MBTA poll regarding strollers on buses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

MBTA poll regarding strollers on buses

The MBTA is considering a new policy that would require people to fold strollers before getting onto buses. This has got to be the most harebrained scheme I've ever heard. I personally don't take public transportation with my daughter -- I drive to the sitter's and then take the T to work. But I think this idea is totally discriminatory against low-income women. And it basically means that if you have more than one child under the age of two, you can't take the bus at all. Is one guaranteed a seat in exchange for the folded stroller, or will urban parents need to start stocking up on rock-climbing equipment in order to hold a stroller in one hand and a baby in the other without falling across someone's lap every time the bus takes a corner? And if you have twins, will the driver hold one of the babies for you? Maybe the MBTA can provide a baby rack in each bus, like the shuttles to and from the airport. We can just heap our babies into bins when we board the bus, and rely on the honor system to retrieve them when we disembark. Sure, it's a pain to get around a stroller on a crowded bus. But it's also a pain to get around a wheelchair, walker, granny cart, luggage or large bag, or seeing-eye dog. That's the price we pay for living in a society. If the MBTA wants less crowded buses, they should run them more frequently.

Anyway, the survey is on http://mbta.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Re: MBTA poll regarding strollers on buses

Ridiculous! It would be very awkward to hold a baby in one's arms, carry a folded stroller and carry any other belongings even if you were guaranteed a seat.  I don't even know if I could fold my stroller while holding DS. He's very heavy and wiggly.

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I voted on the survey.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I agree it would be a hardship for most people to do this. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I voted on the survey too and left a comment asking about the logistics of how one parent could manage to hold one or more children, fold the stroller, AND get on the bus safely. 

What asinine, childless person who has clearly never ridden a bus with kids came up with idea?  Probably the same person who would be the first to complain about  all the toddlers and preschoolers running loose on the bus while Mom attended to the recently-awakened, screaming infant she was holding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ditto - voted and left comment.  and forwarded to all of my friends.  thanks for posting, Lemon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I bet it was the 20 year old male intern who came up with this poll.

I let them have a piece of my mind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How do parents board the bus with their babies in a stroller in the first place - sounds very difficult either way.   Also, what do they mean by "request?"  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Yeah, and people in wheelchairs need to fold those once they get on board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: MBTA poll regarding strollers on buses:
    [QUOTE]How do parents board the bus with their babies in a stroller in the first place - sounds very difficult either way.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

You can get a small stroller through the front door, but with a larger stroller you have to  either pay up front and then go to the back door (and usually ask someone for help). Or you can board throught the back and then leave the baby with strangers and go up front to pay. It's a great system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I was thinking that it's (almost) hardly worse to be "requested" to fold it.  It's a nightmare all around as it is.  

Does anyone know if their request is just that or is it a euphamism for requirement?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone know if their request is just that or is it a euphamism for requirement?

Right now "request" seems to be a euphamism for "berate and shame" or "refuse entry to."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I just posted a notice about the poll to my 300+ member Mothers of Twins group.  I'm sure "a few" of them will have an opinion on this issue. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Lemon, I voted and left my comments and will pass this around my office.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Go moms! The cranks will outnumber us for sure, but maybe our reasonable voices will sound above the irrational ranting.

Your reasonable voices. The email I sent them was pretty ranty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

I can't believe this!  Voted and commented! It is funny while reading through some of the comments, some of the "yes" people said they would get up and give them their seat. NO ONE on the T gives a seat to a pregnant lady (as another post goes into detail)...and my thoughts are nor would they for someone struggling folding a stroller, holding onto a child, carring a diaper bag & a work bag...etc...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Practically no one gives anything up for a stranger anymore.  :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Practically no one gives anything up for a stranger anymore.  :(
    Particularly a stranger in need.

I didn't realize you could see the comments. I feel ill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Ugh, just looked back at the comments.  Obviously I did not read through all 2000+, but there are some very selfish people out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

How do you read the comments?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Click on the link that says something like "view detailed poll results" under the results.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Don't do it, Sarah.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The original poll link doesn't work anymore now that the survey is closed, and I couldn't find the archived polls.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Interesting that they closed the poll.  There was a quick mention of it on the news last night and they said the poll would be open for 2 weeks.  I wonder if they were overwhelmed with responses?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I just went to another computer and was able to take the poll again.  Weird that it showed me the results this time.  It didn't last time and just took me to the site where the poll was hosted.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I just took the poll as well and left my comments.  As of 3 minutes ago, 64% have voted no.

Sections
Shortcuts