November -- Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers

I think a contributing factor to how easily we all get sucked into the the vortex of obsessing over how much food we're feeding our kids is there are so many unquantifiable things about being a mother.  We are trying our best but there's no guarantee the kid is going to turn out ok.  We won't know for sure until later if we are doing it right--we might not ever find out for sure!  Yeah, we can keep track of how old our kid was when s/he reached a certain milestone but those milestones can feel kind of abstract/hazy sometimes.  How much the kid weighs and how tall s/he is is concrete and trackable and easily comparable to EVERY other kid out there, all at once.  It's hard not to get a little obsessed with it.  I remember those first few weeks breastfeeding and freaking out because holy cannoli, I am a mom with an infant completely dependent on me now and how can I know if I'm doing it right?  That first checkup when they told me how much she weighed and I knew ALL those pounds she gained had been fueled ENTIRELY by ME, that was a great feeling.  It was probably one of the few times I will ever have concrete, quantifiable validation that I did my job as a mother correctly.

Then, of course, we let competition and weirdness get in the way, plus a heavy dose of our own ideas/feelings about our own body image and societal pressures and all that.  ugh. 
    Then, just when you think you might be ok you have to go back to work and leave someone else to feed the kid (or keep pumping.  sweet baby jesus, the pumping, ugh.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I'm so behind on posts. Re: eating - I used to be more concerned about actual weight gain/sustenance when DD was an infant and still on breastmilk/formula.  Now that she's 13 months (today!) and eating solid food, my dilemma with food is trying to figure out whether she is rejecting the particular food I'm offering, or whether she is just not hungry.  It is impossible to figure this out until you've offered everything in the fridge/pantry.  To me, that is the most challenging part of mealtime.  It's not as easy as just saying, "She must be satiated and I should respect that."
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    Have you read Child of Mine? I read it later but it would have saved me a lot of aggravation and misery at 13 months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - it gets easier.  at 15 months, she can communicate now if she just doesn't want what is on offer (i.e. she signs all done and makes a horrible face when I try to give her something, but immediately points at the kitchen and makes an insistent noise).

Lissa - that is a really wise post.  I think you are right.  It is these sorts of things that make us feel good.  Along those lines, even though we had a few beat up old lunch bags around, I bought a new one for the LO when she started daycare.  It was frivolous and unnecessary, but every time I pack up that little lunch bag with things for her day, it makes me feel good and secure, like I am a Sustaining Mom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I have not read Child of Mine but will probably pick it up at the library next week, if they have it.

And have you all see the lovely new warnings about dangerous levels of BPA in canned soups/veggies?  Yep, another thing to be afraid of. That, and the formaldehyde in Johnson's baby shampoo, of course.  E gads.

ETA:  Lissa, your post was eerily in line with an email thread going around my group of friends about the canned veggie thing.  One of my friends has a 4 year old son recently diagnosed with PDD(NOS) and it kills me to hear her saying how she is purposefully and obsessively doing the OPPOSITE of everything she did for him with her 1 year old daughter.  How she will always feel that he has this diagnosis because of something she did or didn't do.  She knows it's not rational, but can't stop thinking it.  :(  The rest of us do not have a child with that diagnosis, and we can tell her until we are all blue in the face that she didn't cause this, but in the end what the heck do we know?  We are no comfort to her, and her support groups say, "Yes, you SHOULD be afraid of everything!  Toxins, toxins everywhere!!"  Yikes. So I'm trying to do what you say above, Lissa - remind her of all the things she did to make her children the healthy, active kids they are (because even with the diagnosis, all of her kids are very functional, happy kids).  I think it's a good point to celebrate the small things (and not so small things).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

medford. that is depressing. my kid doesn't even fit on the chart.

another question, kind of going along with size. How can you tell when kids are growing out of shoes? he went from these really expensive stride right walkers- that were really flexible- to these clunky carter light up shoes... and now he walks differently. I can't tell if he is trying to light up the shoes or if they don't bend as much.  he is now in a 6, i think, but the height of his foot (sounds weird, but basically where you try to velcro the shoe closed) doesn't seem to fit in the stride right shoes... I have to actually have them not velcroed completely. sorry, this sounds really confusing. my husband wears a 14, so I expect for DS to have bigger feet than normal, but I am not sure how to find shoes that really fit without spending a fortune.

ps. liz- same thing. not a whole lot of symptoms that early. then similar to poppy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Winter, my friend's son had chubby bear paw feet and she favored Keene and Simple shoes.

I'm reading a series of AMAZING books right now: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=your+two-year+old&x=0&y=0

They're not parenting manuals, they're studies of kids by ages. BY FAR the best and most helpful information I have EVER read in terms of understanding my daughter and becoming a better, more patient parent. They talk about the whole package -- how the physical/mental/emotional development of a child effects his mood or behavior. The part I read last night addressed specifically the gait of the child as she progresses from 2 to 2.5. You might want to check out the book for your kiddo's age because it was all a real revelation to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Poppy - Is there a problem with the canned veggies??  Ugh!  It is a staple for us.  DD eats canned string beans and lima beans like they are candy. 

With regards to the growth charts - I show my parents them at every well visit.  This keeps them informed and me honest - i.e. did I really look and digest the growth of this child.  I can also catch errors in measurements this way.  A lot of kids will come into there own growth chart around 6-9 months that may be different from when they were a newborn.  I do get concerned if a child crosses several percentiles or if the growth has flattened.   A skinny kid growing on his/her curve doesn't worry me.   Weight for height (age less than 2) or BMI % is more helpful with regards to actual nutritional status.

In the first month of life you can expect an ounce a day.  I can't remember if it was Fram for IPW who posted about about but that would be a pound in about 2 weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

canned veggies still absorb some BPA but since you rinse off the liquid they come in it's not as much of an exposure issue as canned soup is (or canned fruit, if the kid drinks the juice the fruit comes in). 
    My daughter loves veggies and I usually just buy them frozen when they're not in season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Anyone else at work today?  I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

We had a nice day visiting my family and then DH's.  DD had her 1st Thanksgiving dinner - some squash, mashed potatoes and turkey!!  She ended up skipping a nap or two, but sometimes you just have to roll with it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Well, I'm about 26 pregnant and just dug out my DD's carseat (which was given to me by a trusted friend).  Being that I am a nurse, I immediately checked the manufacture date on the carseat and it is already 5 years old, which I believe is the expiration date.

This baby will be #2 for us, and I hope to have one more after her.  So, I think even if I squeek by with using it this time 'round we'll have to buy a brand new one for our 3rd and final baby (which I would guess would make the carseat about 7-9 years old by then!). 

Isn't it better to just bite the bullet and buy a new infant seat now and use it for 2 children?  Its already been used by my friend's baby and my now-3 year old.  The handle (which is rubber) is also very sticky, which is gross (even when I cleaned it with soap)... so I don't know if the rubber around the plastic handle is starting to break down.

My DH is very against throwing a 5 yo "perfectly fine" carseat into a landfill just to buy another, and I see his point too.

How do you feel about this?  BTW, the carseat is a Graco Safeseat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Winter--My DS sounds like yours!  He was 28lbs 10oz at his 12 month appt and 33 inches.  He's just huge!  He also wears size 6W shoes.

Hug--I don't know about the expiration date of car seats, but I do know that they seem to make them safer and safer so it's not that your old one might not be safe, it just might not be the safest.  I don't know what I would do in your shoes, my DS only lasted in the bucket seat for about 4 months.  You could just buy a convertible from the get-go and do it that way.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

http://www.thriftyandchicmom.com/2010/07/car-seat-expiration-dates-and-when-you-should-replace-them/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

You should probably replace the car seat. If you want to save some $$$ you could try Kid to Kid in Natick.  I sold my twins infant seats there and I swear, when I sold them the kids had been in them about 10 times. I never went out when they were little. Only doctors appointments and a few other trips. They were practically new! They are very picky about what they take - all the stuff is in reallly good shape.
    Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

thanks guys! MissLily- I love kidtokid! I am surprised they took back a carseat... I was told that it is illegal to re-sell a used carseat (maybe in a different state?) because you cannot tell if it has been in a crash.  I will keep looking.  I want a new one, but DH does not!  Some of the patterns are cheaper than others though, and I def want to stick with Graco so I can keep my 3 bases and snapngo stroller!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

They have a ton of car seats at kid to kid.  They bought mine from me with out batting an eye.  They did make me sign a form that it hadn't been in a crash.  They actually say they wish they got more convertible ones - that's what most people want - an extra for Grandma or the babysitter. But what they get are TONS of infant buckets because kids grow out of them so quickly.
    BabiesRus often has sales - I think to get rid of last years fabric styles. And they have LOTS of Graco.
    Good luck

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I would buy a new car seat.  I used to work for a company that did product testing and after 5 years, the plastic and other parts start to break down and they can fall apart much faster. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

What if you went to one of the car seat installation events at your local police or firestation and asked the installer/inspector what they thought of your car older carseat and if it would work OK?

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Crime+Prevention+%26+Personal+Safety&L2=Traffic+Safety&L3=Child+Passenger+Safety&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=programs_ghsb_new_cps_find_a_technician&csid=Eeops

I'm very anti-plastic, I totally feel what your husband is saying. DD literally has only one thing first hand plastic thing and that is her car seat, It was the one thing I was not messing around with. Everything else, including her bottles are hand me downs.

Mass Department of Public Safety says 6 years or older should be replaced.
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Crime+Prevention+%26+Personal+Safety&L2=Traffic+Safety&L3=Child+Passenger+Safety&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=programs_ghsb_new_cps_replacing_seat&csid=Eeops

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I may need to replace mine simply because we had projectile milk this morning.  Oh what a lovely smell.  And I had to go straight to work after drop off so its been marinating all day!  Yea.

On another note, we had our first major tumble this weekend.  DS is all over the place walking.  Does very well, but doesn't look down.  So if something is in his way on the ground, most likely he'll just keep going.  Well, 5 minutes before I scooped him up for bed, unfortunately he tripped over shoes and went head first into the side of the end-table (a seriously sturdy, boxy table that didn't budge).  From my angle, I thought he surely lost his eye.  I know you are not supposed to overreact, and I'll do better next time (I hope) but I was to him super fast and just tried to comfort those horrible tears.  The bump was immediate, which I think I read is good, shows external swelling rather than internal.  And a nice bruise the next day.  Wouldn't let me do any cold ice/peas/washcloth for his head, so just gave him some tylenol and extended his bedtime a bit longer so I could watch him.  Man, that was tough!

Also had our EI evaluation last Wed.  Did really awesome on the cognitive, social, adaptive tests and fine motor skills, and as I expected, needs some therapy with his gross motor since he can't get up or down on his own. They said he just skipped two steps (crawling and pulling up) and went straight to walking.  So most likely now he's afraid and doesn't have the muscle strength to sit down or stand up.  So I should get my schedule this week for once-a-week therapy.  Looking forward to getting him some help as I can see its now frustrating when he drops something and can't lean over to get it... or when he's walking and wants so badly to sit (he just keeps going, unless he falls).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - glad to hear the EI evaluation went well!  Our EI is for the same area (gross motor) and it is going pretty well.  At 15 months, I would say she can generally pull to stand now.  A big improvement!!  She is sometimes iffy still depending on what she has to pull up on, but it's getting smoother every day, and it's even better if there is something up high that she really wants.  This morning she even stood up just holding on to my leg that was stretched out on the floor in front of me.  Then when she let go and straightened up completely she did fall to sitting, but for her it was great!  Plus that she is getting more comfortable with falling and sitting down.

Hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving.  Our LO had the first taste of pumpkin pie and it was a HUGE hit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

In Response to Re: November -- Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I may need to replace mine simply because we had projectile milk this morning.  Oh what a lovely smell.
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]

Can't you just take the cover off and throw it in the washing machine? Our son threw up in his car seat once when he was sick and it smelt horrific. I took the car seat out of the car and removed the cover and washed it in the washing machine. I then scrubbed down and disinfected the main seat plastic structure. The hardest part was cleaning the harness belts but I found a toothbrush was the way to go with them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nature's Miracle (soak the seat so the product reaches all the milk) works really well.  It's an enzymatic "cleaner" that is marketed for pet accidents, but it works for all organic material to completely eliminate smells deep in things like carseats.  I've used it for pet vomit on carpet.  It works.  It's sold in pet stores or anywhere pet supplies are sold.  (It's not like Febreze - you have to saturate the item allowing the enzymes to digest the entire source of the smell.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My DD gets car sick ALL THE TIME. Wash the cover in the washing machine and wipe down the plastic with soap and water (or lysol wipes). I know they say not to use anything else on the straps - but I've used Lysol and Febreze. It's either that or get a new seat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We have a Britax and it said to hand wash the cover, but after seeing how hard I had to work it by hand, it was not any gentler and now we machine wash it and hang it up to dry.
    I had good luck with our straps just soaking them in water as best I could and then scrubbing with a toothbrush.
    Carsickness is the worst!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Med - as much as I hate cleaning the seat, what I really hate is that the poor thing get motion sick!
    She even threw up on a swing this summer when I pushed her too hard. We were having fun and all of a sudden I saw her lips turn pale. I stopped, but I was too late.
    I have had pretty good luck using child size Sea-bands now that she's over two.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thanks for all these tips.  I started a post before reading these (I will try to delete).  I did take off all the cloth pieces last night and put in washing machine and dryer (tag says ok to do that).  I will need to do it again as it seems to still have the smell.  Will also try a hand wash before the washing machine to get a good scrub.  Its a weird velvetty velour type fabric... so maybe its just sucking it in? I will try to soak the whole seat in solution... but not sure I have that much solution.  I guess I could fill the bathtub?  Our seat is ridiculously huge.  I can't get the straps off the seat... they are permanently attached, so I just used Fantastic and my sponge.  I will try the toothbrush.  I probably didn't use as much as I wanted because I'm nervous DS will suck on them one day.