May Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Re: May Infants and Toddlers

Thanks so much Poppy! It makes me feel better that someone else had a similar experience. I keep thinking about all the other people with multiple kids and wonder if I am the only one who is really overwhelmed. I am sure you are right that it will get easier, I just want that to happen NOW! 

I will try to take your advice about the nighttime and get out of the bedroom to go watch TV, etc. And I think you are definitely right about getting out of the house. I will try to do that more. I usually try to get DD outside, but she haswant been wanting to go out lately. Anyone else have an almost 3 year old that doesn't want to go outside? I think it is strange. I should try the playground with the kids though.

My other issue is that I can't really just put DS down in the swing, etc. He wants to be held all the time, even when awake. He is almost 1 month. Is this normal for his age? DD would let me put her down in the PnP and swing when she was a baby, so this is new to me.

I think we might be dealing with a little reflux or gassiness too. I am going to discuss with the pedi next week. DS spits up a decent amount and goes through periods of being fussy and uncomfortable. For those with babies that had reflux, what were the symptoms? Did you do Zantac?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Memes will he settle in a carrier?  I found the Ergo to be a life saver in the house when DD just HAD to be held.  It was a lot more comfortable for me and freed up my hands to at least do some stuff, like open the mail, load the dishwasher, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Memes our DS had lots of gas and lots of spitting up but not necessarily reflux.  We used Gripe Water and it saved our sanity.  Every night from 7 - 10 pm for the first 2-3 months DS would have tons of gas and be in lots of pain but the Gripe Water really helped.  He also slept in his bouncer until 2.5 - 3 months.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Happy Mother's Day, mamas! Hope you all have a great day and get to do something special. We're having our parents and DH's sisters over for a small BBQ later. DH surprised me with flowers and an automatic floor cleaner (which I wanted, and I realize it's sort of an odd gift request) Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Thanks, Poppy.  I definitely doze off.  She nurses lying next to me.  When she wants to switch sides she yells and starts hitting me in the chest, so then I wake up and switch.  Sometimes she sleeps past 4 and it ends up being a shorter session but that gets tough because she likes to eat a lot and then I have to stop her when my alarm goes off so I can get ready.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I also hope everyone had a happy mother's day!  DH took the kids to a pottery place last week and they made me a platter with their handprints on them.  I love it so much and I'm so impressed that DH did that with them and that they all did such a great job!  Best Mother's day yet!!!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Lissa, thank you so much for your detailed post about DD's eating.  Like you, my DD is breastfed and drinks pumped milk.  The problem for me was that I don't think my pumping yields as much as she gets when she nurses, hence the concern taht she was drinking enough during the day from the bottle.  I have gotten her down to nursing once in the morning and once at night and i am pumping once during the day (or nursing on the weekends once during the day).  I have a ton of stored breastmilk and it should get me pretty close to a year for the other two daily feedings, and if not I will go to formula.  She's been drinking from 8-12 oz from the bottles so I think she's getting enoughwith that plus the breastfeeding morning and night.  In any case, she's growin and thriving, which is all that matters, right? This morning she managed to pull herself up on the side of her crib for the first time!  Crazy how quickly things change with babies.

Memes - hang in there, parenting two kids is super challenging and takes some time to make the adjustment.  I wore DD2 constantly over the first few months (still do actually!) so I would be able to play with DD1 while keeping the baby happy.  We used a baby bjorn while she was super little and then transitioned to the ergo once she was able to keep her head supported.  We still use the ergo to go play outside or at the playground.  Definitely recommend trying out a few types of carriers to see which one your baby prefers.  Isis has them out on display and will help you try them on - and isis also has a fun play area in each of their stores where your DD can play while you are shopping. It's a good place to go for a first time errand with both kids.  And I second Poppy's great suggestion of nursing the baby in the car while your toddler is strapped down eating a snack.  Works great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Happy Mother's Day ladies.  We took DS to the Roger Williams Park Zoo which was so much fun.  He loved all of the animals but his favorite were the camels.  Overall it was a wonderful day!

DH and I are discussing when to start trying for #2.  We originally were waiting until this fall but baby fever has caught and now thinking of starting a little sooner.  We are going to discuss it more in the upcoming weeks as DH has requested to get through baseball season (he coaches) before we consider it again but we'll see.  My biggest hold back is the 5 weddings we have this year, two of which I am in and not wanting to be pregnant for that.  But at the same time once I'm pregnant I won't care at all so who knows!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day! I'm curious how many of you feel you can truly enjoy it as a mom, versus planning the day around the other moms in your families.  I have managed to be able to balance the day and do both (early part of the day for me, dinner with everyone), but it can be tricky and I have friends who don't get to really do anything they want to do because they are doing what their mothers/mothers-in-law want.

CLC - Envious of your trip to RWP Zoo! So glad your DS loved it! I'm hoping to get there this summer.

For us, re: the reflux and spitting up, we were lucky enough that he mainly outgrew it after about 3 months. I was waiting it out before going for medications, since DS didn't go through too many truly uncomfortable episodes (where he'd be burping and screaming). But if it had lasted much longer or been more severe I would have probably talked about meds.

Speaking of bad episodes, he woke up around 9:30 the other night *screaming*, clearly a pain-scream. The kind where you frantically strip the baby down, sure there is some sort of creature in his pj's biting him. After about 30 minutes of arching, flailing, screaming, he let out one small burp, then slumped over and fell asleep on my chest. While DH and I stood/lay there panting. Another parenting moment of feeling completely helpless!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy, hysterical! I've so been there.  Glad it was just a burp bothering the little guy but scary for you!

I totally agree with you about mother's day being a balancing act.  We visit my family in the morning and DH's family comes over for a cookout at night.  I had exactly 2 hours to myself in the middle of the day. I  ended up going out for a little bit myself and getting a manicure, which was nice, but I would have also liked to go out with my DH and kids and spend some time somewhere like the zoo (great idea!) or roam around in Boston.  Maybe next year I will suggest we celebrate my mother's day on Saturday so SUnday can be devoted to our families. 

Anyone ever use care.com or sittercitty to find a babysitter? We have been lucky so far to only use family for watching the kids, which is so nice because we don't have to pay them, but definitely comes with fair share of guilt and logistical issues.  (For example, my inlaws will come to our house but don't like to stay out past 9:00, which means we have to make it a really early night.  My parents like to watch the kids at their house, which is 30 mins away, so that means we have to pick up the kids and drive home at the end of the night etc.). So, lately, lately DH and I have been thinking it may be nice to have someone who we can pay to watch the kids so we can go out for dinner and a movie guilt free. Thoughts/advice? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Rama - I did the same; had 2 hours out by myself. During which I frantically shopped for desperately-needed clothes. Not exactly relaxing. (And today I joined Weight Watchers.) I think the Saturday/Sunday idea is great.

We have the same situation as you with sitters and I was actually *just* thinking about it. We don't want to ask one of our moms to come stay if we want to go out to dinner, since we feel like we have to rush and get back before it gets too late. I emailed my SIL about a week ago asking if she could sit May 31 (she's a bit younger than me, and not married, lives about 20 minutes from us). I haven't had a response, which irks me a bit. Even if she said, "I will get back to you." Some kind of acknowledgement. I have never, ever asked her to babysit. I'll be curious if anyone responds re: sitter-city, etc. Do either of your kids go to school/daycare? I can't remember. Our daycare teachers told us they all babysit, we just keep forgetting to ask their rates. I would absolutely trust any of them to babysit my kids.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Rama, I'm in the babysitter search now myself.  We've mostly relied on my parents, but since they also watch the kids 2 days a week, we feel bad asking them to do much.  My sister used to live nearby, and she was our evening help, but she's moved now, and I miss that!  Lately, we've been alternating who goes out with friends, but definitely need more time together on our own. 

I know lots of people will hire their daycare folks for evenings/weekends, but I think I'd rather find 2 or 3 people in my neighborhood who I can have in our rotation. 

I also have a friend with 2 kids around the same age as mine, and we've talked about swapping nights, where I go over to her house or she comes to mine...gives us each a break, but also leaves our kids in the hands of people we trust and who are used to the juggling act of 2! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Happy Mama's day!

I agree, the day isn't really about me...if it was then why was I running around all day yesterday? Cooking and cleaning all day long? My mother came out so I made brunch for her (way easier than getting us all to a restaurant), so cooking cleaning, taking care of the kids-then the sunday fun of grocery shopping and laundry and winding down from all the Saturday activities. It will get better as the kids get older-right? :)

meme-I couldn't put DD down as a newborn either-I wore her in the moby all the time. And the night time fussy time was the worst, she was fine if I was holding/wearing her, but if not, she as fussing the entire time. so for everyone sanity I just wore her. I feared I would be holding her until she left for college-not so, at 20 mo she is totally independent. As soon as she got to the 4 mo mark she was fine hanging out on her own while I got some things done. the "4th trimester" was a very true statement for her. We probably just notice it more with our  second ones since we had the ability to hold the first ones more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

That's a good idea about daycare teachers, I will have to look into that, although my DD's teacher lives in a town that is about 40 mins away so not sure if she would want to drive back out our way on a day she doesn't work.  But, maybe she would, if she wanted to make some extra cash. Speaking of which, can we talk about rates?  My cousin who lives out of state was saying she pays her high school aged babysitter $8-10, depending on time of day, how many of her kids (she has 3) she left etc. and she paid an older babysitter $12-$15.  Is this right?  DH and I will have to have our romantic dinner dates at Friendlys in order to afford the extra $$ for the babysitter....kidding (sort of)..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks all! DS does like the sling, so I will have to use that more often. 

And Rama, I think $12-15 for a babysitter is pretty standard, unfortunately!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Happy Mother's Day, all! We struggle to balance, too, though I got to sleep in yesterday, DH made me breakfast, and DS napped for a whopping 3 hours in the morning. Of course, he slept that long because we'd been up from about 1-3 the night before for no clear reason. Thankfully that's a rare occurrence. Poppy, I felt the same way as you when he woke up. He wasn't pain-crying, but I still felt so helpless not knowing why he was awake and upset.

I've been wondering about sitters, too. My parents practically beg to babysit DS most weekends, and they're fairly flexible with time, will come over to our house, etc. But we realized yesterday that we haven't been out WITH my parents -- something we used to do and enjoy a lot -- since I was pregnant. My parents have a teenage neighbor who does a lot of babysitting and they've suggested we have her watch DS so we can go out sometime, but I haven't worked up to it yet. I'd definitely like to find someone in the neighborhood. My dc provider has her own grandchildren a lot, but I bet she'd have some good advice on finding a sitter. Would definitely like to hear if anyone had experiences with SitterCity, etc., though.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's LO mimic coughing? For the last few weeks, anytime someone around him coughs, DS has to imitate it. It's the funniest thing, b/c there's always a 5 or 10 second delay before he does it, and he does it almost absentmindedly (i.e. not for attention like all his other mimicing behavior :-)). MIL had a cough yesterday and we were all cracking up at how DS would imitate every time she did it. Kids are so weird :-).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We are looking on care.com for another sitter(s) as we speak too!  $15-$25 seems standard depending on experience and # of kids.  We use one of DD's former daycare teachers in the evenings now and she's $20/hour!  So.flippin.expensive!  But I guess the argument is that she's background checked, knows CPR etc and I really trust her so it's worth it.  You could try different teachers from different rooms too.  

On the same subject,  we are interviewing 3 candidates from care.com tomorrow.  What would you ask a babysitter candidate on an interview?  

BTW, I am eternally jealous of all of you with family support close by! DH and I are both transplants and don't have that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Arcain, I remember DS doing that (mimicing coughing).  I can't remember when exactly, but thought it was funny.  Now the cutest thing is when he says "bless you" after someone sneezes.  The cat actually sneezed this morning and he said "bless you kitty!'  MELT!

A good friend uses Care.com and raves.  She also saw the CEO speak at an event and was really impressed (a fellow mom herself).  We have used my MIL for evenings where we had to leave before DS's bedtime, and we used our 12 (now 13) year old niece for when we could head out late.  She did the babysitting course through school, so while I was nervous about her young age, she has done ok so far.  Just last time we went out and actually let her do bedtime (I did bath but we left with him awake and she put him to bed... a huge plus since he now goes to bed closer to 8pm). We pay her $10 an hour.  She's family, but this is her new little business and I feel we'd be taking advantage if we didn't pay her.  She either has to sleep over or DH has to drive her home... about 25 mins away... so not optimal.  We are starting to think about a non-family member for the events that are family events (we had a family retirement party recently and thank goodness my niece wasn't interested in going).

My husband says I get a "do-over" for mother's day.  We did the family breakfast yesterday, planned by me, for 12 people.  Did tons of household errands and since we are in the middle of some renovations, my DH was very house focused.  My "me" time was 1 hour during DS's nap... so I caught up on a DVR'd show, pressing pause every other minute while DH was using the saw.  We did grab dinner out (which was not so much for mom's day but out of necessity since we don't have a kitchen at the moment).  But it was still nice just the three of us, and DS behaved awesome the whole time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I struggled with the balancing Mother's Day part of that (and father's day!) for a few years.  It was a little easier this year, I think because my sister is in India on business, my brother had to work some overtime to get some project done, and my other sister had to study for finals.  It seems like when I have obligations I"m a huge disappointment but once I pave the way, the others follow down the slippery slope and my mom doesn't care as much. 

Seriously, in the past we've done Saturday is for families and Sunday is for me, or vice versa.  This year when I called my mum to wish her happy mother's day she was like "oh, honey, we're right in the middle of a bike ride.  thanks for the call!  I'll text you later!"  So I guess some things do get easier with time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It must be the nice weather because I've been thinking about finding a local baby sitter as well.  Trouble - so sorry to hear you don't have local support.  I know you weren't looking for pity, but we're only ~25  minutes from our families and that's difficult enough sometimes!  I might be moving more like an hour away so that'll be an adjustment.  My mother is the most easy going of our babysitting options, but she isn't always available.  A friend used her teenage neighbor a few times, so I might give her a shot depending on her rate.

Mother's day was not much of a balancing act this year... Mostly because DH's mother and grandmother went out to lunch with BIL and his family and we were not included.  Ouch.  That bothered me for a minute, until I decided it benefited me more than it hurt :o)  We had brunch with my side of the family.  When we got home, I put DD down for a late nap and attempted to take a nap myself... But I could hear her calling us 25 minutes later, so I went to tell DH to get her up... and he was asleep on the couch.  Typical!  It was funny though.  I ordered silver photo keychains on snapfish for the grandmothers and myself.  They came out so cute!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

I hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day! I'm curious how many of you feel you can truly enjoy it as a mom, versus planning the day around the other moms in your families.  I have managed to be able to balance the day and do both (early part of the day for me, dinner with everyone), but it can be tricky and I have friends who don't get to really do anything they want to do because they are doing what their mothers/mothers-in-law want.

CLC - Envious of your trip to RWP Zoo! So glad your DS loved it! I'm hoping to get there this summer.

For us, re: the reflux and spitting up, we were lucky enough that he mainly outgrew it after about 3 months. I was waiting it out before going for medications, since DS didn't go through too many truly uncomfortable episodes (where he'd be burping and screaming). But if it had lasted much longer or been more severe I would have probably talked about meds.

Speaking of bad episodes, he woke up around 9:30 the other night *screaming*, clearly a pain-scream. The kind where you frantically strip the baby down, sure there is some sort of creature in his pj's biting him. After about 30 minutes of arching, flailing, screaming, he let out one small burp, then slumped over and fell asleep on my chest. While DH and I stood/lay there panting. Another parenting moment of feeling completely helpless!

Well this was my first mother's day, but it definitely wasn't just my day. We had our families over for a BBQ so I did all of the food prep, etc. I suppose the morning was my time though, and I just hung out at home with DH and DD. I like the idea of celebrating on Saturday and keeping actual Mother's day for the nuclear family. I will try to steal this idea for next year!

This was my gift though- I can't wait to try it out!

http://mintcleaner.com/products/mint-plus/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ooohh summer, that looks like fun!  You have a dog to clean up after too, right? Anything that actually buys time is an A+ gift in my book!

Speaking of gifts - I got a necklace from  www.chewbeads.com.  Not sure how I had never heard of these.  DD is constantly trying to eat my chunky necklaces, and so far she likes this one.  I'm adding it as one of my go-tos for baby showers and new mom presents.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Nov - loves those necklaces.  Seems like we are out of that phase so I'll have to wait until we are ready for #2 but then I'm definitely ordering one!  Thanks for sharing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

Ooohh summer, that looks like fun!  You have a dog to clean up after too, right? Anything that actually buys time is an A+ gift in my book!

Speaking of gifts - I got a necklace from  www.chewbeads.com.  Not sure how I had never heard of these.  DD is constantly trying to eat my chunky necklaces, and so far she likes this one.  I'm adding it as one of my go-tos for baby showers and new mom presents.

Yes we have a short hair boxer mix. He does a good job of cleaning up DD's table scraps that get flung far and wide, but then there's his tongue prints all over the floor...yuck!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I guess I'm officially making the jump to the Infant boards now that DS is here. He's 2.5 weeks old. We're having a tough time with nursing and I'm getting very discouraged. He lost 5 ounces between our first weight check at the pediatrician to his two week appointment on Monday. Since then, he's only gained an ounce. His latch is a little shallow. It seems like it gets enough when he first latches but then he spits some out and I can't figure out how to fix it. My nipples are all cracked and blistered. The LC recommended the biological position (I think that's what she called it, where he lays vertically on my stomach) and a nipple shield, so I'm hoping that all of that works out for us.  If he doesn't gain more over the weekend, I'm going to have to supplement with formula. I'm supposed to try pumping after each feeding, but I managed to break one of the little pieces to the pump, so that plan is on hold until the part comes in. So frustrating!

Sections
Shortcuts