Mom Style Blahs - Help?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Mom Style Blahs - Help?

As my second baby approaches her first birthday, the fog is lifting and I've recently realized that my aesthetic has become, shall we say, more shabby than chic.  A lot of jeans, ponytails, and sensible shoes.  Not that there's anything wrong with that look, but when it's accented with food and crust on the shoulders, it just doesn't feel good.

I don't need anything fancy.  I'm an active stay at home mom so practicality is important, I'd just like to feel a little more polished.   It seems like I'm stuck between innapropriately young style and inappropriately older ensembles.   

I'm thinking the warmer weather might make sundresses a simple solution, but I'm looking for other ideas, ideally afforable and machine washable.  Also simple, as there's not much time for primping with my hands full.  

I'm also looking for suggestions for shoes, since I tend to default to sneakers.  Any recommendations for stylish, but comfortable toddler chasing footwear?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Mom Style Blahs - Help?

I love my loafers. They have a lug sole instead of a leather bottom so they are great for running around. I find that shoes instead of sneakers instantly give my outfit a lift. Mine are Anne Klein and I got them at DSW two years ago.
    I also just got a pair of espadrilles at Zappos for the summer.
    I've switched out my jeans for khaki style trousers (dockers has some machine wash, no iron ones - I got them at Zappos, I think they are called Metro pants).
    And I got some cute tshirts or cotton sweaters at Land's End.
    I try and never leave the house without a little make-up - so I keep some cream blush and a lipstick near my purse or in the downstairs bathroom so I can put it on quickly if we're going out.
    I throw out anything that is stained or ripped or looks faded and worn. Basically I go for casual but put together.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I agree with a lot of Miss Lily said.  I recently had a WTH happened to me moment, but I work so it was even worse that I let myself go!  I *still* have about 10 lbs to lose and was still in my early maternity pants.  So I bit the bullet and bought pants 1 size up.  Ann Taylor loft has some really cute trouser jeans (that come in petite too if you're short like me, so no hemming needed).  The prices are very reasonable too and they tend to have sales.  I pair those with sweaters or long sleeve Ts.  I always wear heels to work, but at the weekend I like ballet flats.  I feel like they offer all the flexibilty of sneakers but look cute :)  I also agree with makeup.  I vowed always to wear makeup when leaving the house now.  I use the bare minerals and then a little mascara and lip gloss.  I also find straightening my hair makes me feel great too.  I do it after the kids have gone to sleep if I have the energy and I'm set for the next day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

For comfy shoes with a little style, I like Toms, Sperry's, and also my Converse sneakers. I also swear by a cute pair of black patent leather flats. (I've had good luck with both Sofft and Aldo.) Scarves or interesting jewelry are your friends. Just throwing on a scarf with a plain tee and pants automatically makes you feel more polished! The same goes for funky earrings, necklaces, and bracelets. A trench is also classic for Spring. You can't go wrong with with classic khaki, but a fun color would also brighten your look. I've seen good ones at both Old Navy and Lands End. As for jeans, a good pair of trouser jeans makes you seem more "dressed", even though you're still just wearing jeans. There's a good blog by a Boston mom about style on a budget-- Journeychic.com. Check it out for some inspiration.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Funny my 2nd just tuned one and I am now focusing on updating my clothes to things I feel good about myself in and are more stylish.

I try and buy things that I can dress up a little or I can wear and look nice at home.  I like to wear a tank with an open front sweater and a nice pair of jeans.  I usually stick with a comfy pair of flats, I like Me Too brand but in general I normally have luck at DSW.  I also like the Loft for tops and pants.  I like trouser jeans but I have to wear a wedge with those - and I recently discovered skinny jeans and I love those.  I also like wrap shirts, those are pretty flattering and forgiving.  I also try and always wear mascara and a little lipstick, I feel like that does wonders.

I would die to be able to wear a Maxi dress as it seems like that would feel like wearing PJ's but look really nice.  Sadly when I tried one on I looked fat and pregnant, so those are out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bare Escentuals mineral makeup takes me about 2 minutes to apply, is fool proof (after just a little practice), and gives a natural (not chemical) SPF 15.  I dust on foundation and blush in under a minute and spend the rest of the 2 minutes on an easy to apply creamy eye liner, mascara, and lipstick/gloss.  It totally makes a huge difference in my overall "look" no matter what I'm wearing. 

BE is on the expensive side up front, but it lasts a LONG time and doesn't go bad (except for mascara which harbors bacteria and needs to be replaced usually before it's gone).  There's a store in the Natick Collection on first floor of the high rent district on the corner of the hallway to the restrooms.  You'd probably spend $50 and be all set for a long time (except mascara).  I use their all-purpose "warmth" as blush, and I only use the amount that clings to the cover every time.  I've used the same container for over 3 years.

Makeup really does make you look more put together regardless of what you're wearing, and for 2 minutes you can't go wrong.  And, I find that BE gives you a totally natural but more polished look; you look like you but more put together.

Found this 2 minute BE application before and after.  It's very representative of the difference I see in myself after that much effort:

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Thank you, everyone!  These are really helpful ideas, and it sounds so much easier than I was imagining (sometimes even little things just seem so hard!).  I'm going to give some of these a try, asap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm still pregnant with our first LO but here are a few things that I thought I would add:

I love shopping at Target.  I have several of their cardigans and they last a long time and can be layered over the shirts and tanks that you already have and create another look.  I wear one to work almost every day. Also, I love their shoes - both flats and heels - they are cheap enough that I don't feel bad buying a few pairs every now and then.

As for jewelry, I wear the same staple pieces everyday and then switch up my necklace based on my outfit.  If I had to pick bracelets and earrings each morning I would never get out of the house.  For bracelets I wear two silver Cape Cod bracelets on one arm and a silver watch on the other.  And I have the Tiffany silver ball earrings that I wear every day. As part of getting dressed every morning I automatically put those on then based on my outfit I pick a necklace.

I totally agree with scarves.  I have probably 15-20 in a bin by the door and I put one on each morning when I leave the house.  They are a great, easy accessory and I always get compliments on them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good point, clc, I also wear the same earrings, necklace, wedding rings, and "fashion" ring every day - I grab and go, no thought required.  The necklace has an adjustable box chain (choker to 20") so it fits with every neckline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think that fit is really important. Baggy looks sloppy and tight looks cheap. So make sure everything fits right. And since I'm in my 40's I like to make sure the shirts aren't too short (no muffin tops please).
    When I met my DH I upgraded his wardrobe without making him uncomfortable by switching jeans for washable no-iron chinos in khaki, navy and black. And I switched out the sweatshirts for cotton sweaters.  Finally the t-shirts got replaced with polo necks (a collar looks so much better). He loves it. Says he feels much better put together but is just as comfy.
    So you can do the same thing with Mommy clothes. And of course in the summer you must have a pedi (even if you do your own) if you wear sandals! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Nice advice here!  You ladies are giving me some good ideas.

I just wanted to add one caveat to the discussion of BE mineral makeup.  I have a major reaction to the bismuth oxychloride in that product--it causes me to break out.  The same thing happened to a friend who tried the brand.  If it works for you, that's great, but it might be something to keep in mind if you are trying it for the first time.  It took my friend and I a while to (independently) figure out what was causing our acne flareups, and as soon as I discontinued use of the makeup, my skin returned to normal.  I now use Everyday Minerals (everydayminerals.com) instead, which is a very similar product, but no bismuth (and cheaper too!).  My skin is in bad shape since my usual regime is not pregnancy-safe, so I don't leave the house without that foundation on.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

One other trick that doesn't work for everyone is prepping your outfits on Sunday for the whole week.  I will say that this doesn't work for me when I'm at home  because I inevitably wake up and don't like what I had picked out and change but I use to do this while on the road for work because I already had set outfits.  I would iron everything when I unpacked on Sunday night and would hang my clothes up by outfit in the closet.  This included setting out the right shoes and sometimes hanging a specific necklace around the hangar so getting ready was really fool proof.  One of my coworkers does this every week without fail.  It can decrease the amount of time it takes you to get ready and because you're planning ahead you can come up with a more "put together" look.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Definitely, that was the first mineral makeup brand, but it's not the only one anymore.  If there's something cheaper, try that first!  No sense paying extra for the name.

Liquid foundation takes longer to apply and blend, and if you're in a hurry you can make quite a mess of it and get the dreaded jaw line demarcation.  Ugly.  But, in a hurry with mineral makeup?  No problem!  I don't even look in the mirror to apply the foundation in a few all-over swipes of the big, fluffy brush.  In seconds, my skin looks naturally perfect and I have a subtle, non-shiny glow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

This is all good advice (that I need to take!). I do need to throw out my sneakers. I hate the way I feel when I go out in them!

I also want to give a thumbs up for the casual blazer. Even jeans and a ponytail are dressed up when you slide on a comfortable, washable blazer (like from the gap or old navy) and a decent pair of flats. The structure of them hides the baby flab nicely, and they are thick enough to hide and nursing disasters. I bought a bunch when I was pregnant (and trying to hide the belly at first) and they've been a lifesaver.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I really shouldn't be posting because I'm a schlub who wears black t-shirts every day.
    But one thing I noticed last summer was mommy friends wearing jersey skirts.
    I got one and I love it.  I had put aside summer skirts because I need to sit on the ground with the LO, but this kind is all stretchy and flowy so you can still sit down.
    I got mine at Sears, but I think it was this Lands End one:
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-knit-convertible-skirt~231460_59.html
    (Warning: it fits big; I had to get a small which is preposterous.)

I also like the look of tailored bermuda shorts with flats.
    I know these are warm weather suggestions, but this weather has me preoccupied!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Love the jersey skirts, medford.  I have 6!! of these from Old Navy and wear them all summer long.  Also, they still fit and I'm 29 weeks along.  I can wear them to work with fancy sandals and a dress up top or more casual with flip flops and a tank top.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

I am not even a mom yet but now that I am getting older I'm gravitating to more comfy styles.

Recommend 'active' or 'outdoors' lines for great things like casual dresses with built in bras, workout pants that look like real pants or just stretchy awesomeness. They have gotten so cute in terms of designs/patterns. Athleta (gap's line, online only), Patagonia and REI/EMS have great selections. 

I also am newly in love with Clarks for shoes. They aren't the cheapest, but have great comfy styles that still look on trend. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm so afraid of my kids getting into that lose mineral makeup. But MAC has a powder foundation in a compact called Studio Fix.  I love that stuff. Goes on in a second with a big brush or a sponge and won't spill if the twins get there hands on it. :)
    Love jersey skirts and dresses too. Used to wear them all the time until I ended up spending my days on the floor with my kids. Hoping to put on a dress again this summer now that they are almost three.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, that would be a mess, lily, for sure.  Makeup used to be a big time investment to get it to look right so people who haven't been in the market for it for a long time might assume it's out of reach for that reason alone.  However,  I guess I shouldn't have suggested BE, per se, just any makeup that fits the quick, easy, foolproof, and healthy bill.  I haven't been in the market for so long (because BE works so well for me) that I didn't know there were other options that would be its equal.  As long as it doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do a foolproof application of foundation, blush, eye liner, mascara, and lips, and it meets your other personal criteria, go for it!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

You can find Clarks at Marshalls/TJMaxx sometimes, if you are lucky. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

If you don't want to wear jeans and you're worried about dirt stains on khakis, a pair of casual black pants is a good alternative (also hides a multitude of stains and goes with everything in terms of tops). I have a great pair from NY & Co. I've also found really cute capris at Old Navy for summer and sundresses at Target.

I use Cover Girl nature luxe lip balms/glosses. The clove and cinnamon ones are fantastic to use for a hint of color and shine, but they're not sticky and they fit into your pocket.

Sometimes just changing up your hair style can do the trick too. I cut four inches off my hair and was shocked how much of a difference it made. It's actually more labor intensive (have to blow dry it every day), but it frames my face better and makes me look younger. Plus, with a shorter length, less change of sticky little fingers pulling it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Men's polo shirts.  The collar makes them look dressier than a T-shirt and they are a straight fit midway between baggy and clingy. The clearance racks and the discount stores always had good brands and a lot of shirts in less "masculine" colors like teal and purple.  Try one size smaller--if you're a women's medium, try a men's small.  The men's are less fitted so they don't make you look flabby plus they are a bit longer so you don't have the pants-shirt gap in the back when you bend over.

Take the time to get a decent (doesn't have to be fancy) haircut and don't feel bad about making people wait five minutes so you can change into something clean and presentable, neaten your hair, etc.  If you look like you don't respect yourself, people are not going to respect you. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, if you're still carrying around a diaper bag, I recommend switching to a large pocketbook.  You can fit EVERYTHING you put in a diaper bag into a large pocketbook.  If you can't, then you probably need to clean out your diaper bag.  It made a huge difference for me, mentally at least, to carry around a real bag instead of a diaper bag.  If you want to keep your personal stuff and your kid stuff segregated you can always get a makeup kit zip bag and use that to segregate the objects in the bag for easier hunting/finding.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChicMomonaDime. Show ChicMomonaDime's posts

I started a fashion blog for moms for this reason!!!!  I started writing because I found it a struggle to dress fashionably, but also be comfortable and practical, and not spend a fortune.  Check out my blog when you get a chance.  www.ChicMomonaDime.com

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Since you have all inspired me to wear makeup more often (you and the fact that my skin does NOT look as good as it used to), I have a semi-related makeup question.  Does anyone have advice for peeling lips?  Not chapped, but peeling.  
    I almost never pick at them, because that would hurt, but I can get the skin off when it's ready.  I have tried several different lip balms (chapstic, carmex, neosporin, who knows what else).  Last year, I stopped using balm alltogether and would only apply Vaseline once or twice a day.  Did no good.  They look really gross and I am so sick of it!  Way back I tried exfoliating, and I don't recall it doing much good, but maybe I should try again.

Sections
Shortcuts