May Updates - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: May Updates - Infants and Toddlers

ajuly i'm still waiting for the long stretches of sleep! She's 6 weeks now...I honestly don't see it happening for me anytime soon. 

At night, DH feeds her a bottle and she is pretty good about going 3 1/2 - 4 hours to the next feeding, but 2 1/2 - 3 hours for every other feeding. During the day she's anywhere from 2-3. She takes 4oz in her bottle. I think if he seems satisifed with 2, it should be fine but I would expect in the next couple of weeks he'll start needing more - but I think he'll let you know when that happens. :-) 

So, I have started pumping and bottling more than breastfeeding and so far it is much less stressful, at least overnight. I am still breastfeeding her during the day while i'm home b/c I don't really see any reason not to and it is a bit of a challenge to pump during the day when I'm home alone. But at night and early morning it was becoming too much with the spitting up, trying to get her back to sleep, and her choosing really bad times to be wide awake. the bottle seems to a.) get her to sleep longer - by longer I mean 2 hours instead of 1. and b.) is much quicker so in turn, I also get more sleep and things go much more smoothly. 

I still want to breastfeed, and I will a few times a day, but since I seem to have this overactive letdown/oversupply issue, the excessive spit-up was getting to be too much. I figure since I'll be doing this when I go back to work anyway, there's no harm in doing it now. 

I have my 6 week postpartum appointment today and I'm terrified. I still feel sore sometimes - the thought of a doctor going in there makes me cringe. :-( Was anyone else still sore after 6 weeks? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I was nervous for my 6 week postpartum appointment, too.  In particular, I thought my doctor would think I didn't have my act together because I felt like I didn't have my act together.
    I have since come to find out that NOBODY has their act together at 6 weeks postpartum!
    Be not worried -- they will be kind to you and help you with any questions you have about the physical recovery.

ajuly - I think the short answer on the bottle question is that the baby will tell you if they want more than 2 ounces.  And I know it's tough with the 2-3 hour stretches at night.  I can remember putting the baby back to bed at, say, midnight and saying "OK, Mommy will give you a dollar if you sleep until 3 AM!"
    The good news is that this will not last long...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ajuly - I haven't remembered to ask the ped or LC, but other moms on here explained that the # of ounces depends on the baby's weight.  You multiply the weight by 2 and divide by the # of feedings, so it sounds like 2-2.5 ounces would be good for your DS.  If you think he's still hungry, you could try another half ounce, but it was also explained to me that BF'ed babies may just want to suck longer because they're used to working harder on the breast.

Of course I would never hold out on DD if she were hungry, but I've been conservative about increasing the # of ounces because I don't want to feed her so much that I can't keep up.  She gets one bottle a day to prepare for daycare.  She's around 12 lbs now and eats 6 times, so I started to feed her 4 ounces last week... But I don't usually get 4 ounces when I pump.  Oh well!  Hopefully it will all work out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Ajuly - If DS seems like he is still hungry I'd try increasing by a 1/2 ounce at a time.  At one month DS was sleeping about the same stretches as yours - suddenly over the last month he is doing much longer stretches at night and its fabulous (also we do formula at night so that goes into the stretches) but he went from going 2 hours during the day to 3+ which feels like a huge difference. 

AFM DS is soo darn cute and fat, he has his 2 month appt this Friday and I can't wait to see how big he is.  He has started smiling much more frequently, cooing, and even starting a laugh - I can;t get over how cute he is.

DD is doing really well out of daycare, we have fallen into a great routine and she is quite happy.  Today she just made my heart melt when she gave one of her friends a hug and kiss goodbye, it was so sweet.

For anyone on the South Shore with toddlers, I went to Imagination Island in Plymouth today, it was really clean and DD (who is 2) had a super time.  I have also been going to Tot Plex and Ellis Gym in Braintree - they have open gym a few times a week for $5.  Anyone else have any fun activities for toddlers? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Two questions please.
    1) DS (7mths) went down as usual with no problems around 7pm last night.  Usually he sleeps through to about 2am, needs a paci and a quick head rub and he's back down until 5-5:30.  Last night at 8:30pm he woke up screaming.  He's done maybe twice before, I've picked him up, comforted him and he's relaxed.  Last night, nothing comforted him and he screamed like he was terrified and/or hurt.  We did everything; checked all body parts, changed diaper, tried to nurse, gave 2oz in bottle, rocked, sang, etc.  45 minutes later he finally got sleepy enough to go back in his crib (still crying, just not as bad and was out in 2 mins).  My initial thought was a night terror.. but 45 minutes?  Could it be teething?  I did give him tylenol after 20 mins of crying.  Not sure if that is what kicked in 20 mins later?  THoughts?  Experience with this?

2) Any of you on the mini-pill?  I've been since end of November, so about 6 mths now.  Doc told me it was unlikely I'd get AF since its a 4 week pill, no placebo week.  I did after 2 months.  And boy do I ever.  Heavier than ever in my life.  Haven't really been paying attention to dates, seems to be about ever 4 weeks, but I just got it again 2 1/2 weeks after the last.  Should I just chaulk it up to body being still somewhat strange and on this new pill... or worth a call to the doc?  We'll probably start TTC again Aug/Sept... so I'm willing to stop at the end of this cycle and use condoms for a few months if a better option to be a bit more regular/not as heavy.

Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

IPW so weird we had the EXACT same thing happen last night!!!  I know it's a full moon tonight, so maybe that's it?!  DD (7.5 months) went down no problem at 7:30 then woke up at 8:30 screaming, seemingly terrified, and couldn't settle and go back down until 10, which is very unlike her.  We have also had two instances in the past week where she has woken early like this, but could go back with nursing and comforting. 
    It seemed like she was just really scared, but I also thought it might be teething....
    Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this around this time.  Could it just be part of the developmental leaps and bounds going on at this age?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

KT - Thanks for the heads up on those activities!  I will definitely check them out. 
    Our friend has recommended "open play" times at Backyard Adventures in Braintree and at Creative Playthings in Pembroke, although we haven't gotten there yet.  They are around $7 or $8 I think.  My gym - Mamas Move in Norwell - has a play area that's like $7 for non-members... its ok, not fabulous, though, but good for a rainy day.  I really like the Easton Children's Museum (had DS' bday there) but you have to pay for adults, too unlike some of these other activities.  They do offer a AAA discount and i think you can also get tix through local libraries.    Also, for free fun, there's a couple of really great playgrounds in Hingham.  There's one on Main St. behind a firehouse that is fenced in and it is sooo convenient when toting an infant with the toddler. 
    I love reading everyone's updates!  AFM, I'm heading back to work to my new position on Monday and have mixed feelings.  I'm excited to get the ball rolling at work, but apprehensive about leaving DD and my enhanced responsibilities.  We have a trip to Storyland planned in the summer and Beaches in Nov to help break up the pressure from the new job and give us some family fun time to look forward to. 
    DD is just such a great little baby.  She is completely on formula now as I used my last frozen bag of pumped milk yesterday and seems to be adjusting fine.  We are using Good Start Protect again and we are very happy.  All along (with my milk or formula) she was doing a lot of arching and gulping and pedi ended up giving us Zantac for reflux and that's improved things a lot.  I also noticed her head favoring one side a lot and it was hard to reposition her, so pedi gave us some stretches for torticullis and that did the trick... the little flat spot has corrected and she turns both ways.  No PT needed thankfully.  She is very alert now, cooing and laughing lots, and definitely starting to like some of her toys.  Sleep is slightly confusing - she gets tired around 7 and either goes 2 hrs then 6 hrs for feeds, or she'll go 8 hrs, feed, and then sleep until the AM.  No pattern has appeared regarding how much she eats/sleeps during the day impacting what she does at night.  DS slept 9hrs and didn't awake for feedings at this point,  doing 6 feedings during the day.  DD is definitely a bit more of a grazer (2.5-4oz at feedings) where DS was at 5oz per feeding early on, so that is likely why she needs a few more feedings. 
    DS adjusted really well to his sister and we are in a groove.  He has suddenly taken a bit more of an interest in potty training, although we aren't quite ready to go full force.  But things are moving in the right direction.
    I'm in a little bit of a BC dilemma.  Was planning on paragard IUD (no hormone, so hopefully less migraines) but with my insurance not covering it, I just don't want to sink $$ into it to potentially have side effects and have to get it removed.  I'm contemplating going back on my old standard pill, Apri, and dealing with the headache on placebo days 2 and 3.  I have an appt with the OB today to discuss it.  Any advice out there?  I think we are done, but I just can't mentally commit to a permanent procedure just yet. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

IPW it could be teething.  They say the worst part of the day for teething is night when all the pressure just builds up.  Check his gums for inflammation.  My oldest never woke up at night and when she was teething you would have never known it.  I hope it was just a fluke.

DD#1 is quickly approaching 18 months, she amazes me more and more.  She is talking more and becoming more and more independent!  She also loves her little sister more than anything in the world which is such a lovely thing!  DD#2 is 4.5 months now, cant get over how quickly it all goes by.  She was 14.5lbs and 25.5inches.  Im noticing she is quickly growing out of her 6 month clothes.  She is the happiest baby ever.  I swear DD#1 was a fantastic baby, but she is better.  She doesnt want to be a baby, she wants to be on the move.  Im tryin to teach her to roll over, she loves her exersaucer and playmat. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

IPW my 12 month old does that periodically and has done it for a few months now.  Some say night terrors due to increased visual memory, some say teething, some say cold/allergies - probably a bit of everything depending on the night.  Just an inconsolable screaming bit - awful for you yet the baby seems untouched once it is done.  He has not eaten at night for a while so we try to give just H2O in a bottle to calm him down and it seems to help as he gets dry after the crying and screaming.
    As for your "friend".  Mine have been super heavy for 24 - 48 hours everymonth since having ds.  My Dr said it can take a year and a half for your body to return to normal and the heavy times are starting to shorten in duration.   But it did not occur immediately after birth it was a few months in ( I pumped exclusively for 2.5 months so this could be why it took a bit to kick in).  I am not on any type of bc other than a condom though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

When I put DS down he was on one end of his crib and when I went to get him this morning he was in the middle of his crib facing a different direction, he busted free of his swaddle wrap and his arms were hanging out.  He's only 4 weeks! Didn't know he'd be able to move so much in his crib this early. Time to take out the stuffed animals on the other side of his crib. Oh and maybe bust out the miracle blanket that I was going to return...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Those of you whose kids might be having night terrors -- check out Ferber's Sleep Problems book. The section on night terrors is very interesting and reassuring. Basically the kid is just getting stuck between sleep cycles, and appears to be awake and upset when he's actually asleep and totally unaware of what's going on. My daughter doesn't have sleep terrors, but she does sit up in the night, open her eyes, sway around, and talk or sing. It's similar (but much more pleasant for the parent) to what happens during night terrors. My bff's daughter had night terrors and they eventually passed. I had them myself as a baby, and I had no idea until my mom mentioned it a few months ago. So obviously it isn't something that will scar the kid. But I imagine it's incredibly disturbing for the parents.

That said, it could just be babies being babies. My daughter did a fair share of middle-of-the-night screaming and carrying on. It might have been teething, or gas, or a belly ache, or a bad dream. Until they can talk, there's just no way to know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Jewel - how was your night last night?  Ours was as usual... no problems going to sleep, quick awake with forehead rub at 12am and then up for good at 5:15am.  No screaming or terrors. Perhaps it was a full moon thing :-)  
    Austen - thanks for the thoughts on AF.  I think I'm going to stop the mini pill this cycle (my insurance is telling me I need to start doing mail order anyways, which I don't have patience to set up right now).  We'll see what happens after a month or two off.  Oh joy... condoms!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

We didn't have as much luck as you IPW!  I think it's a developmental thing - she didn't go down until 9:30, which hasn't happened since she was in the early weeks!  She cried and cried until I finally took her downstairs to play - that's all she wanted to do!  We had ruled out every possible cause of her being upset, and in the end she just didn't want to go to bed.  She did sleep once finally down, but woke and cried out a few times. 
    I'm sure like everything else, this will pass! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I hear you ajuly!  I find DD diagonal or sideways all the time, but not quite at the other end.  Probably going to take the bumpers off soon since she moves so much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

So sorry Jewel!  While it is so cute that they are just loving the new world around them.... 9:30 is MOMMY's bedtime... not LO's!  I'm sure you were thinking the same thing :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Jewel and IPW - DS does this sometimes too.  I figure its all the things he is doing/working on.  He also sits up, cries, and then lays back down and like Lemon said he appears to be asleep the entire time.  I do wonder if the full moon had anything to do with it as DS did it for two nights in a row and then last night was fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: May Updates - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]So sorry Jewel!  While it is so cute that they are just loving the new world around them.... 9:30 is MOMMY's bedtime... not LO's!  I'm sure you were thinking the same thing :-)
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]

I am really trying to get used to this new bedtime!!  All week I've gone to bed at like 11 despite the fact that I want to practice for going back to work and sleep from 10-5:45.
    Then there is the fact that DH misunderstood my plan... Instead of waking ME up by 6 to take a shower, he woke up DD and brought her in to say good morning to Mama.  Gotta love him!

(He made up for it though... I couldn't figure out why I hadn't rec'd the diapers I ordered from amazon.com... So I called the post office and it turns out DH stopped the mail because there is a surprise coming for me :o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

ajuly.. my DS was the same way!  he busted out of his swaddle by 4 weeks and he's now 3 1/2 months and i constantly find him sideways in the crib in the morning (or on the monitor).. he's a squirmer!!  I think i should take the bumpers out now maybe??  that's all that is in the crib with him anyway.  I found that for swaddles, his fleece swaddle me keeps him in longer before busting out.. and the miracle blanket keeps him in longer now that the weather is warmer and he doesn't need the fleece swaddle as much (although we did use it the last couple nights).  he still gets out of it, but not as quickly or as much!  the jersey/lightweight swaddle mes are useless for our DS except for his naps.. he breaks out of them within seconds!  He def NEEDS to be swaddles still though - I do know that!!!  its the arms that wake him!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Fra- your DH and mine sound alike, I could see mine doing something like that and not understanding what I meant!   oooh and I wonder what your gift is!? 

Jan- I want to use the miracle blanket, but I don't want to wake DS with all the movement it takes to get them in it, that's why I stopped swaddling with our swaddle blankets.  I'll have to test out a nap w/o swaddling at all and see how long it lasts. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: May Updates - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I found that for swaddles, his fleece swaddle me keeps him in longer before busting out.. and the miracle blanket keeps him in longer now that the weather is warmer and he doesn't need the fleece swaddle as much (although we did use it the last couple nights). 
    Posted by Jan2010bride[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering what other people put on their LOs under the fleece swaddles.  I'm sure it varies based on the weather and people's houses, but I'm curious.  Right now DD has on a onesie, a terry cloth outfit, and the fleece swaddle me.  She doesn't seem to get overheated in that when the weather is appropriate, but her room is on the cool side.  She has worn only a onesie under it when the weather was nicer.

I didn't get too many bites on my other thread (understandable because I revived it about 5 times!), but am wondering what other people did to introduce their LOs to daycare.  DD's first full day is next Wednesday.  Today I dropped her off for 2+ hours so she could play/nap/take a bottle.  On either Monday or Tuesday, I'll drop her off for a half day.  Does that seem like enough??  Should I drop her off again tomorrow or Friday?

She didn't really nap today... The daycare provider thought she didn't like her swaddle, so after some fussing, she fed her a bottle and then DD fell asleep in her arms.  I guess I need to reiterate that DD does need the swaddles to sleep?  She fusses for a few minutes, but so far won't nap without them on.  I am so worried!!  Can you tell I don't handle change well?  Deep down I know the daycare provider and DD will find their groove, but you know how it is!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMD62. Show JMD62's posts

It's been awhile since my daughter started day care, so I can't remember all the details, but we did something similar to you.  The first day she went for a couple hours, just to get used to the new environment and people, the next day she went for maybe half a day, and then I think it was full days from there on out.  You could do a short stint today or tomorrow if it would make you feel better, or, since the weekend will intervene anyway, just do a couple of half days on Monday and Tuesday, in prep for a full day on Wednesday.  The first days were rough (more for us than for her), but she adapted really quickly.  It's a hard transition, but before you know it you'll all adjust and day care will just be part of the routine.  Good luck!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Fram, I def recommend getting daughter there as much as you can.  I did not introduce DD to the babysitter and she was misreable for the first few weeks and I was misreable at work. I actually thought the sitter was going to tell me she could not watch her.  I wish that I had dropped her off a few times before my leave was over. I will make sure I do this when DS is born.    Now DD loves it there and hates when I get there to pick her up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Fram, in answer to both questions:

Over the winter I had DD in a onesie, cotton sleep n play and a fleece sleep sack.  Now I've started down to the onesie and the fleece only.  Hope that helps!

And on day care. As hard as it is, you have to let go of control a little.  You are going to have a harder time adapting than she is...she's going to be having fun with the other kids and seeing and learning new things, while you're at work either feeling guilty that you don't miss her as much as you should, or wishing like crazy that you were with her (I tend to alternate between the two, but I'm getting better!)

They take great care of her, and have gotten to know her personality and work within it. I know in the first week, I called 2-3 times a day, but then realized that every time she was on the phone with me, she wasn't with my daughter!  And when I pick her up every day, we talk about how she did, what worked, what didn't, how she behaved, all of that.   They change her diaper more than I do!  And she gets a new outfit for every spit up or teeny stain on a onesy.  I've also found that my daughter has gotten into such a better schedule from being in daycare...not that they enforce a schedule, but that there is some baby peer pressure! 

Good luck!  I found when I first went back to work and she was in "school", I was as tired as I was when she was first born.  This parenthood thing isn't what I thought it would be at all, between feeling pulled in a million directions, wanting to be with DD and DH, not feeling like you're doing a great job at any of your jobs.  But it does get better.  You all get into a routine and you figure out what works.  And this is the new normal...until it changes again!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

fram - we use various types of sleepers under the swaddle depending on the weather.  we have fleece sleepers, cotton sleepers, another material that feels terry cloth like and one that feels velour like..  we also have two sleepers that are lighter weight with no feet so on the really warm days we've put him in that and then the miracle blanket.  One really warm day we put him in a onesie under the swaddle and that was it.  This week has been so cool and raw that we've used the fleece sleeper again with either the terry cloth or cotton sleepers. 

So we've had two sleep through the nights.. one 3 weeks ago where he made it 9pm to 6am.. and one this past weekend where he made it 8pm to 5am.  Other than that he wakes pretty much just once a night between 1:30 and 4:30..  then he wakes between 5:30 and 8 for good..  I don't know why it creeped back up to 1:30 some nights.. we were pretty much at 3 or 4am for a while and then it's creeped back into the 1:30-2:30 time frame lately..   who knows what causes these changes. 

as for daycare we haven't had to use it yet but we will this fall and we plan to start him one day a week for the first week in mid August, then two days a week later in Aug, then 3 days a week as of Sept 1 which is what he'll be doing permanently.  the first few weeks will probably be a little shorter days to make sure he's getting adjusted.  I think he'll do ok.. it's more us!!  I've been back to work for just over 2 weeks now and he seems fine with who we've left him with when we've needed someone other than my husband (my mom, my sister, my cousin) and it's me that is missing him and constantly checking in..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Haven't read all posts yet, but...

IPW - Ditto, and ditto.

#1 - That's happened with us two or three times in the past month.  The first time we were so panicked that something was hurting her that we completely stripped her to check (which, of course, she did not appreciate).  Could not find anything wrong.  Did the same thing as you - gave her tylenol.  Eventually calmed down but, like you, it was about 45 minutes.  I can't explain it, I just constantly hope it won't happen again because it's traumatic for all of us.  Since it's only happened a couple of times, I didn't call the pedi.  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with a cause...

#2 - Yes, same.  I just had my period for about a week, then 2-2.5 weeks later I have it again!!  For me, the screwiness with my cycle seems to correspond with my drop in milk production... so I've been wondering if my hormones are just off.  I'm hoping my cycle will regulate over the next couple of months.  Haven't called dr.  Will be curious if you do what they say.