May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

Lol!  Thank goodness for you girls!  I needed a laugh.  Daycare sent DD home early yesterday with a fever.  Took her to the dr fully prepared for our first ear infection, only to find out she has pneumonia.  She's been on a neb for months, so I never thought to connect the cough and fever.  Ugh!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

poppy - she does use the sippy only now but the teacher holds it like a bottle (she started to reject the bottle so we had to find something else for him to use), and we got the soft tommie tippies - so she would alternate between chewing on it like a teether and drinking. Those, liquids flow very easily so it transitioned well from bottle. However, she does not hold or tilt it herself as far as I know (at home, she just nurses - she won't even eat much solids if I am in the same room, before she fusses for nursing - she is not going to wean easily especially as I have seen her give DS the stink eye with one eye while she nurses and he gets into what she sees as her space with me)

Dentist - DS saw the pediatric dentist starting at 1 year old. They did not put him into a chair, they just talked to him, and then he would sit in my lap and head in the dentist's lap so his mouth would naturally fall open, and she was able to examine his teeth - he did not fuss (they have a squeaky toy they use and one sang songs he knew). They showed us some tricks for home... lying down with his head towards us as we sit on the floor works best even now, and singing the ABC song. We did all kinds of things like "Open your mouth like a lion", and brushing his animal/trains' teeth before his...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Just catching up... so many great updates, and many timely topics!!  We are also thinking about a new car, moving, and so many of these other things.

I have been reading really conflicting reports on the fluoride toothpaste issue lately.  Most of the "new" reports I've been seeing say that a thin smear of fluoride toothpaste is a good thing.  But we have still been using the fluoride-free (Kiss My Face brand).  But I think the next tube will be a kids fluoride one.  But I'm with you that DD (2y9mo) doesn't really spit - she just leans over the sink and yells "PUH!"  :)

DS arrived almost 2 weeks ago!  He's a little snuggle bug.  So far, he's making my life easy by being a great bf-er from the get go.  Not having to worry about latching, supplementing with formula, how to hold him, et cetera - all the things that consumed the first couple of weeks with DD - these things being out of the picture makes these newborn days SO much smoother.

DD is another story... she is very sweet with her baby brother, but the second week has been hard for her/me.  I am having a hard time dealing with her strong emotions - when she gets upset, my hormones and fears all kick in and I get upset, too.  And some of the things she says are pretty heart breaking - the other day she was playing with DH (who is going back to work soon) and said to him, "You're really sad.  I'm going to work now.  I'm at work now and there's no one to take care of you."  :(  Even though that's sad, I like that she's talking about her feelings.  The part I'm more worried about is that I see her almost starting to cry and then she grabs her mouth with her hand and holds it in -- when I ask her what's wrong, she says, "nothing!!!" in an annoyed teenager voice.  I would much rather she let it out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Med - Congratulations!! So glad to hear that everything is going well with DS so far. I wish I had advice regarding DD, but it sounds pretty normal from what I've heard of siblings' reactions to new babies. Sounds like you're doing all the right things by encouraging her to talk about her feelings. In terms of your own emotions, just remind yourself how early it still is. You are just beginning to adjust to the new reality, and it's okay for all of you to be struggling with your feelings about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hey Med, Congrats on #2!  So happy for you that he's being such a good boy.  Amazing how the things that are so challenging with the first baby are so easy with the second...and new challenges emerge!  Regarding your dd, i think it's amazing she is able to articulate her feeligns/fears like she is doing. She's just been through a huge life change and it would make sense that she be feeling unsure and not have the skills to know how to process her feelings.  We had similar issues with DD1 when her baby sister was born.  What we did that (I think) helped was to try to find a time each day for just me and the big sister to do something (even if it was something small like take a walk or her help me make dinner etc.).  For a few weeks she decided she liked showering with me and that was our special time - thankfully for my privacy's sake she has decided she no longer likes showering with me - but the point is that it doesn't have to be anything fancy or out of the ordinary, just that you would be spending time together.  I know it's hard when the baby is nursng and not on a schedule yet so just do your best. 

As for dentist, I have been procrastinating DD's first appointment at age 3 because she still uses a pacifier at night and I know that I'm going to get in trouble! Bad mommy. Ok, I vow to make her an appointment later today...hold me to it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford... your description is funny because that is EXACTLY what DS does... "PUH!" for him making a spitting sound... but not actually spitting.  I am so thrilled that your new DS is easy and it must be hard to hear your DD's thoughts out loud like that.  She is still so young, and I'm sure in no time at all will feel much better about the new situation.  My son is so jealous of his mama, I am dreading what it will be like bringing home #2.  I'm going to really make sure to take Rama's advice and do at least one thing a day with DS, even if just very small.  The good thing is DS's also starting to really become obsessed with his Dada.  Mainly because Dad has a tractor and tools, and (oddly enough) a shop vac vaccum that really impresses him.  So I'm hopeful that DH can also play a big role in the transition later this year for us.

I hope this is not prying.. but may I ask how your DS is doing with his health?  I remember reading about some irregular u/s results you had gotten earlier in your pregnancy and I've been thinking about him and you ever since reading your birth annoucement?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

CT-DC: Thanks so much for your thoughts on my DS's bad behaviour.  I know there has to be a reason for it, but I really can't figure it out.  Maybe I should write down the times he tends to do it more and that might correlate to tired/hungry.  It really does seem like we're just chilling out and all of a sudden I hear him say, "push" followed up by a physical push.  His older sister does provoke him sometimes, but not always, and he's gotten so bad that she easily gives in to him and gives up what she's doing.  At only 15 months ages difference, he's actually stronger than she is.  

Kar: I'm sure your girlfriend knows this, but I just want to say that she's so lucky to have such a great friend in you!  I wish I had a friend like you too!  

Med: Absolutely heartwrenching to hear your DD say that!  I even want to tear up and I don't have any baby blues.  You all will get through it.  Spending individual quality time with each child is a great suggestion.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Couple of pacifier questions: DS (11 months) didn't care for his pacifier much until recently.  When he was a newborn he actually hated it but now he seems to like it.  I limit it to his crib and the car as much as possible.  (1) When did you take the pacifier away?  (2) Did you wish you did it earlier or later for any reason?  and (3) In what method did you take it away? 

My mom took ours away on our first birthday and said it wasn't a problem.  I'm considering doing the same because I've seen the battles our friends have with their 2-4 year olds trying to get rid of it and wonder if it's easier to do now rather than when they are more aware.  My main concern is it really does soothe him in the car which can be pretty handy with our 20-30 minute ride to daycare in the morning.  As for night time he could pretty much care less about it when he goes to bed at night but he likes it in the morning when he's playing in his crib while I get ready.  Would love to hear what worked for your family.

And one general PSA for those that buy baby food, BRU is doing a 10 for $10 sale today and tomorrow.  Just thought I would throw it out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

My son is so jealous of his mama, I am dreading what it will be like bringing home #2. 

If he's not used to it already, teach him how to entertain himself for a few minutes without you while you do something else.  You don't want his first experience of waiting for Mom to be because of #2 because then he will resent #2 for taking Mommy away.  Better to have him fuss about waiting for you to finish the dishes than about feeding the baby, and he's unlikely to act jealous of the dishes.

Besides, even without #2 they need to get used to not having hot and cold running Mommy sooner or later.

As for pacifiers, at some point what the pacifier is soothing is the upset over the lack of pacifier.  I've watched a four and a half year old go absolutely berzerk over not having hers and it's not a pretty sight.  Two ways to go:  Pick a date and have HIM throw them out.  Or as his stash of pacifiers gets grungy, throw them out until there aren't any more left.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

Couple of pacifier questions: DS (11 months) didn't care for his pacifier much until recently.  When he was a newborn he actually hated it but now he seems to like it.  I limit it to his crib and the car as much as possible.  (1) When did you take the pacifier away?  (2) Did you wish you did it earlier or later for any reason?  and (3) In what method did you take it away? 

My mom took ours away on our first birthday and said it wasn't a problem.  I'm considering doing the same because I've seen the battles our friends have with their 2-4 year olds trying to get rid of it and wonder if it's easier to do now rather than when they are more aware.  My main concern is it really does soothe him in the car which can be pretty handy with our 20-30 minute ride to daycare in the morning.  As for night time he could pretty much care less about it when he goes to bed at night but he likes it in the morning when he's playing in his crib while I get ready.  Would love to hear what worked for your family.

And one general PSA for those that buy baby food, BRU is doing a 10 for $10 sale today and tomorrow.  Just thought I would throw it out there.

We actually chose to get rid of it when DD was 5 months. It's young I know, but there was a couple weeks of horrid, horrid nights of constant wake ups hour after hour when it fell out, and no one in our house was getting enough sleep, not even the dog. I was never a huge fan of them to begin with, and was glad for it to go but dreaded the process.

We went pretty much cold turkey at nighttime...put her to bed like normal but once she realized she didn't have it, she cried for about 40 minutes. Next night was far less and that was pretty much it. She only ever had it when napping or sleeping though (never when awake & playing).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In response to rama8677's comment:

Lissa, can you explain a little more about your DD's schedule for drinking bmilk/bottle?  My DD is 9 months and I am in the process of weaning her (mainly because my DH and I are going on a kid-free trip at the beginning of June, (HOORAY!) and I don't really want to be pumping 5x/day)  I've gotten her down to nursing upon wakeup, nursing 1x during the day (around 2:00 and that ispumping if I am at work) and before bed.  I offer her bottles two other times a day, and she drinks 2-4 oz from each.   I am worried she's not getting enough but it sounds like maybe it's about the same as your dd?

ETA: My DD eats a ton of solid foods during the day, of course!

Rama,

I haven't supplemented with formula at all, so anything she has gotten has been pumped breastmilk.  DD REALLY loves solid food and has kind of led me towards not sending as much milk at daycare.  At around 9 months I had been sending two 6 ounce bottles and she wasn't really drinking all of it by the time I picked her up.  I switched at that point to one 8 ounce bottle and now I"m sending one 5 ounce bottle (sometimes there's only 4 ounces or so in it).  She drinks from a sippy cup very well and they give her water with every meal.  She gets her one bottle right before her morning nap at daycare. 

At home on the weekends, I don't usually nurse her before her nap, I just stick her in the crib and she goes to sleep.  This actually is leading to my supply decreasing for pumping at work.  She's almost a year, so once the pumping at work stops being productive I'm going to stop sending milk to daycare. With my older daughter, I nursed a lot more when I was home because she knew it was an option and would ask for milk.  Younger daughter seems to prefer solid food.  She really likes to nurse in the morning but other than that she doesn't much.  Even her bedtime nursing session is kind of lackadaisacal.  It seems like she's humoring me.

Anyway, she nurses for at least an hour, sometimes an hour and a half, in the morning.  She usually wakes around 4:30 but sometimes she wakes around 4 (usually if her teeth are bothering her).  I have to start getting ready for work at 5:30 so whether she wants to stop or not, when the alarm goes off we're done. If she's still fussy I give her a cup and some cheerios and she settles down. I think when it's time to wean off the morning feeding I'll just go straight to the cup and cereal.  At school she gets her one bottle around 9AM. Then when I pick her up aroun 3:30 or 4 she nurses when we get home, mostly for comfort and snuggles.  Then she nurses again at around 6ish, sometimes 6:30ish, but not for long, then goes to sleep. 

If she's home on the weekend she nurses upon waking, same as the days I work, but doesn't get more milk from me until 2 or 3 ish (when she usually asks for it, upon waking from her second nap) and she usually doesn't nurse for very long.

I will say that this schedule only works because it's what she wants.  My older daughter got a LOT more of her calories from nursing at this age.  I was pumping more and my supply was greater because she was nursing more.  She also was still shaky about sleeping through the night so she was still nursing at least 6 times over the course of 24 hours.  I was sending a lot more milk to daycare too. So whether or not you succeed in totally weaning will depend on the cooperation of the baby.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

PurpleCow, thanks for that advice.  Its good to hear someone else say that as that is actually how I parent DS now.  I'm an only child raised by two very full time working parents, and I had to play a lot on my own.  And I really appreciate that today.  I love being in groups, but I also really like some alone time.  And I'd really love for DS to feel the same.  So there are many times he has to wait for something he asks for, or play by himself (not for hours of course, but 15-20 minutes, and its great to see his creativity bloom).  The jealousy I refer to is my inability to hold anyone else's baby or child.  He panics.  Comes running over saying "my mama" and wants to be held too.  I'm guessing because that will be a daily occurance for him once the new one arrives, he'll get used to it and he and I will still have lots of snuggle time too. 

Paci - we got rid of paci daytime around 1 year.  I don't recall it being a battle, and DS (now 2.5) did really like it in the car.  One day we just didn't have it, and never looked back.  He used it for naps and nighttime until about 2 months ago (home only... daycare we removed at 1 year also because it was just getting gross in his cubby).  I can imagine some kids can really have tantrums about it, but because DS is older, we were able to explain why it had to go away.  And he's super verbal so he understood (we used the explanation that the babies need them and we "shipped" them away in our mailbox). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Nov-sorry to hear about DD-hope she feels better soon! DD had pneumonia at 6 mo-no fun! thankfully a few days on the antibiotics and she was back to herself. Now you know the difference between fever panting to cool and trouble breathing panting-similar but different at the same time.

Paci-with DS he had a horrible sleep spell at 19 mo and the paci was not soothing him at all so I just cold turkey took it away from him. Never saw any difference.  with DD she still has one for the car and night time and naps. Once she's done with teething (she's a horrible teether) and goes forward facing in the car, we'll get rid of the paci's all together. She does not use a paci at school for naps, so I know it will be okay-prob a rough day or two then she'll be fine. In the car when she's tryign to talk to me, I do have to tell her to take the paci out and then tell me, so she does then pops it right back in. That's the worst-watching a child talking through their paci. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of them! infact I may get rid of them sooner if her 2nd year molars don't come through soon-they're starting to fall a part slowly...and I'm not buying any more!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

IPW - if your DS has a hard time with you holding another baby - then you definitely want to be sure that he meets your new baby while you are in the hospital and not for the first time when it is in "his" house. We made sure that DS came and visit both days and meet the baby (and get used to his mama nursing the baby while in the hospital - and saying "our baby" so to include him in the "our"). So when DD came home, he already knew who she was and seen her with his mama and dada. It does not stop the rivalry between them, as mild as it is right now, but it does allow him to adjust to the idea while you are in the hospital and since we kept his daily schedule (so to his daycare during the week as usual) and for a long while, in the mornings, after DD nursed, and DS was waking up, I would take him to the glider and just rock with him for 15-20 minutes while DH held the baby - for him, it was a way to reassure himself that even with the baby in the house, he can still get his long cuddles from me.

Now with DD at 8 months, it is a very different story.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks for the advice on siblings, all!  It's definitely a little heart wrenching, but also so normal.  It's actually getting a little easier for me to do one on one time with her now that her interest in the baby is waning a little.  Last week she wanted to always check on him.  And I agree with you, IPW, it's good to be able to play by yourself.  She already has lots of practice in waiting because Mommy is doing something.  :)

Also, thanks for asking about DS and the prenatal health concerns.  He seems to be fine, which is amazing.  From the finding we had at 12 weeks pg (cystic hygroma), they gave us a 10-15% chance of a successful pregnancy with a healthy baby.  We had already ruled out a bunch of stuff through genetic testing and things like a fetal echocardiogram, so we knew we were more likely to be in the successful/healthy camp (closer to 80% chance with the other things ruled out), but it was still nerve wracking.  After he was born they tested a bunch of stuff like the echo, which was fine, and we have one more "special" appointment with a geneticist to review a few of the less well understood syndromes, but so far neither the pediatrician nor the special care doctor (neonatologist?) at the hospital think there is cause for alarm based on physical signs.  Everything seems to have happened so quickly that sometimes I forget all this and then it takes my breath away that we are so fortunate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Phew Med.. SUCH great news!  Thanks for the update :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Med - Congrats on a healthy baby!

Regarding the dentist/toothpaste questions, we used the fluoride free kids toothpaste for a long time, until DD started getting the hang of really spitting, which was around 3 YO. At 4.5, we still have to remind her from time to time if she starts sucking on the toothbrush, but she has usually already spit at least once by that point. She had her first dental "checkup" around two, but it was with the same hygenist DH and I see. I had asked when DD was about 1 what they recommended, and our hygenist said that they usually don't see kids much before 2, but to bring DD with me at my next checkup, so she could see what the dentists office is all about (for that one, when she was ~18 months, I had DH come and sit with her, but our appointment was really early, so it didn't disrupt our day too much). DD also went once or twice with DH just to watch, as well. At her first official visit, she got to ride in the chair, had her teeth counted twice, once by the hygenist and once by the dentist, and the hygenist used the "tooth tickler" (polisher) to tickle her teeth. She did use a bit of the dental polish/paste, but I don't know if she was able to get all of DD teeth or not, she did it really fast. But our hygenist was great about explaining what everything was, and letting DD do what she was comfortable with. They played with the suction thing, but DD wasn't keen on the idea of putting it in her mouth (she loved sucking up water from a cup, though) so the hygenist didn't push it, although now, after a few visits DD is OK with it in her mouth. We still haven't had any X-rays for DD, I'm not sure when they will start with that, but I'm not in any rush if they haven't spotted any problems.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Toothbrushing - my almost 4 year olds are horrible brushers - it is a fight every night. And we didn't do flouride toothpaste until they were 3 because they are bad at spitting. Despite all these set backs we've had no cavities at our dental appointments. I do give them tap water to drink, which, in our town, has flouride. I also limit sticky candy like gummies and lolipops. I'm always super afraid because having read two articles about kids having MAJOR dental work at age 3 or 4, I worry. But we seem to be doing fine even with the battles

Minivans - I need something that holds the twins plus my dad, DH and me (five people total) so we're trading in DH's RAV4 - he's getting my Outback (which I love) and we're getting an AWD Toyota Sienna. A few of my friends have them and i'd LOVE to have those sliding doors in crowded parking lots. Didn't want to get a minivan - but I don't want the BIG SUV's (too big and too $$$) so this is the best solution. Everyone tells me I'll need one by the time they get to Kindergarten for calpools etc. anyway.

Mom jeans - get "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" at Nordstrom.com or zappos.com. Super comfy (little bit of spandax in there) not too low rise - but not old fashioned and dumpy either. LOVE mine. They run big - so don't be afraid to order a size down from normal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Med - congrats!! How exciting for you and your family. I wish you all the best.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Med - Congrats on DS!  Its an exciting time for your family even thought DD doesnt quite understand!  Good Luck!

I am also concerned about DS and the binky.  He LOVES that thing!  He is ok with out it but if he sees it he'll go and get it.  He would have it in his mouth all day if possible.  Last night, for instance, he threw his binky out of his crib (new thing he does) and wined for a while.  I went in and gave it to him and he went right to sleep.  So I can see getting rid of the binky being a real problem for us :(

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations Med - so happy for you and your family!

My BF/weaning experience was that since I gradually dropped pumping, weaning was no problem whatsoever in terms of pain or leaking.  (It also wasn't a problem for DD for that matter.)  I started off pumping 3x during the day and before bed, but then switched to only 2x, and by probably 10 months was only pumping 1x at work.  DD would get 3 6-oz bottles at daycare and BF in the morning and before bed, but at 6 months we started supplementing.  I started her at daycare w/ 3.5 oz bottles, but within a matter of weeks daycare had asked to push it all the way up to 6-oz.  Looking back, I don't think she needed that much... and I definitely couldn't keep up!  At 6 months, she started getting 1 bottle of formula and at 9 months she often got 2 bottles of formula.  At 12 months, I stopped pumping and at 14 stopped the bed time feeding.  Relatively speaking, I don't think we did a lot of solids.  I tend to move slowly, which isn't to say there is anything wrong whatsoever with feeding more solids.

I've been procrastinating setting up a dentist appointment for DD.  I'm not concerned, but meant to do it by the time she was 2.  Our medical insurance covers cleanings up until a certain age, but apparently the trick is to find a dentist who will accept medical insurance.  Wish me luck!

DD has been a BEAR at bedtime since Sunday night.  Tuesday night I let her CIO, which felt really weird to do to a 26 month old.  She cried for 40 minutes and then fell asleep.  Last night, she cried for about 5 minutes, so I'm hoping we're at the end of this phase.  I don't think she's teething.  Could it be some kind of growth spurt?  Either that or it's some kind of separation anxiety because she loves mama sooooo much :o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Med-my DD is just now adjusting to being a big sister, and DS is almost 4 weeks. I would say that weeks 1-3 were the hardest with a lot of crying, tantrums, and her being mad at me. It is getting better now though, as I think she is adjusting to the baby.

I still get overwhelmed with managing the two kids even though DD is going to daycare 2x per week and we have a lot of help from family. I also get anxiety as nighttime approaches because I never know what kind of night I will have with the baby. I find it really hard to deal with two kids when I am exhausted. Anyone have any tips? My biggest sleep issue with DS is that he sometimes can't be put down to sleep and will just cry when I put him down. So I often have to hold him at some point during the night to get him to sleep (or during the day).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford – so happy to hear your update and that DS is giving you such an easy time with nursing! And awesome that he is healthy!! Thrilled for you.  Like you, DD and I went through a couple of weeks of adjustment to our relationship when DS came home. It balances out, everyone finds their groove, but it might take a little time. DD would get so mad at me that I was not immediately available to her all the time. The one great thing that came out of it was she became much closer to DH. Prior to DS, DD was definitely a mommy’s girl. She still is to a certain extent, but she learned that she can go to daddy for attention and fun when mommy’s busy. About your DD holding in her feelings, it amazes me how even at this age they figure out how to try to control their emotions. You’d think they’d be little enough that the feelings would just come flooding out. Maybe if she doesn’t want to talk about them right then she’d talk with you later, alone, about how she might have been feeling. Or to DH, or someone. Alone time ABSOLUTELY helped DD and I get back to normal. Oh, and it’s so cute that DD wants to check on the baby. That also happens in our house. If he’s waking from a nap, DD will put her hand out. “Mama. You stay here. I go check on Gavin. I be right. back.”

Sounds like many of you have had positive dentist experiences, great to know. I actually think DD would enjoy the attention if they weren’t trying to force her to do anything the first visit(s).

Lissa – I’m not sure if you’ve mentioned before about your 4-5:30 morning feed, but I commend you for nursing for 1.5 hours! Do you fall asleep?? I think I would!

Cwag – thanks for the sippy info. Too funny about your DD. I guess you are her territory!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Memes – You sound like me when we brought DS home. We had family help, put DD in daycare twice per week, but I was still completely overwhelmed. I can tell you it definitely gets easier!! Re: the sleep, I know folks on these boards have used various methods to get babies to sleep if they won’t sleep in their crib/bassinet. For us, DS slept in his bouncy chair and/or carseat a lot those first few months, because of some reflux/spitting up. I was terrified of holding him at night for fear I’d fall asleep and drop him.

The best advice I can give you for easing the anxiety about nighttime (I actually still have it sometimes and DS is 9 months today!) aside from saying “sleep when the baby sleeps” (which is not often helpful advice) is to try to set something up to look forward to if DS is fussy during the night. That probably sounds weird, but it REALLY helped me to have something on the DVR to put on if I had to pace with DS or hold him, or feed him multiple times. Either I’d go down to the family room, or I’d ask DH to sleep in the spare room so I could have DS in our bedroom and not worry about keeping DH awake either with a crying baby or with the TV on. For me, being alone in the dark with a fussy baby was a clear route to madness. I needed a light or TV on so that I wasn’t obsessing over the fact that it was 2am and the rest of the world was sleeping. I would also tend to post on facebook because it helped me feel less alone! It’s interesting how many people are also up at odd hours of the night. Again, probably sounds weird but I really feel like that helped keep me sane. I would have a cheering section at 2am from my friends on the west coast, or whomever was awake. Also, I very heavily relied on DH to take care of DD during those first couple of months. He did almost all of her bedtimes, etc. I tried to carve out alone time with her every day, but like you, I could not easily care for both kids at first. This is turning into a novel and I’ll stop writing soon, but the other thing that helped me learn to take care of both kids at the same time was to get out of the house. Not sure if this is true for everyone, but I found it so much easier to keep both kids happy when we were out somewhere. For some reason being in the house brought out DD’s whiny side. If I could throw DS in a sling or the stroller and take DD to the playground, she was happy, I was happy, and usually I could get DS happy. I would often nurse him in the car with DD eating a snack, strapped into her carseat, listening to her music. Anyway, it does get easier!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

My first went through a phase of being wide awake at around 2 or 3 am, for an hour to an hour and a half.  She didn't want anything, she was perfectly happy sitting in the swing watching me, she just could not fall asleep and didn't want the light off.

I would sit with a cup of tea and a book or crossword puzzle, maybe fold some laundry if I felt ambitious...it actually was a nice break once I got used to it! 

Sections
Shortcuts