NPR story on preschools

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

NPR story on preschools

Here's one for sunshine: revisiting a 1960s study on the benefits of preschool

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/08/12/139583385/preschool-the-best-job-training-program

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Re: NPR story on preschools

Lemon - Did you see the article in Time about the fact that Headstart doesn't work?  What a shame that a government sanctioned program is not helping those who need it the most in these early years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I did not. What is Headstart?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Lemon- preschool + parenting support (e.g., teaching parenting strategies, nutrition, etc.) for low income families.

Luck- I will have to look that up. I know there was a lot of literature years ago about how it made huge changes in the preschool and kindergarten years, but there wasn't a big difference in elementary and middle school. However, studies assessing kids 20 years out showed a tremendous difference with respect to jobs, marriage, prison time, etc. The thought that was the people measuring the elementary and middle school kids were measuring things in a way that didn't capture the changes. However, if there is a new study- that would be really interesting!  Thanks for the post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Winter - Part of the point of the article is that government should put Headstart in the hands of the educators more and it would probably be more beneficial. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

sometimes things that seem so logical...