Mother's Clubs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Mother's Clubs?

I was recently looking in to our local "mother's club"  - looking for playgroups, support and networking opportunities since we are still fairly new to our town and don't know other parents.

I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated by what I found. Kind of alot of wealthy SAHM with time on their hands. But I am not sure if I am just being snobby myself.

Can anyone share their experiences with Mother's Clubs, or how they networked and met other new parents in their area?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: Mother's Clubs?

I started going to a Mothers group when DD was first born.  It was at a YMCA.  Many of the moms stayed home, some were snobby others not.    I hightly recommend going to a mothers group for first time moms.  It is very supportive.  You can ask questions of moms that just went through what you are going through.  I received a lot of good advice.  I looked forward to going every week.

Most of the moms from my group put together a group on meetup.com so that is how we still stay connected. 

I think going to some kind of a mothers group it is a great way to meet new friends and get some good advice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I've met some great mom friends through isis, destination maternity, and stroller strides classes.  some are sahms, some not.  also the breastfeeding support groups through hospitals are a good place to meet people.  I would not have made it through the early weeks without having support groups like that.  there are wealthy sahms in my area, most are very nice and just trying to figure out how to get their baby to sleep like the rest of us are.  try not to feel intimidated and keep looking for groups where you 'click' with the other moms.  there are so many options and places to try.  what area do you live in? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks ladies, I was thinking I have more low-key options than the local mothers club, like the breast feeding support group and the place where we are taking child birth classes.

We are way north of Boston, in Newburyport. And yes, I am sure the Mother's club is very nice and I'll check that out too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I agree with the BF support group at the hospital - that was key for me in the early months - it was such a feeling of accomplishement to get our of the house the first few times!  We didn't ultimately connect with any familes long term, but it was great until I returned to work!

I am a member of the mothers group near where I live and I am most active in the message board (I am sure this will come as a surprise to you all) but it's good knowing there are other local moms out there.  Ours has a mix of SAHM and working moms, and good options for everyone (and anyone can plan an event) and also a great source of info on local resources!

I've also just walked up to other mothers in my neighbourhood

Seems like you're open to putting yourself out there - go for it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clynn5683. Show clynn5683's posts

You might want to try meetup.com.  There are a few really cool, low key, groups on there.  Everything from weekly events to monthly mommy dinners. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I second the advice for meetup.   I joined one in our area when I was home and met many nice moms.  They have a huge variety of activities and also a variety of moms.  When I was on leave, I did some nice walks with SAHM's.   One night I went to a mommy's night out thing and met a bunch of moms who work.   All it takes is meeting even one or two nice moms that, like lesal, said, you "click" with and you can connect outside of the group as well.   Good Luck!

Sections
Shortcuts