May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

Poppy - I feel for you!  Setting limits at night is hard.  Our DD also likes to add the emotional trauma/guilt factor!  Hang in there.

DS is a chunk of baby!  11 pounds at his one month this week.  Makes sense given how much of the day I spend feeding him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy, I second (or third) the setting limits with clear indications of when that time is up.  I do the same with DS when we rock before bed.  He has a music machine also and I say we'll rock and sing for 2 songs.  If he asks, which is very rare, he will say "one more song" and that is fine because then he feels its a real treat.  I find myself saying things like "5 more minutes outside then we go in" and I realize he has no sense of time.  But oddly enough, he must get some portion of it.  I do the countdown usually... "ok... 4 more... ok, 2 more" and that often works.  He makes me laugh so hard when he's doing something and looks at me and says "mama... only ONE more minute."  Good luck...

Everyone try to stay cool these next few days.  I'm dreading my son wanting to spend every minute outside, like he normally does, and us just melting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Wow, 11 pounds Med! That's great! My DS is around 10 pounds at six weeks and I thought that was pretty big! But my DD was always small, so he seems big to me.

We are getting better nighttime sleep and he is a much happier baby now that he is on Prilosec for his reflux. I am still struggling with getting him to nap in something other than the car seat or baby carrier though. I just keep trying.

Finally with DS being 6 weeks, I feel like I can handle two kids, which is great! I have to go back to work soon though, so we'll see how that impacts things.

RE: the daycare talk.....DD just moved up to the preschool room at our center. She loves it and we all love her teacher. Well, one of the other parents just told me the teacher is leaving and that a few teachers are unhappy with the director. Sigh. My instinct is to think about switching day cares, but DH thinks that is unnecessary. There also isn't another local center that is in a convenient location.  I will ask some questions next week, but it is hard to know what is true or not. This also isn't good timing with DS starting soon, which I am stressed about anyway. Something about other people taking care of my little baby.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Ahhh... the teacher to parent grapevine.  Take that with a HUGE grain of salt, memes.  The cranky teachers will always try to get the parents on their "side" as if that's going to make the director do something because s/he is "scared" of parents' reactions.  Use your own judgement - have you seen anything amiss since you've been there?  Ask the DIRECTOR if that teacher is leaving, and if the answer is yes, then do ask when the letter went out to parents as you "must have missed it."  Because the director should write a letter to parents when a teacher leaves - definitely to the parents in that class, but also to the parents to all the classes of that age group, or to the entire center, depending on the size of the center. (some centers have 100-150 children, with multiple "wings" so a parent of a preschooler wouldn't have any idea who the infant 3 teacher is, for example, while other centers have 50-65 children, with one or two classes of each age group, so the parents will know many/most of those teachers. 

Also, please try not to pump your teachers for info about the center - not that you are doing it, memes, I'm just issuing a general plea from a director.  If you want to know something, go to the director, who will tell you (or not, depending on confidentiality) but will be able to give you some context. 

Remember, one teacher leaving does not mean the center is falling apart (it could mean that, of course, if lots start leaving) - perhaps this teacher has an opportunity for growth or to do something different? Or is she moving?  Retiring?  Want to work with a different age group?

Sigh... I have to write a letter to my parents because a teacher is leaving - she's an infant teacher who knows SO MUCH about infant development that I know I'll never replace her.  And the parents will be devastated....  it's going to be a long two weeks....  I start to cry at the thought of her leaving, she's only been here one year but has made a huge difference.  I've learned things about infant development from her.  She's transferring to another of our sister centers, so at least our company isn't losing her, but yikes, OUR CENTER is losing her, and that is hard.  The commute is killing her, though, she takes 1 hour and $160 per month to commute - the other center is one subway stop away from her house so a total of $2.50 each day..... she's going to feel like she got a huge raise when she's not spending so much to commute each month!  I better not do my own commuting $ math or I'd quit as I commute from the suburbs to the city daily....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CT - That's interesting about the letter. Is that a common practice or even a mandatory one for corporate daycares? (we are with BH)  Interestingly, in addition to DD's teacher disappearing one day, we also just got notification that the director is leaving. I'm a little worried that the assistant director will take over. I'm not her biggest fan. I've overheard her speaking very unprofessionally (in my opinion) to teachers on two different occasions. Basically berating them for something they did, in front of parents. I'm hoping they bring someone new in. I'm sorry you're losing a wonderful teacher! I hope you find someone just as great to take her place.

Thanks everyone for the bedtime advice. I'm doing all of those things, especially since last weekend, but she still flips out on me when I try to leave the room. No matter what I do. I think she's going through something because there are other new behaviors, like throwing things. She's never, ever done that. I'm wondering if there is some latent jealousy of baby brother happening, but who knows. Trying to give her more 1:1 attention. I worry when we butt heads because of my own rocky relationship with my mother. But then I remind myself that she's 2.5 and a day of butting heads doesn't mean she's going to be 25 and not returning my phone calls. :)  But I still lose sleep over it.

Hope everyone stayed cool this weekend! We spent most of Saturday at Castle Island in Southie and it was so great! We got there at 10:30 and the parking lot was virtually empty (I was worried that it would be mobbed). Played on the little beaches, then in the playground, had snacks and frozen yogurt, twirled on the grass, it was great. And cool. Sunday was sprinkler day. I'm commending myself for resisting the urge to have ice cream for all meals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Poppy - not to freak you out, and I think he's probably too young anyway, but there's belief that a recent Hepatitis A outbreak may have started with some frozen organic pomegranate/berry mix.  And since your DS looks a bit yellow to you, perhaps you should call the doc to have him checked.  Here's the release which gives symptoms to look for, not sure if he has any others though, and I hope not for your sake.

Good information for everyone else too:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are investigating an  outbreak of Hepatitis Athat may be linked to  Townsend Farms Organic Anti-Oxidant Blend, a frozen berry and pomegranate seed mix.

As of May 31, 2013, there had been 30 individuals from 5 states infected with Hepatitis A. 

The  CDC recommends that consumers not eat this frozen food and discard any remaining product. 

Symptoms of Hepatitis A occur within 15-50 days of exposure and include:
    • yellow eyes or skin
    • abdominal pain
    • pale stools
    • dark urine

If you experience such symptoms, seek medical attention. If you consumed this product within the past few weeks and have never been vaccinated for Hepatitis A, contact your health care provider to see if you should be vaccinated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Sending a letter to parents when a teacher in their child's classroom is leaving SHOULD be part of best practices - whether at a corporate center or a "mom and pop" center.  That's my opinion, anyway - I can't imagine just letting a Monday happen and having parents in a classroom not know that their child's teacher left last Friday! Of course, with firings we can't give notice, LOL, but I still write the letter that "XX no longer works at our center, and here is how we will be covering the classroom while we search for a new teacher". Besides, parents would want to say goodbye, give the teacher a goodbye gift, etc. if she's good.