her home so she can have a real nap and not be woken up with a carseat transition, etc.  Although, thats why first born children are often spoiled and need certain sleep environments for life! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Sprout!

Medford - Clipping toenails in the high chair was a great idea!  I only got one foot done, but I'll take it.  Please tell me I am not the only one who gave up on keeping track of the clippings a long time ago!  The vaccuum is my friend.

Arcain - I could be wrong, but I don't think Weissbluth recommends certain times at that age?  If he does, I ignored him :o)  I focused on putting the baby down for her next nap after 2 hours of wakefullness.  For a LONG time, she wasn't on a set schedule because everything depended on what time she woke up.  But at least I could look at the day ahead and think, OK she'll go down for a nap around 8, wake up around 9, go down again around 11...

AFM - I couldn't get DD to the pedi, but the nurse thought it sounded like yeast, so she called in a prescription.  Looks a little better already after 3 applications.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

The 2 hour rule seems to be working well for us, though, man, it's inconvenient for making plans! I really want to go to a Baby Boot Camp class tomorrow and I'm trying to talk myself out of feeling guilty that it'll probably fall during a time DS would be napping. Anyway, Misslily, you're totally right about sleep begetting sleep. DS took 4 naps yesterday (unfortunately slept through most of a friend's visit) and we got as good if not better sleep out of him than normal overnight. I am counting my blessings for sure. Just 3 months old yesterday and sleeping through the night basically every night AND now napping? I bet my next kid's going to be an awful sleeper :). Hugh, I do remind myself when I get too anal about providing just the right environment for napping that anyone with more than 1 kid doesn't have that luxury at all and those kids are just fine. I'll have to loosen up when we got to Florida in a couple weeks anyway. Btw, how are you and the kiddos doing? Hard to believe its been almos 3 mos, right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Babies grow (especially with respect to brain development) the most while they are asleep.  It's inconvenient, but the 4 nap per day phase is pretty short.  Hang in there. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Glad the "two hour" rule is working.
    FWIW I hardly got out of the house at all unless I had a sitter. I really wanted them to establish good sleep habits. It's hard with twins to synchronize the sleep patterns so it was easier to just stay home.
    As Kargiver said, it's a short phase. You will get to the point where he sleeps at 10 and 2 (or 9 and one in my case) and then you can start making more plans.
    Hang in there!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: May Infants and Toddlers:
    Please tell me I am not the only one who gave up on keeping track of the clippings a long time ago!  The vaccuum is my friend.
    Posted by framerican51008

ha ha...  a couple of months ago DH saw me clipping on our bed and asked where the clippings were going.  I won't tell you my reply, but he laughed and never asked again.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I am the same with the nail clippings. I cut both kids fingers and toes anywhere I can.  They will eventually be vacuumed up.

Sections
Shortcuts