My turn.....sleep issues with 8.5 month old

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

My turn.....sleep issues with 8.5 month old

So, we are having sleep issues with DD now (8.5 months).  She has been sleeping through the night for a couple months now, with usually once a week where she has an off night and wakes up once.  She really started sleeping through the night on her own, and I never have let her CIO for more than like 20 minutes.  Well, the last two nights have been really bad where she wakes up crying for hours and will not stop (last night she cried from like 10pm – 4am).  I usually try to let her cry for like 10-15 minutes to see if she will go back to sleep, but that did not work the last 2 nights (she is generally fairly good at self-soothing).  When I go in to get her and pick her up she will stop crying for a couple minutes, but then it starts up again.  So, it is not that she just wants to be held.  My first thought is that it could be teething (no teeth yet), but I gave her Tylenol last night and it didn’t help.  I did end up feeding her twice last night when she was crying, and the second bottle finally conked her out.  Then she was still sleeping when my MIL arrived in the morning and it was time for me to leave for work at 8am.  I wasn’t sure if I should wake her up or not, but I just felt that if I woke her up she would just be so overtired. 

My other thought is that maybe she isn’t eating enough during the day and is waking up hungry.  MIL is not always great about giving her as many bottles as she would get from me or daycare, so I am going to ask her to try to load DD up today with formula and solids.

Thoughts?  Advice?  I bet you ladies will tell me to let her CIO, but I am such a wimp when it comes to that.  I also hesitate to do it because she was sleeping through the night before and started it on her own.  I find it so hard to believe that she could go from wailing, to fast asleep.  She has also been sick with a stomach bug over the weekend and now some congestion, so not sure if that is what is bothering her.  But, she has been sick in the past, and this has not happened.  Or, maybe she is just super overtired and not getting enough sleep with naps, etc. (her naps vary in length from like 30 minutes to 2.5 hours)…..usually twice a day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Re: My turn.....sleep issues with 8.5 month old

Memes-I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.  I believe that some of her sleep disturbance may be due to the fact that she is not feeling well.  My friends who have older children tell me that sleep habits often go out the window when a chld isn't feeling well or when s/he is going through a developmental milestone.  My DD has recently recovered from a bad cold and she was waking up 2-3 times a night.  However, it stopped once she started feeling better (and she is sleeping through the night).

DD also has had a stomach bug and I know that when she recovered from that she ate more than usual because she hadn't eaten her typical amounts for a few days so she needed to load up on food. 

What are you doing to help alleviate the congestion?  Propping their heads up with the humidifier on helps us.  If she is congested, she may have trouble taking the bottle and may be esting less.  I hope it gets better soon! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

If she's crying while you're holding her - there must be something bothering her. It could be teeth... Tylenol is not a guarantee to stop pain. It could be hunger if you think she's not getting enough to eat during the day.

My only real advice...
    At this point naps should be consistent. DD was a horrible napper, but after I talked to a sleep consultant at 11 months, she was much better. The consultant told me to keep to the same time for each nap and if she wakes up early or fights going down to stay in the room in "nap" mode regardless - for atleast an hour if not 1.5 hours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I've never been in the CIO camp, but even if I was, I think that 10-4 seems like a real issue.  I thought that CIO was only generally for shorter periods of time.  

I would call your pedi about it if holding, feeding, rocking etc. doesn't seem to work.  Could be something really wrong that's bothering her or maybe even an ear infection (the fluid pools or something when they lie down).  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

memes- i think that i wrote this on the other posting- but it could be hunger in general and not just b/c of MIL. our kids are about the same age, and mine is much more active- pulling up, crawling backward, etc. it just requires more calories... and with his insistance on feeding himself, he isn't eating enough during his normal meals.

the teeth thing also stinks. I have found that pressure on their gums (rubbing your thumb around their bottom gums) will at least give you a sense of whether that is what it is- pressure will change (at least temporarily) the pain feeling- and my DS will move his head around directing my finger. (and if he starts sucking, well then I know he is hungry.)

sickness also changes everything. being held upright for several hours may be helping- and i also find that at least my DS gets all upset (And cries more) when breathing is hard for him.  with the ear infections- my DS didn't show any signs (there was no ear pulling), so if it isn't better tonight, i may call the pediatrician. (i would maybe call today anyway)

ps. and no, CIO when it is an abnormal change in routines, is not appropriate (i don't think)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks all - I completely agree that something is clearly bothering her.  I will probably call the pedi like many of you have suggested to check her ears....I hadn't thought of that. 

And Benice - thanks for the nap advice.  I think that is a good idea to leave her in there for at least an hour each time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes - I am curious to know what happened!  Any help from the pediatrician?  Any improvement on the sleeping?
    We are also 8.5 months and we seem to be having one sleeping setback after another.  First lots of hunger, then teething, now possibly night terrors...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Medford - thanks for asking.  At that time she was definitely sick and it resolved itself within a couple days.  We are still having sleep issues though, which stinks because DD was sleeping throught the night for over a month.  She is waking up most nights once and really wants a bottle (she even sometimes will wake up twice now for a bottle).  A couple times a week she will still sleep through the night though.  Her sleeping is very erratic.  She is napping pretty well though lately.  I don't really have an explanation....I have been thinking that she has been teething for awhile now, but still no teeth.  I am sure that we have some bad habits that we need to break (i.e., not putting her down to sleep awake, etc.).  I am such a wimp when it comes to CIO though and I really feel that she would cry for hours if I didn't feed her when she clearly wants the bottle, because there are times during the night that she wakes up to cry and does put herself back to sleep but then other times that she wakes up and clearly wants to eat.

Have you had any luck with anything?  Any tips on your end?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

memes,

by not putting her down semi-awake at night you may potentally be doing her a disservice. CIO at bedtime, when you know she's not hungry may very well end the middle of the night wakings - if she knows how to fall asleep on her own, she's more likely to do so when she wakes up during the night.

Sleep training doesn't have to mean leaving the room and listening to her cry, there are a lot of ways to sleep train your DD to fall asleep on her own.  It's more a matter of how long you want the process to take;  CIO is usually the fastest way, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Benice - I think you are definitely right about not putting her down semi-awake.  I have come around to realizing that we need to do that.  I did change the routine last night and instead of feeding her last and having her fall asleep with the bottle, I fed her before I took her upstairs to get ready for bed.  However, she still had the bottle very close to her bedtime and she was falling asleep anyway even though we were downstairs with the TV on, etc.  Then I took her upstairs and changed her diaper, put on PJs, and sang her a song.  Her eyes were awake when I put her in the crib, but she went right to sleep.....and slept through the night!

Does this count as putting her down awake? Or no because she was falling asleep as she had the bottle? Do you think I need to give her the bottle even earlier?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Nice work, memes. That definitely counts... as long as she's aware that you're putting her down for bed and not fully asleep when you lay her on the mattress.