May Updates - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

May Updates - Infants and Toddlers

I'll start the thread this month! 

My DD just turned 1!!  We had her birthday party this weekend and she had such a blast!  She had friends over and played and played, wore a princess dress and crown and LOVED her cake.  So cute!  My little baby is really growing up!

She also had her 12 mo appointment last week since her actual birthday was over Easter weekend.  She is 29-1/4" long and 18 lbs, so still skinny, which I really can't believe since she has an adorable belly and is decently chunky on her thighs.  Oh well!  She is loving feeding herself now and I think she eats a great variety. 

Still cruising around, we can't wait for those first steps!

Hope everyone else is well!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: May Updates - Infants and Toddlers

Nope.  No way.  Uh uh.  It can't be May because that means I have to go back to work soon.

Happy birthday Baby Trouble!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Fram - on the positive side, I found going back to work to be really what I needed.  It gave me the much needed adult/down time and now I appreciate work much more.  That being said I am working only 4 days so have the best of both worlds.  I am just hoping that you find it not so bad!

Congrats trouble on 1 year!

AFM - Seriously, I am so enjoying this time. DD is just a little angel 99% of the time.  We had her outside sitting while I was weeding on a blanket and she was happy for 2 hours until we brought her in for dinner.  She has two teeth now visible on the bottom.  She is now six months.  She can sit for hours on end without support but still has not rolled over from belly to back. She goes back to belly all the time and there in lies the problem.

I actually have an appt for the RE later this month.  I found the 1st month so very difficult and can't imagine doing it again but I really want her to have a sibling. 

I finally put the bouncy seats away.  Like so many other things in motherhood, I had angst and she didn't.  I just put a pack-n-play in our bedroom and should couldn't have been happier.  The full shower lives on!! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Trouble, Happy Birthday to your baby girl!

DD had her 2 month appointment today.  She's a happy, healthy girl, and she took the shots like a champ, but it was still heartbreaking for me!  It's funny...my whole pregnancy I was measuring small and the doctors were worried that DD would be tiny.  Well, she was a good size when she was born, and now she's 23.5 inches and 12.9 pounds!  She's very proportional and not chunky, but she looks like a 4 month old!

She's smiling, laughing, and cooing up a storm now, which I love.  She's also started doing open-mouth kisses...when I lean in to kiss her she opens her mouth as wide as she can and it's so stinking cute!

Fram, I agree with luck; going back to work wasn't bad at all.  I only took 5 weeks off and I thought it would be really hard to come back, but like she said it's nice to have the adult time.  You appreciate both work and time with your baby so much more.  I'm lucky enough to work 5 minutes from home and I get out at 3, so I still get a lot of good quality time with DD every day. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Pugs I love the open mouth kisses, so cute!

I can't believe that DD is 7 months old already!  Time absolutely flies!  She is growing and changing with leaps and bounds.  It feels like she is doing or learning something new every day.  Just in the past two weeks she learned how to scream (for fun, high-pitched), blow raspberries, clap her hands, play peek-a-boo, get up on all fours and rock, and creep on the floor.  She is so strong and busy, constantly trying to move and reach things.  Such a curious little monkey!

We are having some feeding issues, which seem to be partly related to said "busyness."  She is having trouble nursing and is even at time having trouble taking a bottle, to the point that her daily ounce intake has dropped a fair amount.  Distractibility has been an issue with her since about 5 months old, and now it's really interfering to the point where she will only nurse when very tired just prior to sleep. It has been very frustrating for me, because I'm having to pump on days when I'm home with her....obviously not something I want to do.  It's also sad because it makes me worry that our BF'ing relationship is in jeopardy of ending sooner than later, and I had hopes of going strong for the long haul.  I'm hoping she will return with renewed love for BF'ing....
    Anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?

She still does great with her auntie who takes care of her 4 days a week while we are at work.  I am starting to think about the issue of "socializing" her and when/if that is necessary (ie. putting her in daycare a couple days a week).  She doesn't get much exposure to other babies, and certainly won't have too many friends to invite to her first birthday party at this rate!!  Mostly kidding, but I do want to make sure I expose her to other kids and new experiences since she is somewhat sheltered with the one-on-one childcare.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Jewel, I am thinking the same exact thing re: socialization.  My MIL watches DS 5 days a week.  So he has a lot of socialization with a 63 year old... and the occasional visit from his 8 year old cousins... but otherwise, no babies.  And when we do visit my friend who has a 2 yr and a 6 mth, he is all smiles.  So I know he'd love to see other little ones more often.  The deal with my MIL was fulltime for one year, so I am now just starting to research daycares that we can do for 2 or 3 days a week starting after the summer.  MIL could still watch him as I know she wants, but also get the new friend base (and some learning) that daycare can provide.

And totally agree that every day is something new.  DS is 6 1/2 months and seems like last week he couldn't sit, now he is sitting.  He loves to pick up toys in front of him when sitting too.  No teeth yet but my goodness they must be right there as the drool is obscene!  And everything goes in the mouth!

Trouble - happy birthday to your lovely 1 year old little lady.  Since my DS was sick all last week, we had some doctor's visits where he was weighed as well.  He is just under 19 lbs and 29 inches!  We bought a car seat as the bucket is close to dislocating my arm!

I'm also noticing one heck of a personality.  DS very much knows what he wants and when he wants it.  And he's starting to realize things still exist when he drops them or we walk out of the room.  And we may see a wave soon... he's fascinated by moving his wrists and fingers!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Trouble, congrats on the 1st..What a fun time. In continuation from my April updates.  We put DD in the big girl bed Friday night.  For the most part she has done pretty well.  She has been falling asleep in our bed and we have transferred her.  For the most part she stays in till early early morning so we have just been letting her in our bed.   This is actually easier than I thought. I figured we would be up all night trying to get her to stay in.   We will work on her falling asleep in there shortly but ill take the 8 hour stretch in there right now.  Also, we have been getting her to fall asleep in the 8’s instead of the 9’s.  We are starting the nightly routine a little earlier.   I am glad we will have her comfortably in the bed a few months before DS is born. Thanks again everyone for the tips on behavior.  We always have been pretty good about praising DD and having us help her out.    For example, yesterday I was in the yard picking up sticks and she thought it was great helping me pick them up even if she was finding ones I could barely see and kept referring to them as baby sticks J.     I think I am pretty much overreacting to DD behavior issues because my patience is really starting to wear thin the more pregnant I get and the hotter it gets outside.  I have been taking deep breaths and not letting them get to me as much!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: May Updates - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]We are having some feeding issues, which seem to be partly related to said "busyness."  She is having trouble nursing and is even at time having trouble taking a bottle, to the point that her daily ounce intake has dropped a fair amount.  Distractibility has been an issue with her since about 5 months old, and now it's really interfering to the point where she will only nurse when very tired just prior to sleep. It has been very frustrating for me, because I'm having to pump on days when I'm home with her....obviously not something I want to do.  It's also sad because it makes me worry that our BF'ing relationship is in jeopardy of ending sooner than later, and I had hopes of going strong for the long haul.  I'm hoping she will return with renewed love for BF'ing.... Anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?
    Posted by jewelsagem[/QUOTE]

Jewels, this is totally normal and happens with most babies -- my daughter did it too, and we didn't wean until she was 18 months. Around 5-6 months she started popping on and off, fussing, getting distracted, waving her arms and hitting, or turning her head while latched (ouch!). A lot of women buy nursing necklaces to keep the baby occupied. I usually gave my daughter a small book or a toy to look at (a rubiks cube worked well). The thing that worked best for her were these Frajen facecloths from Ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60159247 -- she liked to work her fingers over the rough weave and stare at the black lettering and washing instructions on the tag (she still sleeps with "clothy" -- it's her comfort object thing). Nursing while walking was also a lifesaver around this time -- I'd pop her into the carrier to take a walk or go to the store, and she'd nurse and look around.

You might also experience a nursing strike in the next few weeks -- the baby refuses to nurse at all for days or even up to a couple weeks! But this is normal too and NOT the same as self-weaning, which happens around or after one year. When my daughter went on strike I would sneak in to dream nurse her at night or early morning, and we made it through.

This 5-6 month mark is the toughest time for nursing -- your baby is starting to develop a personality and part of that involves resisting what she thinks you want her to do. But once you make it through, you enter the golden age where nursing becomes a mutual act -- the baby uses that time to show love for you, and will gaze into your eyes and pop off to kiss and hug you, and she'll carress you with her tiny paw and make happy noises while she nurses. It's amazing. I used to get these huge oxytocin rushes that would wash over my entire body and leave me feeling so happy about the world and my family and everything. It's such a special time for mommies and babies. So hang in there!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

YAY QUAD!

My daughter was "helping" me last weekend in the yard and garden too. I bought her some little tools, so she was out there digging away and pushing dirt around.

I just remembered some more good nursing toys: Ikea finger puppets!
    People: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70159341
    Animals: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90159340

I keep a bunch of these on the changing table too. They came in really handy during the diaper-resisting phase.

You think the nursing-resistant phase is rough? Wait until you experience diaper resistance. Holy mother of misery.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD LOVES Finger Puppets.  Just got her a frog one at carters over the weekend and has not put it down.

Funny you mentioned diaper resistance.  Yesterday morning she did not want her diaper on so I gave her the option to put on underwear.  She picked out which ones she wanted, I put them on, gave her the speech about being a big girl and telling mommy and daddy when she had to go.  I left the room to clean some dishes, looked back in the living room and low and behold a puddle of pee.  Needless to say she put the diaper right back on.  I wish I could get her potty trained by the time the baby was born but just dont think she is ready. I dont think she can hold it yet.  well see!  That will be the next thing I need help with because I am not sure I even know where to begin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Happy birthday, baby Trouble!

Jewels, I will second what Lemon said about the nursing distractibility phase.  We definitely had that and it was driving me bonkers.  But now (just barely 9 months), it is greatly improved.  Still distracted sometimes, especially in new places or when the fun person known as DADDY is around!  But in general it got much better and easier again.

We are in the same place as others here regarding daycare and socialization.  My mother watches her 3 days each week, and no outside daycare.  In the fall, we are looking for group daycare 2 days/week and my mom 2 days/week.  This is mostly motivated by me needing 4 days to get my work done, but I think the group setting will be good for her as well.  I have noticed that a lot of other babies her age are much more rough and tumble with each other, and her reaction is more like, "why are there other tiny people?  why are they pulling my hair?  bring me back to my own land of peace!"

We are doing well, but had another night terror last night.  SO hard to watch, and scary.  I know it's not going to hurt her, but it's still scary.  :(

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

at 26 months, DD's language is growing by leaps and bounds, which is very fun.  She's getting more adept at some of the physical stuff she was average in (she's always been very verbal), like balancing on one leg, throwing a ball overhand, and running like a kid instead of a toddler.  She's not great at catching at all and gets frustrated very easily but she's pretty good at kicking so we do a lot of "soccer."  Just being able to play outside without layers and layers of clothing is such a relief!  She's started to become fascinated with synonyms, words like "huge' and "gigantic" for big.  She's also started calling my husband by his real name.  At first it was because she thought they were interchangeable (everyone else calls him by his name and no one else calls him daddy, after all) but now that she understands it bothers him and so she will call "come here, Adam!" from the living room and then laugh and laugh.  It's driving him crazy haha.  Yesterday we were trying to get out of the house in the morning and I asked him "did you lock the door, babe?" and she laughed and said "go to work, babe!" 

I'm really looking forward to the summer!  I teach so I will get a chance to be with her more and really enjoy her.  I'm planning on toilet training as soon as I"m done with school.  I was getting all sentimental last night when I realized that this time last year I was thinking about how I was going to wean her as soon as I was done with school.  In one year she's grown SO much!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] She's also started calling my husband by his real name.  At first it was because she thought they were interchangeable (everyone else calls him by his name and no one else calls him daddy, after all) but now that she understands it bothers him and so she will call "come here, Adam!" from the living room and then laugh and laugh.  It's driving him crazy haha. 
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

My husband encourages the first-name thing. It makes him feel like Atticus Finch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD calls myself and DH by first names when we are not payin attention to her.  Then immediatly burst into an hysterical laughter. She knows shes wrong but it gets our attention.  I do the same to my mom :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: May Updates - Infants and Toddlers : My husband encourages the first-name thing. It makes him feel like Atticus Finch.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

My husband used to call her "Scout" when she wore overalls as an infant.  He doesn't seem to be amused now Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Happy 1st bday to your DD Trouble!

DS is nearing 7 weeks and has a hunger that I just can't satisfy.  I will nurse him for as long as he wants then a few minutes later he will start screaming and will take a bottle.  He is doing good stretches at night and I'm hoping for more that 2 hours during the day.  Anyone know about how much they were producing around this time?  I am at about 4oz when I pump and that is not satisfying him - big boy!

Quad, glad to hear that things went well with the bed transition.  DD also loves to be my helper - if she doesn't want to do something I'll say "I thought you were mommy's helper" and she jumps into action, its very cute.  DD also will call my Dad by his first name, I crack up every time! 

We got a swingset today - its the best thing ever!  We normally frequent the park but with a new baby its great to be able to just go back into the yard.  After it was all set up it was just after dinner, she went out to the swing for over 45 minutes and was just in heaven!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

DD had her 1 month appt yesterday - she weighed in at an impressive 9.2lbs! Considering she dropped to 6.6 while she was in special care for jaundice...this is an awesome weight gain! She still looks like a peanut though, to me. 

that's my only update, my brain is still too much mush to concentrate on anything for long - hope everyone is doing well. :-) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

KT- We got a bunch of outside stuff off craigslist for the same reason.  I want to be able to take DD outside and play once DS is born.  We have a fenced in yard which makes it even easier for me.   We got all plastic little tykes stuff.  5 peices for like 80 bucks.  It is all in great shape to! Most of the stuff was never used outside which is great. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

So happy to hear stories of success with nursing after the distracted time!  It's amazing how personally you take it when the baby doesn't want to nurse.  I never expected the emotional roller coaster with nursing, but it really has been one thing after the other.  Knowing there is a 'golden age' on the other side is so encouraging....those oxytocin rushes are the most amazing feeling! 

It sounds like others are putting their LOs into daycare part time around a year old?  For those of you who did not do any daycare, do you wish you did? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My twins are 21 months old and finally starting to talk a little more.  DD seems to get a new word every day.  DS is still only at about 15 words - but I know he understands so he'll get there.  As some of you know, my kids have moderate hearing loss and wear hearing aids.  The fact that they are speaking more is a huge relief to me. Getting them to wear the aids is still a struggle every day - DS has broken his 2x in the last 2 weeks.  I just keep plodding along the best that I can.  Their SLP says I'm doing fine - so I try not to stress too much.
    They are eating great too!  Got everyone to eat broccoli the other day - hooray!!
    Had to start putting the sleepsacks on backwards because they were taking them off and I worried about them getting cold AND trying to crawl out of the crib.  Not looking forward to any bed transition at this point.
    Love hearing about everyone's LO's - reading about the infants brings back such memories!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the reassurance about daycare, Luck and Pugs!  I'm not looking forward to it, but I know that 20% of me will enjoy being back at work.  Taking care of an infant all day is exhausting! 
    We found a daycare last week.  I was stressing because I only found TWO daycares with openings (well four, but the others were too expensive), but I have a good feeling about this woman.  DD had her 2 month appt last week.  She's measured 23 inches (or was it 23 1/2?) and 11 lbs 4 oz.

My brother's wife got enduced at midnight last night, so DD will have her first girl cousin any time now!

***I didn't want to start a new thread about stupid baby monitor issues, but I could really use some input.  We have a basic Sony monitor.  It's supposed to be good for urban environments with lots of cordless phones, cell phones, etc.  You can put it on two settings - one listens in on the baby constantly and one is voice activated.  We don't like the first option because you hear constant white noise/static.  The second option is kind of weird... the baby's noises activate it, but you don't really hear the baby's noise.  You hear a spurt of static after the baby's noise.  It drives me crazy!!!  If I were hearing the baby's actual coos and grunts, I could go back to sleep, but this static noise jars me awake.  I don't get any sleep if I sleep with DH in our room, but I can't sleep in the baby's room forever.
    Are all monitors like this or do we just need a different monitor??  I would really appreciate your input ladies.  I am exhausted and feeling really overwhelmed today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Fram, I'm not sure how comfortable you'd be with it, but we don't use a baby monitor at all.  DD's room is right across from ours so her crib is probably only about 10 steps from our bed.  We just leave both bedroom doors cracked open.  We have a video monitor, but when we used it I wouldn't sleep -- I'd be watching her constantly and every noise would wake me up.  I think it works out so much better for us when we don't hear every little coo and grunt, but can easily hear her if she whines or cries.

I totally understand if you're more comfortable with the monitor, in which case I'd say you probably need a new one.  The sound on ours is always very clear and we don't hear any static, so all monitors are definitely not like that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Good suggestion, Pugs... but I should add that we have to keep the bedroom doors closed to keep the cat out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Just like Pugs, we don't use the volume on the monitor at night. With our first, I slept in her room with her for 8 weeks. The first night I was back in my own bed, I had the monitor on but realized I could hear her without it.  So I shut off the monitor and opened our doors a crack.  Otherwise, I would have gone crazy.  If DD was being exceptionally loud and talkative at 4 in the morning I even closed both doors on a few occasions.  I could still hear her cry even with the doors closed if she really wanted/ needed me.

With the three kids all in the same room now (and the door closed to keep 2 y/o DD who is in a big girl bed from wandering), we turn the volume off on the video monitor but when a noise wakes me up I can easily check the video to see who's awake and if they really need me or are just talking. We do leave our door cracked open so I can hear crying/talking kids.

It all depends on your comfort level. 

We had some issues with static/white noise with the video monitor originally but we've since moved the part that lives in the nursery to a different location and now no static (although we've still got the humidifier going in there for a white noisy affect and that comes through loud and clear on the monitor).  So you could try moving the base, maybe?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

We don't use a monitor either - Our bedrooms are close enought that even with doors closed I could hear everything.  Ours lights up and that drives me crazy but would it work for you?  If you keep the volume low and just be sensitive to the light?