November Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: November Infants and Toddlers

It's so weird looking at my son now and trying to remember DD when she was that little.  I still feel like she's my baby, and then look at her in comparison with him and wonder where these past 2 years went.  Even looking at him last night after 2 days of being away from him for 9 hours a day for work, and I feel like he looks so much bigger, moving from the newborn to the baby phase.  It goes by so fast, even though in the moment, sometimes it feels like it's so slow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I remember going off to the hospital to have DD, and I left DS, still a baby to me, at home. When he came to visit a few hours later-I was amazed how much he grew up in those few hours. His hands where now huge!

I am very nostalgic right now, planning DS's 4th birthday party! How did that happen!?!

And all those sweet baby snuggly moments are replaced with sweet toddler moments. I'm even forgetting the "fun" of a 3.5 year old. They really do keep getting better and better at every age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I promised an update about trying to ditch the paci...so far it's gone well. The first night DD cried for about half an hour, really screaming and our attempts to otherwise soothe her were minimally effective until she got tired and fell asleep after I rocked her for two minutes and Shh'd her. She fell asleep, woke up and cried for about 10 minutes at 10pm, then fell back asleep til 6am. Last night (2nd night) she fell asleep within 10 minutes with just a few minutes of not-so-severe crying, once asleep she slept straight through til 5:30am. Today at daycare we had our provider use the paci as little as possible, and DD only had it for about 5 minutes total. So I think we're pretty much done with it :) Unless something goes awry tonight....

As far as solids, we first gave DD oatmeal, then sweet potato, avocado, pears and bananas. Next I plan on squash, carrots and peas or green beans. I steam the veggies either on the stove or in a microwave steam bag, then use a stick blender to puree and then put the puree in ice trays. No special baby food equipment needed (I can use the stick blender for lots of things!) so it's more cost effective.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Great job summer!

I am selfish and I want to sleep.  But even if I wasn't I can tell you that if I had gone in and soothed DD #1 everytime she woke up she would have been completely sleep deprived.  Consistently if I gave in her sleep patterns would become horrendous.  So, certainly would not do CIO if you are not comfortable but I do think every child is different.  DD #2 at 6 months had occasionally woken up in the middle of the night once (thankfully not for the past month) and I would give her a bottle and then she would go right to sleep.  It was easy and I didn't feel like she was becoming sleep deprived and it didn't lead to more wake ups.  With DD #1 if I ever did that she would be waking up nonstop after that.

Whenever or however it happens for you, I don't think there is any better gift to give a child than a solid night sleep and being able to get to sleep by oneself.

BTW I agree with everyone about the time flying by.  It is crazy how fast they grow!  I would take age 2 for a couple of years for sure!  Someone said to me once after DD#1 that sometimes the days drag but the years fly.  Actually, I would take a couple of days that would drag at this point because I feel that time is flying by so fast!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Summer -  can you remind me how old your DD is?  We really need to do this with our DD (2 years) and I'm dreading it.  Good for you for sticking with it and good luck tonight!

KAM, Medford, et. al., I'm already panicking at how fast DS (16 weeks) is growing.  He'll be our last baby, and I feel the babyhood slipping through my fingers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Summer -  can you remind me how old your DD is?  We really need to do this with our DD (2 years) and I'm dreading it.  Good for you for sticking with it and good luck tonight!

KAM, Medford, et. al., I'm already panicking at how fast DS (16 weeks) is growing.  He'll be our last baby, and I feel the babyhood slipping through my fingers.

She's 5 months 1 week. Early for any kind of sleep training I know, but everybody's sleep was suffering...even the dog looked worn out by morning! lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Poppy - DD#1 still uses a pacifier for naps and in the car.  She does not use one at nighttime.  Today we spent a lot of time in the car and she mentioned it twice but didn't really protest when I said she is too old for a pacifier.  So I gave it to her when we got home and asked her to throw it in the trash.  She did without protest and I gave her a cookie.  We will see how tomorrow goes! haha

I probably violated lots of parenting rules with that one!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Summer - Ok, much littler than mine!  I wish I had done it then... :/

Luck - Ha, rules-shmooles, that sounds good to me.  We finally gave up the bottle at 2 years (she was just having like 3 oz at night, that I held for her as I rocked her before bed) and she still asks for it every night (1 month+ later). I didn't want to deal with binky until she was past that. I'm thinking maybe after Christmas I'll start. I've definitely noticed since DS was born DD uses it a LOT more.

Can I just vent for a second about how DS only sleeps between 1.5 and 2 hours in a row, ever? (he's 16 weeks) We were up at least 6 times last night for feedings.  And I work full-time (except Wednesdays). There are a few things I am planning to try to see if I can get him to go a bit longer, but until I'm organized enough to actualy try them, I just need a safe place to say I'M TIRED!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Poppy - Sorry you are going through this.  How is his weight gain?  If it is fine and he is not fussy during the day and otherwise acting well I woud think he just enjoys your comfort in the middle of the night.  You can guess what I would suggest but so sorry to hear.  You must be exhausted!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, I feel for you.

If you're not up for CIO (I was not either), maybe a form of night weaning?  A sleep consultant recommended this to my friend, who recommended it to me: if baby goes to, say, 10 PM without feeding, from then on don't feed him until 10 PM, even if he wakes up at 9 PM.  Still go and comfort, but don't feed until then.  Then once they go to 11 PM without feeding, from then on don't feed until 11 PM.  Et cetera.  Obviously, as LIL said, provided weight gain is fine and he doesn't need 6 night feedings.

This did work for my daughter, although I didn't come around to it until she was older.  I will say that it is WAY easier said than done.  For one thing in our case, DD would go back to bed relatively easily after nursing, so it was a zillion times easier to nurse her and lob her back in the crib than it was to comfort her but hold off on nursing.  But knowing what I know now, I wish I had done it sooner because I think it would have been shorter term suffering.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, Luck and Medford.  You've actually given me a little hope. His weight is great, I don't really think he needs to eat quite so often at night (he also eats at least every two hours all day long).  I haven't had a chance to review any sleep books, and felt like 3 months old is too little for any sort of sleep training.  However, he doesn't seem starving at every night feeding - he'll always eat, but he definitely eats more at some of them than others.  Medford, I might try the method you mention.  I thought of trying it last night, actually, but like you said - it's so much easier just to nurse for 5 minutes and put them all sleepy back in bed than to take potentially longer to comfort, only to be awakened again later. But it might be worth trying, I'll just try it on a weekend so I can sleep a tiny bit later the next morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... you are not alone with your daughter and her bottle/binky habits.  My DS gets his binky at night only (the reverse of LIL's) and still has about 6oz of milk from a bottle first thing in the morning.  I have said before in another post, that is a selfish bottle on my part as that is the only way I can get him dressed.  He has a real issue now with clothes... only wears soft jogging pants or sweatpants (no jeans or "real" pants) and of the 30 or so that we have, usually wants one of 3 shirts every morning (I did have a boy... didn't I??).  This morning, second thing he said was "football shirt!"  Oops.... in the laundry so I did a white lie that the baseball shirt was the same thing.  So, him lying there having some milks sometimes is the only way he actually ends up dressed!

And with the binky... he has never been that baby or kid that calls for it once it falls out during the night.  He either finds it, or doesn't.  So I haven't really worried about taking it away.  Since its during his own personal time... I kinda leave it.  I'm guessing at some point the pediatrician really won't like this for some reason and we'll have to send it to the binky fairy or something :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

GL, Poppy!  I agree that 3 months is really bitty for the more hard core sleep training.  I definitely respect CIO with older babies (even though I was too chicken to do it!), but where he's so bitty maybe another strategy will work.  Can you enlist DH to help?  That was actually what pushed me to do it eventually -- I felt like DH would give up quickly and call for nursing, and I got tired of it.  :)

IPW, my DD also hates jeans or "real" pants.  Little easier with a girl, though, because she can wear leggings.  Leggings and play dresses are our current go to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Just catching up on a few things...

Luv - Thanks for the update on BFing baby #2!!  We struggled early on and used a shield for a few months, and then I never did pump enough at work.  Anyway, hearing from people like you gives me hope if we have another.

Luck - I agree that solid sleep is an incredible gift for both baby and parents!

Sorry to hear about all the sleep issues - it's the worst!  The past few nights have been a little better.  DD has woken up once around 10 or 11, when we're still up anyway so one of us rocks her back to sleep within a few minutes. And then she wakes up around 6 instead of 6:30-7 like usual.  But of course now she has a new cold, so she'll probably be up a bunch this weekend.

On another note, my poor DD's thumb looks terrible!!  It looks like she got a sunburn only on her left thumb, and I'm sure it's going to get much worse this winter.  Anything at all we can do to help?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

" my poor DD's thumb looks terrible!!  It looks like she got a sunburn only on her left thumb, and I'm sure it's going to get much worse this winter.  Anything at all we can do to help?"

a few things:

1. completely dry it off after handwashing.

2. she's about 2 yrs old, right? So when she's involved in other things but isn't upset simply take it out of her mouth and dry it off when she has it in her mouth. try to not put too much attention to it so it doesn't get to be a battle of wills.  and don't shame her or yell that "big girls don't suck their thumbs"  the more nervous she is, the more she needs to suck her thumb.

3. hold that hand when you walk somewhere so she can't suck it while she walks

4. see if you can keep lotion on it constantly - can you make a game of putting 'soothing lotion' on her hands and on Mommy's hands? 

5. keep a strict eye on it so it doesn't get infected, and if it seems swollen or shiny go to the pediatrician to make sure she doesn't have an infection

6. wear mittens outside (she's gonna love that one, lol)

7.  hope she grows out of sucking her thumb!

we have a 23 month old who sucks both of her thumbs, so if the teachers hold one hand for a walk, she simply shifts to the other hand! The good new: she maybe won't get one so chapped, raw or infected.  But it also means she always, and I mean always, has her thumb in her mouth because she's an ambidextrous thumber!  I'm not sure it's the end of the world, except now that she's older it's unclean because she touches so many things in the world and then pops that thumb in....  when it's an 8 month old baby they aren't usually crawling around on the metro, touching the chairs, bars, windows...  but you can't say that about a 2 yr old!

and I honestly wonder if we could get her to minimize it, she might be able to keep giving it up more.  but on the other hand, she's young, so if we just ignore it, will it stop spontaneously at 3 yrs old?  or 4 yrs old or 5 yrs old?  and then I think of all my friends who were still sucking their thumbs in bed at 13 yrs old, even if they were trying to stop it.  and I look at my nails that are bitten down to the quick and I realize how strong a habit it and how hard to break it is....

so I'm back to wondering if we should try to break it now (with her parents' permission only!)  who's the pediatrician, luckinlife, right?  WHAT do you say about a thumb sucking? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I sucked my finger until I was 9, and there wasn't a darned thing my mom could do about it.  If nothing works it isn't your fault.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree that it would be very difficult to make a young child stop sucking her thumb, but I think I can discourage it in ways she won't notice.  For example, she mostly sucks it at bedtime or if she has her "animal", so I try to keep animal away as much as possible during the day... but I need to put more effort into that!  Thanks for the suggestions, CT!!  I usually don't bother with mittens for the 5 min drive to daycare, but that is a great idea since she does often suck in the car.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not suggesting that you can't do anything to stop or reduce it or that you shouldn't try everything.  However, I want you to know that a determined child will foil your every effort and it will NOT be your fault or a failure on your part if that happens.  I was absolutely bound and determined and nothing stopped me, not positive, not negative, not that icky nail polish deterrent, nothing.  I got sneaky about it very early and did what I was going to do.  My mom tried really hard to discourage it from happening.  But, like I said, try what you can, just don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Fram,

My suggestions about keeping it dry and putting mittens on were about protecting it, not keeping her from sucking, because a raw thumb that isn't totally dry will just crack more.. and anyone (like me) with exzema on their hands wlil tell you the winter air dries your hands out even more, hence the mittens/gloves.  But, of course, if she won't take the mittens off to get to her thumb, mittens might decrease the thumb sucking, too.

And I actually think (although I am not a pediatrician and I have no real scientific evidence, just experience) that if you kind of keep her from doing it so much now without SAYING anything about it (for you, keeping animal in her crib/bed vs. allowing her to walk around with it) then you will simply start decreasing the number of times she puts her thumb in her mouth.  And that's one way to break a habit - to decrease the amount of time you do it, hence decreasing the amount of time you THINK about doing it....  because putting yucky stuff on her thumb might work, but is mean to a 2 yr old (I think so, anyway) AND believe me, as a nail biter who used that stuff, you simply suck it off and then go on your merry way.... just endure the few minutes of yuckiness...

I had my pacifier until I was FIVE YEARS OLD (in bed only, but still) and I still wonder if that made me so orally fixated that I became a nail biter.  I still squirm when I see photos of my father reading books to his 3 yr old and 5 yr old daughter and I have a binky in my mouth - potty trained and all!  Jeesh!  That's about 4 years longer than I really needed it and 3 years longer than I should have been weaned from it...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Ah the paci.

With DS I just took it away during a horrible sleep phase, figured it wasn't soothing him so why not rip a huge bandaid off and sleep train at the same time. It was tough. But I don't think the paci had anythign to do with it.

DD, thankfully has settled back into her normal sleep routines with no CIO! though she loves her paci when going to sleep. so I'm hesitant to take that away right now. I've recently gotten her off milk at bedtime, only water. But she def likes her paci. She only gets it now in the car or bedtime (sometimes stroller too). But thankfully she doesn't take it at day care any more! Woo Hoo. Guess its time to take it away in the car...prob is she's not a great traveler and has only recenty gotten over screaming for an entire car ride, even if it's a two hour car ride she'd scream the whole way!

As for dry skin-anyone try the neosporin eczema cream? DS get's really dry skin on his hands, that has already started to crack this season. I usually put Lanolin lotion on his hands ever AM & PM, but he hates it because it's so thick. But even doing that it never heals the cracks. Last year we resorted to a steriod cream and that cleared it up quicly! But I want to avoid that this year, suppose maybe bringing him back to his dermotologist would be the best choice...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks again ladies -  Kar, I appreciate your not wanting me to beat myself up over it.  I don't plan to make it a big thing as she ages, just want to look for little ways to avoid it.  CT and KAM, DH has terrible eczema so that's on my mind as well.  KAM, I've been trying to put lotion on DD's hands a few times throughout the day even when her hands don't look at all dry (either Baby Aveno or the thicker Eucerine cream).

Any tips for getting a 21 month old to go back to bed in the middle of the night?  I am so exhausted!!  I could really really use some advice.  I'm going to pull out Weissbluth tonight and see what he says for toddlers.  These past 2-3 weeks, the best result was to rock her for a few minutes and put her back down, 2nd runner up was to get her to lie down and then go to sleep in the bed in her room, last resort was to bring her in the bed with me (or DH).  Well, now that she knows that's an option it's what she wants.  I got almost no sleep after 2 am last night b/c she was squirming all over. 

I have a few ideas for tonight: 1) don't go in unless she starts all out screaming crying or 2) keep her up at least an hour past bedtime and see if she is so tired that she sleeps through.  Any thoughts?  I'm not opposed to CIO and have used it when it seemed like the most appropriate solution, but I find it so hard with a child who can yell that she wants her mommy.  (Not to mention the neighbors probably want to kill us!)  Has anyone used CIO on a toddler?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Fram, no great advice for getting a toddler back to sleep in the middle of the night. But I've done the sleep compression techinque (to get over jetlag)-having them stay up an hour later to force them into getting their sleep in solid blocks. Warning, this can take up to a week to see results. I've only had to do it with DD for 3 nights and it's worked. Did you say she's getting another cold?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram, when we've gone through this with DD, the only thing that seems to work for us is rocking her pretty much back to sleep, then waiting it out. I can't recall how long this has been going on for you, but for us, when this occurs, it can last anywhere from 2 nights to over a week. Then it would often inexplicably come to an end.  There was a phase just after DS was born that DH was taking her to sleep with him in the guest room when she woke in the middle of the night and I was terrified she'd get conditioned to that, but that also came to an end. You mentioned this might be cold-related... have you tried giving her any medicine?  Our pedi recommended childrens Dimetapp. When DD was waking in the night from a cold I gave her some of that and it helped. Now I give it to her at bedtime if she is really stuffy or has a cough.  Pedi and pharmacist said 1 tsp.

The last time I tried CIO she was probably a little younger than your DD, and it was a total bust. She can scream longer than we can stand it (the longest I let her go was 30 minutes and there was no wavering in volume or power). Good luck, I wish I had better advice!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

commenting on a post a-ways back - i don't think 5 months old is too young for sleep training.  we did it with our twins when they were about 4-4.5 months old and it worked wonders - since then (they are 2) we've had probably fewer than 10 nights of interrupted sleep for us from both of them combined b/c they've learned how to put themselves to sleep.  they wake up multiple times per night, sit up, rub their eyes, look around, find their loveys and lay back down (it's actually so cute watching on the monitor!).  i found healthy sleep habits happy child more confusing than ferber's book - i have both and they are both based on the same principles, poor ferber is just the one who got labeled w/ the bad 'CIO' rep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Me again - This has been going on for 2-3 weeks.  She had a bad cold before Thanksgiving and has only slept through the night once since then.  Last week another cold started up, but it's not too bad and I really don't think it's why she's waking up.  I'm going to try keeping her up later than usual tonight.  It's worth a shot!!

Poppy - The one time I tried CIO a couple weeks ago she yelled for 30-40 minutes before I gave in.  I couldn't sleep through that anyway and I do care a tiny bit about the neighbors!  Sometimes, though, I think CIO causes LOs to fall asleep as soon as you give in and rock them, so in the long run it's good if they are awake for a shorter period.  We haven't done cold medecine, but we have given her pain reliever and honey when it seemed appropriate.

I'm probably just completely inept at choosing humidifiers, but I wanted to warm people against vaporizers.  I forget why I chose it last year - I think because it was filter-free, but I realize now that it basically produces steam and that's why a) our wallpaper was bubbling off the wall and b) we got some mold.  I bought a filter-free cool air humidifier last week and it seems so much better.  (Knock on wood!)

Sections
Shortcuts