most useful/best item you registered for

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

most useful/best item you registered for

Hi All,

I thought it would be interesting to find out from moms out there, what is the one thing they couldn't live without that you think everyone should get or register for?  It's getting close to the time to do my registry and I have the book baby bargains which is great but I think advice from moms is even better.  I've been asking some of my friends the same thing and have received some great feedback already! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

Re: most useful/best item you registered for

Hands down the best thing I registered for was the baby video monitor, I believe the maker is Summer. My son also really loves his Baby Einstein stationary entertainer (exersaucer). When he's in it I can get so much done and not worry about him going anywhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I have that already!!  so many have told me that video monitor.  that's great to hear about the exersaucer!!  maybe I should have said best few things to get more ideas!  :-)  Thanks!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

For a newborn a bouncy seat is invaluable. For Breastfeeding, if you are going to do that, I loved my boppy, but I know some people didn't find them useful at all, and there are other pillows (my Breast Friend is one, but ugh that name is terrible). As DD got older, we went from the boucy seat to an exersaucer to an activity table. At 22 months she still loves all the music that her activity table plays, she will hit the buttons, dance for the few seconds of the song with her doll, then hit the button again.
    I found we used a high chair earlier than I would have thought, mainly as a place to park DD in the kitchen while we made meals, so she could be part of the action but DH and I wouldn't have to constantly hold her.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The car seat!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

1.  My jogging stroller with the carseat adapter (BOB Revolution).  In the dead of the winter, as long as it wasn't bitterly cold, I bundled up DS with the bundleme, blankets, and put him in his cocoon of the stroller sunshade and carseat sunshade together and got the heck out of my house and at least took some sort of walk every day.  It was my best post-partum depression buster.  For me, the jogger was an absolute necessity in terms of terrain, ice, snow, sand, etc.  My other stroller wouldnt' have made it.  
    2.  A backpack diaper bag.  As much as I love my cute girly accessories, a cute girly diaper bag just didn't cut it for me. I was given one, but shortly thereafter, got myself a Skip Hop backpack style one.  I couldn't stand having something over my shoulder while trying to carry the carseat and I couldn't stand trying to stuff or loop a tote style diaper bag onto my stroller.  The Skip Hop clips right onto the stroller handle bar.  I much prefer throwing on the back pack and still have two complete free arms.  
    I also agree with the previous posters on the bouncy seat.  We were given the Fisher Price Rainforest Bouncer as a gift and then a few months later a friend gave us a simpler, plain one "to keep on the second floor" as she suggested.  We did use both, but DS much preferred the rain forest one.  In my opinion and, based my anectodal "research" among my friends when we've compared and contrasted gear: skip the cute, soft, pastel bouncy seats and go for the louder, busier, nosier, more entertaining ones like the Fisher Price Rainforest, Aquarium, etc.  All can soothe and support baby as a newborn, but the extra bells and whistles add entertainment later on.  Thank you Fisher Price for allowing me to shower and blow dry my hair every day of my maternity leave.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: most useful/best item you registered for:
    [QUOTE]1.  My jogging stroller
    Posted by MM379[/QUOTE]
    Second that! Although for the non-joggers among us, the Instep by Schwinn is a great all-terrain stroller. We bought ours used on craigslist for about $30, and we use it every day. We used it all winter in the big snow drifts, and have taken it on hikes and trails and all sorts of rough terrain. And since we spent so little on it I don't have to worry about messing it up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I didn't register for this but I wish I had.  I can't live without the Aiden and Anais Swaddlers (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aiden+and+anais+swaddle&sprefix=aiden+a.)They are so helpful if you plan to swaddle your baby because they are bigger than other receiving blankets and are lightweight so you don't have to worry about overheating.  Also, they're great for carrying with you to use to protect the LO from the sun and as a nursing cover. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilpeanut. Show lilpeanut's posts

I heard about this forum from the Isis Parenting/Newborn class. I am expecting a baby of unkown gender in December.

My husband and I need to get started on our registry, and this post is helpful. Can anyone suggest a carseat. I have heard good things about both the Graco Snugride and the Chicco Keyfit. I think we want to get the BOB because I am hoping to get back into running within 3 months after he or she is born. I have a 2010 Ford Escape, so would the Graco Snugride32 fit in it? I know they can be pretty big.

Also, any suggestions on diapers. When I go down the diaper aisle I get so overwhelmed. What are the differences between them. They are all the same prices!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

MM - thanks!  the BOB revolution is the one i was looking at too!  I wasn't thinking about the car seat adaptor but now i should rethink that.  I was originally thinking the BOB revolution and then the snap and go.. i also heard good things about the chicco infant carseat but wanted to make sure to try it out in the snap and go ahead of time.  can any car seat go into the bob revolution too if you get the adaptor? 

also great advice on the loud colors.. i was thinking of the nice looking muted things but you are right..  he will probably be more thrilled and excited about the colors and it will keep them more occupied. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

There are a lot of items that I would not want to go without but my stroller is number one.  We have the Chicco Cortina travel system and its great.  DH does not get home from work until about 7pm and every night (weather permitting) for about the 1st 7 months of DD's life we went for a walk before dinner.  Around 5pm was not her best time of day and a walk seemed to cure all - I could not have survived without!

The Bouncy seat is also great, we used ours all the time - Great way to get dinner ready and still interact with the baby!  We have the Fisher Price Rainforest bouncy seat too, DD liked that much better than the basic one at my parents house.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I went to the park with a friend (baby born in January) with a BOB, and I was sold on that - if we ever need to register for a baby that will be at the top of the list!  By the way, though, don't get the mosquito netting that is designed for it for $70.  They got a generic one for $10 that worked just fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

My son didn't really care for the bouncy seat too much, but he really loved the swing as long as it was going at a good speed, vibrating, and the music was playing. For the first few weeks it was the only place he would nap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I think the items that got the most use for us besides the car seat of course, were the bouncy seat, swing, boppy and the snap and go. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

1. Baby Einstein "Around the World" play gym: A true lifesaver around dinner time. DS loves to play under it and we can eat dinner while he's having fun. We started using it around 10 weeks and we still use it every day (DS is now almost  months).
    2. Levana Video baby monitor: A must once baby moved to his own room!
    3. Aiden & Anais blankets: There were handed down to me from a friend who had received them as gifts for her winter babies. Since they are not "warm" blankets they were perfect for our summer newborn! They are also great to use to drape over the stroller when the sun is out (to keep baby out of the direct sun light). Very breathable.
    4. Summer Infant SwaddleMe wraps: We used these from day one and have moved on to the L/XL size now for our 5 month old. All babies are different but ours still loves to be swaddled :)
    5. Pacifiers!!!!!! lol.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbg109. Show mbg109's posts

Jan,
    We are getting the Bob Revolution (because I'm a runner and anticipate getting back into it as soon as possible following birth).  Only certain car seats can fit the adapter, including:
    • Britax Companion - 2003 and newer
    • Graco Snug Ride - 2003 and newer
    Graco Snug Ride 32 - 2008 and newer
    Graco Snug Ride 35 - 2009 and newer
    • Graco Safe Seat - 2006 and newer
    • Peg Perego Primo Viaggio - 2003 and newer
    • Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP - 2006 and newer
    Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 - 2007 and newer

However, if you frequent the message boards for product reviews, etc. you will find that people have rigged their stroller just fine to accommodate their own seat-- just depends on what you are comfortable with.  We are getting the Snug Ride.  It's funny because we are just getting the infant seat for the stroller so I can run (if I think too hard about it I feel guilty buying such an expensive accessory for such a pricey stroller! So I try not to think about it!  LOL!)  Otherwise, we would just use the convertible car seat.  We just don't plan to carry our baby around in the seat when out of the car (unless I am running with the stroller of course!). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I agree with a lot of what's listed here.  The things I would say are most valuable for a newborn (and therefore things you'll want to register for) are:

1. Nursing Bobby.  I could not live without it.  It makes nursing so much easier!  It's also great to prop baby up in.

2. Flannel receiving blankets - we use these as burp cloths since it's hard to keep those tiny ones on your shoulder.

3. Graco snugride car seat and stroller frame.  I love the convenence of this and the low price.  I walk miles in the park with it too.  It's no Bob, but you really don't want to run with baby until 6 mo or so so you have time to think about fancy strollers.

4. Sleep sacks in different weights.  Love these!  My DD did not like swaddling.

5. Nursing pads & bra (if applicable) .  I like the pads from Lansioh.  You are very leaky for ages.  Especially overnight.  Hold them in place with a stretchy maternity sleep bra.  I would wait until a few weeks after birth to get a nursing bra.  They recommend no underwire until after your supply is established.

6. Onsies, mittens, pants, etc.  But don't bother to register for these.  People will get them for you anyway.

7. Diapers!  Pampers swaddle me sensitive size N.

8. Crib sheets, mattress pad and Ultimate crib sheet.  Get the size appropriate for whatever you'll be using (crib, pnp, bassinett)

Of course there are so many other things, but these are what I think are "must haves" for the first few weeks.  You can live without most other stuff but not these things!

HTH!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

yes on the bouncy seat - we used it all the time and actually developed some wraps and such with receiving blankets to keep baby even happier (we had one that we called the toga - to keep her pacifier in her mouth - she only liked it at the time that we were having dinner and she kept loosing it when she'd start to doze.  ah how we missed the toga when she was in her crib at night!).  The seat was great because it was light weight and we could bring it upstairs and down.  We too had the FP rainforest and I loved the music, but it plays just long enough for a shower.  The vibrations were great (and it helped that you could hear it vibrate just a bit for those times that we'd take her out and forget that we left the vibs on and the battery running!).  Sleep sacks are a must for winter babies, and we used lots of receiving blankets.  Baby girl liked to sleep with her arms up over her head, so I'd wrap the receiving blanket around her from chest down and she loved it, and they are good for propping baby or wedging baby so they don't wiggle off the couch or out of the craddle.  I also used them all the time with BFing in public, and actually use them with my 22 month old daughter who now gets carsick from time to time - just throw it back there when you know what's coming!  I also used a jogging stroller, the Baby Trend and I loved it - I got it because I was worried about snow with a November baby. Little did I know that that winter we would get so much snow and ice that the city stopped widening sidewalks and I was too much of a nervous mom to take the stroller on the street.  But it was great for mall parking lots that don't do anything about 1-3 inches of slush!  Another stroller wouldn't have handled that mess, and I had Christmas shopping to do!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Vibrating bouncy seat.  Lasted through four kids -- with number three, it was the only thing that calmed her while she suffered extreme acid reflux.

Pack N Play.  Still have it hanging around.

Gymini.

A good stroller!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

lilpeanut - check out the book "baby bargains" - it should tell you generally what gear you'll need and has reviews of all the different brands and models (the name is a bit of a misnomer IMHO).  if i were you, i'd go with a graco snugride - seems to be the most universally popular.  i got the lowest weight one, b/c i didn't think i'd be lugging around a 32 lb baby in that thing anyway (and i'm having 2 - all the more reason!). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

My DS is only 3 weeks old but so far the bouncy seat has been terrific and our pack n play with the bassinet feature (I actually thought this was stupid when I saw it but DS absolutely loves sleeping in it to the point that I'm considering moving it upstairs so he can sleep in it at night...he is okay with our current bassinet but he has to have been a sleep for a while before putting him down in it or he wakes up).  I love our uppababy stroller but have a snap n go for when going out to the mall or a store as it is smaller and easier to fit in the car.  I wouldn't use the snap n go for walks and running/jogging though.  My SIL has the bob and likes it a lot.

Carseats we have the snugrider 32 by graco and were surprised how much room it takes up in the back seat...I feel like I'm so far forward in the front seat.  We have a volvo s40 so not sure how it would be in a ford escape.  I like the carseat though! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

DS liked the swing much better than the bouncy seat but you won't know which they like better until they are here! Putting him in the swing was how I got to take showers. I registered for (a got) a full size swing then someone gave me a travel swing. DS liked them both the same but I wish I'd only had the travel swing because it takes up a lot less space and is obviously easier to move from room to room.

The exersaucer was a godsend for taking showers when DS outgrew the swing.

I totally agree that sleepsacks are a must for the winter baby. DS did not like to be swaddled.

BTW - I had the baby bargains book when I registered and I was still overwhelmed. So many choices, brands, styles, price ranges. I left BRU with my head spinning. Hopefully the suggestions here will help make it easier for you. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Just an FYI with the BOB, if you want to use it for walks right away, you pretty much have to get the adapter.  You aren't supposed to jog with any stroller pre 3 mos as someone suggested.  The BOB does have a pretty full recline, but personally, it is still jiggly and I would highly recommend the adapter.  It turns into a snack tray later when baby is bigger.  My son has had dinner on there a few times when we've been craving a good after work walk to the playground. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

thanks mbg - that is great to know that only certain car seats work in the BOB.  I was thinking about the Chicco at first so maybe I should rethink about the Graco instead.  I'd like whatever i choose to fit well into the BOB and the Snap and Go since those are the only two I plan to get. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

With the cold weather approaching, I loved the Bundle Me that goes over the infant carrier!  We only had to put DD in a heavy sweater and hat this past winter and it kept her very warm.

Sections
Shortcuts