November -- Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers

Ajuly - A baby has outgrown the bucket in length when the top of their head is up past the top of the bucket - Feet off the other end don't matter. But if you are still able to lift and carry a baby that big, you have amazing muscles! We kept DD in the bucket for about a year, because she was such a peanut, but moved her to the rear-facing convertible seat because I just couldn't lift the bucket in and out of the car, despite her being much less than the weight limit, and still below the height limit, of the seat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

So I just had to share...
    We were on our way to the store this morning and I had both of my twins sit on the potty before leaving.  I decided I should go too, and when I did my son started clapping and saying "Great job, Mama." :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Be prepared for doing what you end up needing to do and, well, um, just go with the flow.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Heh heh.
    Yes, quite true!  And I think the easy answer is that (providing all goes well) you pump for as long as it is working for you and as long as you intend to give the baby BM while you're away at work.  It's a pump-to-fill-the-need situation.
    For me personally, I dropped from two pumping times per day to one pumping time per day around 11 months.  She wasn't nursing as frequently on days I was with her and she wasn't taking as much in bottles... so it made sense.  Then around 13 months I stopped pumping all together, at the same time that I stopped nursing her during the day and just did wake up / bed time.  For us, it worked well to have the pumping situation mirror the nursing situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ajuly - Sorry I'm no help.  DD didn't outgrow the infant seat yet; I just couldn't stand to carry it anymore!  DH uses it in his car and I have the convertible seat in mine.

Regarding pumping, I too hope to make it to one year.  DD is almost 9 months.  Around 6 1/2 months we had to start one bottle of formula every day because my frozen stash was gone and I never did get enough.  At this point there is usually one day a week where she gets 2 bottles of formula because I don't have enough BM.  She eats solids twice a day, but still gets the same bottles now - 3 6-oz bottles.  On the weekends she seems to eat less, but day care insists that she sucks down her bottles, so the solids haven't led to fewer bottles or oz yet.  I hope that helps somehow... I think I am babbling...

I'm not sure I follow what the LC meant when she said most mothers stop pumping at 10 months??  Just in general or because of solid foods or ??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Oh good to know that I can keep DS in the bucket seat for a while longer. We're hoping that his grandparents will buy him a new carseat for xmas.  They get big so fast, i want him to stay in the bucket seat forever so that he's always facing me in the stroller! 

And thanks for the advice on the pumping. Don't know why the LC said that many women stop at 10 mon.  I'm not sure what he is going to drink when I'm not BF anymore bc of allergies...if he still has a milk/soy allergy then I wonder what he would drink.   Since it's all supply and demand it makes sense that as long as he is taking a bottle when I'm not home, I'll be pumping.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder if 10 months is around the time that many women who are pumping at work can't take it anymore.  As soon as you reduce how much you express, the less you produce, of course, and after 10 months of doing that at work I think just about anyone would be sick of pumping (not necessarily bf'ing, mind you, just the pita of pumping) so maybe that's why the LC said that.

However, like you say, generally expressing = producing.  So, I'd figure that barring any unforeseen problems, if you express/pump at the same rate very diligently every day you'll keep producing at the same rate indefinitely, cruising right on past the 10 month mark.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

FWIW, most insurance cos stop covering their portion of the cost of renting a pump after 10 months.  That may play into it too.  I was an EP'er and by 9 months, I was starting to feel "done" with pumping, so I timed the end of pumping to coincide with the end of insurance covering their 80% of the rental cost. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

DS had his first away from home sleepover last night.  It was at Nana's, so I wasn't worried about how he would do.  I was worried how I would do.  It was just beyond weird waking up to a quiet monitor and empty bedroom when for 13 months, someone has been there.  I didn't like it at all.  DH and I both had to work late last night, so MIL picked him up from daycare, and since she watches him on Fridays, she suggested that he just stay over.  Logistically made the most sense... but now 24 hours later since the last time I gave him a squeeze... I'm missing him like crazy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

IPW - I hear ya.  The only nights I've been away from DD were when I was in the hospital for DS.  Sometimes I even miss her when she's in her room sleeping! 

AJuly - I'm planning to pump as long as I can for DS.  My time was cut short with DD due my second pregnancy, but I tried my hardest even with her.  I finally stopped pumping when she turned 11 months and I was getting a mere 5 oz from 3 sessions!

AFM, OMG when will DS sleep through the night??  When??  OK, he's only 3.5 months, so it's not unusual, but I feel like everytime I think we're close, and he sleeps for 6-7 hrs, the next night he's up every 3 hrs.  He's still in our bedroom, and last night even the slightest noise from us woke him up.  Maybe it is time to move him into his own room.  I was trying to wait until he was sleeping thru, but maybe that is being counterproductive.  My DH said he's been fussy this week, so maybe something else is going on too.  He's still catnapping during the day and has no schedule yet.  I'm probably being unreasonable as he's still so young, but I'm just so exhausted!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - I know how you feel!  I worked from home recently on a day the LO was at daycare and even that was strange -- it had been so long since I had been at home without her.
    Trouble - hang in there... it's so hard when you're not getting enough sleep.  :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

It's been so crazy I haven't posted in a while.

poppy - we have had the same clingy issues with our DS and me.  He is always wanting me to play, read, hold him and it does get difficult to get anything done.  DH does try but he just wants me.  I also think he is getting two more teeth on the bottom as he has been chewing on everything and anything he can.

DS also has the mini-crying fits when we stop him from doing something or say no. He also has mini-tantrums now where he will stomp his feet. 
    That is so funny about playing in the water as much as she could and then dumping it before you get there...so smart of her to even think of that!

memes the night-night is so cute!

We are going for our first haircut.  Well DH and DS are.  For some reason DH feels that a boys first haircut is to be done with his father.  I don't know how I feel about that but I have had lots of only mommy and DS moments so I'm just letting it go.

Oh ML I feel you though it isn't just this season for us.  DS' hair is so curly it always just looks like we don't comb or do anything.  Does anyone have any good recommendations for curly hair?  Shampoo?  Conditioner?  What do you do?

I haven't even begun to think about a Christmas outfit. 

We actually switched like Fram because we hated carrying it and DH started taking DS to daycare so we needed a second seat.  So we put the convertible seat in our car (the one we use most often) and DH used the infant seat until DS was just too big for it.

IPW we had the same reaction.  We went out to dinner with friends on a Friday night and it just made sense for DS to stay over at my parents.  We both woke up early on Sat morning and got dressed and went right over for breakfast...when we got there everyone including DS was still sleeping!  It was 9am!

Trouble so sorry you are so tired. Hang in there! 

AFM, DS is becoming a climber.  Just this morning he got quiet and there he was sitting on the dining room table.  A couple of weeks ago he pushed a stepstool I left by the stairs into the dining room and used it to climb on the piano. I don't know how to babyproof for climbing!!

Otherwise we are good.  A couple of sleepless nights this week.  Not sure if it is the cold he has or teething.  Thankfully I am getting back my energy in the second trimester.  Makes the days and evenings so much easier!

Is everyone excited for Thanksgiving?  I just love the holidays!! 

Any good suggestions for gifts for the LO?  He is almost 15 months.  I want to also plan ahead to next summer since his bday isn't until Sept.  He doesn't have a lot of outdoor toys and things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Disregard about the gifts...just so the whole thread on it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

• LLLE welcome to my world - BOTH my twins climb, but DS is worse than DD.  I had to build a "safe room" - took everything out of my dining room, put in toys and playmats - no furniture at all. That's where they go when I need to go to the basement for laundry etc.
      My highchairs have to go in the mud room between meals. The kitchen chairs are in the living room (gated) between meals. No stools anywhere. Had to finally take down the changing table too - climbed on it all the time. Can't leave a bathroom open -he climbs on the toilet.
      Make sure you attach your big screen TV (if you have one) to the wall.
      Had to take the handles off the kitchen drawers too - he was using them as a ladder.
      He climbed out of the crib at 22 months - she fell out 3 days later and I had to put them on mattresses on the floor. Nothing else in the room. No bureau, bookshelf, bedside table, nothing. (Pedi suggested it - also said, no crib tents for heavy duty climbers - just not safe).
      All that being said, I suppose it's easier to follow one around and "teach" them not to climb. But it's harder with twins. I always seem to be in the middle of something with one when the other starts to get up to something.
    • Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Hi everyone, since going back to work I haven't had time to post before now.  I can't believe I have been back to work for 2 months now.  We finally have a routine down though DD has decided she doesn't like to nap much anymore so it makes for cranky evenings! Work is very stressfull, I am working less hours than before so that I can see DD before she goes to bed and there seems to be so much more work.  I am still getting 2 pumping sessions in a day though it is hard to make the time sometimes. 

Since starting daycare I think she has been healthy for one week, she seems to be in a state of constant congestion poor thing.  She is still happy as can be so that is good.  

We started DD on cereal last week and for 3 days she loved it, grabbed the spoon and was happy.  Now she screams and won't even let me near her, is this normal?  I am guessing maybe she is just not ready and we should take a week or so off and try again.  She just seemed like she was so hungry all the time, wants to nurse 3 times between 6-9 at night.  

I hope everyone is doing well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

DD is 15 months and still in the bucket seat. Her feet hang off the end, but her head is still inside the bucket. Our pedi says keep her in there as long as possible up to two years. We hope to make it through the winter, and we are fortunate she is also a peanut. I haven't had trouble carrying the bucket, but to be honest, DH does most of the bucket carrying!

We like the control the bucket seat offers, and love using the snap and go to take her on the train. We still take her out to breakfast in the bucket seat and she stays put, whereas we had to do the walk of shame when she was on one of those square highchairs they have at restaurants - too much freedom!

As for the pumping, I stopped at 10 months too, it just naturally evolved that way. I was only pumping 3 oz. AT BEST with two-three sessions as day at work. The sessions were disruptive to the work day and I got upset seeing so little milk in the bottles for all my efforts. She was eating great, didn't mind formula at all so I gave up pumping at that point, nursed when I was home and DD self-weaned at just under a year. :) I still miss it three months later!

My mom's club had a pre-school fair last week that included a few daycare options we wanted to check out. It started this whole dialog at our house about best choices over the next 17 years or so! Anyway, we went to an open house at the Montessori school we were interested in - She won't start pre-school for two years (other schools we were interested in have toddler programs, this one doesn't) but if she goes there full time it will cost about as much as my first year of college! It is likely we will save our money for private school for those horrible middle school years, but I wonder how many options we will have at that time?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Trouble DS is 4 months and still in our room. He sleeps like a champ and I am scared to move him.

AFM..DS just had his 4 month check up. His weight is low so they want to recheck him in 4 weeks.  He was at 50% and now at 15% so they want to make sure he stays at that percentage.  The doc thinks he was probably just meant to be a smaller baby and everything will be fine.  He also moves alot which is making him burn more calories.  She also told me no food until he eats more.  He only takes about 24 ounces  a day and she said that should be the bare minimum so i have to try and get more into him during the day.  Once he is up to about 35 ounces a day or 6 months, no food. I am totaly fine with that, one less thing I have to think about.  When DD starated food it totally stressed me out and she did not take to it right away anyway. 

DD is just about three.  She is 100% potty trained for Peeing but still tackling the pooping. She still has her constipation issues so it is tough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Quad, I'm totally worried that DS isn't gaining enough weight too.  I can't remember, are they supposed to put on 3-4 lbs between 2 and 4 months?  I have a baby scale and I think he's only gained about 1.5 lbs if that so far and his next checkup is in about 2 weeks.  I really don't know what to do.  He eats about 5oz every 3-4 hours.  A mixture of nursing and pumped milk.  I seems totally satisfied and happy though.  And if I try to force more down him he just spits up.  What are you going to do?  How do you force them to take more?  I feel like in the beginning he was so good and I don't know where I've gone wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trouble, if he's satisfied, happy, and spits up forced down food, I can't imagine he's malnourished or suffering in any way. He'd show signs of starving; it's not like you wouldn't know something was wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Hi Trouble, DS eats on Avg about 5 ounces every 3-4 hours too.  I make 6 ounce bottles and he does not always finish.  He usually takes 5 bottles a day so If i can get him to eat the full 6 ounces 5 times a day that will be 30 ounces and I think that is sufficient.  If I force DS he also spits up a lot so I am not sure I am going to be able to get this into him.  I tried with his last bottle and he took 5 and then a half hour later I gave him the last ounce.  Maybe I will have to do something like that for a while.   

Im not too worried.  DD has always been in the 15% since she was born.  DH and I are not big people so when DS was born at 8.6 lbs and in 50% I was shocked.   I am not going to get overlly stressed about his eating, he is a pretty happy boy so I know he is getting enough food.    I am bringing him back for a weight check in 4 weeks and I am pretty sure he will just stay 15% and that is all the doc is looking for.  If he is less tham that, I will deal with it at that time.   I am sure your DS is fine to!  I have always been a pretty laid back mom but now with the second I am even more so, I know he is fine!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If only adults spit up when we overate - no one would be fat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I feel you on the food and weight gain stuff.  Between her 1 and 2 month visit, DD gained less than a pound, so we were on feeding boot camp after that.  Now at almost 13 months, she's firmly in the 20th percentile for everything (after being off the charts low for a while) and loves to eat!  Her "Mmmmm" when she takes a bite of something kills me!

All's well with us.  DH and I had our little getaway to Portsmouth this weekend and it was perfect!  Weather was beautiful and we spent about 24 hours remembering what it is to be a couple again.  Definitely recommend the getaway idea, and the location! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

You can't force your LO to eat more.  They will eat what they want to and only that amount. And you really should not try to force them to take anymore. If in doubt - get a copy of Child of Mine - she discusses parents doing this and how it backfires.
    My DS got down to the 4% in weight at one point.  He's just a skinny kid - I have to have his pants taken in or they fall right off.  He eats when he's hungry and gains at every appointment - albeit slowly.
    Unless the doctor says you have a real problem or "failure to thrive" issue, just relax and let them be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I worry at times too about DS weight (and height) - although some of it seems to be that he gained weight big time in the first 6 months (more than 2.5 times his birth weight) then suddenly it slowed down and he went from being 70% percentile to being in the 30s (I think he gained a total of like 2 lbs from 6-12 months)... the dr was not worried at his year checkup and we have his 15 month checkup in a few weeks.

But, we only just offer him food frequently and don't force the issue - he seems to make it clear when he wants to eat/nurse and we just try to make sure to offer him something every few hours (and at daycare, he has some of his own food and they usually offer something to eat every few hours - and 1/2 of the time he eats only some or refuses whatever it is). So we figure, when he is hungry, he will eat otherwise, we just put the food away and let him run around with his toys and books.

He is not skinny even though he seems to eat so little, so we will just see how it goes. He has thinned out a lot (people used to compare him to the Michlin man) so we figured he is just slowly running off the baby fat he put on in the first 6 months and bulking up in muscle from all the pushing and running he is doing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]You can't force your LO to eat more.  They will eat what they want to and only that amount. And you really should not try to force them to take anymore. If in doubt - get a copy of Child of Mine - she discusses parents doing this and how it backfires. My DS got down to the 4% in weight at one point.  He's just a skinny kid - I have to have his pants taken in or they fall right off.  He eats when he's hungry and gains at every appointment - albeit slowly. Unless the doctor says you have a real problem or "failure to thrive" issue, just relax and let them be.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Good job!!  Our brains are extremely capable of saying, "no more, thanks," and overriding it can't be good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Gosh, I wish I could be more laid back out the eating thing with my second child, but clearly I'm not!  Thanks, ladies, for talking me down.

Quad, my DD is also tiny (10th percentile) and always has been.  She has stayed on her curve nicely since birth though. 

DS falling off his curve worries me, but I guess I'll see what the pedi has to say when we go in a couple of weeks.  I know it's not a supply issue because I'm pumping loads when I'm at work, so I keep telling myself I'm not doing anything wrong.  Maybe I'll stop with the obsessive weigh-ins for a while :)