Newborn Photos?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Newborn Photos?

Not sure if this is the right group to post this...

I think I have seen discussions on this topic before and I recall looking through and jotting down photographer names that people suggested.  Basically, I would like to do one of those newborn photo sessions when our LO comes and get the digital prints on CD.  It seems like most of the photographers I've looked at charge a session fee of somewhere between $250 (understandable) and $500 (a lot, IMO) and digital prints are rarely available for purchase.  If digital prints can be purchased, they seem to be really expensive (like near $1000)!  Am I looking in the wrong places?  Does anyone have other suggestions or experiences?  A friend of mine did newborn pictures for a session fee of $250 and purchased the CD with digital images for $150.  Admittedly, this was not in MA, but I didn't think there was such a discrepancy based on geography.  Am I just being naiive?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Newborn Photos?

Hi there,
    I haven't done photos yet, but I contacted 3-4 photographers and their session fees were $125-150.  I just followed up with one to ask if she ever sells digital prints, so I'll let you know what she says!  She is a friend's sister so I am crossing my fingers that she'll work something out with us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

itsallnew - We used Lindsey Light http://lindseylightphoto.com/index2.php#/gallery2/2/.  (that is the link to the baby-specific photos.  she also does weddings, etc.)

Here is a quote from her email (this was from Nov. 15, 2010, so I'm not sure if her rates have gone up).  We loved her, LOVED the photos!

"infant sessions are $150 and that includes the photo session, online galleries, and CD of images in both color & black/white.  From the CD, you can do any of your own printing, including make cards.
    A session is usually about one hour & I travel to your home.  I like to do a bunch of the baby, a few outfit changes if wanted, and some of the whole family too."

Oh, and she not only gave us a cd of all images in both color and b&w, she gave us TWO discs - one for pics to print from, and one of pics to put online.  I think the size/resolution is different?  I'm not a tech person, so am not sure...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Thanks Poppy!!  I actually emailed Lindsey but haven't heard back yet.  I guess I didn't read the website well enough, but that sounds so much more reasonable!   And I really would rather go with someone who someone else had a good experience with.

Fram- I'm looking forward to hearing what your friend's sister gets back to you with!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I think her website gave a higher amount for her photo shoots ($300,maybe?) and I remember being happily surprised when she quoted me $150.  Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I will add another big recommendation for Lindsey Light.  We used her for a baby/family photo shoot in February when our DD was 7 months.  We just used her again in July on our DD's 1st birthday and her fee was still $150.  And like Poppy said, that includes the session as well as the online gallery and the color/b&w digital files on disks.  I have since uploaded the photos and made really nice photo books and prints.  I can not recommend her highly enough.  I wish I knew about her when I got married!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Great!  This sounds very promising and affordable.  If I don't hear back from her in the next couple days I will try giving her a call.  Thank you ladies!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That sounds like an incredible deal!  I might have to contact her depending on what friend's sister says!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

ive talked to lindsey recently - she's tied up with weddings until next month

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ALS - great to know her fee is still the same!  I am hoping to book her in October for our 1 year shots! 

Benice - thanks for the info!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

She is very busy with weddings - which is great for her business.  We did our 1-year-old session with her on our daughter's actual birthday, which was a Wednesday since we took the day off to celebrate anyways.  We met in the park (Arnold Arboretum in JP) and just played while Lindsey took pics for well over an hour.  If you can do it on a weekday, her schedule is probably a bit more open.

Can't say enough good things about Lindsey.  Her pictures make all the grandmas teary-eyed! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Update-  I heard back from Lindsey, who told me that her session fee is $250 (either her rate went up or it's a bit higher for newborns), but it still includes everything others mentioned plus the pw protected online gallery for viewing.  She said the shoots are 1 to 1.5 hrs and she comes to your home ($30 fee for I think 30 mi outside Boston).

I'm due on 11/3, so it's still a bit early for me.  She said that she doesn't usually book newborn sessions until after the baby is born but she is generally available/flexible, and if I wanted to set a date now it would be fine.  I want to get the pictures done in those early days (between 5-10 I think they say) to get the tiny, sleeping pics.  And, since I'll be at home I'll probably be doing this on a weekday so I guess that's why she said she's pretty flexible. 

Thanks ladies for your recs!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I wish we had done those first week photos - I just wasn't organized enough.  I am sure you will absolutely treasure them!

Interesting about her fee... I also just emailed her, so will be curious what rate she gives me.  Maybe her fees go up each fall?  Don't know... That's kind of a big jump, though!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I wonder if she realized what other photographers charge.  The ones I contacted charged $125-150 just for the session.  I wish I had done photos right away too!  I didn't realize how soon they need to do those early ones... And now she is almost 6 months and I still haven't done them!  On the other hand, I have probably taken over 1000 photos myself.  Ridiculous?  :o)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Fram- I'm sure those 1000 home photos are just as precious as the professional ones.  After all, they are done with the most loving eye possible.  Just try to take as many of number 2 (if you have another one)!  I'm a first born, but so many of my second born friends always say they didn't have as many baby photos and stuff. ;o)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I'm not sure on his prices for infant shoots, but http://www.russmezikofskyphotography.com/ does a great job with baby pictures too.  He's very creative with pictures.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Contact Michael Goderre, of Island Road Images - he did our wedding photography and is amazing - and he said he also does other types of photography, including children - and his photos will make you weep they are so beautiful.  he's also just a really nice person, so you won't mind having him with you in those first few days after you have the baby and are feeling tired, etc.  I have no idea what his fees are, since our wedding was 4 years ago and I have amnesia re: pricing for all things wedding!

http://www.islandroadimages.com/