May Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

May Infants & Toddlers

Happy birthday baby Chiclet! I love that cake story.

It's been quiet on here since BDC decided to put us through ANOTHER change.  I hope everyone comes back!

DS will be 2 next month and still isn't talking much.  I'm starting to get a little concerned.  Anyone else have a late talker?  He did come up with a new word yesterday, he was at my parents in the afternoon and saw the Prince spaghetti commercial where the mother is yelling "Anthony".  Apparently he was enthralled with the commercial.  When I went to pick him up my mom was telling me about it and he looked at my and clearly yelled "Anthony".  It was adorable.  Of course I couldn't get him to repeat it for my DH but we all heard it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: May Infants & Toddlers

Happy birthday, little Chiclet!  That is SO adorable about the clapping for the ice cream cake.

It does go by so fast... DS also turned 1 this past weekend and I can't believe it.  We haven't had cake for him yet, but I expect it will be thrown to the floor!  He is so adorable, and his new thing is giving lots of hugs... the way he puts his little hand up around the back of my neck, I could honestly just die of happiness.  (Of course, I wouldn't mind if he could consider not waking up so many times at night, but that's a separate issue.)

CLC, I don't have a ton of experience with that, although DD (now 3.5) did not do a ton of single words.  As she got between 18 months and 2 years, she started talking quite a bit, but there was not a long stage of just saying certain words, so it was a bit different than some other kids I have seen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Happy first birthday, baby Chiclet! So cute. I totally get it. I, too, want to clap every time I eat ice cream cake. Glad you had a great celebration(s).

CLC, my 20 month old DS only has a few words. This is very different from my DD, who was doing full sentences by 19 months. Definitely learning that there are wide differences in reaching milestones. He's recently starting to say more, but is very difficult to understand and we're currently doing a lot of that back-and-forth with us trying to understand what he's saying without frustrating him. He can understand everything we say, and does babble and mimic a lot, so I'm reserving concern for now. :)

Medford, I love that your DS is doing hugs, so cute. I totally get that "die of happiness" feeling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

DD is hopefully coming out of her 6 week growth spurt. Sleep this week has been evulsive. Last night she didn't settle until 2:30 and was up at 6 and the only way she slept was in our bed. I finally got her to nap just now and not on me by putting her on her swing. She's got to be overtired from not sleeping at night right?? I don't know if she's just not getting enough to eat or just being super clingy that's causing this but its frustrating. And everything I read seems to be contradicting, comfort nurse, don't comfort nurse, are those sleep cues or hunger cues? Ugh. 

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry Northern!  I hope this passes soon and you're graced with more sleep.  My friend's mothering motto is "And this too shall pass... ".  She reminds me of that whenever we are going through a new rough phase.  It's both frustrating and comforting to me but hopefully you find it comforting!

As for sleep, my DS slept in his bouncy seat for the first 3 months.  Our Pedi said wherever he'll sleep let him sleep and that's what he liked so we just went with it.  I carted that damn bouncy seat all over the house but it was worth it.  Hopefully you find something that works for you soon.  And for the nursing advice, I'm not the right person because I EP'd but do whatever works for you!  I think the best decisions are made not from what a book says but by what you're most comfortable with.  Good luck!  I feel for you :) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I haven't been able to catch up completely on posts, but I'm just glad these forum are finally fixed! Glad everyone's LOs are doing well and growing so quickly :)

CLC my DD is a chatterbox but each baby is different. As long as he's picking up things here and there and is meeting other social milestones, I wouldn't be too worried. My SIL barely spoke until she was almost 3 (3rd child syndrome- everyone spoke for her lol) and she's been fine since then...

AFM, DH and I are quietly reveling in LO #2, who is officially due mid-Dec. We haven't told anyone else yet, but are planning to do so at a family party next week.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats summer!!

Feels like forever since I've been on the parents boards.   A promotion at work had me super busy for a few months, then the format got all crazy... well, whatever, I'm back now, and glad to see some familiar names.

Northern - I also fall in the camp of forget the books and do what works for you.  I rocked DD to sleep and she slept in the rock and play until almost 6 months, then transitioned without a glitch into her crib.  Each baby is different. Whatever you choose - you are a good Mom! (Has everyone seen that "Keep calm you are a good mom" post one facebook?  Love that one!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks guys. There are definetly some days I feel like I have no clue what I am doing but I figure we all have those days. Thank goodness it's Friday because that means the husband is home for the next two days. That and I have a good weekend to look forward to.  

She just woke up from a two hr nap. Hallelujah! Longest she's napped this week not being held the whole time. Big fan of the swing today. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Northern, do you have any kind of baby carrier (Ergo, Baby Bjorn, etc) that you can put DD in while she's napping? My DS only really naps on one of us or in the car. He napped a lot in his Mama Roo in those first months. If you don't want to be trapped under a sleeping baby, maybe she'll nap in the carrier and you can get some stuff done around the house if you want. Or enjoy the snuggles! I always needed to remind myself that my full-time job was taking care of DS while I was on leave. They don't give you maternity leave so you can wash dishes. We definitely all have those days where we don't have a clue what we're doing. The good news is, your DD has no idea and she loves you anyway! :-)

We're officially making the transition to whole milk at daycare starting today. Not gonna lie, I'm a little sad about it. I'm happy to stop pumping at work though. Our doctor also instructed us to start time outs for DS's biting habit. He got his first one yesterday. He wasn't happy about it but then he came right back and bit me again. It's a work in progress I guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Chiclet - congrats to you for lasting this long pumping at work.  You're a saint!  We also do time outs, generally for hitting us or the dog.  Lots of repetition there!  We've found that taking away an item actually works better for us.  The baseball bat gets lots of time outs in our house.  

Thanks for all of the thoughts on talking.  DS understands everything going on and what we say to him he just doesn't talk back.  It's hard not to worry but I will try.  We go for his 2 year check up next month so I'll be sure to review that with the pedi.  

Congrats on the promotion Nov!  And congrats to Summer on baby #2!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Not quite caught up on all the posts either.. but I will try.  These new boards have been so annoying!

Northern - both my daughters liked the swing for naps.  Neither one of them ever napped in their crib during the day.  DD2 also slept in her rock-n-play at night until she was 7 or 8 months old (she spit up a lot, so that was the only thing that helped).  How did I not know about the rock-n-play when I had my first child?!  It was a lifesaver.  Just go through trial and error and stick with whatever works.  Sleep is sleep, especially in the early days.

Congrats on the promotion Novem and on expecting baby #2 summer!

As for me, DD1 is going to be 4 this summer, which is just crazy.  She is so fun.  DD2 is turning one in a few weeks!  Mailing out her party invites today actually.  Where did the year go!?  Although I'm SO ready to be done pumping at work.  Ugh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hang in there, Northern!

ALS and Chiclet - we're in the whole milk transition, too.  At first (a couple of weeks ago), DS seemed to think whole milk was delicious and amusing.  Now he's kind of angry at it.  So far I have been *mostly* successful at getting him to nurse (or have a bottle of pumped milk) only at wake up, once in the afternoon, and bed.  We've gotten rid of the mid-morning feed, and I'm trying to pre-empt him with other snacks at that time.

It will work itself out, but I am really all set with pumping at work.  I want to use the time to exercise, actually.  And my other worry is that I'm going away for two nights in June (mixed feelings about that!) and I thought I would be done pumping but now I'm not so sure since it's getting close... might invest in a manual pump as the time approaches!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Wow all of you ladies are saints!  Nice work Mama's.  Congrats on making it to a year or more!

Happy upcoming b-day to ALS DD2.  Have fun with the first birthday party.  I loved that day with my DS.  Can't wait for b-day number 2 in a quick month! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I've given in and accepted the fact that she needs movement to sleep so that's where she naps and sleeps right now. We moved her swing into our bedroom and that's where she naps and sleeps at night. Last night I got a 5 hr stretch and then a 2 hr stretch of sleep. At first I felt guilty because I felt like I should be able to get her to sleep in a bassinet because she did at one point and because other people can but then I realized sleep is sleep and we need sleep. I also started thinking 20 steps ahead and how am I going to get her out of the swing and what's it going to be like when I go back to work and she goes to daycare. Well, guess what? I have 5 weeks to figure that out, she may be passed that stage by 12 weeks and also, she's still little. I have to keep reminding myself she's only 7 weeks old. There's only so much I can expect of her. Stop rushing things and enjoy the snuggles before I go back to work and before she does get older and doesn't want to snuggle with us. 

Also, yes I have a moby Chiclet. I borrowed one from a friend of mine. I have put her in there for naps when we are out of the house and this past weekend when we had friends over. We were playing board games so it worked out to have both my hands free and she napped about 2hrs :-). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Northern, congratulations on the 2 hour nap!  And you are so right about enjoying the snuggles.  I love that DS can do so many fun things now and interacts so much, but I do sometimes miss when he would just want to be held.  He still likes to be held and snuggle, but he also spends a lot of the time trying to scratch my eyes out, pull my ears off, squeeze my cheeks, and/or jump out of my arms when he sees something he wants!  I had to take him to the ER recently (croup and bronchiolitis, he's fine, doctor's office was closed) and the only silver lining about the sickness and the waiting was that he snuggled in and took a nap in my arms.  Can't remember the last time that happened, and he was so sweet.

CLC, I have been really lucky with the pumping because I have a good space and a job that requires a lot of reading.  Not a saint!

I went in the bathroom at work the other day and there was someone in the handicapped stall pumping.  I was really torn about whether or not to call out to her and offer her a better place, or to just let her pump in peace.  I am guessing she was a visitor to our building and not a permanent employee, but I felt bad that she had to use the bathroom.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

We have a nice room to pump in too (it has a door that locks, a recliner and a sink - yay!) but sometimes I still pump in the bathroom. The nice room is on a different floor and sometimes I don't have enough time to go all the way down there. I scaled back to pumping once a day and next week I'm not planning to pump at all. I keep trying to tell myself that everything is going to be easier once I don't have to pump during the day. I won't have to worry if DS has enough milk at school, I won't have to take the time away from work... 

I'm lucky because my DS is a hug-monster. His favorite thing in the world right now is blowing kisses. It's the cutest thing. He also loves group hugs with Mommy and Daddy. He's the best.

Northern - Glad you getting some better naps in the swing and the Moby. The thing about babies is that they change so much that come 5 weeks from now, who knows how she'll be sleeping! She'll get used to sleeping at daycare too. My DS wasn't a very good napper at daycare until they started swaddling him for naps. It was smooth sailing after that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Northern - not that you need more baby gear but here's one item that was a savior for us!

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlider-Infant-Swing-Frame/dp/B000M4K4BY/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1399647612&sr=1-1&keywords=graco+car+seat+swing" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlider-Infant-Swing-Frame/dp/B000M4K4BY/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1399647612&sr=1-1&keywords=graco+car+seat+swing

DS also enjoyed movement to sleep but hated the expensive swing we got him (damn you MamaRoo).  This was perfect because it was small and we could transfer him from the car to the swing without moving him from the car seat.  It worked wonders for us.  

Chiclet - too funny to read about the group hugs.  My DS loves the same.  Whenever DH and I hug he needs to join in.  Adorable!  Also, enjoy your found time when the pumping goes away.  It actually relieved a lot of stress for me when I stopped pumping at work.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to NorthernLghts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've given in and accepted the fact that she needs movement to sleep so that's where she naps and sleeps right now. We moved her swing into our bedroom and that's where she naps and sleeps at night. Last night I got a 5 hr stretch and then a 2 hr stretch of sleep. At first I felt guilty because I felt like I should be able to get her to sleep in a bassinet because she did at one point and because other people can but then I realized sleep is sleep and we need sleep. I also started thinking 20 steps ahead and how am I going to get her out of the swing and what's it going to be like when I go back to work and she goes to daycare. Well, guess what? I have 5 weeks to figure that out, she may be passed that stage by 12 weeks and also, she's still little. I have to keep reminding myself she's only 7 weeks old. There's only so much I can expect of her. Stop rushing things and enjoy the snuggles before I go back to work and before she does get older and doesn't want to snuggle with us. 

Also, yes I have a moby Chiclet. I borrowed one from a friend of mine. I have put her in there for naps when we are out of the house and this past weekend when we had friends over. We were playing board games so it worked out to have both my hands free and she napped about 2hrs :-). 

[/QUOTE]

I can relate- when my DD was a young infant she loved to be held and napped mostly on us for many, many months. I'll admit it wasn't the easiest transition to crib naps (took til about 8- 9 months or so) and even now at almost 2 I still rock her to sleep most of the time. Like most of us, I'm a working mom and so I'm reluctant to give up any of my cuddle time at this point.

Happy early mother's day to all! Does anyone have any plans? We're hosting our immediate families for a BBQ on Sunday, and hopefully taking a trip to the aquarium tomorrow. My DH has been bugging me about what I want for mother's day, and I really can't think of anything I really want or need, so I finally decided on a family membership to the aquarium so I can take DD as much as I want over the summer when I'm off from work :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Happy belated Mother's Day.  I hope everyone had a wonderful day.  We really lucked out with the weather.  Couldn't have asked for a better day.  Just sorry to see it end!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

It's going to take awhile for me to catch up on posts -- Is there an easier way to find these than searching "forums?" I suppose I can bookmark, but I like having an easy navigation option! I am so sick of BDC. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

AHHHHH, help!  I think DD is about to climb out of her crib!  She's a total spider monkey all over the rest of the house, so I'm not sure why this hasn't happened sooner, but she now stands on one leg and gets her other foot on the top of the rail like a ballerina doing warm-ups.  I don't think she'd stay in the toddler bed if we converted it.  I can just imagine her hopping out to play, or pull clothes out of her closet.  Ugh!  Any advice (besides transitioning her into the dog crate)? Lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Nov - not sure I have any real advice, but we dropped DS's crib to the lowest possible setting.  The setting is actually really to move it to a toddler bed so it's about an inch and a half off the ground.  Totally not what the manufacturer intended but it works.  Just his little head is over the rail at this point.  Also, it took DS awhile to go from putting his foot up on the rail to actually hopping over.  For several months he would just put his foot up and then take it back down.  I think he was too scared to actually hop over for a long time.  And after he did hop over and get hurt he might not have tried it again.  We didn't take that chance but who knows!  Sorry this might not have been helpful at all!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We've had a language explosion at home.  DS is picking up more and more new words each day.  It's awesome! He only has a few phrases that he's pulled together but they are becoming more frequent.  Loving these new developments.  

On the flip side, man this kid is moody.  The hitting when he is getting tired is no fun.  He's also decided that as soon as he's finished eating everything else is to be thrown on the floor.  Any advice on getting him to stop doing that?  As soon as he does it once we remove everything from his tray and he has to sit through the rest of the meal without anything on his tray while we finish eating.  But each time we sit down it happens again.  The dog on the other hand is loving this new development! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

clc- thats awesome to hear about DS language but not sure any advice about the food throwing.  Sounds like you are doing the right thing taking it away.  

My DS is also talking a lot and starting to form sentences.  I love to see how his mind works.  When you ask if he did something, he will say "I do"!  Its the cutest.  Also, when I ask him what is name is he says "me"!  Love that too!  He also has been asking to go pee on the toilet.  So Ill put him on it and one drip comes out but at least he is interested!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DD loves giving orders. "Stand up, Mama!" and suddenly she is obsessed with the jogging stroller (we had put it out to the side for a while since she refused to go in it... and one day, she wanted to ride in it - and now marches around saying "stroller! stroller garage!" Big explosion of language and cute misprounciations.

DD is not really in midst of potty training, but with an older brother, one thing we are going to have to figure out is how to explain to her that he can stand and use the potty (or lean into his standup potty) and she can't. I catch her imitating him by leaning into the standup potty just like him. oops. She likes sitting on the potty so we let her when possible.

Sections
Shortcuts