Moving infants into a room with their toddler sister

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Moving infants into a room with their toddler sister

I have 12 week old twins and a 2.5 y/o daughter.  We live in a 2 bedroom townhouse, so everyone under 3 will be sharing a room.  I'm just not sure how to go about it. 

Currently one twin sleeps through the night and the other is getting close.  However, while big sis sleeps through the night, she can take 1-2 hours before she falls asleep after we put her into bed and bed time is 8:30-9:00 (we don't get home until 7:30ish most nights).  The twins generally are falling asleep (either for the night or for a long stretch depending on which twin) between 8:30 and 10:00.

I was wondering what other people had done when it was time to move an infant in with a toddler sibling?  Any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: Moving infants into a room with their toddler sister

Hi dz,

I can't speak to your particular situation from personal experience, but I know other MOTs have been in similar situations and have done this successfully.  Off hand, I would say that you need to set clear expectations with big sister--she needs to stay quiet and not "bother" the babies while they're sleeping etc.  You may want to consider getting some kind of screen to set up at naptime/nighttime between her bed and the crib(s) so that they aren't as tempting (out of sight, out of mind).

If you don't belong to a mothers of twins group yet, I'd highly recommend it.  If you're in MA, you can find a listing of the various groups at www.mmota.org. You'll find lots of other parents with toddlers followed by a set of twins who could probably give you much better advice than I can!

Sections
Shortcuts