Nighttime drama at our house continues: Waking up wet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Nighttime drama at our house continues: Waking up wet

Hi Everyone!

A few weeks ago I posted about my son's sleep being off.  All the responses were super helpful so I am hoping that someone with older children can help with our latest dilemma.

So, DS is rolling around constantly and while I am so super pumped and in awe that he is hitting new developmental milestones, it has put a small wrench in naps and bedtime.  I was so paranoid about him sleeping on his tum that I was constantly hovering to flip him back over. LOL. Our pedi said to put him down on his back and if he turns then leave him.  He's strong enough to push off the mattress and flip himself over if he needs to.  So we let him sleep on his tum, with his tush up in the air. So cute.  What's not so cute is at 2:30am when he has a FULL diaper and since he's sleeping face down all the pee fills the front of the diaper till it can't hold anymore and he wakes up wet and cold. I go in, change him, check the bed and usually have to spend about 30-45 minutes getting him back to sleep.  The cold wetness and change of jammies wakes him up quite a bit.

He's in a size 2 pampers during the day and on advice from our sitter we put him in a size 3 last night to see if a bigger diaper would help. No such luck.  Should we try a different brand at night?  Is there like a cover I can buy to put over his diaper?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Nighttime drama at our house continues: Waking up wet

How old is he?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arugulacm. Show arugulacm's posts

We had the same issue, even after going up a size.  Overnight diapers worked for us.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Lemon, he'll be 4 months tomorrow.  :)

Arugulacm, was there a specific brand that you liked?  Did you go with the same size your child was wearing during the day or did you go up a size?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Nighttime drama at our house continues: Waking up wet:
    [QUOTE]Lemon, he'll be 4 months tomorrow.  :)
    Posted by CoffeeQueen[/QUOTE]
    I asked because if he was older, you could consider tapering off night feedings. But at 4 months he'll still need them, so that's not helpful. Sorry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

One of my friends who has a son had this problem.  She had to use overnight and go up at least one size.  She said that the diapers looked absolutely ridiculous but it did the trick. 

We also used overnight diapers for a while (in the same size) and the smaller sizes can be difficult to find, I had luck at Stop and Shop.  I've used both Pampers and Huggies and they worked well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

this happened to us and the larger size diaper worked.  I had to show my husband how to put it on at night because the way I did it she'd stay dry, but the way he'd do it she'd still end up wet.  What I did - we used pampers, and you can see where the "super" layer is, toward the front.  I would make sure that the line for that layer was right at her bottom, so if she sat up straight, 1/2 her butt would be on it and 1/2 off.  Then I made sure that the front of the diaper came up over her belly button and that the diaper covered the top of the legs (making the best possible seal on the top of the diaper).  Not sure if that will help you, but it worked for us and we very rarely had a wet night, and she has some heavy diapers!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

You can also try adding a maxi pad to the front/back of the diaper to keep things from leaking or adding a night time diaper liner.  We went through this for a week or two and I would add a gdiapers insert to his diaper until we got over this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Oooh HotCinnaBaby, I like your thinking!  I'm going to try that tonight for sure.  If that doesn't do the trick I'll slip in a maxi pad. I would have never thought of that!

I'll try those ideas before going out and buying more diapers. Thanks for the great suggestions!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Also, not sure if you're doing this already, but make sure his pen1s is pointing down when you close up the diaper (hold it down until you're about to close the diaper and then slip your hand out at the last minute--those things can be tricky ;)  ).  This made a big difference for us. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

They sell cloth diaper covers in all different materials/fabrics that might do the trick for keeping him feeling the wetness. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

If you are interested in an overnight diaper, I would go with a size 3 Huggies Overnight.  They are WAY more absorbant than the pampers nighttime ones.  To be honest, I saw no difference between the pampers nighttime and regular pampers, but the Huggies Overnights are super heavy duty!  You may not be able to find the size 3 everywhere, but I think in the past I've found them at Stop and Shop as someone else suggested and you can try BRU. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lcc329. Show lcc329's posts

same thing happened with our little one right at 4 months too!  except he was waking up wet on his back (he is just now rolling/sleeping on belly at 6 months)  we moved up to size 4 Huggies Overnites - also, fold a flap of excess diaper in towards his belly and put tabs down real tight - the folded part at the top seemed to deflect the pee back into diaper - we tried a lot of brands and sizes and this worked first night we tried it - GOOD LUCK!  I have switched him from Pampers to Huggies for regular daytime diapers as well - I was a loyal pampers user with first son and now wish i knew how great the huggies are ... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I had the same problem with DS at 4 months.  Huggies size 3 overnites did the trick as well as making sure his thing points down, not up when you diaper him. After that we seldom had a problem.
    The only reliable place I found for Huggies Overnites in Size 3 was Diapers.com. 
    My son is super skinny and still wears a size 3 diaper during the day (he's 15 months), but I put him in size 4 overnites now.
    Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Oh yes! This site has been giving me trouble all day and I've been wanting to update on our progress.  So we tried size 3 crusiers hiked up and positioned in just the right spot, with his thing pointed down and the fasteners nice and tight.  This worked well at keeping the pee in but he was still waking up with a HEAVY diaper at 4am (2 hours too early for mama). SO, I tweaked it a bit and now have added a diaper change to his dream feed at 11pm.  He gets jammies, clean size 3, lots of cream and a bottle at 6pm then he goes down at 7pm.  11pm we do a dream feed and quick switcheroo for a clean diaper. Worked like a charm!!!! :)

I may have misinterpretted what I thought everyone else was doing but is it really possible to leave them in the same diaper from bedtime till morning?  Maybe it's just my kid. LOL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

I am just another huge fan of Huggies overnights one size up!! Made all the difference in the world. They are worth the trip out to get them and you can't find them everywhere...but Walmart carries them along with some CVS stores. Good luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Especially when you stop the 11:00 bottle you can diaper them for the 12 hour night shift without a problem. 
    Once my twins were sleeping through the night (6 to 6 or 7 to 7) we had fewer leaking problems.
    Glad the quick switch during the dream feed worked! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

MissLily - 6pm - 6am?!?!?!  I know this is possible but it seems like it will never happen for us!  My son is waking up far too much and can't get himself back down without a little intervention from myself or my fiance.

He's only 4 months old...am I being too ambitious?

On a side note regarding his sleeping, we've been using The Baby Whisperer methods till about 2 weeks ago.  It just felt like her methods weren't working anymore, he wasn't responding and we couldn't seem to get our day care on board.  Now we're in the middle of this big swirly mess with everyone getting broken and interrupted sleep. It's hard to see a solution when your in the middle of a dilemma!

Sections
Shortcuts