May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

IPW-with DS we just kept spitting in the sink when we brushed his teeth and told him to do so, eventually he just got it. DD just copied DS and us right away. Not sure there was anything else to it beyond that.

I'm loving this weather (except from all this pollen)-spent a wonderful weekend outside in the yard playing with the kids.

OT-for those of you with minivans-do you love them? Anyone have one and not recommend it? I'm debating repalcing my 9 year old small SUV- and debating if I want a bigger SUV or a minivan...would go with a Honda car. I've never wanted a minivan-but that was really only because I never wanted to be the "mom jeans wearing mini van driving" person. Are those sliding doors worth it????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My friends with the 3 yo and triplets bought a Honda Odyssey after much consternation about the mom-jean minivan stigma, and they love it with no regrets.  I helped her take them (babies and lo) to their 9 month appointment. YES, THE DOORS AND THE WHOLE VEHICLE IS WORTH IT.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

There are varied recommendations on toothpaste, but my pedi said to hold off on flouride toothpaste until closer to 3, when DD can spit.  Of course, a new study will come out any day now saying that 2 yos should absolutely use flouride toothpaste.

Related question, someone recently said their LO was good at brushing.  Was that you IPW?  I brush DD's teeth (mama's turn first) and then give her the brush, which she basically just chews on.  Hoping that's normal?

Thanks for weighing in, Kar!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Poppy - I noticed that in the last week my supply has dropped a little.  Once I noticed this happening I started to power pump.  So pump unitl no milk comes out then stop for 2 mintues pump for 5 then repeat.  It has helped for me.  My day goes like this: nurse in the am then pump and then pump 3 more times for the rest of the day.  It takes me about 1/2 hour each time. 

Nov- Good for you!  If DS nursed more then I would probably go on for longer but he gave me the boot a long time ago when I went back to work.  And wont nurse except for the morning.  The hardest part for me is when the weekends comes around and I have to stop everything to go pump for a 1/2 hour several times a day.  WOW your LO is a good little drinker.  DS is all over the place.  It varies from 28-21 oz a day.  I guess now that I do the math DS is not that far off. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Knock on wood, I've always had a pretty good supply.  I pump 4x a day: wake up, mid- morning, mid-afternoon and before bed for about 15-20 minutes each. On weekends I can almost get away with three pumps a day, but the past two Sunday nights I've had to defrost for Monday daycare, so I really have to work on getting that fourth one in.  When I do notice a supply dip though is anytime I am sick, or when I don't drink enough water.  I e-pump, so I figure my body is probably programmed for that amount at this point.  I imagine there would be more fluctation with a nursing baby and changing demand?

My first goal was 6 weeks, then til I went back to work, then 6 months, then 1 year.  Maybe I need a goal to wean - like a trip to a tropical island where it'd be a royal PITA to drag a pump along?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome, Fram - didn't want you to think you were nuts to wonder if that little bit could do it. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to KAM2007's comment:

IPW-with DS we just kept spitting in the sink when we brushed his teeth and told him to do so, eventually he just got it. DD just copied DS and us right away. Not sure there was anything else to it beyond that.

I'm loving this weather (except from all this pollen)-spent a wonderful weekend outside in the yard playing with the kids.

OT-for those of you with minivans-do you love them? Anyone have one and not recommend it? I'm debating repalcing my 9 year old small SUV- and debating if I want a bigger SUV or a minivan...would go with a Honda car. I've never wanted a minivan-but that was really only because I never wanted to be the "mom jeans wearing mini van driving" person. Are those sliding doors worth it????

We don't have a minivan (I have a Corolla and DH has something very similar) but I've been DYING to get a small SUV like a Rav 4, but I won't lie- I'm starting to warm to the idea of minivans for multiple reasons. 1) the space! 2) We want more kids and might outgrow a small SUV, too. 3) I don't like big SUVs.  Any of this is still months and months down the line, but you're not alone in considering a minivan but wanting to avoid the mom-jeans stigma lol...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I drove a Rav 4 for years and loved it.  I would have been fine with it until we had another LO but we decided to move up to the Chevy Traverse.  I LOVEEEEE it!  I have the 7 seat configuration with the two captains chairs for the second row.  It's basically the configuration of a minivan on a crossover frame.  It drives very similar to my old Rav 4 which has been nice.  I would highly recommend it if you're looking to go bigger.  It has a full size third row which is what I was looking for.  The Highlander and 4 Runner had a third row that could fit children but not an adult due to the little leg room.

AFM, DS is 11 months old today!  Can't believe it!  He has roseola at the moment but luckily hasn't been affected by it in the past few days, just waiting for the rash to go away.  We are suppose to be going to the zoo this weekend for Mother's Day but not sure how the weather is going to work out for us.  Fingers crossed for lots of sunshine.

I do have one concern, we were at the DR last week for a re-check for DS's nebulizer routine (unfortunately we have 2 more weeks of nightly nebulizer treatments and then are done, hopefully, until next winter). They did a weight check and he's only gained 7 oz since his 9 month check.  The DR doesn't seem worried but I certainly am.  He's already a peanut and it worries me that he's falling even lower on the curve.  We have his 12 month appointment in a month and I'm hoping he's had a little more weight gain by then.  He eats great and is still taking 30-34 oz of formula a day so not sure what else we can do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc, my DS gained less than a pound between 9-12 months, and the doc wasn't concerned at all, though I was initially just as surprised/concerned as you are, especially since he's small, too (20 lbs at the 12 month check). Is he crawling and/or generally moving around more? It really is amazing how much energy they burn and how much leaner they can get. DS was such a chubbo at 6 mos, and now other than the belly and thighs he looks so lean to me! Hoping for a little more weight gain at his 15 month appt next week, but we'll see.

In any case, talk to your pedi more if you're worried, but I'd trust what s/he says.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Fram, totally normal I think.  DS has his turn first, does a decent job back and forth on the front teeth, and then starts to chew on the brush inhaling most of the toothpaste.  Mama's turn is second and I really get in there to get the back and sides.  We started flouride toothpaste at 2 per doctor's recommendation... but use a tiny amount since he doesn't spit it out.  Funny your doc says 3, mine said 2.  Similar to most recommendations I bet (peanuts, starting food, etc.) so I think whatever works for you is the right thing!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Fram - I'll second IPW that biting the toothbrush is totally normal.  My DD (3) spits, but DS just bites and doesn't get how to spit.  Did you know you can get training toothpaste that's not harmful if swallowed?  They are both still on that and take flouride supplements because we are on well water.

KAM - We're probably getting a minivan at the end of the year.  Sigh.  I just worry about manuvering that gigantic vehicle and it being super boring to drive.  DH got me into German (sporty) cars and we currently have 2 wagons which I find to be big enough.  But I love the idea of so many seats so we could still carry around another adult when Granny visits, etc.

Summer - Yes!  The spoon trick totally worked with my DS at that age.  Result!

Poppy - Both mine were late side of normal crawlers and walkers.  I wouldn't worry at only 8 months.

Question for you all.  DS (21 months) has gotten really bad at pushing, hitting and hair pulling.  We do timeouts, but it doesn't seem to effect his behaviour.  Any advice on how to get him to stop?  Or maybe what is causing him to hit?  He has many words and understands a lot so I'm not sure why he chooses to hit over using his words.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Arcain.  He's definitely crawling and cruising all over the place so that could be part of it.  He did grow an inch and a half so I guess he's just thinning out.  I probably just need to relax but it was alarming to see such a small weight gain.  I'll definitely bring it up next month at his 12 month appointment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

wow, a lot of topics :) We are still trying to figure out how to work in DS brushing his teeth and spitting (right now, we brush for him and it has only been recently that we could get him to open and hold it open as we sing the ABC song twice - which our dentist was long enough) DH is paranoid about tooth decay and gums because of his own experiences (and it did not help that we saw a 3-4 year old with all visible teeth with caps on recently, which only reinforced DH's fears about early teeth decay - and his own gum surgeries last year makes him paranoid about DS brushing too hard on the gums). So I am pushing him to give the tooth brush to DS after he brushes the teeth, and not freak out if DS goes harder than he likes.

pumping - I am doing my second round of pumping, this time for DD who is 8 months. I did manage to pump for DS until 13 months then slowly cut back (from 3 sessions to 2 sessions then to 1). For DD, I started on 3 sessions, and now on 2 sessions (after she hit 6 months) since she started to reverse cycle and dropped her intake of milk at daycare in favor of solids and crawling. We switched bottle nipples and finally to sippy cup and her good day is 8-9 oz during the 9 hour day so I have been one of the lucky ones who pump the amount or more than she needs. (DS was worse about the bottle/sippy cup than she was, and I only recall a slight dip at 7-8 months which appeared to be related more to my own hydration and sick factors - so I would go drink mothers milk tea and eat lots of oats and my supply would recover). DS hardly gained anything from 6-9 months (I can not recall what he weighed at 12 months but I recall at 9 months, we were surprised he was virtually unchanged in weight and I don't think he gained too much more at 12 months) and he was a late roller/crawler (rolled at 7 months although he could sit unsupported for a while by the time he decided to roll) and belly scooted at 9 months, belly off the ground at 11 for crawling. Since all his other milestones were on target, our pedi did not worry about him.

DD at 8 months on the other hand is so motivated to move that we wish she would slow down - we are really not prepared for such an early mover.

We have a minivan and love it, especially for road trips. And I love the sliding doors - they are totally worth it, especially when we are in parking spaces that are small (so much easier to get the kids in and out with sliding doors) and we can open and close from driver's seat and from key so when it is a hot day, I can cool off the car faster by opening the doors before getting to the car.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, if he doesn't spit out even a tiny amount of floride daily I'd go to a toothpaste that doesn't have floride until he does regardless of the doc's recommendation.  As long as  the habit of twice daily brushing is being established there's no reason he should be swallowing any floride.  Tom's of Maine makes some great floride free options.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

RE: spitting & floride-our pediatric dentist put it into perspective, it would take a child to consume an entire tube of toothpaste in one sitting for her to even remotely be concerned about the floride that a pea sized amount was not concerning at all. For a short while we used floride free Tom's of Maine-but the taste got to us all (I like mint!) and I refuse to get fruity/bubble gum flavored stuff for the kids that will just encourage them to swallow it that we use regular stuff and monitor how much they use.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Like IPW, our pedi recomended a flouride toothpaste at 2 years. Have any of you with LOs under 3 years taken them to a dentist yet? We have a new dentist who we love, and the office is encouraging (not pressuring) us to bring DD in for a visit. Mainly just to sit in the chair and meet them, not to have an actual exam. I haven't decided about this yet, but it seems like it couldn't hurt. Just have to check the insurance angle. Like flouride, age recs for actual dental visits seem to vary among doctors.

Nov and Pugs - I can see why your supply is maintained! I only pump 2x per day, and even that is stressful with my job. I don't pump at all at home, just nurse, and you're right - I don't really know how much he's taking, so the demand could be totally different when I'm pumping vs. feeding.

Cwag - just read your post. Does DD use the sippy successfully at 8 months? (I think that's how old she is). I've given one to DS, but he doesn't understand about tilting it to get water. I don't think he wants the water, anyway. But I'd love for him to get the hang of it. And that is great about your supply. It's nice to hear the mother's milk and oats actually worked for you!

Trouble - sorry DS is acting out in that way! Is there any pattern as to when he does this? Maybe just attention-getting behavior? DD does this sometimes when we're paying too much attention to DS... :\

ETA: Quick aside re: toothpaste. We bought DD some strawberry kids' toothpaste, but then also got her some regular mint. She insists on calling the mint "mushroom." We don't know where she got this. "I want the mushroom toothpaste, Mama." "You mean this? The mint?" "No, the mushroom."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Wow, lots to catch up on!!

I am glad everyone is doing well! We moved up north (Andover) last week and I am still adjusting. We came from a town near the city, and this feels so isolating to me! I also don't know anyone here, so am anxious to meet other moms. Any advice on how to easily adjust to a new place?? I know there are a few of you on here who have moved recently. 

DD is fine, although she had the throw up bug last night and slept a lot today, so we are having trouble getting her down tonight. She is talking up a storm (dada, mama, yaya, nana), it's so cute! She isn't a huge eater, and I have finally decided to relax about that one. She still takes her formula well, so I am going to let her eat at her own pace. 

Loving this weather, although the new house does not have central air....something I am going to have to get used to! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats on the move Liz. I don't live in Andover, but I am a member of this organization:

http://www.themotherconnection.org/

Basically it's like a mom's club that sends out a newsletter, puts together playgroups for various ages, holds all kinds of events (mainly around Andover and surrounding towns), etc. I joined after seeing it at a baby expo I went to. It is fantastic. Last summer I went to weekly playgroups with 5-6 other moms with babies around the same age. This is the only way I had to meet other moms, and gave me a reason to get out of the house. The downside is that my group's playgroups are always on Mondays, and since I'm a teacher I can only go during school vacations or during the summer so now I barely get to see them anymore :(   I highly recommend checking it out and maybe joining- it's a small fee for a year's membership.

Come summer I also plan on taking my DD to our new town's library for storytime, etc, and checking out some nice playgrounds we have here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I'm not sure how much DD (11 months) drinks from me.  She gorges for about 1.5 hours in the morning sometimes, from 4-5:30 (changes sides halfway through) but she loves solid food and eats a LOT so during the day on the weekends, even when she's with me, she doesn't nurse too much.  She takes once bottle, about 5-6 ounces, at daycare but I don't think she really needs it, since she doesn't nurse during the day with me.  I think it's more about convenience for the people at daycare.  She is practically weaning herself at night.  I try to feed her at bedtime and she pushes me away like I"m keeping her from sleep. 

My oldest nursed a LOT more and weaning her took some strategy and force of will--and I didn't even start trying until 15 months!  I think this time around it will be very different.

For those of you weaning the first time around, don't worry about it hurting your breasts the way it did when your milk came in the first time around.  You are feeding your little ones less now than you were before they ate solid food.  Also, unfortunately, your breasts are all stretched to the point of not being easily filled that much with the lower milk volume you are producing at this point. sigh.  If you cut out one feeding at a time, you can get down to nothing in a couple of weeks (depending on where you started).  I thought the evening would be the hardest with my first and it ended up being the morning feeding that was tougher. If you're nervous about aches or leaks, remember chamomile and mint both suppress milk production.  Throw some mint in your iced tea--or have a lovely mint julep in the evening!  It's all for a good cause.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to Trouble30's comment:

Question for you all.  DS (21 months) has gotten really bad at pushing, hitting and hair pulling.  We do timeouts, but it doesn't seem to effect his behaviour.  Any advice on how to get him to stop?  Or maybe what is causing him to hit?  He has many words and understands a lot so I'm not sure why he chooses to hit over using his words.

Observe and see when he does it - he pushes, hits, etc. FOR A REASON.  It's NEVER for "no reason" although the reason might be hard for you to notice at first, so you have to really observe and see when it is.  Is he hungry so he loses patience easily?  Is it when he's tired? When he's wound up, really excited, so at someone else's house when you first get there? Or only when he's with x # of children (like he can handle one other child but if he's in a group of 3 or 4 kids, watch out?) Is it only with his older sibling? 

Having words and being able to pull those words out at the right time when under stress are two different things.  Under stress might be someone is taking his truck, and he can't say My truck, Give it back" fast enough, or his brain won't pull those words out fast enough, so he pushes to get his truck back. 

Just keep reminding him, by getting down on his level "DS, you can't hit.  You want the truck. Can you say "My truck, give it back" to your sister?  And then no matter how many words he says, you say "Sister, please give brother's truck back. He had it first. Let's find you something to use, how about the car?"

Also, his older sister might on purpose be making him crazy, teasing him, etc.  So watch out, because he might then hit, she cries, and you notice the hitting/crying but not the teasing or truck stealing that got her the hit.  Sometimes they have to work it out, too, because if he hits then she might remember not to keep takin' his stuff! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

poppy-we started taking DS to the pediatric dentist aroudn age 2-not much happend the first visit except to get him comfortable with the whole thing, sit in the chair, play with the tools, have her look in his mouth. Now at 4, he get a full cleaning even got an x-ray last time. At first we started with yearly visits, now we've started him with every 6 monhts. In July we will take DD for her first visit-she will be 20.5 mo then. The receptionist joked that probably all the dentist will be able to do is look at her teeth and see if there are any major problems berwing-no actual cleaning yet. I've only recently gotten DD to show me her teeth after brushing (which is a huge struggle-but she's so proud after).  Do I think its worth it-yes. Our dentist makes herself available for emergency calls-if the kids knock a tooth out on the weekend-we can call her and she will come in and see what needs to be done to fix things. Then again, we have dental insurance so that's why I think its worth it. ;)

So, it sounds like for those who've made the switch to the mini van are happy-the only complaint I've heard is that once you have one-everyone wants you to drive since you have the space. In my office parking lot today I parked next to a guy in a minivan-he caught me checking it out-so he gave me the tour-it was pretty funny seeing a guy showing off his minivan. So, now my question is: are mom jeans comfortable????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

So, now my question is: are mom jeans comfortable????

Probably not, but yoga pants are Tongue Out

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Lissa, can you explain a little more about your DD's schedule for drinking bmilk/bottle?  My DD is 9 months and I am in the process of weaning her (mainly because my DH and I are going on a kid-free trip at the beginning of June, (HOORAY!) and I don't really want to be pumping 5x/day)  I've gotten her down to nursing upon wakeup, nursing 1x during the day (around 2:00 and that ispumping if I am at work) and before bed.  I offer her bottles two other times a day, and she drinks 2-4 oz from each.   I am worried she's not getting enough but it sounds like maybe it's about the same as your dd?

ETA: My DD eats a ton of solid foods during the day, of course!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to summerbride09's comment:

So, now my question is: are mom jeans comfortable????

Probably not, but yoga pants are Tongue Out

Especially lucy's "Everyday Pants" - highly recommend!!  Last Friday I wore them to the triplets' house, and I could move so well (straddling/hopping baby gates like a gazelle, well, without tripping, anyway) that I started calling them Magic Pants.  Squatting is so common in a house with 3 10 month olds that I feel like I've done a thigh class at the gym, and these pants...ahhhhh, so comfy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Glad to hear most of you are waiting until 2 or 3 for the dentist. I read somewhere you should start within a year of the kid getting his/her first tooth but the idea of DS sitting in a dentist's chair and letting someone look in his mouth anytime in the near future is laughable. I'm still trying to incorporate toothbrushing into his bedtime routine, but so far I have about a 5% success rate at even getting it into his mouth, and no actual brushing has occurred.

I wish I couldn't answer your question, KAM, but I can say that mom jeans ARE comfortable. I bought a pair accidentally a couple months ago. They looked pretty normal, fit nicely, looked good in the butt, etc., but after I got them home I realized they had a "belly-flattening panel" (which, for the first time since I had DS, I actually don't need anymore!) and come up to my belly button. But I find myself wearing them far more often than my low-rise pre-baby jeans. But I still drive a sedan, so it balances out, right? :-)

Sections
Shortcuts