New BF research

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

New BF research

I thought I'd share this article containing new research on BF. Sounds like it has interesting implications beyond the feeding of LOs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/science/03milk.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: New BF research

Very interesting...amazing, actually.  Sounds like it would be hard to replicate all that in a food lab!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Cool article Kiwi!  Thanks for posting. 

Sometimes I feel so clueless about parenting that it's nice to know that there's at least one sure thing that I'm doing right for DD - BFing!  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Thanks Kiwi!
    Next time I have one of those "I can't do this anymore" moments I'll think of this article. Reassurance that I'm blessed to be able to do what's best for my baby boy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

This was my favorite line:

“Everything in milk costs the mother — she is literally dissolving her own tissues to make it,” he said.

I totally feel that way sometimes. :) But, like you said, it's reassuring to learn the many ways bm is an amazing thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Ha yes, I can feel it sucking the life out of me as we speak ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

Great article for those who can breastfeed---but just ANOTHER piece of info to make those of us who cannot breasfeed our babies feel horribly guilty :-(  :-( :-(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you can't, you CAN'T.  I think if anyone reads it and can BF but doesn't and, as a result of reading the article, feels guilty about it that's one thing, but to not be ABLE to BF and feel guilty about it, that's another story.  I know it's got to be hard, but try not to torture yourself for a biological fact that isn't your fault and that you can't change for all the desire in the world.

Guilt not stemming from actual fault is a damaging force that you don't deserve to have ruining any part of your life.

P.S.  I'm not implying anyone under any circumstances should feel guilt about not BF (or any other choices we make).  Just saying that if someone chooses not to and feels guilty and remorseful about it, that's different than if someone can't and feels guilty about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

lauren, my intent was not to make anyone who cannot BF feel guilty. (In fact the doctor's last comment almost made me not post the link.) I have been EP'ing for my DS for the last 10+ months which is definitely not the BF relationship I was hoping for. So, I know that our best wishes and intentions as moms can't always be realized.

I just thought the reserach was interesting and others might find it so as well. I was surprised at how little doctors know about many aspects of bm and I was really encouraged that studying bm could have major implications for all sorts of groups--preemies, the elderly and cancer patients. Even if our own children can't receive bm, maybe the medical breakthroughs because of the research will benefit them one day.

I apologize if you thought my motivation was more "political" than that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

kiwi, I'm sure she understands your motives were pure - it's just good information!  No one would assume you were being "Gizelle-esqe" (or however you spell her name)...I'd hope, anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Interesting, also further supports the theory of open gut versus closed gut which means to delay all solids or formula for as long as possible.  Once any sort of solids/formula are intorduced, a lot of the benefits of breast milk goes out the window according to this theory.

Sections
Shortcuts