November -- Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers

Poppy - We are definitely experiencing some of the mommy obsession.  If I come in the room she comes dashing for me and when I leave she is not so happy.    It is hard because she was seriously the happiest baby and essentially never cried from 2 months to 12 and now we get little protest cries all the time - changing table, car seat, etc.  I guess it is just par for the course.  I keep telling myself it is great that she can express herself, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yes, Luck, us too!  DD hardly ever cried, and now she has a mini-meltdown if we don't let her dump out the cat's water, or similar.  I guess it's just the age and them learning to communicate!  I do love my spirited child!  I have to admit I totally cracked up when she started splashing in the cat's water, and I told her, "no no!" and she did it again, so I got up to stop her and when she saw me coming she splashed and splashed as fast as she could, then dumped the water!  Like, "I have to get all my fun in before mom gets to me!!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Liv!  It's always so nice to hear from people who have a LO around the same age as DD!

Poppy - The cat water story made me lol!  I don't know how we parents manage to keep straight faces.  This weekend, I had my first occasion to make eye contact and use the stern "no" voice and it was so hard not to smile as she looked up at me with her beautiful eyes :o)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... too funny.  It's gotta be the age.  My DS is just starting to be the same.  Sooooo opinionated.  Last night he wanted to walk around with the floor lamp.  My "no, we don't move the furniture" made him very upset.  Tears immediately flow.  And all kinds of things like you mention.  Too funny about the water bowl.  Our cat food is safe behind the gate separating the dining room (the only room off limits to him due to large glass hutch).  Since the cat can jump, and DS can't at the moment... that's where the food/water goes.

We are also having MAJOR mommy obsession too.  Its adorable but can be so annoying when trying to do something w/o him.

Oh, and don't get me started on diaper changes.  Yikes... I feel like I'm going to break him in two holding down his flapping body.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

IPW, I hear you on the aerobic diaper changes! 

And all of you on the mommy-love.  DD has had a cold the last few days and only wants me.  I guess I feel a little good about that, especially since DH has been home with her for about 8 of her 12 months and I've felt guilt and jealousy about that, but it is really rough to sleep when she has to be touching me!!! 

She also has definitely come into a strong-willed personality of late.  Lots of pointing for things she wants, crocodile tears if she is told no or doesn't get what she wants, and very clear on what she will and will not eat.  Still for the most part a very sweet little person, but she has begun to make her opinions known!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Today DD is 3! Yay! 
    The opinions will only get stronger from here on out. DD gets totally bent out of shape if we do certain things, like I am still taking flak for flushing the upstairs potty last week. Now every time we use it, she tells me "I flush this potty, Mommy flushes the downstairs potty" because otherwise I might forget and flush it again. It's both adorable and oh so frustrating, because she dawdles so much I just want to hurry up and be done. I am glad DD wants to be independent and do things herself, but I also hate spending 20 minutes on a simple bathroom break.

Edit: Really BDC, flak  is a no-no word when spelled with a C? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Happy birthday, baby amy-lynn!  (Or, I guess, not a baby!)

Poppy, that is SO funny.  Our LO is the same.  We got her on video thinking about inflicting damage on the Ferber book (she knows what's up) and then when I start to come for her she throws the book and scoots away as fast as she can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh Amy - I feel your pain.  I have twins in the bathroom now (28 months) and sometimes I feel like I will never get out.  DS likes to play with the shutters on the window - DD likes to play with the sink. They both love to flush my ancient toilet - even if they've only peed one drop. It is so exhausting sometimes I want to weep.  I have to finally resort to singing "One More Minute" and then manhandling them out of there. (sigh).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Misslily - wow- if I had two I think I'd never get to leave the bathroom. The only saving grace is that DD has an iron bladder - She doesn't have to go very often,  but when she does go, it is similar - all the bath toys have to be greeted if we are upstairs, downstairs she wants to use each guest towel (and I am ruing the fact that the Halloween ones are each different, as each one has to be described and ranked before use.) And if any eating has transpired since the last potty break, she will need to brush her teeth. Even if she hasn't eaten she wants to, but I can usually get her to agree to wait without the tantrum. 
    I was using the counting to ten after several warnings about being done, which still works for just about everything else, but has now become part of flushing the potty- She wants me to count to ten before she will flush- so that backfired (sigh) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Yes, my DD is 15 months and we have had bouts of mommy obsession.....which I have to say I don't mind all that much.  We also have the strong opinions, which have recently turned into mini temper tantrums.  She will actuall throw herself on the ground and cry.  It only lasts about 30 seconds, but I still don't like that she does that.  She usually only does the temper tantrum when we try to take something away from her that she doesn't want to give up.  I am a bit at a loss of how to handle it.  I do try to pick her up and calm her down....is that bad?  Am I rewarding her behavior?  I have also been thinking that maybe I should give a warning first like the minute before I take it away (unless it is something dangerous of course)?

Otherwise, we are all doing great.  This is a very fun age and DD has gotten very silly and much more vocal lately!  She has about 5-6 words that she will say and know what they mean.  She actually will repeat "night night" when it is bedtime and start walking towards the stairs! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Happy birthday, little Amy-Lynn!

Yes, some of you expressed it better than I did - when I tell her "no" and stop her from doing something (like carrying around furniture - *love* that lamp story, IPW), she just breaks down into this terribly sad cry.  Like, total despair.  So, of course, I scoop her up and give her kisses and she learns nothing.  (except that mommy is a sucker)

Memes - we've had a few tip-of-the-iceberg mini temper tantrums, and I've just been trying to let her just get it over with and not give her any attention for it.  But it's very difficult.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Happy Birthday, Little Amy-Lynn!

I love it that DD is around the same age as some of your little ones because we are going through many of the same issues.  DD is 15 months and is in mommy mode.  I'm enoying it although its making drop off a little more difficult.  There isn't any crying but she is really reluctant to go to the teacher but pick up is a joy.  Last month she would run when she would see me but its nice to hear "mama" when I enter the room.

We've had mini temper trantrums.  I try to ignore and distract her (simliar to Memes, the trantrums usually occur when I take something from her). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Happy birthday, little Amy-Lynn! Yes, some of you expressed it better than I did - when I tell her "no" and stop her from doing something (like carrying around furniture - *love* that lamp story, IPW), she just breaks down into this terribly sad cry.  Like, total despair.  So, of course, I scoop her up and give her kisses and she learns nothing.  (except that mommy is a sucker) Memes - we've had a few tip-of-the-iceberg mini temper tantrums, and I've just been trying to let her just get it over with and not give her any attention for it.  But it's very difficult.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

I don't know.  I think if she STOPS doing what she was doing when you say to stop (even if it is to fall into despair and receive kisses) it's not a total wash.  It's kind of like the kissing/hugging is distracting her from whatever she's doing that's dangerous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I have no idea right or wrong, but when I get the face down into hands, tantrum despair, I let him just have it. I give him a moment, but stick nearby. Then I come back saying "are you better," "can we stop the tears please.". I pick him up and snuggle once he's started to slow down the tears, and then because he still is so young and can't really understand all my words, I try to redirect with something fun. Then lots of praise when the tantrum is over. Also LOTS of praise when he does listen to "Please don't unroll all the toilet paper," or "Please don't eat the remote," and actually doesn't, or at least stops doing those things w/o any tears. On a very separate note, we went for his first, official haircut today at Snip-Its. I've done it probably 7-8 times, but I am by no means a barber. He looks so adorable...but really looks like a little boy now. Sad that I've officially lost my little baby. I'll post a photo on our FB page.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Doesn't showering a tantrum-throwing toddler with hugs and kisses to end the tantrum foster that response?  What is the benefit to the tantrum/hug-kiss cycle?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I wasn't really interpreting Poppy's story of her DD's sad cry as a tantrum.  When my daughter has a tantrum she turns into a little mini hulk.  She gets ANGRY.  When that happens we just pick her up and put her in her room for a few minutes (set a timer) to cool down.  There's usually no distracting her from whatever she's focused on.  If she just gets dramatic/sad about something in a theatrical way (much more common on days she's been at daycare, where apparently they believe her act as genuine and not just crocodile tears) we just distract her somehow or just remind her that we're not her teachers and crying doesn't work.  Sometimes I just have to say that and she STOPS crying--immediately.  Just shuts it off.  Her face stays all red and puffy from her copious tears, but they were just fake.  Other times she persists and we distract her by blowing raspberries on her belly, picking her up and bringing her to a different room to start a new activity, or holding her, rocking her, and quietly reminding her we're not going to do what she wants even if it does make her sad.

I was thinking the kisses and hugs Poppy was talking about were kind of like that, consoling her but not giving in to any of her demands.  Sometimes she does get really sad that we're not going to let her do every dangerous thing she wants to do just because she thinks it's a good idea.  Let's face it, we all get sad about reality sometimes :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

reality does, in fact, often suck.  

ETA:  Hey, look at the "dirty" word I was allowed to post! Embarassed

ETA #2:  But, wouldn't a parent agree that by not validating the "horror of reality" with super duper mommy comfort hugs and kisses to quell a disproportionately gigantic negative response (i.e. full on tantrum) caused by being told, "Please don't do that," it might make it easier for the child?  Ignoring it to a large degree might actually be more comforting than tons of validation that, in fact, it was a horrible, hurtful thing to be told so it requires lots of hugs and kisses to make up for it.  While we can all agree that being told "Please don't do that" is a bummer, it shouldn't be encouraged to rise to the level of complete disaster by a response that rewards the sobbing and validates the exaggerated negativity over it.  Should it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Who knows Kar... every day it seems I struggle with something where I think "hey, maybe I shouldn't do this because he/she's always going to think that A+B=C".  I pick my battles and sometimes ignoring seems to work the best, sometimes I know I need to stand firm on a decision that I've made, and sometimes the older one runs to Daddy to try to get a different answer out of him.  All I know is that they're pretty manipulative and cunning at the ripe old age of 3, and I'm sure that I've done some things that I shouldn't have with the kids (i.e. it took us a while to break DD of her chocolate milk habit).  I just stick with my basic rules of 1) always following through with whatever I say  2) making sure that my kids are nice to others, 3) letting them learn from their mistakes, and 4) never letting Barney into our lives.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Oh and my kids throw a tantrum over the stupidest things sometimes.  I have learned that my oldest is easily distracted from a tantrum by shouting "hey look!  A squirrel!!!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love the "Look!  A squirrel!" distraction and your rules - my mom had the same ones, although, thankfully, Barney had not been created yet.  3 year olds are smart and manipulative, indeed.  We've all seen kids who obviously are manipulating Mom to get "comforted" for disintegrating into a pool of crocodile tears over essentially nothing.  Mom thinks she has an extra sensitive child and inadvertently perpetuates the tantrum cycle, and the child knows all he's extra sensitive about is how to control mom.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Happy Monday Ladies!

Before I start my work day, a question. Now that it's static season and winter, my daughter's baby curls get all fuzzy on the back of her head from sleeping, playing on the floor or pulling her hat's off.

Is there anything I can do aside from conditioning that will keep this fuzzy in back look at bay? I feel it makes me look like a negligent mother who isn't combing her baby's hair!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

ML - I don't have any real recommendation although you could try No More Tangles (or what ever the real name is) by Johnson and Johnson.  I want to say that bed head doesn't make you look like a negligent mother.  I do though when I let Cousin It aka my 3 year old out of the house with out doing her hair 'cuz I don't feel like fighting with her to do it or I've run out of time before we need to leave.  :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Anyone have any ideas for getting my 1 year old to take her amoxacillin?  She was diagnosed with her first ear infection last week, and when she sees the pink stuff coming (have tried spoon, plunger, regular spoon, bottle) she immediately gets on the defensive.  Sticky pink stuff ends up on me, her, and everything near us!  Funny, since she's never had the stuff before, and she loves the baby Advil and baby Tylenol. 

I did have success today by injecting it into one of her fruit pouches (the Plum baby ones).  Should I just stick with this method? 

Suggestions are welcome!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

luv--mixing them into food was the only way we could get DS to take his antibiotics. Hope your daughter feels better soon!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

feel better, baby Luv.  And best of luck to her mom!

ML, we have that back of the head mess, too.  They make sprays that are basically leave in detangler for kids.  I haven't tried them, though.  Our LO gets it all fuzzed up again in the car seat, so I have just given up.
    I know how you feel - this weekend at breakfast (waffles), she rubbed butter hands in her hair and she looked SO neglected and greasy all day!