November Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: November Infants and Toddlers

get earplugs.

Not kidding.  It will make it easier to wait longer than 3 minutes.  If DD is 5 months old, she can wait longer than 3 minutes so she's waiting you out.  As kids develop their language skills they start to experiment with different types of crying to figure out what will get you there faster.  This means she'll probably start to introduce panicked shrieks  and other things to get you to reply to her. 

I wouldn't say to wait for longer than 30 minutes or so but longer than 10 might be necessary.

Good luck. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi everyone, finally had a chance to catch up.  Hope you all had a nice holiday!  Things have been insane - DD was sick with a bad cold, then DH was injured (better now), and work is crazy.

I think strategically planning parties/holidays goes on for quite a while.  DD naps now from anywhere between 11-2, and then eats lunch, so we can't get anywhere before 2-3.  I guess we either plan accordingly, show up late, or only one of us goes.  Christmas Eve and Christmas day were kind of tough last year, but I can't think of any other days/events.  On Xmas Eve, we tried to put her down to bed at MIL's and she was not having it.  On Christmas, she napped in my parents' bedroom in the a.m., but would not do the afternoon nap at DH's family dinner.  This year we're just going to have to suck it up and leave by 8 pm on Christmas Eve.

So DD (20 months) hasn't slept through the night for about 2 weeks and I am losing it!  CIO does note seem to work for me with a child who can cry out, "Uppie, I want uppie mama, uppie now mama, mamaaaaaa" for 30 minutes.  She had a cold and is still waking up once in the middle of the night.  The past few nights, we've gone in, rocked her for a couple minutes, put her back in the crib (she cries and we calm her), and then we get in the bed in there and go to sleep.  It seems like some kind of separation issue because she is eventually fine with lying in the crib as long as we lie in the bed instead of leaving the room.  Any thoughts? In the past, this did not drag out so long after a cold, maybe just a night or two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, full of good food and with good friends and family!

Today starts my first full week back, and wouldn't you know it, but DS, who'll be 12 weeks tomorrow, decided to wake up at 3:30 last night, for the first time in about 3 weeks, which screwed up all of our internal clocks, so this morning was a little more hectic than I had hoped.  Fortunately, Mondays the kids are with my parents, so there isn't too much to get ready.  Tomorrow DS joins his sister at daycare for the first time...I've got both of their bags all packed.  It took me a bit to remember everything he needs, from extra binkies to how many bottles, all of that.

In other news, DD went on the potty on Saturday for the first time!  She's been into the idea of it for a while, but this was the first time all the stars aligned, and I think she even shocked herself.  Several attempts yesterday didn't work out, but we're on the path.  When do you start the switch from diapers to pullups?  I'm thinking it might make sense, since she also wants to pull her pants up and all of that after all of the failed attempts...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi everyone, happy Monday!  :p

I'm starting to try and catch up with all the November posts.  Thank you to those who wondered about me, that was very sweet!  And I just put it together, Fram, that you friended me on facebook! I didn't recognize the name so haven't responded! Sorry!

I just quickly read the past two pages here, looks like Rama, Luv, and I are in the same boat! It’s actually really wearing on me that I have no time at all to myself. I’m back to work every day except Wednesdays, and often have the kids alone weeknights through dinner and bed (husband has unconventional job and often has to work in the evenings), and often a lot of the time on weekends too, so by the time they are in bed I’m exhausted, but then DH needs attention. So that leaves ZERO ‘me’ time.  Those of you with two kids older than mine (3.5 months and 2 years) – does it get easier???

DS (3.5 months) does not sleep longer than 2 hours at a time.  Ever.  Oh, well, except when I have insomnia.  Then he’ll sleep 4 hours and I’ll lie there, waiting for him to wake up. I feel guilty about this, but I’m almost about to give an exclusive nurser a bottle of formula at 10pm in hopes that will help him sleep a bit longer.  Is that terrible? I’m just not sure how much longer I can physically handle the lack of sleep.

Ug, naptime and holiday parties.  They are always *exactly* at naptime!  The way we decided to deal with Thanksgiving this year was… host!  Made my first turkey. And told people we were eating at 3pm.  AFTER nap.  (Of course, in reality, we ate at 4pm. How do people get all that food ready at the same time???) Obviously not everyone can or wants to host, but it was such a relief to be able to control it this year.  Saturday afternoon we had a wedding shower for a family member, and my DH was working so I brought both kids.  Crap food and no nap for my 2 year old, and she was AWFUL all day on Sunday.  I will not do that again. If I have to I will tell people we’re not coming, or are coming late/leaving early in order to preserve some semblance of a schedule. Medford, your description of DD at Thanksgiving made me LOL.

Fram – I feel your pain. We could never CIO either when DD became a toddler.  I swear she could scream for 8 hours if we let her.  We had to do what you’re doing a few times when she went through a phase of waking up, and eventually it did end, but it felt like eternity as it was going on.

Luv, congrats on the potty breakthrough!  I have no advice on pull-ups; I bought some but don’t have the energy to deal with all that just yet…

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Happy Monday to you Poppy!!

Great to hear from you and sounds like things are going about the same for you as me.  The lack of sleep is definitely wearing on me as the lack of "me" time.  While my DH is home most nights, by the time we get both kids down and eat dinner and do "household maintenance" type things, ie laundry, bills etc., it's 10:00 and I'm physically and mentally done for the day.  As for sleep - DD2 (17 wks) has been going through a bad stretch of 3 hours at a time all night.  I'm hoping it's a growth spurt.  We are going to her 4 month pedi checkup on Thursday and I am hoping the pedi will agree that she's old enough physically so we can start doing some sleep training.   I don't think she's actually hungry when she wakes up in the earlier portion of the night beacuse she seems to want to nurse and then falls asleep right away -versus when she wakes up in the latter half of the night (after 3:00 a.m), she actually seems hungry, nurses both sides etc.   But, Poppy, I actually do think that giving a breast fed baby a bottle of formula at the beginning of the night is worth a shot - maybe it would hold him for longer.

In other news we got our holiday pix done this weekend at buy buy baby in braintree (at the picture place) and they came out awesome!  such a relief since the last time we tried taking DD1 it was a disaster. Now on tothe next holiday task of buying presents for all of the nieces and nephews...

Luv - awesome that she went on the potty! My dd who is 2.10 is totally resistant to even trying to use the potty even though she is physically capable of holding her pee for several hours (and often holds it throughout the morning at pre-school) and announces to us whenever she has to make a p00 (and even requested "privacy"!).  When we suggest she sit on the toilet, she freaks out. I have no idea what to do! We are waffling between switching her to pullups for the experience of pulling up and down and doing all of her changes in teh bathroom (as opposed to the changing table), and or just taking a week and putting her in underpants.  anyone use pull ups for this purpose? thoughts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I totally hear you on the unsolicited advice; we got a whole boat load of it. I'm really getting pushed (my mom, IL's and partially DH) to do CIO but I'm not ready. DS is 5.5 months old and has STTN 4 nights in the past two weeks which tells me that he doesn't need to eat in the middle of the night anymore. So the past week or so I've been going in and rocking him when he wakes up screaming but not feeding him. Also, I can tell the difference between his cries and if he's just fussing I'm leaving him to get back to sleep on his own but when he does the frantic cry I go in and comfort him. I got a lot of "you need to leave him alone" and "he's in a safe place, let him cry" this weekend. For now I'm ignoring it and using my own judgment. Others must have heard this too, right? Did you stick to your guns or am I being stubborn?

Poppy, I don’t think there is anything wrong with giving a formula bottle at night.  I EP’d for awhile but then had to supplement and I added in 2 oz of formula to his bedtime bottle.  Not sure it helped too much but it definitely didn’t hurt.

Finally, we are having so much fun with solids!  DS had avocado in the mesh feeder last night and cried when he finished it, the little munchkin was covered in green.  I’m making all of my own food so that’s been an adventure too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi All!

So fun to read all the updates!  I've been super busy with work and kids but I think I'm all up-to-date now and I have so many comments to add!!  :)

TC - My son was doing the same thing a few months ago.  Someone on here recommened overnight diapers, so I switched to those and also went up a size.  Also, has the leak been on his tummy?  I also make an effort to point his you-know-what downward, and now he wakes up dry most mornings.

Summer - She is supposed to be a momma's girl at 5.5 months!  Pay no mind to these people who say otherwise.

IPW - My DD also takes forever to fall asleep at night and for naps. She also is completely happy during the day and totally happy in her crib until she finally falls asleep.  I does stress me out though when she's in there and not sleeping!  I think she gets between 10 and 12 hrs total per night depending.  The circles you see under DS's eyes might be from seasonal/environmental allergies.  I've had circles under my eyes my whole life!

Poppy - it does get better!  It'll get better when your DS starts sleeping through the night, then it'll get better when they start playing together, and better when their nap times coincide.  Mine are now 15 months and 2.7.  They love to play together and naps have been coinciding from a few months now and they've had the same bedtime/wake up for ages too.  Bliss!  I can't help with the "me" time though.  Still trying to figure that in with working, cleaning and spending time with the kiddos!

CLC - my DS was close to sleeping through the night when we started him on one meal a day.  And when we bumped it up to 2 meals, he was there.  So if you haven't done 2 meals a day yet, maybe give it a try?  My DS was just about 5.5 months when we did.

AFM, everything is status quo in the Trouble household with my two toddler monkeys running around everywhere!  I'm wondering what we're going to do on the weekends now that it's getting too cold to go to the park.  Any suggestions for low cost fun?  I have the library on my radar, but what else?  I feel like we're not there yet for museums and things of that nature.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Trouble.  We started two meals a day but I recently increased his meals to 2-3 oz for lunch and 3-4 for dinner, plus I increased his evening bottle from 4 to 6 oz.  It does seem like that has made a difference.

As for winter activities, not sure where you are located by my library chain on the Cape has free passes to a bunch of zoos, museums and aquariums.  Depending on the passes you have to request them and pick them up from the library a day or two before you go.  It's definitely a cheap way to get out and do some stuff in the area.  My library has passes for the Children's Museum which I'm sure your kids would love!  You should check out the library's website or ask the librarian.  When we lived in Quincy they had them available as well.

ETA: check with the local YMCA too, perhaps your kids would like swim classes!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Trouble, I've been trying to think of good cold-weather activities too!  Although, on the days she's with my dad, he will have DD (2) bundled up in her snowsuit and out for a walk or to the park as long as it's not raining, hailing or snowing!

DS is still little enough that physical activity isn't such a big deal, but for DD, if we don't wear her out in the mornings, she won't nap and becomes a beast. 

I've actually been thinking of Christmas gifts with the cold weather in mind.  DD loved "dance parties" when we turn the music on and all dance, and it does wear her out, so I got a Leapfrog microphone that plays freeze dance for $10 at TJ Maxx as one of her gifts.  Also arts and crafts stuff (play doh, stickers, giant pads of paper) and a couple of games (memory was the big one, since she's into talking about when things match).  I want to have new stuff to pull out so that winter doesn't become a tv-fest. 

And I know there are a couple of indoor playgrounds out there (there's one on Rte. 1 in West Roxbury), and the Y might be another good option, since they often have weekend swim lessons and other kid-focused stuff. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Luv - if your daughter is into Memory try the game Set it's fun and can grow with her.  I actually bought it for my DH a few years ago, dorky but fun!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

rama- does she go on the potty, just not the toilet?  For about a year my DD was scared of falling into the toilet.  It was actually a legitimate fear, since she was pretty tiny.  We got her a stool and one of those toilet seats that fits on top to make it easier to sit and balance.  That made a big difference in her willingness to go.  I even got a foldable one for my purse for when we were out.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40087214

It was kind of like this

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I totally hear you on the unsolicited advice; we got a whole boat load of it. I'm really getting pushed (my mom, IL's and partially DH) to do CIO but I'm not ready. DS is 5.5 months old and has STTN 4 nights in the past two weeks which tells me that he doesn't need to eat in the middle of the night anymore. So the past week or so I've been going in and rocking him when he wakes up screaming but not feeding him. Also, I can tell the difference between his cries and if he's just fussing I'm leaving him to get back to sleep on his own but when he does the frantic cry I go in and comfort him. I got a lot of "you need to leave him alone" and "he's in a safe place, let him cry" this weekend. For now I'm ignoring it and using my own judgment. Others must have heard this too, right? Did you stick to your guns or am I being stubborn?

Finally, we are having so much fun with solids!  DS had avocado in the mesh feeder last night and cried when he finished it, the little munchkin was covered in green.  I’m making all of my own food so that’s been an adventure too!

We had to attempt some degree of CIO tonight. We just can't deal with getting up every hour at night to replace the paci, plus DD used to sleep 7-8 hours at a time before this fiasco started, so I know she's capable. We stopped most MOTN feedings a while back, too. DH and I made the decision together, and while I feel guilty about it, it will help her learn to fall asleep without the paci. She cried for about 25 minutes total, part of the time we were outside her room and part of the time I had to go in to soothe her. Ultimately she did fall asleep after I held her for a few minutes, put her down, rubbed her belly and Shhh'd her. I'll let you know how the rest of the night goes...I thought I'd never let her CIO but the quality of everyone's sleep, including hers, was suffering and we were just making more bad habits we'd need to break later anyways. I know lots of people oppose any method that involves crying, but I think there will always be some tears shed for one reason or another. If you're not comfortable with it, then don't do it. Every situation is unique.

I'm making DD's food too- so far she's had avocado, banana, sweet potato and pears. I'm using the steam-puree-freeze system, and so far so good. At some point this week I plan on making peas, green beans, and carrots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Summer. I'm not fundamentally opposed to CIO I'm just not ready yet. And I think everyone pushing me is making me more stubborn. Normally he's been doing one wake up for 15-30 minutes depending on how worked up he gets himself. Eventually I will need to do CIO I'm sure but for now I can handle the 1 wake up. 

As for food we've done the same foods as you. I made pears tonight so he will try those tomorrow. Bananas caused him to cry, like all out scream! We've tried twice, with two weeks in between so we are going to wait a little while and then try again. Also, green beans were such a PITA, pushing them through the sieve after pureeing them took forever! Good luck! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

CLC - Ignore them!!  For every person who tells a mother to let the baby cry, there is another saying it's a horrible thing to do.  IMO, if you're not ready at 5.5 months and he is only waking up once, that is beyond fine.  Just know that there are things you can try when you are ready.

I do think a person should be open to opinions sometimes, but many many times you have to go with your gut.  A friend had a child who woke up multiple times per night until over a year old.  She would get so bent out of shape when people made suggestions and felt that everyone was too judgemental.  I kept my mouth shut, but any suggestions I might have made wouldn't have been out of judgement, but out of love and wanting to see her and her child get some sleep. 

DD was a good night time sleeper (until recently!!), but not much of a napper.  People were always telling me not to go to her the minute she woke up, etc.  I promise you I did not run to her room the minute she made a peep!  She was awake.  Once it became quite clear that she was not going to nap for more than 45 minutes at home, I let it go and didn't let people's comments bother me.

I overheard a hilarious comment from the MIL last week.  DD is pretty much attached to us equally.  Since DH was the one who carried her into a full house, she was quite attached to him at first and I heard MIL say she feels bad for me sometimes because DD is a dada's girl.  It kind of bothered me, but mostly I thought it was sad that she doesn't even know her granddaughter well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Also, CLC, I've found that just when you get a good pattern of sleep going, something changes (like teething or a cold or traveling) and you're back to square one. 

I have a 2 YO and a 12 week old, and as of now, the 12 week old is a much better sleeper than the 2 YO ever was!  He settles himself back in and sleeps for great stretches.  We're on our 4th or 5th different going to bed routine for the toddler, now that she's starting to sleep in the big-girl bed.  It's actually easier in many ways, since we do stories there, and she's much more willing to be alone in her room in her big bed than she ever was in the crib! 

I know that for us, parenting is a lesson in flexibility, even as we try to set routines and rituals. What works one day may not work the next, and what works for one kid may not work for the other. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

LIssa, thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, she won't even try to go on a little potty!  We have both the baby bjorn brand little potty and a toilet seat topper that goes right on the regular toilet.  She doesn't like to use either item.  I ended up buying her pull ups and so far she is cool with wearing them but still has been very resistant to even sitting on the potty.  I am going to transition to changing her in the bathroom so she gets used to spending time in that room, wiping, flushing, washing hands etc. and then eventually work on having her sit on the toilet a few times a day and hopefully it will lead to her going potty.  Baby steps.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

IPW - Totally would not worry about the sleep.  If he was over-tired he would not happily talk in the crib before falling asleep.  I think you are fine.

Poppy - It does get better!  The beginning was so hard for me - in particularly bedtime because often I was alone during that time as well. I had such a hard time juggling who to put to bed first in the begining.  Now that DD #1 is older she is great at just playing fairly quietly while I put DD#2 down which is ridiculously easy.

DD#2 MUST be the baby everyone has who does not believe in CIO.  She is the easiest sleeper in the world.  Even when she would wake up occ in the middle of the night I would gladly feed her because she would go back down so easily.

Summer - on the other hand DD #1 had the exact problem that you are describing about waking up constantly for the pacifier.  We had to do exactly what you did and just get rid of it completely at night and do CIO.  It didn't take long so hang in there!

So we were in church the other day and DD#1 who just turned 2 pointed to the stained glass picture of Jesus and said "Is that God".  I was speechless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Clc, it's possible DS could have a contact allergy to bananas...not probable, but check for any odd redness that you may have attributed to his crying.

lil, I choked up at your church story.  those are the moments.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

We had to do CIO method too. It took a couple days but he goes right down peacefully now. I also have the paci problem. It is not every night but around 4 am he wakes up and I get up and put the paci back in and he goes right back to sleep.

CLC - If you are not interested in CIO then dont do it that is the beauty about being the parent!

I am also going to make DS food.  Someone gave me the magic bullet blender.  So I will steam, puree and freeze.  I think Im going to hold off until he is 6 months which is in a month!  Cant believe it!

What foods did you guys start LO on first? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Cclc, Pugs is right in that as the parent, you can ignore advice that goes against your grain. We are completely anti-CIO and DS was a frequent waker for his first year (in part due to his reverse cycling when I went to work). Since DH and I were okay with the routine, we ignored all advice on CIO and we do allow co-sleeping. 

For first foods, we did sweet potatoes. We did do bananas second, but it turned out DS had an allergic reaction, which surprised our pedi and us (DH and I love bananas). Then I think we did peas. I also know we did oatmeal too as a first food so that daycare could mix my breastmilk with it for every rejected bottle (which was most of them) since that would be the only way DS would take the breastmilk during the daycare hours most of the time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

clc-another non-CIO house here. I actually just took DD (14 mo) to the doctors wondering if she had an ear infection she kept waking up at night and crying uncontrollably. Nope. Just speration anxiety. pedi recommended CIO, when I said we don't do that he's reponse was "fine, let her sleep on you." My theory is that if my DD, who had been able to go into her crib awake and put herself to sleep, all of a sudden requires comfort from me to help in the process, she needs it. So, now I rock her to sleep, sound asleep since she'll wake when you go to put her down, and rock her when she wakes up at night. This will pass. I know she can do it all by hersel, but clearly she's telling me she needs me. DS when through a horrible sleep phase when he was 19 mo old, and I tried CIO then, and it lasted weeks-not a few days like everyone promised! In hind sight I wish I didn't do it. That's my cheep justification as to why I don't do CIO.

Mind you, I don't go running into to her room with every sound she makes, I do see if she'll settle herself down. so trust your gut! And like other's have said, once you get the sleep thing "fixed" a tooth/illness/milestone will distrupt it again.

DD's latest food thing is to only eat her favorite part of the meal. If I serve beans, then I have to make sure she eats the other items, tomato, chicken etc. prior to even brining the beans out or else she won't eat anything but beans.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

KAM, my sleep philosophy is a lot like yours.  I've tried CIO a bit, mostly for going to bed, and it never really worked for us, especially for the mid-night wake ups.  Our theory is that if we're all sleeping, we're in good shape, no matter how we get there, so we have rocked her to sleep, let her fall asleep on us, laid in bed with her then transferred her, and yes, brought her into bed with us.  Like I said, DS, the 12 week old, seems to do so much better with sleep transitions (settling back in, going down awake)...I'm sure part of that is that we only have so many hands, and part of it is different personalities.  My mom is always reminding me that my kids are only little for such a short time, when they want to be with you and snuggle, so to enjoy it! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks all.  I'm going to hold off on CIO for right now.  We do try to give him a few minutes to settle down but once he really starts getting worked up we go in and get him. I rock him back to sleep and put him back in his crib. Usually it's 15-20 minutes, 30 tops.  Except last night when he decided to hang out with mom and dad from 12-145 babbling away.

As for food, we started with sweet potatoes and he really loved them.  We then moved along in this order: squash, apples, bananas (fail), green beans, bananas again (fail), peas, avocado and last night pears.  We've only done oatmeal so far but I bought some rice cereal so I will be giving that a shot soon.  I also have the baby bullet and we really love it.  My main recommendation would be to skip using their steamer, it's tiny and takes awhile, a stovetop steamer has worked great for us.  One last recommendation, when you make pears you don't need to add extra water.  I basically made pear soup the other night :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Luv-exactly, I think it's easier for me to grasp this having an older child...seeing how fast they grow and how quickly we forget the sweet moments. So, every snuggle I have with my kids now is cherished. (though some times I do really miss a solid night's sleep-don't get me wrong!) Even with DS calls us because he's scared and wants to snuggle, he wont allow us to do that when he's 15! And we will miss these sweet days.  I had assumed with DS that we would remember all of these sweet moments, alas, they fade and are replaced with more current ones.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

luv and KAM, you're making me tear up!  It's totally true.  Sometimes if I'm holding DD's hand, singing her a song before bed, I think how badly I want to remember how those little fingers feel, and how hard it is to remember.

Sections
Shortcuts