November Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Re: November Infants and Toddlers

Hi all, I've missed you!! DD#2 was born 8/1 and I've been totally off the internet ever since, other than surfing the web on my iphone while nursing. (I am SO thankful for my iphone!).   As Poppy said, having two kids is totally overwhelming and I'm super busy and have had zero "me" time.  But everything is going great, our little baby is great and our older daughter is adjusting to being a big sister. It's funny, when DD#1 was a baby, I thought newborns were so difficult but now the infant is the easy one and the toddler is the one that has been driving me crazy!!  Can't wait to read all the updates! Like POppy, I'm also back at work now and will hopefully have some more Forum time :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats rama!

I have a sleep question for you all. DD (5 mo next week) usually gets up 1x per night to eat and goes back down easily. Last weekend when she was sick she was up more frequently, obviously. Now that's she's pretty much all better, she's still been waking up 3-4x a night; either fussing or crying. We go check on her and give her the pacifier and she goes back to sleep. I know we're creating a monster by relying on the paci, but not ready to let her cry it out. Do I have any other options, or does anyone have any insight as to why she's suddenly waking more? (assuming her cold is 99% gone)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I bet it's become a habit to wake up so often - started with not being able to breathe well, or otherwise feeling yucky.  Now it's a habit. Perhaps you would consider delaying going in to her for an extra 2 minutes (or whatever) to see if she can soothe herself back to sleep?  She might be able to do it, but doesn't have to if you go in quickly and give her pacifier to her.  And if she's simply fussing, then she might very well put herself back to sleep.  It's not the same as cry it out so you  might be more comfortable with that.

Or just keep going in and hope she'll stop once she feels fully better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

The facebook page is "Friends of Boston.com Wedding and Parenting Forums" ... lots of cute pictures :o)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy and Rama -- Glad to see you back! Congrats, Rama!

Hugh, good to see you on here, too!

Summer, I can't offer much advice but I would say see how far you can go with giving her the chance to soothe herself. We've been lucky with DS's sleeping, but we have let him fuss it out on occasion and only gone in when he seemed really upset. The other day he woke up fussing during his nap and we watched him on the monitor squirm around, find his thumb to suck, and put himself back to sleep, so it seems to have paid off.

I need some snowsuit advice. We want to do fun winter stuff with DS, so my mom bought him one, but it's 2 pieces and doesn't have feet. In my mind, I think I'll want to plop him down and let him play in the snow without worrying about snow seeping in, so I'd been looking for a full one-piece suit with feet, but I can only find bunting that isn't waterproof. What have others found works best?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

arcain-how old is your LO? Are boots appropriate yet?

Summer-when the kids have gotten into the habit of waking up post illness, the thing that's worked for me was to alter the bedtime, delaying it a half our or sometimes longer. it's enough for them to help kick them out of the habit. I noticed this worked when we went away with DS, every time we went away it knocked him out of what weird sleeping routine he'd gotten into. Even a night away in a hotel on the cape. Once I realized a change in routine kicked the habit I created a distraction-later dinner out, home late then straight to bed. Seemed to work for my kids without having to do any CIO. We are not a CIO household.

So, stranger axiety is big for DD now. And it's tough she spent all day with my mother the other weekend and by the end of the day she still refused to go to my mother. DD is 14 mo right now. My mother doesn't take it personally, but I know it's hard. I'm stressin' about Thanksgiving since we'll be at my mother's house with lots of strangers and a dog, and the set up of the house is tough to mingle with the kids and not be totally in the way of cooking. Last year we were labeled "antisocial" since we stayed in the formal living room-which is connected to the formal dining room and not in the kitchen. that coupled with the fact that her house is not kid friendly...but tonight I get to stat baking with DS which will be fun!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Arcain, where is your DS now with regards to crawling, pulling up etc.? If you think he'll be doing any of those things over the next 3-4 months when he would be wearing a snowsuit, then i'd definitely go with a regular snowsuit and invest in a pair of waterproof boots and mittens.  The boots and high socks will keep the snow out and allow him to move around. They sell great mittens that you can pull up almost to their elbows and go under the jacket to keep snow out. 

The other thing to remember/consider is the fact that if it's cold out or a lot of snow on the ground the odds are that your DS is not going to want to spend a lot of time outside.  So don't go crazy picking out the right thing.  Next winter when he's a toddler he will be much more interested in going outside and it will be much more important for him to be outfitted for the snow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

KAM, good luck with Thanksgiving! I hope everyone will be understanding and not call you antisocial!

Rama, DS is 9 months. He's close to crawling (though he's a maddening combination of desperately wanting to crawl but not having the patience to try for more than 30 seconds without whining right now!). I guess I wanted the one piece with feet (like footie pjs) because I thought with boots, etc., he'd get snow inside his snowsuit, esp. if he was crawling. Good point about the cold, though. I'm learning with each stage that the things I think he'll love doing are not necessarily the things he does love (see: sitting in the shopping cart seat :-)).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Arcain - that lesson is one I'm continuing to learn as the things I think my 2.10 year old will love are not necessarily things she is at all interested in! 

One thing you could think about getting DS is a sled that has a seatbelt and a long strap for pulling him.  The first winter wth DD when she was crawling and not necessarily interested in being in the snow we would bring her outside on the sled and drag her around and she liked it (when she wasn't cold).  That way you could take DS outside and get some good pics but not worry so much about snow inside his snowsuit or finding a waterproof one piece. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain, whatever you decide, just don't spend too much money on something for him to wear.  DD LOVED playing in the snow when she was 20 months but the year she was less than a year I got 1 picture of her in the snow in her snazzy new snowsuit -- standing and screaming bloody murder.  She hated it. 

Summer, my girls have always had the same trouble with coming off a cold/bug and having bad habits from being awake more frequently when sick.  Try waiting to her self-soothe and hopefully she'll get back into a good routine.  It's tough because at first when the kid is still kind of so-so and recouperating you feel guilty letting her cry it out. 

KAM, we had the same trouble with being "antisocial' last night at a pre-Thanksgiving bash at my inlaws.  DD is 5 months and officially loses it, hysterical screams, when my FIL comes within 4 feet of her.  He's the type of person who doesn't take a hint, which doesn't help. Plus she's a distracted nurser now that she's older so I have to feed her in a quiet room or she yanks my n1pple all over the place trying to see what is going on around her.  I felt like every time I was anywhere the entire evening I was holding a screaming infant, trying to escape my FIL, in the dark listening to people ask each other where I was, or rescuing my older daughter from being wrestled to the floor by her younger but larger cousin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Hi everyone!  I don't think I've posted since my birth story back in September.  DD turned 2 late last month and DS is 11 weeks old today.  I started back to work yesterday, and am having such a better time with the transition back than I did with DD...combination of being more secure as a mom and more confident about his caregivers, I think.

Lots of things are different this time.  You may remember DD had a terrible time nursing and I ended up pumping for 6 months.  Well, DS is a great nurser, and we haven't had to do any of the finger feeding and supplementing that we did with DD.  The pump is out, but it's so nice to only pump at work or when I want to, rather than being chained to it every three hours.  I tell this to you all so that anyone else who has trouble nursing the first time considers giving it another shot with baby #2. 

DD is a great big sister...loves her baby and always checking on him.  She loves doing tummy time with him, and "helps" me feed him ("Eat, eat, baby!"). 

I've been keeping up with everyone else's posts, just haven't had a chance to do any myself.  One bonus of being back at work is that I can be back on these boards!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

hi, Luv!  great to hear how well you're doing.

KAM and Lissa, I feel you.  I remember the same thing when DD was an infant (and frequent nurser) - being in the other room hearing ignorant relatives saying, "she's eating AGAIN??"  And we now have the issue of DD being skittish around some of the relatives - including also a smaller but larger cousin! - we're just lucky that there is one of her and two of us.  I'm also trying to teach her to say "no thank you" and walk away if she is uncomfortable.  Right now she tends to freeze, which is so sad.  She'll just stand there in paralyzed terror... until the screaming starts.  I guess we'll just keep practicing!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a sleep issue we are having.  My DS, just 2 in October, is getting only about 9-9.5 hours a night.  And napping a max of 1.5 hours midday.  I just don't think this is enough... especially when I see the dark circles under his eyes at the end of the day.  His normal bedtime is 7:30.  We do a very similiar bedtime every night, except now that cold weather is here, bath is every other night.  But a good 20 mins of storytime, brush teeth, etc.  No TV at least an hour before bedtime and dinner is usually around 6-6:15pm.  He loves his crib, and goes in with smiles and hugs.  Then, he stays awake singing, moving around, talking to himself, etc forever.  Never complaining to get him out, but just doesn't go to sleep until sometimes, almost 9pm.  Then, he wakes right around 6am.  I try to leave him in there at least until 6:30am, but he's wide awake.

I've tried shifting bedtime up (6:30pm), tried shifting it back (8pm or even 8:30pm).  Either way, he's still falling asleep around 9pm. 

He's got his usual 2-year old tantrums and such, but none that I can really attribute to him being tired... just him being stubborn.  Is it possible that a 2 year old can only need 9 hours of sleep at night? Daycare says he goes down super easy at naptime, but wakes up before others almost always.  I just keep thinking about everything I've read about how they grow and develop brain power when they sleep.

Last night at 8:30pm I went in and talked to him quietly and rubbed his back.  He actually fell asleep about 10 minutes later.  If I do this every night to help him sleep a bit sooner, am I creating a new bad habit?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There is a range of healthy amounts of sleep. I know a man who has never needed more than 4 hours of sleep every single night, and he is a senior officer in the Salvation Army, not a couch potato...he headed up the NYC SA response to 9/11 when he was 65.  Anyway, I fully understand that's not the same as a developing, growing 2 yo, but it does illustrate that not every human requires the average; if I ever once just get 4 hours of sleep I get a migraine the next day.  If your ds is healthy, happy a normal amount of time, goes down easily, falls asleep on his own, gets up refreshed, and his no ill effects for sleeping less the average amount for his age I think it's extremely safe to assume his brain/body is growing and developing normally for what is clearly normal for him if not average for "most toddlers."  If he were not getting enough for his particular body's needs you'd see evidence.  Sounds like he's in great shape and is the perfect sleeper!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

IPW-sounds like you have a low sleep child. Did he nap/sleep a lot as an infant? I bet not! Both my kids have low sleep needs. When DS was an infant I basically cried to my pedi about the lack of napping (Mommy wanted to nap too) and the pedi drew a basic right skewed graph, some kids are at the low end of the sleep needs. His reassuring advice to me was he found the kids who needed less sleep had higher intelligence than those kids who slept all the time. He found it even with his own three kids. I think that was his way of trying to make me feel better. Then again I do think DS is wicked smart! :)

But it sounds like you're trying your best to encourage sleep, and if he's playing on his own in his crib, and waking up on his own he's getting the sleep he needs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Rama and Med - thanks for the snowsuit advice! My mom got him one at Kohl's the other day b/c she had a credit, and it doesn't have feet, but I think I'll just get him some boots and go with it. If he loves the snow and wants to sit and roll around in it endlessly (like he did with the fall leaves!) I'll see if I need something different. Love the sled idea!

Luv - So glad to hear you're doing so well! Thank you for sharing your nursing story, too. DS never fully took to nursing, though I tried and supplemented for 6 months, and I know it's going to be a major point of anxiety for me if/when we have #2. Glad to know it really does work for some people the second time around!

DS had his 9 month checkup yesterday. He's up to 40th percentile in weight (from 25th) and still 5th in height, but the pedi thought his nurse didn't stretch him enough when she measured him b/c he didn't think he looked particularly chubby. Head is still huge but went down from 89th to 86th percentile. My smart, short, chubby boy :-).

The pedi really pushed us to ditch purees and start giving DS table/finger food now. This was partly in response to us saying DS had gotten more fussy at mealtimes and seemed to be rejecting foods he used to like. He could very well be right and we're going to give it a try over the long weekend, but I just kind of feel like my pedi is pushing everything food-wise on the early side and I'm curious what others have experienced with theirs. This is the same doc who told me that DS was probably fussing on the bottle at 4 mos because he was ready for solids. While DS did take to solids after a few weeks, it didn't totally resolve the bottle issue, and as I hear more perspectives on waiting on solids, I wonder if it was the right choice. I have no problem starting table foods, but I am curious.

As the holidays approach, I'm also wondering what you all do about naptime and holiday parties, etc.? DS's afternoon naptime falls squarely in the holiday party sweet spot (usually around 2 p.m. This isn't a problem if we're at the grandparents' or someplace where there's a p'n'p. But I know we're going to have to decide what to do when it's naptime and there's no place for him to sleep at the party.

FWIW, he rolls around constantly when he sleeps so I cannot imagine him being willing to nap in his bucket seat in a quiet room (although maybe...?) and I also can't imagine skipping or postponing the nap too much -- he is an absolute bear when he's tired.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:

As the holidays approach, I'm also wondering what you all do about naptime and holiday parties, etc.? DS's afternoon naptime falls squarely in the holiday party sweet spot (usually around 2 p.m. This isn't a problem if we're at the grandparents' or someplace where there's a p'n'p. But I know we're going to have to decide what to do when it's naptime and there's no place for him to sleep at the party.

I'm starting to worry about this too. We're trying really hard to stick to DD's daycare routine of meal and naptimes, but naps are always a disaster at home. Since starting daycare she'll sleep 1-3 hours solid there for naps, but we can never replicate this at home. We even went so far as to install room darkening shades like daycare has, and to little avail.

Naptime is 1-3pm at daycare, so we're starting to try to get her down for a longer nap around 1pm. Last weekend it lasted 40 minutes. Tomorrow, my family is having dinner at 2pm. Ensue nightmare! We're going to have to show up late in order for DD to get SOME kind of sleep. I think that's just going to have to be our MO...show up late if needed. People have to understand. If it's not possible, we can still rock and shush her in a somewhat quiet room if she's tired enough, but in that case she'll only sleep in our arms.

Sorry I'm not much help but I'm in the same boat!

To switch gears- a question on solids. How soon after starting did you give LO 2 meals a day? DD has had one meal a day for 2 weeks now. She's only had oatmeal, avocado and sweet potato. Do I just stick with these items on a rotation til she tries more? I fear she'll turn orange eating sweet potato several times a week! LOL We try to stick to the every 3-4 days for introducing new items. She eats around our dinner time, so when do I introduce breakfast? How do you all approach the introduction of new foods?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain, DD#1 was on finger foods by 9 months, mostly because she was pretty good at pincer grasp and very resistant to cooperating (she REALLY wanted to feed herself--by 7 months we just let her have the spoon and feed herself messily).  So if he can handle picking food up, even in his fist instead of his fingers, it might be worth it to start giving him a chance to feed himself.

On the issue of you feeling like your pedi is pushing you in regards to food.  Just do what you feel comfortable with.  You can always as pointed questions if you are curious or doubtful of a recommendation and if the doctor is too pushy/didactic and doesn't take into account what makes you comfortable, especially with something as flexible as food, you can always try a different doctor.

As for naps, just be prepared for a hot mess.  My husband relishes the responsibility of being the one to take the baby upstairs to a quiet room (he takes his kindle and reads in blissful quiet, his idea of holiday festivities).  It can't be avoided completely, the kid's schedule is going to be off.  The best thing to do is to attend a party full of people who have kids and are understanding.  Other than that, it's all luck and lots of nursing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yeah, nap schedules and festivities.  Balancing them is tough.  When DD was that little and still doing 2+ naps, we would often try to make a car nap happen right before an event, either leave our house early or just go out on a drive if we were already staying with relatives.  It worked out okay most of the time.  Other than that, there's not much you can do except try to roll with it and try to ignore anyone who gives you advice or acts judgy/disappointed if you need to leave the room or leave the party early.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!  Ours was okay except DD was very overtired - mostly our fault because we kept her out late the night before (visiting friends, and everyone - including her - was having a blast).  And then on the day itself she went down for nap just fine but for some reason (probably leftover overtiredness) woke up screaming after 45 minutes instead of the usual 1.5 to 2 hours.  So she was even less willing to play with semi-strange relatives than usual!  (And she kept crying things like, "I don't want to play with that man!" which was simultaneously heartbreaking/hilarious/awkward.)  The good part was that she was delightful at the meal itself.  I think because she was in her chair between me and DH and everyone else was in their own chairs instead of all up in her grill.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Hi all, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I'm guessing this has been asked at some point but have others had a problem with baby staying dry thru the night? DS is 10 months and he's waking up wet a few mornings a week lately. We've always used Pampers Swaddlers and they're fine the rest of the time. Tried Huggies Overnight last night but that was no better.  I could change him again before I go to bed (he sleeps soundly enough) but would rather not if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tc, I watched Dr. Sears on The Doctors field this question, and he said that waking up with a wet or dirty diaper is perfectly ok as long as you change them right away in the morning upon waking, of course.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I totally hear you all on the difficulties of holidays with little ones.  DD did pretty well adjusting her nap schedule (she slept in the car to both events, so that helped a lot) but it was hard to explain her stranger anxiety to all the loving grandparents.  Do they really not remember from when they had their own kids?  The worst part for me was all the very subtle comments  on my parenting style.  It ranged from "isnt she a momma's girl?" when I picked up a crying DD to "kids should get as much freedom as possible" as I cleaned up some very non-baby friendly items at the IL's.  I could let my kid scream and cry and I could let her play with your fragile and/or dangerous items... but yeah I thought that everyone would have a more enjoyable time if DD was quiet and not putting her hands into the plugged in papershredder.  Anyways... it was nice to see all of the family and everyone seemed to really enjoy seeing DD and how big she is getting.  She really looks and acts like a toddler now... scooting around, eating table food, dancing and interacting. 

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday as much as possible!  Now for the Christmas excitement! :o)  ... though Christmas ads definitely beat political ads  .. far cherrier :o)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

tc, is he at the cusp of moving up a size in the diaper?  When DDs start blowing out their diapers with just pee and there's no longer sleep or other extenuating circumstances, it usually means they are ready to move up a size (even if the size they're in isn't technically too tight or constricting). 

kar, I'm pretty sure the poster means the diaper lost integrity and the clothes and bedding (and hair, if the kid has a full head of hair) is all wet from the huge, spreading seeping pool of pee (and perhaps p00p juice). No harm done but a real pain in the tokhes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's possible, and yuck, that would be a serious pain!  But, the woman asking Dr. sears was just talking about whether she should worry about her baby sleeping through having a wet or dirty diaper for an undetermined amount of time before morning, and he said it was a very common concern.  I hope for her sake she meant the latter!  Ick...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to bostongrl's comment:

I totally hear you all on the difficulties of holidays with little ones.  DD did pretty well adjusting her nap schedule (she slept in the car to both events, so that helped a lot) but it was hard to explain her stranger anxiety to all the loving grandparents.  Do they really not remember from when they had their own kids?  The worst part for me was all the very subtle comments  on my parenting style.  It ranged from "isnt she a momma's girl?" when I picked up a crying DD to "kids should get as much freedom as possible" as I cleaned up some very non-baby friendly items at the IL's.  I could let my kid scream and cry and I could let her play with your fragile and/or dangerous items... but yeah I thought that everyone would have a more enjoyable time if DD was quiet and not putting her hands into the plugged in papershredder.  Anyways... it was nice to see all of the family and everyone seemed to really enjoy seeing DD and how big she is getting.  She really looks and acts like a toddler now... scooting around, eating table food, dancing and interacting. 

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday as much as possible!  Now for the Christmas excitement! :o)  ... though Christmas ads definitely beat political ads  .. far cherrier :o)

Ugh I hear you on the subtle comments people make...they think they're being nonchalant but they know EXACTLY what they're doing...my mom does it to me and it makes me crazy. I also get the Mommy's girl comments and "she's very attached to her mother" and "she only wants her mother" and she's "shy"....SHY?? She's 5 months old...of course she's going to want her mom over other people, and be weary of people she doesn't know well. Ugh...

My DD did well on Thanksgiving, even with shorter naps than usual, she was in a good mood and lasted a good 4 hours at 2 family dinners on 2 different days. We hung up her new stocking and set up our tree also :)

To the diaper issue- we ran into that too and moving up a size helped, she hasn't woken up wet in a while. If that's not an option, maybe try the pampers overnights? They're supposed to be good for 12 hours.

We're still fighting a horrendously terrible battle with getting DD to stay asleep...she wakes at least 4-6 times a night, crying, sometimes just wanting her pacifier but other times nearly inconsolable. We're trying to gradually extend the time (we're right now trying 3 minutes) before we go in to her to see if she can self soothe, but she just gets more and more worked up and ends up screaming bloody murder. If anyone has any advice...we are literally desperate. We're both on edge with not getting a full night's sleep anymore...it's nearly worse than when she was a newborn. She's 5 months so I know it's still a bit early for sleep training and I'm not a big fan of CIO methods (hence the 3 minute rule, which I find myself barely able to keep to). The worst part is all of this started very suddenly when she had a cold a while back, but she has been better for well over a week now. HELP. US. !

Sections
Shortcuts