November -- Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers

The charts are just a guide.  Your child has an in-born, innate system of hunger and satiety driven by his brain chemistry - it's not something that can fail, meaning letting the child starve or become truly malnourished, under normal circumstances.  

ETA:  Overriding a person's natural satiety system causes an inability to recongnize and, therefore, respond to the "I'm full" signal.  A healthy regard and response to feeling full is something that I'd fight very hard to preserve in a child, not override.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Wed, that happened to us too with the solids.  My DD went through a period where she would scream when I offered.  I would immediately put it away for the rest of the day.  But, I would continue to offer the next day and the day after that.  Eventually she came around and is now a good eater at 15 months.....but it did take awhile and would stress me out at the time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Trouble, it's hard not to worry... but everyone is right on.  A bouncing healthy happy baby who is frequently offered food but just is not interested is a-okay.
    If it helps, our LO also "fell off" her weight chart, from about 40% to 9%... but as her doctor put it, she's following her "own little curve".  Slow and steady!
    It can certainly be hard to accept, though!  I noticed in your posts that you think YOU are doing something wrong.  Please try not to think this way!  It would be wrong to push food on a baby who doesn't want it, but you are doing fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - worrying is so normal.  I have stressed and worried and cried over every development in my twins short lives.
    So put the scale away and try and enjoy feeding him for a bit.  When I get stressed, I sing them funny songs. Now that they are 2 - they've started singing them too!
    And always remember - as long as you are offering food, he's going to be okay.  It's his job to eat it or leave it as he sees fit. And believe it or not, they do know (somehow) how much food they need at this age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Trouble--as everyone else has said, just try to go with the flow.  If it's any consolation, my DS finally fell into charted territory at his 12 month appointment.  He had been above the 99th percentile curve in height and weight and he finally fell onto the curve.  Ha!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yeah, you could probably click on my screen name and find no END of freak-out posts about DD's eating, excreting, etc ... but that's just part of it.  DD's a good eater, but given her p**p problems I have definitely been guilty of Food Freak-outs.  Although, when you're in it, no amount of meaningful, "relax, it'll be fine!" stuff would help, at least not me.  But just to add my two cents: it will be fine.  I swear.  If there's an issue, the pedi will let you know ASAP.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

The curve means absolutely nothing. My neice and nephew were adopted from Korea and the pediatrician told their mom "oh, the curve doesn't apply to Asians." Really, you mean that main bulk of the human population? We were all kind of insulted by that.

DD is low on the curve, I don't even think about it because my husband and I were always both the smallest kids in the class.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's totally natural to reject food when you aren't hungry.  That instinct is meant to preserve our weight and health throughout our lives.  Once it is destroyed (or reduced in any capacity) it's very difficult to restore it to its natural state.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

The feeding stuff is hard, and I’m MUCH better about it in theory than in practice.  (this is true of much of my parenting)  When DD isn’t eating or refusing something or what-have-you, it triggers something very primal in me that even I can’t explain.  Must.Feed.Child.  Whereas when DD is eating normally (for her), it’s hard for me to remember why I was so freaked out even a few days ago.   Trouble, I forgot your LO was still so little – it’s doubly hard when breastfeeding b/c it’s so personal and you also don’t know exactly what the intake is.  I feel for you.  But I promise, it’s OK. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Of course, I can't relate to that primal feeling of Must.Feed.Child when one refuses what's offered, but I enjoy being slender, and I give most of the credit for that to my mom.  I assume she had a normal maternal instinct to make sure I was getting enough to eat (apparently, I did), but she purposefully led me to never eat one bite beyond the point where my body said "enough."  She'd battled her weight her whole life and made it a priority to set me up to have a healthy relationship with food that our bodies are born with but can so easily be sabotaged.  I'm so thankful she did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trouble - I think when DD was first born they said she should gain around 1/2 pound every 2 weeks.  Or was it a 1/2 pound every week?  But after the first couple months, when I brought that up, they looked at my like I had 5 heads.  I swear they said it!!  How old is your DS?  Anyway, it's just a guideline and as long as DS is gaining and creating enough dirty diapers, I'm sure he's fine!

We have DD's 9 month appointment soon.  (Can you believe it??)  It feels like it has been so long; can't wait to get her stats and ask my questions.

I know that BM and/or formula is the primary food source, so you should offer fluids first... When does that stop being the case?  Once they are a year old? 
    We've just started DD on 3 "meals" a day.  I have a feeling she is going to be less hungry for her last feeding before bed and it stinks because I'd rather cut out the bottle of formula at day care, but I guess I just have to let it go and follow her lead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

One thing to keep in mind about the charts is that they were revised somewhat recently (sorry...I have no link/reference) b/c so many kids were over the curve.  Unfortunately, the reason so many were over the curve was b/c they were overweight (not all of them, of course--there will always be outliers).  So kids that would have fallen well-within range 15 or 20 years ago are now "underweight" and in the lowest percentiles.  I know someone who had a child who was off the chart--below 1%ile.  She went searching for other countries' growth charts and at the next weigh-in, brought copies of a bunch of charts (including some of the Asian ones) where her child was in the "normal" range.  She noted that her child was growing on her own curve and decided she just wasn't going to worry about it any more.  And the pediatrician agreed.  The pedi was still obligated to continue close monitoring, but the mom allowed herself to stop stressing about it.

When my kids were born at 37.5 weeks, they were around the 6th or 7th %ile (DD was 5 lbs. 6 oz.; DS was 6 lbs. 9 oz.--good weights for twins and DS was actually bigger than I was at birth).  They gained weight rapidly and by one year were in the 30th-40th %ile and have hovered there since.  And I'm totally ok with that.  I'm 5'3" and DH is 5'8".  We are not "100th percentile people" (as I like to say) so it makes sense that our children aren't either.  It's not a competition.  My kids are fantastic eaters and are very active and their heights and weights are mostly proportional.  Pedi calls DS a "fireplug" b/c he's solid and strong, but his weight %ile is more than his height %ile.  His body shape is very similar to DH's, so that's fine.  We have friends who are about the same height as we are and they have a daughter who's almost a year younger than our kids.  EVERY SINGLE pedi appt., they're posting on FB about her being in the 100th %ile for height and weight.  First, who cares?  How about posting something like "DD is growing well and is healthy" instead of bragging about percentiles that just are what they are.  Second, they are not "100th percentile people" and I've met their parents and siblings and they aren't 100th percentile people either.  I don't know what that means other than their DD is violating the genetic tendencies of their families, but I do wonder about it.  I have other friends who are 5'10" and 6'2."  Their kids are all off the charts for height and low %iles for weight.  But the genetics make sense, so they/the pedi have no concerns about the discrepancies.

As long as your kid(s) are growing on their own curve and aren't showing signs of nutritional deficiencies and are "normal" cognitively and developmentally, there probably isn't anything to worry about.  The pedi may be obligated to keep an eye on them, but take the charts with a grain of salt and just accept that your kid is doing his/her own thing growth-wise and that's ok and it's not a reflection on you or your parenting if you don't have a giant-child.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter's records show that she shrunk between an apt. The Dr. couldn't get her to stretch her feet out and I think just added on a 1/2 inch.

Fram, my Dr. actually said to offer the food first and then the bottle, which is opposite of everything I read. I thought it would cause her to drink less but it hasn't. She has her cereal and veggie for dinner around 5:30 and still drinks her last bottle between 6 and 6:30. The bottle that seems to drop off is the lunch time one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

If anything, I preferred it when DD was hovering around the mid-point of the growth chart.  Blissfully average.  She shot up a bit at her one year, so I'll probably put her on a diet soon.  We could all stand to skinny-down at the GC household. 

Kidding.  I'm kidding. 

I think it's so easy to freak out about trying to do a good job with raising our kids, and the internet doesn't help.  Whenever our pedi comes in with the print-out of growth chart and milestones, he always says to take it all with a grain of salt.  And I trust him b/c when he was worried (at the beginning, when she lost weight after bringing her home) he had us in there every other day for weigh-ins and flat-out told me that we had to supplement.  So now if he says let it ride, I'm good. 

Trouble, are you PHCA, too, or is that IPW?  If you're worried, I'd call and ask for a check-in.  Just to put your mind at ease.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm with Kar. I want my baby to be sexy. NO DOGZ NO FATTIES.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/baby-spanx/1255812

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Daisy, I was going to mention how the charts keep getting revised as kids get heavier younger and younger.  

This might vary culture to culture and could explain why the Asian chart is, apparently, different from the American one (if it is, in fact, different).

What would a parent be expected to do (or expect of themselves with respect to feeding and gaining) if/when the middle of the chart becomes just plain too fat?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Haha... good one lemon.

Thanks for all the support ladies!  I'm totally with you.  I certainly don't want to "fatten" my DS up.  Like I said my DD has always been in the 10-15% range (how, I have no idea because she does have a little belly!), but she's always stayed on *her* curve.  DS dropping off his curve is what I was worried about. 

Kar, I totally appreciate what you're saying, but my DS is only 3.5 months and only on breastmilk at the moment.  Sometimes I have to keep him from getting distracted when on the breast, and when I can't tell for sure what he's taken it gets difficult. 

Quad, it's good to know that your pedi didn't seem very concerned about your DS falling off his chart and thinks that he's meant to be in a lower percentile.  I might be in the same boat with my son.  My DH and and I also aren't very big.  In fact, my pedi used to love to point that out to us when DD would get her weigh in!  LOL.  My MIL is also always telling me about how small DH and SIL were, and my neice and nephew are also tiny. 

Sooooo... I will just have to wait and see what the pedi says.  Until then I will just keep feeding him as he wants and hope he's getting what he needs.  But those big smiles I get must mean he's doing OK!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trouble, I think I'm still responding to the woman who posted a long time ago how she is having a hard time with her baby not having that round, cherub look and asked how to "fatten her baby up."  Didn't mean to go too crazy here because of that, but I guess I got on a roll. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

trouble- at some point, I had to nurse in quiet dark rooms to see if he would eat longer- because distraction can be an issue. However, I also noticed that during those periods, he got a but more irritable - I think because he was always a little hungry!!  maybe you can see (time it) if he eats longer when clearly not distracted and that would help put your mind at ease. (I know that there are other variables too, but it made me feel better when DS stayed focused on nursing, I was more confident he was stopping because he was full and not distracted). hang in there.

my kid is enormous. he towers over other children his age and can now open and close doors (at 15 months) using the handles. however, he isn't chubby- his pants fall off him sometimes (they are 18 months, but he is wearing 2T or 3T on top). He is 30 pounds and 33 inches at 15 months.  I was joking to my husband the other day that I should have some ripped arms carrying him around. The thought of using the bucket seat (as some of you talked about) was pretty funny, we have already had to adjust the convertable car seat up for him. However, he is still a picky eater. I think it all just depends on the kid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

GC - I'm at PHCA.  And actually, I don't think they've told us the percentile since he was 3, or maybe 6 months.  I recall him growing like crazy his first 6-9 months.. and then slowing WAY down.  In fact, I was convinced he hadn't grown from his 9 to 12 month appointment.  He had gained 1/2 pound I think.  But my doc must not be concerned about %iles as they aren't on our charts.  And I never thought to ask.  I do look at the BMI, which I think is funny to calculate on such a litte guy.  He's rocking that... much better than mommy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I asked this question over in pregnancy, but thought I would ask here, as well.

I am about 6 weeks pregnant now, and the only symptoms I have are peeing frequently and more tiredness. Other than that, I feel completely normal. I've had no morning sickness, nausea, food aversions, etc.

I am starting to wonder if I really am pregnant! Did anyone else have no symptoms, or very little during their pregnancy?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I asked this question over in pregnancy, but thought I would ask here, as well. I am about 6 weeks pregnant now, and the only symptoms I have are peeing frequently and more tiredness. Other than that, I feel completely normal. I've had no morning sickness, nausea, food aversions, etc. I am starting to wonder if I really am pregnant! Did anyone else have no symptoms, or very little during their pregnancy?
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Liz - Other than being tired, I had no pregnancy symptoms at all for my entire pregnancy. My mother experienced the same thing with both my sister and me. I also had an easy, uneventful delivery. I loved being pregnant and labor and delivery was an amazing experience. I can't wait to do it again someday. Just try to enjoy it and consider yourself lucky. Which I know is easier said than done. I took about 7 pregnancy tests between receiving my first possitive and my 8 week ultrasound, and even after that worried until I began to show. A mother's worrying starts early and, from what I've heard, never ends!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Crackers, thanks for the reassurance. I have taken like 15 tests (a little obsessive, I know), and every single one says pregnant. I guess it just doesn't feel real until the first u/s!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

re: growth charts -
    check out this link about the WHO growth charts.
    http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm

I believe they are different from the CDC growth charts, which some people still use.  There is a little FAQ about them.

ETA: I just checked our 15 month stats (19 lb and change) on both, and the CDC ones give the 9% the doctor gave us, and the WHO ones give more like 35% or 40%.  Huh!
    But like our doctor said, it's all about her own little curve.  :)
    The reason I knew about this is I have a few friends who have gotten sent to nutritionists because of the baby's "low weight" and the nutritionist told them about the CDC ones being some kind of midwest Nordic heritage sample, and the WHO ones taking a greater breadth of ethnicities into account.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm so behind on posts.

Re: eating - I used to be more concerned about actual weight gain/sustenance when DD was an infant and still on breastmilk/formula.  Now that she's 13 months (today!) and eating solid food, my dilemma with food is trying to figure out whether she is rejecting the particular food I'm offering, or whether she is just not hungry.  It is impossible to figure this out until you've offered everything in the fridge/pantry.  To me, that is the most challenging part of mealtime.  It's not as easy as just saying, "She must be satiated and I should respect that."

Liz - I had no symptoms at all until maybe week 8 or 9 maybe... then my only early symptoms were some food aversions and EXHAUSTION.  Don't worry.

Sections
Shortcuts