Nursing/ Formula Combo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Nursing/ Formula Combo?

I'm pregnant with my second, and for several reasons, I'm hoping to do take a hybrid nursing/formula approach.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this arrangement, or any tips to share?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Nursing/ Formula Combo?

I pumped and supplemented with formula for DD.  I pumped at each of her feedings but a day of pumping was rarely enough to keep her satisfied so that was when I would supplement.  Eventually pumping at every feeding got to be too stressful and I would skip pumping and only give formula. 

For example I started out getting up during the night and give DD a bottle of pumped milk then I would pump after feeding her.  I cut that pumping session first and went with formula for an additional feeding during the day.  To me that worked out better than the straight pumping.

I'm now 36 weeks preg w/#2 and I plan on physically nursing this time (DD was tongue tied so there were latching issues) and using formula as well.  Hoping that it goes smoothly!

Reading through this it doesn't sound very clear, but I'd be happy to clarify (if I can).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

I had to supplement with formula because DS was not gaining enough weight just on nursing alone.  I nursed and pumped exclusively for 2.5 months, then the doctor had us start supplementing with a few ounces of formula at every feeding.  He chunked right up, slept better, even nursed a little better (nursing was a little tough for us, but we stuck it out because I am stubborn).  I only nursed for 6.5 months, but it made transitioning him off the breast a lot easier.  It also put him on a much more regular feeding schedule because he wasn't constantly hungry.

I nursed him a half hour, gave him a few ounces of formula right afterwards.  For nighttime feedings, I let him nurse awhile longer and if he fell asleep I skipped the formula.  By the time he went to daycare at almost four months old, he was doing 4-5 oz breast milk at every feeding and 3-4 oz of formula.  He was ALWAYS offered breast milk first and if he didn't finish the formula, that was perfectly fine.  Sometimes he inhaled both, sometimes he just drank breastmilk and had a couple sips of formula.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

When I started pumping I realized I wasn't pumping enough to keep up with my 3mo dd so I started adding formula to the breastmilk (she wouldnt take formula otherwise). I started with 1.5 oz bm and 1 oz formula and i slowly started to up the formula amount. Now she takes 1 oz bm with 4 oz of formula for every bottle and will take formula straight so I know that when I'm ready she will be able to transition.
    Side note: Is it possible to switch formulas or if you find one that works just sticking with that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

LL Tyrrell - Re: Switching formulas - it really depends on the baby. Some babies are OK with any formula, and will happily switch between different brands. Others are more sensitive, and really need to stick with what works. The only way to know what will work for your LO is to try it and see how it goes.
    HTH

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I'm doing a combo of pumping and formula with my 2 week old DD.  I think I'm pumping 7 times/day and she's eating 9 times as she cluster feeds for a 3 hour span at night.  She has either 3oz of pumped milk or 2-3oz of formula (Good Start) at a feeding - right now it's 7 pumped bottles and 2 formula.  She pretty much eats every 3 hours during the day, then cluster feeds at night, and then gives us some longer spans overnight.  One night she did 6 hours (!), but 4 seems to be more typical.  This is working well for us as she won't latch (small mouth, LCs think it will take her a few more weeks) and it's giving her a decent amount of breastmilk without me having a newborn feeding off of me for 12 hours a day like DS needed to.  With a 2 yo toddler, this seems to be the best I can work out currently and I don't think straight nursing would work with our schedule/lifestyle with him.  This way too, DH can do an overnight feeding of pumped or formula and I can sleep a little more.
    I have a feeling the pumping will get tiresome and I will keep trying to latch her with the help of the LCs at SSH.  Eventually I will do more and more formula until she is completely weaned before I go back to work, though.  What is making this approach work is the fact that I pumped constantly in the hospital (4 day stay with c-section) since she wasn't latching to build up a supply and I built up a really good one.  Also, since latching isn't working period, there was no option but to introduce the bottle - I couldn't worry about n*pple confusion whereas if she were latching and sucking properly, I probably would have been encouraged by LCs to wait at least 2 weeks before introducing the bottle. 
    I think if you are going to try both, definitely pump a ton in the beginning and put in more effort nursing than you plan to in the long run, to get the supply established well and try to use bottles that are considered slow flow and the least likely to cause confusion.  Good Start is supposedly gentler and more broken down than other formulas, so it supposedly digests a little more easily like BM.  This may help a bit. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

is it ok to mix the breast milk right into the formula bottle or do you do them separately?  right now we give one formula bottle a day as well - it's around 6 -7pm by my DH when he gets home.  he gives DS (who is 5 1/2 weeks old now) about 3-4 oz of formula in which he still seems starving so we top him off after with about 2 oz BM...  we give the BM after because that has the sleepy effect that we find formula doesn't have...  so that way if he falls asleep after, we can have dinner together! 

I've been using the enfamil powder infant right now...  we plan to switch after 3 months to the enfamil powder newborn and see how that goes.. i've heard good things about the enfamil gentle ease so when i have to go out and buy one on my own (these others were given by my pediatrician or sent for free by enfamil) then i might try that.. we also were given some premade similac bottles at the hospital so I may try that when we are out and about and see how it goes.. they are only 2 oz bottles so not enough to satisfy him in one feeding but i can at least try a diff brand and consistency (versus powder) to see what he thinks of it.  my pediatrician said by law they are all required to have the same stuff so you "should" be able to interchange brands...  who knows though, I think the baby will be able to tell and then it just depends on his temperament... all you can do is try.

I've noticed the last few nights our DH has starting really screaming after eating..  he has like sticky milk in his mouth (doesn't matter if it's formula or BM) we just have to keep burping him till he either belches (which is loud when he does it and he startles himself) or he spits up... anyone else seen this?  He's arching his back too but when i asked the pedi about it at his 4 week appt (he had only done it a few times though then) he said it was natural and spit happens and it's not like he's losing weight or is fussy all the time or does it every single feeding..  could this be reflux at all?  or overeating?   he's a tank.. over 11 lbs already at 5 1/2 weeks and was born at 8lbs 10oz... also he eats a lot - seems like 5 oz at least, but is efficient (eats fairly fast.. 20 mins if BFing and 30 mins if a bottle to get about 3 1/2 to 4 oz down then follows up with BM of a couple oz which he sucks down, not sure how much BM he takes in for the 20 mins)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

oh, and maybe it will help to describe the sound he's been making too after eating... i can't tell if its' coming from his nose (mucusy) or his mouth.. the sticky substance in there.. literally the milk seems so sticky and we can't lay him flat until it's out.  we almost ended up having him sleep in his lamb chair last night but after the next feeding he got a good burp out (and a little spit up) and went down.. he was pretty noisy at night with his breathing but he usually is.. just seems a little lounder than normal the last two nights... i wonder if he has a cold?  hmm...  i don't know, it's just painful to watch (and to listen too as the scream can be a bit piercing).