November -- Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers

Lissa's right - I wasn't talking about a tantrum, it's more a "woe is me" sort of cry.  When she does get mad about something, I tend to stand nearby and either wait for it to be over, or distract her with something.  We've never had a true writhe-on-the-floor tantrum, but I'm sure they're in our future.

dz - my SIL is a nanny and says there is a "baby hair spray" (probably similar to what Medford mentioned).  I'll ask her what it is and where to get it.

I find myself meal-planning based on what we're doing later that day.  Going to a birthday party?  No peanut butter for breakfast.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"Woe is me" crying can lead to a manipulative cycle of sobbing and comforting, too, can't it?  I'd think that once they learn what gets hugs and kisses from mom in abundance is something they will learn quickly to repeat as often as possible.

Wow, she is absolutely adorable - great pic!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, I like your little peanut butter head baby!!  :)
    This is what I meant with the detangler:
    http://www.amazon.com/Johnsons-Tangles-Spray-Detangler-Ounce/dp/B0013UAPVK
    I have seen other brands for sale at Whole Foods, too.

I think a lot of times "silly" hugs and kisses and playing are part of the distraction techniques for ending pouty crying and heading off tantrums.  At least in our house, it's not like the hugs are all concern and consolation as they would be if there was a real injury or problem.  It's more like a form of playing.  For us, I'm okay with it if she can be distracted from grumpiness by silliness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ha!  I couldn't help posting that peanut butter pic.  It's so small, though, you can't see all the bits sticking to her face, hair, and hands.  I'll probably delete it at some point.

Since DD is only 1 year, I haven't truly transitioned into the disciplinarian.  I just feel like she isn't old enough to understand what is going on when I take something away, so she gets sad.  Also, it's hard to explain but there is a difference between her sad reaction and her attention-getting "boo hoo hoo" reaction when I'm telling her "no you can't play with the hot oven" or taking something away.  When she is truly sad about it, it makes me want to comfort her while at the same time explaining why I took the thing away.  If she's doing the fake crying and looking at me to see my reaction, I don't give in.  I'm sure all of that will morph over time, but right now it works for us...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She's old enough to learn what gets mom's attention best and reproduce the action for the desired reaction.  I'm not suggesting in any fashion that she should be disciplined for it at all!  But, being super rewarding/comforting of a sob fest over "no, please don't do that," seems like it might possibly set up a cycle of crying her hardest over what really amounts to be nothing.

I'm not judging, correcting or anything, just plain suggesting that if her inordinately sad responses always garner tons of hugs and kisses to comfort her she MIGHT be more prone to respond in a hyper-sad way, working herself up to get more positive attention than she would have otherwise.

Kids take their cues about what is a big deal (or not) from their parents' emotional reactions long before they are very verbal.  Your rush to comfort sobbing over nothing validates that it's something to be super upset about...don't you think?

The "terrible twos" don't just happen mysteriously on a child's second birthday.  The way is paved as soon as they learn about pushing mom's buttons.  It starts before 2, but that's when it gets going in full swing, being very verbal and practiced at it by 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kar - with all due respect I think you're being a little analytical about this.  There is a difference between distracting tears with hugs and belly raspberries and giving in to a tantrum.  I think - for me at least - as a mom you just figure it out.
    Sometimes they cry when you forbid them to do something for their own safety. I think some cuddles and hugs are fine in that situation.They really are sad and simply don't understand why they can't open the oven - after all, mommy does.  Sometimes they throw a tantrum when you say no to cookies before dinner - that's when you ignore the tears.
    I think most moms figure it out.  And I don't think Poppy is paving the way for a little "heckraiser" by offering some cuddles to dry her LO's tears.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're probably right.  I'm very analytical, often to a fault, admittedly.  No offense meant toward Poppy or others.  I drove my poor, laid back DH bananas when we got a puppy - can you imagine how our "conversations" about training went??!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I never get to post anymore, I think I'm having withdrawal! I used to be able to use my lunch break to post but now I am hiding in my closet pumping!  I do get to scan through posts at night while DS is nursing while on my ipod and love reading all the updates!  
          This weekend I learned that DS can sit up (almost 7 mon), he's actually been tripod-ing since 5 months and I've been waiting for him to get more steady. Figured, it would just take some time...well he was in a disposable diaper yesterday as opposed to the cloth he's usually in, and he sat up for a few minutes straight.  I couldn't believe it!  Now I feel bad that he can't sit up when he's in cloth diapers. Anyone else have this problem?  I figure he'll just have to learn to sit with them...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ajuly - I know exactly what you mean.  I noticed the same thing with our cloth diapers; it seemed like they were impeding her from getting up straight because of the bulk in front of her belly.
    Don't have a solution, but 3 ideas... 1) try a cloth diaper forum (I think there is one called diaper pin and another run by the store the diaper lab in Somerville); 2) our LO was able to move much better when we switched to a pocket diaper (in our case, fuzzi bunz), but we had many more pee leaks than we used to have with separate diapers and covers; 3) it's probably nothing to worry about because whole generations wore them and they developed okay.  I know that not worrying is easier said than done.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Good Morning!  So many thoughts on this beautiful Tuesday morning… Since DD is now crawling all over the place, I put her in her crib to play this morning.  Is that a bad idea to have them play where they sleep?

DD is now in her convertible car seat and it seems like I can’t get it tight enough no matter how hard I try.  Did anyone else have this problem?  Does anyone have the First Years True Fit?

DH finally had a weekend off, so we switched our bedroom with the baby’s.  Her old room was just too cold.  Her new room is a bit cramped, but I was shocked that we found a way to fit the crib, dresser, rocker, changing table, and queen bed.  We now have the bigger bedroom, which is fabulous because we’ve been in the small bedroom for 4+ years.  We feel so spoiled now :o)

Ordered her Christmas Eve and Christmas dresses online.  I’m a little too excited for them to arrive!  She’s not even 9 months now, but will be 10 by the time she wears them, so I had to order size 12m – crazy!!  She is going to have her picture taken soon with her cousin who is 10 weeks younger.  Should be cute!!

Ajuly - I've been meaning to ask for ages if you ended up doing cloth  diapers.  That's great!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - no offense taken at all.  I totally understand speculating about/analyzing things like this.

Fram - I find the convertible car seats terribly difficult to get tight enough for my satisfaction.  I have to literally sit on top of them as I'm attaching them to the car, which is no easy feat since I am not a small person.  I'm always sweating and exhausted when I'm done.

Ooh - Christmas frocks!! Yay! Where did you order yours?  I got one from Kohl's, but like you I think I'd like a separate one for Christmas Eve.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Poppy :o)
    I actually meant that I can't pull the straps tight enough when I put her in. It's driving me crazy!!  Last week I literally didn't want to drive her to day care, but I figured out the problem and now the straps are just a TINY bit more loose than I would like.

I ordered her Christmas dress from Macy's during their Veteran's Day sale and I ordered her Christmas Eve dress from Target.  They are so cute!!  I had to order them (or perhaps pretend I had) before the MIL bought dresses for DD. 
    Does anyone have a Target card?  I just noticed that you get free shipping when you use one.  It might be worth it for me because I heart Target.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

AJuly - Just call or email Diaper Lab, they will definitely be able to help you. Every time I think I am going to give up my cloth dipes, Laura or Jen has talked me off a ledge. They are awesome! (jen@diaperlab.com)

We have Bum Genius pocket diapers, and I can't recall a problem with sitting up ever, it's just like a slightly thicker diaper than a disposable.

I had not even thought about Christmas dresses!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Kar, I had a funny image of you explaining very clearly to your dog why s/he couldn't go outside.  In a very Spock-like voice, "No, Mr. McSnuggles, that is not the logical course of action at this juncture" :)

I can get over-analytical too.  It's especially bad when I start lying awake at 3AM, strategizing how I"m going to tackle some problem instead of sleeping. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh Kar - I knew you weren't trying to offend. You often have really great insight and I just know you're going to be a wonderful mom someday.

I got DD her Christmas dresses at Hanna Anderssen.  They are having a sale right now.  Her first year I spent a fortune at Abagails in Wellesley for a lovely smocked red velvet dress that she wore for the Christmas card photo.  So I buy cute Hanna's - like red with white snowflakes patterns or something - that she can wear again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh!  Sorry, totally misunderstood and made it all about me.  :)

I hadn't even thought to look at Macy's for a dress - that's a great resource.

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Hi Poppy :o) I actually meant that I can't pull the straps tight enough when I put her in. It's driving me crazy!!  Last week I literally didn't want to drive her to day care, but I figured out the problem and now the straps are just a TINY bit more loose than I would like. I ordered her Christmas dress from Macy's during their Veteran's Day sale and I ordered her Christmas Eve dress from Target.  They are so cute!!  I had to order them (or perhaps pretend I had) before the MIL bought dresses for DD.  Does anyone have a Target card?  I just noticed that you get free shipping when you use one.  It might be worth it for me because I heart Target.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your understanding of my intent and your kind words.  Hope to join the discussion as a mom someday...

And, yes, I actually do speak to our Flabrador, Gracie, in a Spock-like tone sometimes.  Most often, "You are not going to get any more to eat.  You've had enough.  It is illogical to cry for more." Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Oh!  Sorry, totally misunderstood and made it all about me.  :) Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Not at all - I'm happy to share in your convertible seat misery :o)

And Kar - Maybe that's how I should be telling my cat to stop begging for food!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, DH is more like the good Dr. McCoy (he's a salesman not a dog trainer, dammit!), and he caves to her cries so it doesn't really work - she begs every night. Darn these illogical humans and their emotions.  ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Haha, Dr. McCoy.  Have you ever seen that internet mash-up of him saying "he's dead, Jim" over and over and over again in different scenes from different episodes.  My dad sent to me shortly after discovering the internet and it makes me giggle every time I watch it haha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Oh thanks ladies, never thought about asking diaper lab.  We have a mix of bumgenius and fuzzibunz, both one size. So they are bulkier since they're snapped up smaller now. 

Fram- how did you know DD was ready for the new carseat? I know DS will never be in the bucket seat to hit the 30 lb weight limit. So i know that he will outgrow it in length first. How long is too long for a bucket seat. DS's heels are at the very edge of the seat.  

Oh another question I've had on my mind- how long do people usually continue to pump at work?  I plan to BF till DS is 1, so I was thinking that I'd have to pump until then. (He eats every 3 hours now at 7 mon and takes 2-3 bottles when I am gone).  I heard from a LC that most moms stop pumping at 10 mon..  Do babies typically go longer between feedings at this point?  And I am sure supplementing with food fills babies up more as they get older and get more food... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Haha, Dr. McCoy.  Have you ever seen that internet mash-up of him saying "he's dead, Jim" over and over and over again in different scenes from different episodes.  My dad sent to me shortly after discovering the internet and it makes me giggle every time I watch it haha.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

LOL, yes, it's awesome! :D

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Just a heads up to folks...Snapfish has buy one set, get one free on holiday cards through today, and another promotion that's 30% off + free shipping.

DD and I did a "photo shoot" with her in a green velvet dress, and I ordered our cards last night.  I'm not ready for it, but the Christmas season is definitely coming!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

For pumping, it is up to you... how your supply is doing with the pumping and how willing you are to keep pumping.

Because DS was so bottle resistent as it is with breastmilk (forget trying something different like formula), I ended up pumping regularly until he hit a year. After he hit a year to 13 months, I slowly cut back on the pumping (reducing output from 3 bottles to 2 bottles then to 1 bottle) and had his teachers start mixing up his sippy cups (he had moved to sippys by this point) with whole milk and breastmilk together to ease him into the taste of milk. Once we transitioned him to straw cups (sippies were only marginally better than bottle in that he did not throw or push the sippies away as much, but straw cups he loves and will drink milk without any issues), and I finally just recently (14.5 months) cut all pumping out so he drinks only whole milk and water during the day and a mix of milk, water and nursing at home.

I know another mother in his room stopped pumping at a year when she switched her LO to whole milk during the day (we both are still doing the morning and evening nursings), and I know I am quite lucky in that it is quite easy for me (my company has a great nursing room with wifi setup and all my work is online so I could still work and pump). And some moms have stopped earlier - so it is up to you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very often, pumping, specifically how long you can do it, doesn't go according to plan.  People I know stopped because they had to at some point, not because they hit the date. Be prepared for doing what you end up needing to do and, well, um, just go with the flow.