more on cranky toddler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: more on cranky toddler

GC and Medford... good to hear you say that sometimes you get the brunt of the breakdowns.  That is also the case in our house.  For some reason, I get the meltdowns and tantrums and DH does not.  My mother was amazing at keeping calm during my meltdowns, and I am trying to do the same.  I stick nearby, but don't yell or scream or really respond much.  Just say things like "I know, its hard.  Frustrating even..."  I find that even helps keep me calm :-)  I'll just chaulk it up to him feeling REALLY safe with me, which I guess is a plus.

I have a sleeping question (especially for LIL as I believe she also has an early riser), and I'll start a new post as not to hijack this one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Stefani - I think you really need to drop that morning rest thing.  When my twins dropped a nap (major sadness on my part) at 13 months - they dropped the afternoon nap. So to get them to one a day I had to keep them up. On the pedi's advice I fed them at 11:00 and put them down at noon.  Even now I usually feed around 11:30 and put them down by 12:30. It's just a schedule that worked for us. But if you want them to nap at 1:00 - you just keep pushing it up every once in a while till they get there.
    I'd be cranky too if I had to "lie down" for 45 minutes every morning. I think what your DS needs is lots of attention instead of time alone in a quiet room.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Stefani,
    After reading the update, I think dropping the morning rest thing and moving the one nap of the day earlier is the way to go.  Instead of a morning rest, they may do well with switching from an active activity to a quiety activity like story time.  I'm thinking he could be too overtired by the afternoon nap and then that's throwing the whole nap/wake up off.  My DS was on daycare time, so this might sound crazy early to you, but at that age, he at lunch at like 11/11:15 (he woke up by 6am) and then would be napping for his one nap by 11:45/12 until like 2/2:30, similar to what Miss Lily's MD suggested.  Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I'll have to admit that we nudged DD1 into not napping (for the last 3 months of trying to nap it was hit or miss anyway) because when the twins were born we ran out of places for people to sleep since they all share a bed room.  Even now the twins have never napped in the same room.  DH and I are such nervous Nellies about one waking up the other during naptime (since they aren't on the same schedule) and us missing downtime that we haven't done it.  Someone naps in their room and the other naps in a PnP in our room.  I'm thinking of trying the napping in the same room this weekend since DH's schedule for his new job is nights so he'll need to sleep some during the day. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

dz, good luck with the change.  As with any change, though, don't expect it to go flawlessly the first time, but give it a chance for them to adjust to sleeping near each other.  Be encouraged even if (when) the first naptime with the new distraction of their being in the same room doesn't go as well as you might hope.  But, left to nap under the same conditions every day they'll figure it out...the new will become old soon enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

dz--fwiw, my kids sleep in the same room at night and separate rooms for naps (this is a fairly recent development--the lines of communication got crossed somewhere and they interpreted "nap time" as "party time" and we couldn't convince them otherwise, but they nap well when separated).  They have slept in the same room (except for the aforementioned recent nap time adjustment) since birth and have learned to sleep through each other's noises.  At night, they talk or sing together a bit when they first go down, but settle down pretty quickly and go to sleep.  Poor DD has had night terrors since she was about 7 months old and will just start screaming or crying or talking/yelling in her sleep at various times throughout the night and DS sleeps right through it no matter how loud it is or how long it goes on.  On the rare occasions when DS wakes up in the middle of the night, DD sleeps through him, too.  It may take some adjusting initially, but they should learn to sleep through each other pretty quickly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

DZ - my twins have always slept in the same room for naps and nighttime. They never seem to wake each other up. This morning my son was sitting by my daughter's head saying "DD wake up!" and she still didn't stir. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Stefani - one other thought.  Like your little ones my DD gets pretty tired in the morning.  Unless she wakes up really early and it is clear that by 9 she is not going to last I have been taking her someplace to get physical activity - i.e. gymboree or jam time.  She is never cranky in that setting and is just exhausted by the time we get home so a nap at 11:30 or 12 works better.  So maybe increasing the stimulation in the morning will allow for a better more consolidated afternoon nap and decrease the fussiness. Perhaps worth a try?

Sections
Shortcuts