Nursing and the Pill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Nursing and the Pill

I had my 6 week appointment and talked about birth control options.  I am going to do the Essure process but it takes a bit for everything to be effective and you need to have a consult etc before you can even go through the procedure.  So in the meantime I am planning on going on the mini pill.  I told the midwife that I nurse and do formula feedings and she said if I nurse only four times per day to go on the regular pill but that it will affect my milk supply.  I've been trying to keep track of how frequently I nurse and it is typically between 4 or 5 times a day.

Has anyone had success nursing and being on the regular pill vs the mini pill?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Re: Nursing and the Pill

I actually had my milk supply plummet with the mini pill, so I would definitely be wary of the regular pill.  It sounds like you are definitely DONE, with considering Essure, so if you did do the mini pill maybe also use a backup/additional method given its higher failure rate. 
    That is a tough call, but I would say if you really want to continue nursing as much as you are, the regular pill is not for you. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

KT - Sorry to change the subject, but whats Essure?  I am pretty sure we are done having kids but done want to rule out 100% just in case for some reason we, lets say hit the lottery or something but it sounds like something that is not permanent?  I thought I read something in the doctors office a few months back about some procedure they do in the office now?  I actually was going to talk to the doctor about my options at my appt on Wednesday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Well I only plan on nursing for about another month, so I'm wondering if its worth it to go on any pill at all.

Quad - Essure are coils that are inserted into you tubes that prevent any eggs from dropping.  I was too nervous during my c-section that something would be wrong so I at the last minute did not get my tubes tied.  Essure is done in office (I think by Dr Chen) and seems pretty simple. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks KT - Part of me likes being on the pill because it regulates my period and helps the symtoms during that time.   But the other part of me does not want to take a pill for the remainder of my child bearing years.  I see what options will suit me the best.  Thanks for the info, My appt is with Dr Kotch on Wednesday so I will talk with her!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Nursing and the Pill:
    [QUOTE]Well I only plan on nursing for about another month, so I'm wondering if its worth it to go on any pill at all.
    Posted by KT75[/QUOTE]

Hi KT - I don't think the pill (or mini pill) would be effective if you only used it for a month?  Or would it be longer before the Essure procedure?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

The Essure is not effective until at least 3 months after you have it done.  I nursed (well pumped) for 3 months with DD and was thinking the same time frame for DS.  I have been re-thinking it though because it is much easier this time around but I would not do more than 1-2 feeding per day.