November Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: November Infants and Toddlers

Trouble, that's so horrible - glad your LOs didn't have any scary complications from the fever and everyone is feeling a bit better.  I just talked to my cousin, and her DH and DS both have pneumonia and she has bronchitis.  Lovely.  'Tis the season...

ml, I wish we could vote twice! ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trouble - Hope you feel better soon!  Sorry you had such a terrible time with the storm and the virus.

CLC - I'd say how many "meals" you feed is up to you, as long as you don't replace the formula/BM like you said.  That probably isn't a helpful statement now that I think of it!  Personally, we didn't do 3 "meals" until at least 9 months, but I certainly don't think it would harm him if that's what you feel is right for him.  We started cereal/purees just before 6 months.  We started with just rice cereal at dinner, then did cereal and veg.  After maybe 1 month we switched to oatmeal and veg at dinner and had daycare do rice and fruit in the morning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Trouble -- So sorry for all the sickness! Hope you're all better soon!

Clc - My pedi really pushed solids (I think bc DS spit up a lot and was formula-fed by that point, but maybe just on principle), so based on the advice I've gotten, I'd say give him 3 meals if he seems to want it. We've been doing 3 with DS since he was 6 months and we pretty much follow his cues as to how much to give him. He's been drinking less formula lately too (still about 20 oz. a day though), which according to some things I've read shouldn't be happening, but according to the pedi is good b/c he wants him eating primarily solids by 1 year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

So the storm led to me being bored and my big brainstorm for an activity to keep my preschooler busy was to feed the baby solid food today.  It went really well, hilariously well, actually.  She's been really into watching us eat and obviously interested in the whole process (we've been sitting her in her high chair with some toys on her tray while we eat dinner for the last couple of weeks).  We started with oat cereal mixed with water.  I figured avoiding rice was the way to go (my pedi recommended we avoid it with the arsenic issues that have been reported lately).  She was much better than I thought she'd be.  I started DD#1 when she was 5.5 months and she took a week or so to really get the hang of the whole swallowing thing.  DD#2 is turning 5 months old next week and she only pushed the food out with her tongue twice.  She was pretty much guzzling it up the whole time.  I had accidently made more than I thought I needed (about 2oz) and I figured, eh, it's just cereal, I'll just throw out the extra.  She ate it ALL. She probably would have eaten more if I'd given it to her.  She didn't even spit any up and there wasn't even much on the tray or bib later.  I guess it makes sense because she's been ahead with the physical stuff all along. 

Anyway, very fun.  I hope everyone weathers the storm well.  We've had big gusts here on the south shore all day.  It feels stronger than Sandy did.  Hopefully that means the brunt of the storm is hitting us and not those poor people trying to rebuild down in NJ and NY.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa, that's awesome that DD#2 took to solids so quickly. I bet it helps that she sees her big sister eating them :-).

I'm trying to transition DS (8 1/2 mos) into chunkier and finger foods. He LOVES Mum Mums (those surfboard-shaped crackers) and is getting pretty good at holding and biting them, and he'll occasionally go to town on a frozen bread crust or pizza crust when he's feeling gnaw-y.

He seems to know how to mash stuff with his gums pretty well, though I still get faces and whining when I give him food with discernible chunks in it, but he gets it down without gagging. Yesterday, though, I gave him some green beans that were more shredded than pureed and he took them all down.

He really doesn't get little finger foods yet, though. I put a few puffs on his tray last night before I gave him dinner and even showed him by eating one myself, and he just pushed them around and seemed determined to get them all on the floor. His pincer grasp is pretty good, so I think he's just not getting it yet. He struggles with the last bites of Mum Mum, I think because it's not sticking out of his hand. Any tips on how to help him, or should I just keep giving him opportunities until he gets it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Arcain, I have been very conservative (and all over the place) giving DD #2 solids. I waited until she was REALLY good and ready, around 7 mo, before offering anything.  Now, she takes both mashed bananas (firm consistency), baby food (nearly liquidy consistency) and also loves those Mum Mum crackers!  I just recently bought those dehydrated yogurt drops (more so becuase my 4yo was with me and actually remembered her addiction to them as a 1yo!) I decided to just try them with DD#2 and she did great! Now, I can sit her in her high chair and she will feed herself the yogurt drops! It is making my life so much easier and she loves them.  They are a little bigger than puffs, you could always try those.  I would just wait, and offer him small finger foods in another week or so.  I do think there is something to be said for waiting until they are truly developmentally ready.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

CLC, Just so you know, the official recommendations are to wait until 6mo to give solids.  Each year there is more and more research showing to WAIT on solids.  You can google "why delay solids" for the latest.  Especially if you are breastfeeding, its usually best not to give any solids until 6 mo, and then between 6-9mo is the practicing phase, where most of their diet should still be breastmilk.  From 9-12mo they are phasing out breastmilk and having more meals that will nutritionally make up for a natural wean from mom's milk.  At 12 months they should be fully on solids and can continue breastfeeding as long as they want for added nutrition, but if you are formula feeding you can switch to cow's milk at that time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone have a pillow in LO's crib?  DD is 20 months and has a cold (hope that's all).  I put a full-size pillow in there at nap time to elevate her head.  I'm thinking at 20 months it's probably not technically recommended but harmless?  Any factors I should consider?  Thanks y'all!

She woke up last night looking so miserable.  I thought she might have croup (sp?), but the nurse I spoke to didn't think the cough was distinctive enough.  DD only woke up that one time, so it wasn't as bad as it first seemed.  Phew!  Home with her today, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

Does anyone have a pillow in LO's crib?  DD is 20 months and has a cold (hope that's all).  I put a full-size pillow in there at nap time to elevate her head.  I'm thinking at 20 months it's probably not technically recommended but harmless?  Any factors I should consider?  Thanks y'all!

She woke up last night looking so miserable.  I thought she might have croup (sp?), but the nurse I spoke to didn't think the cough was distinctive enough.  DD only woke up that one time, so it wasn't as bad as it first seemed.  Phew!  Home with her today, though.

Just put the pillow UNDER the matress to elevate it.  Then you don't have to worry as much.   Croup definitely sounds like a barking seal.  It's a weird noise.  Hope she feels better soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Fram, we are in the same boat. DD's cough was so bad that I thought she was going to throw up. For 2 days that was the only symptom, but I took her the Dr. because a kid at daycare had pneumonia, and she had it last year. Luckily her lungs were clear. Now her nose is a faucet. We were up all night last night and if she wakes up again tonight I was going to put some blankets under her crib to elevate like Lissa said. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks ladies!  I've done a folded up blanket under the crib matress in the past, but it didn't seem like enough.  I'll try sticking the pillow under there.  Having it in there last night made it very difficult for me to go to bed!  I kept wondering if I should sneak in and take the pillow out.

Liv - Sounds very familiar!!  She woke up Thursday night coughing and did throw up once.  Still coughing, but now her nose is running like crazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Boy it seems like we're all starting to fight the wintertime germs...DD (4.5 months) also has her first cold. Last night was rough for us- she was up every hour from 7-10 then up for a whole hour at 10. Finally got her to sleep by 11ish and she slept fitfully after that, due to sneezing, coughing, runny nose and lots of drool, and she just couldn't get comfy in her crib. DH and I felt so bad...this is her first sickness so we're trying everything to help her feel better. Saline drops, tucked a couple books under her mattress to elevate it a tiny bit, lots of snuggles and a tiny bit of Vick's BABY rub (not the adult kind). I know besides these things there's nothing else we can do, but does anyone have any tips?

I know in a matter of days I'll be fighting this too, since she sneezed in my eyes AND stuck her fingers up my nose this AM. Just in time for Thanksgiving- never fails! For the past 8-10 years I've been sick for nearly every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday (inbetween those 2 holidays) or some combination of the 3 events!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

We are all fighting a 10 day cold at our house. DD seems to be through the worst of it, but now DH and I have it and it is pure misery.

Summer, I was just thinking how much I missed being able to let DD sleep in her bucket seat when she had a cold, it seems to keep her from getting too stuffed up and her breathing was easier.

Now, she's all over her bed and propping up the mattress has worked against us as she managed to get her head down at the low end :) Ah, good times at our house.

DD also started chewing her nails, she's 2, not sure if it's teething related or cold related but my husband is concerned because his brother had a horrible nail chewing habit. She even grabbed my hand an started chewing at my nails when we were watching Sesame Street the other day. Not sure what to do, if it's a little phase or a bad habit developing, but it's just gross.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We're right there with you ladies, DS is on his second cold since starting daycare.  We've been doing all of the above.  Summer - I put the baby vicks on his feet and cover them with socks before bed.  I also have a humidifier going in his room at night and I have his heat up a little higher than normal.  He HATES having his nose touched, poor guy, but we've been using the suction thing and saline drops to try to keep it clear.  Saturday night he coughed so much he threw up and it contained a lot of mucus, do I need to call the doctor about something like that?  Being a new mom I took him in during his first cold and they told me I just needed to wait it out.  Is there anything that I need to look for that would make me take him in this time? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We've all got runny noses in my household too!  'Tis the season, especially with these back and forth temps.  Cutest thing though... my DS now says "Bwess you Mama" when I sneeze.  Clearly I've been saying it quite a bit to him recently!

I am writing from my new office... AKA my home!  This is the beginning of my second week and wow, working from home is amazing so far.  Not driving the 1 to 1 1/2 hours into the city every day (and out again) is a godsend.  I definitely feel truly "remote" from my NYC and Toronto colleagues... but I'll take it for 3 extra hours in my day not commuting!

I was a "single parent" for the past 5 days.  DH went away with the guys, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  I think DS actually behaves a bit better for just one of us.  In 5 whole days he only had two time outs (which is amazingly less than normal).  We had date night Friday night after work/daycare and he was so cute in the restaurant that everyone was commenting how friendly and talkative he was.  So bizarre for a normally very shy kid!  And our typical Sunday breakfast to the pancake house was awesome.  I'll be very glad when DH comes home tonight for a break (and to see him of course!).

Only issue we are having these days is DS keeps getting uncovered at night, and then whimpers quite loudly anywhere from 1-4 times a night.  He's still in his crib, so I can't really tuck anything in, so I just cover him with a blanket when he goes to bed (I'd leave it out, but he really asks for it now).  He's a real mover, so he's out from under that in no time.  Last night he whimpered at 11pm, 3am and 3:45am.  I feel bad not going in in case he's actually cold (which I doubt since we keep his room at 70 and he's in cozy PJs and socks).  I think he just likes to be snuggled under.  When I cover him up, he's right back asleep.  I could get a much larger blanket, but I'm hesitant for it to be too big.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

We're right there with you ladies, DS is on his second cold since starting daycare.  We've been doing all of the above.  Summer - I put the baby vicks on his feet and cover them with socks before bed.  I also have a humidifier going in his room at night and I have his heat up a little higher than normal.  He HATES having his nose touched, poor guy, but we've been using the suction thing and saline drops to try to keep it clear.  Saturday night he coughed so much he threw up and it contained a lot of mucus, do I need to call the doctor about something like that?  Being a new mom I took him in during his first cold and they told me I just needed to wait it out.  Is there anything that I need to look for that would make me take him in this time? 

I think the causes for concern are a high fever, weepy/gunky eyes, a worsening cough, a decrease in wet diapers if they're dehydrated, or if they tug at their ears/seem to be in pain.

I'm no dr but I'd guess your DS threw up mucus from post-nssal drip which probably caused the coughing in the first place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

IPW, I was just wondering if you had started your new job yet, so jealous! I'll be curious to see how you manage your time, both your work time and the three hours of your life DAILY that you just got back!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi all, hope all is well!!

I posted a picture of my DD with Lissa's DD at the zoo on the Facebook page!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi everyone!  I've missed you all!  I'm going to try to catch up on all the news when I can, but just wanted to say hello.  I hope you and your kiddos are all doing well! Gavin (baby boy) is 3 months now - it's been a whirlwind, I've had almost no time on the computer at all since he was born, but am back at work now and things are feeling a bit less crazy. Looking forward to reading all your news!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Sorry to hear how all your LO's are not feeling well.  DS and I just got over a cold this week. 

Good to hear from you poppy.  I hope being back at work is going well.

We had DS 4 month doctors appointment today.  He is 15.1 LBS and 27" long!  She said he is gaining well and a healthy boy! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

DH, DD (27 months), and I just got back from a weekend visiting my FIL in Atlanta.  DD was really great in the airport and on the plane, and she is normally pretty easygoing.  But, once we were there, she was a lot more whiny than usual, a more picky eater, and wanted me to do everything (no Daddy you can't get me out of the car seat, Mama has to do it....no Papa, don't touch my toast, Mama has to do it).  She also wanted her pacifier more often (she usually only gets it for sleeping).  In the past when we have traveled she has been great overall, but does usually want her pacifier more.  This crankiness and wanting me to do everything is new though.  Sometimes we tried to insist that Daddy was going to help, but it was hard to listen to screaming tantrums often, so I did do a lot of what she wanted me to do. It probably also didn't help that she missed her nap the first day we traveled, so not sure if that threw her off. 

It has gotten better since we have returned home and gotten back into our regular routines, but she does still sometimes lapse back into the mama has to do everything mode.  What do you all think?  Should I be insisting that other people can help and just deal with the tantrums, or can I assume that this will go away now that we are home?  How can we avoid this crankiness when traveling in the future?  I usually love to travel, but right now I have no desire to go anywhere again anytime soon. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Poppy, welcome back! So good to see you here. Looking forward to hearing more about settling in to the new house, big sister adjustments and what it's like to be a Mom of 2!

Memes, she was probably out of her element and trying to assert some control over the situation and know her #1 (you!) was there to meet her needs in this new environment. I don't have a solution, but if she adjusted back that would be my theory.

DD is super in to acting like a baby lately. She brings me a blanket and wants to be swaddled, and wants me to feed her a sippy like a baby bottle. We always say she's just a little baby and we can't wait until she can walk, and talk and play with the kitties. I think this is normal regression for a toddler that has had a huge growth spirt and language explosion, she also just started a pre-preschool playgroup at her future preschool. That said, I'm struggling these days with our inability to have another child and I wonder if I am somehow negatively encouraging this play, that she's hearing and somehow absorbing things I say when I think she can't hear.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Travel causes us all some anxiety as it's well out of our routine, a double edge sword re how relaxing any vacation can really be and is often why we feel we "need a vacation from our vacation."  Little ones' anxiety manifests in different ways often by age.  As you noticed, it was apparent in an earlier trip by a heavier reliance on her pacifier, and this time in another way.  It takes awhile for any of us to recover from a long term (vacation length) stress - our bodies don't know the difference between fun stress and negative stress - and it does LOs, too.  I'd say just be patient with her as she readjusts and comes again to count on her regular routine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - so happy to hear from you!  We were wondering about you.

Memes - hopefully it will pass as you all readjust from travel, but my DD is the same age and did the exact same thing, although now it is easing up a little.  I can't say we did much to really quell it, but perhaps the only thing was to tell her who was going to do something before anyone made a move, and then stick with it (even if screaming occurred).  Like before DH or I get up, one of us will say, "Daddy's going to lift you down from your chair."  Sometimes there was still yelling, but overall it was better than if he just went to do it without warning.  Similarly, if I say I'm going to do something, I have to follow it through.

They also started swim class (just the two of them go - so cute) and I think that has helped also - they didn't have a lot of one on one time without me around over the last 6 months, so I think it helped reinforce that Dad can take good care of her, too.  Best of luck to you!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

What is this facebook page you girls keep mentioning? :)

Sections
Shortcuts