Newborn sleep

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Newborn sleep

My DS is about a week and a half old and I can only get him to sleep if he is being held or in the swing.  This is very different from my daughter who would sleep in her bassinet or crib with no issue.  He is up a lot at night too, but I guess that is typical newborn behavior.  Does anyone have any tips on getting a newborn to sleep in the bassinet/crib or just general newborn sleep tips?  I forget everything that I did 2.5 years ago.  Right now I am swaddling him for sleep, but I was thinking about trying him un-swaddled to see if he likes it better.  I know I should probably pull out my Weissbluth book to give myself a refresher, but I haven't done that yet.  Any tips would be appreciated.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: Newborn sleep

My DD was the same way, and we totally gave in to it and she slept on us all day, though she did do really well in her PnP and later on her crib at nighttime.

I doubt it's the swaddle since most babies like it, but it wouldn't hurt to try him without it. Maybe he'd sleep better in something like a rock & play, which has an incline similar to the swing or being held.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newcarsmelly. Show newcarsmelly's posts

My DD was a day sleeper and up all night. She def liked to be held and would sleep that way but she had just slept all day too!

It took us only about two days but I tried my best to keep her up during the day (she was about 3 wks old). Of course I let her nap but I made sure she was up every 2-3 hours and for an extendEd amount of time. The trick that I swear was the game changer was I took her in the sun (of course shaded by a blanket or stroller) both days (and made sure she was awake!) for 30-40 minutes. I learned this in a sleep class at Isis. Apparently late afternoon sun or bright light helps to set the sleep cycle. I kind of thought it was crazy but it def worked for us. Don't get me wrong she wasn't sleeping thru the nite or anything but by 4 weeks she was more awake during the day and by 8 weeks she was sleeping a good 6 hours before waking for feeding. So I'd try one last feeding at 11pm and she could make it to 5am. 

Hope this helps esp as the weather is getting nicer it will be easier eat get outside. Best of luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Memes - congrats on your new DS!  My DS would only sleep in his bouncer for the first 2 1/2 months.  I kept trying the PnP that we had set up in our room but he wouldn't sleep more than 2 hours in that where as he would sleep 6+ in the bouncer.  My pedi told me not to worry about it in the beginning.  She said where ever I could get him to sleep was perfectly fine that it was more important that he got sleep rather than where he got sleep.  So until 2 1/2 months I went with it and he stayed in the bouncer on the floor in our room.  After that we moved him to the PnP until 4 1/2 months and then to his crib.  Luckily for us he's a great sleeper and started STTN at 8 weeks and has only had a few hiccups since.  Good luck!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I fall on the side of "let baby sleep where baby will sleep".  DD hated both being swaddled and her bassinet - as in going from sound asleep to screaming bloody murder as soon as we put her in it.  She slept in her Rock and Play very comfortably (and TTN), buckled in with a blanket on top of her until about 4 or 4 1/2 months - with our pedi's OK.  She had strong neck muscles and we had no fear of her restricting her airway.  Whe she started daycare at 12 weeks she slept in the swing there for about a month because it was the only place she would sleep.  When she started getting stronger and trying to sit up in the RNP/swing we & daycare moved her to the crib without any issues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks all! So I broke down due to lack of sleep and had DH go out and buy a Rock and Play. DS slept really well last night.....only up to eat twice and not much awake time otherwise. Granted it was only one night, but I feel much better today. Did anyone who used the Rock and Play have any issues with the baby getting a flat head? When I read the Amazon reviews it is mentioned a lot. I am not planning to use the Rock and Play for daytime sleep, so I hope that helps.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

the helmet/head issue is not due to how the baby sleeps.  It's due to underdeveloped neck muscles.  It's a developmental thing.  Don't worry.  If the baby sleeps, great! 

Also, if you need a laugh, this overview of the top 10 selling books on Amazon on baby sleep is the most hilarious thing I've read recently.

http://starcrossedkayla.tumblr.com/post/48462427854/i-went-on-amazon-and-bought-all-the-top-books-on

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to memes98's comment:

Did anyone who used the Rock and Play have any issues with the baby getting a flat head?

My DD spent plenty of time in her RnP during the day (and occasionally nighttime when we had a really rough night) napping, or just hangin' out when awake (she preferred it over the swing). Her head had a flat spot for a while, but I'd assume no baby has a perfectly round head; her pedi was never really concerned and it's evened out now. I think it was more of me being paranoid about it for the same reasons- I read the same reviews you did.

I think the key thing is to make sure baby has lots of tummy time and spends time in different places, not just the RnP, which you seem to already be doing. I wouldn't worry too much.

I know you didn't ask about this, but I'm throwing it out there in case anyone else is thinking about the RnP. I would advise on the use of the safety strap...I've heard stories of mamas discovering their LOs had rolled over in the RnP and were face down into it (no tragic endings, but still scary...). We had a habit of not using the strap most of the time, but that's because she was never in it if we weren't awake and right next to her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD slept in the RnP for naps and night for about 7 weeks.  I did think her head started to get the TINIEST bit flat despite having strong neck muscles, so I folded up a receiving blanket and put it under the cloth, under her head.  Just a tiny bit of extra padding.  I already had it in my mind that she would go to her room/crib at 8 weeks, but the flat spot definitely motivated me to follow through on that plan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

* Bump*

Memes - how is it going?  Hopefully you are all getting some more sleep. =)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

November - Thanks for checking in! We are doing a little better on the sleep front! Last night he did 9:30-5:30 with two wake ups. That is better than last week when he had a hard time going back down after the 3am wake up. I still think he is getting a low amount of sleep though. It dis about 6-7 hours at night once you take out the time for feedings.

He is doing better for naps too. Although he has a hard time on days when his sister is home. She is loud! I am still trying to figure out how to best get him to sleep when DD is running around.

Oh, and he is still sleeping in the rock n play. So far his head seems fine. I tried putting him down for a nap in the crib today, but he immediately woke up.

And he is doing a little better with being put down while awake.

On a slightly related note, he was just diagnosed with reflux and prescribed Prilosec. So I am hoping if he gets more comfortable, that it might also help his sleep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Memes - glad to hear things are improving and hopefully the new meds will help your little man.  My DS was notorious for waking up the second he hit the crib.  What worked for us was rocking him with a blanket wrapped around his back that got warm with our combine body head and then putting that down in the crib and laying him on top of it.  It would stop him from startling when he felt the cold sheet.  Good luck! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Awww, the poor little guy.  Glad things are going better.  Re: big sis - have you tried a low radio or white noise machine? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks for the tip CLC. I will try that!

Well, I think I spoke too soon because we had a bad night last night. He woke at 1:30 and I nursed him, then he was up from 2-4 uncomfortable with his reflux and spitting up a ton. I nursed again at 4 and then he pooped. At that point I think he was wired because he wouldn't close his eyes. So he really didn't sleep at all from 1:30-7:30am. Then he took a 20 minute nap. Those types of nights were very common a couple weeks ago, but have been less frequent lately.

Not sure if it was something I ate? Or I was really full at 1:30, so maybe he ate too much and got uncomfortable?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, Memes... you could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why.  Sometimes these nights just happen.  Hoepfully they continue to be the random ones and you get more good nights.