Nursing Tanks/T's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Nursing Tanks/T's

Can't really help, but I was thinking about it this weekend... A friend suggested having lots of tanks w/shelf bras for nursing.  I thought, Ooh I already have a few of those!  Then I put one on this weekend and realized if it's barely fitting over my b00bs now, it probably won't fit at all when I'm nursing!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I never bought any nursing tops or anything.  I bought two nursing tank tops for the hospital and when I initially got home as people told me that you really don't know what size bra you are going to need until after the baby is born and your milk comes in.  So I went out about week after the baby was born and bought nursing bras at lady grace. 

I do nurse when I am out but I wear the nursing tank tops so when I pull up my shirt or whatever my stomach and stuff is covered up and I do it some place that is pretty private or use a blanket to cover up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I did buy two special nursing tops, from Motherhood but on sale through Amazon.
    I really loved them, but only when it was hot out and I couldn't stand to have any extra layers.  Now that it's cold out, I wear a nursing bra and a stretchy tank top under every outfit.  That way the shirt can come up and the tank and bra can come down, but it still covers the stomach and everything.  This gives the same amount of coverage as the special nursing tops.
    The tank tops I have are not special nursing ones, they're just super stretchy so they can pull down with no problem and still feel comfy.  A lot of people swear by nursing tanks, though.  I favor the stretchy tank because I am challenged by clipping the bra back together with one hand while holding the baby in the other, so at least I don't have to clip the tank as well!  I *hear* that some lucky people can just wear a supportive nursing tank without a separate bra, but I have not attempted this feat outside the home.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Target has cheap ones, both tanks and bras.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'd suggest buying two nursing tanks from target to start http://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMalley-Nursing-Tank-Black/dp/B003RT9ELW/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

These are great -- really comfortable. I still wear mine, six months after weaning. As LLLE said, you won't know your size for a while, so don't bother throwing down on a bra until your supply has stabilized.

I bought a bunch of cheap bras from target http://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMalley-Lace-Underwire-Nursing/dp/B000KKWUPI/ref=sc_qi_detaillink. I leaked and sprayed a lot, so I ended up washing them constantly. I didn't want to spend money on an expensive bra and ruin it. I also kept thinking I'd wean and then not weaning. If I do it again, I will buy one nice nursing bra for work and going out. Everyone says that Bravado are the best.

Nursing tops are totally useless. They open from the top or along a v-neck, which bares more of your breast than if you hitch your shirt up and put the baby to the breast from the bottom. Although I wasn't super concerned about discretion -- if anything, I was the opposite. I felt like I should represent, and I nursed openly as much as possible. But if you are concerned, then it's best to wear loose-fitting shirts and just put the baby under the shirt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, and this is a comfortable bra to start with and wear to bed

http://www.target.com/Gilligan-O%E2%80%99Malley-Nursing-Sleep-Bra/dp/B000KKVHYI/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

You want the first bra to be super soft and easy to use, and this one is.

Don't wear any underwire until your supply stabilizes -- the underwire could rub against the milk ducts and lead to plugged ducts or inflammation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I'm with the majority here - LOVED nursing tanks and still wearing them also - can't beat the ones at Target and bonus they are pretty inexpensive!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I never wore nursing bras because it was a pain trying to unhook them and also wear a shirt that was nursing friendly. I wore nursing tanks all the time. I bought the padded ones from Motherhood Maternity http://www.destinationmaternity.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=94210Z10362&MasterCategory_Id=MC29 I would just wear another t-shirt on top of it, and pull it up when nursing. I don't have a large chest, so I could get away with just wearing the tank tops, fyi. 

Over the course of nearly 15 months of nursing I did wear them out and replaced them a couple times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Second, or third the nursing tanks!  I have 7 or 8 of them in a bunch of colors from Target, the one's Lemon refers to.  I also like either wearing a button down or cardigan and pulling that aside and not exposing my whole belly... and also pulling up a shirt with the same belly coverage.  These tanks are so comfortable, early in my maternity leave I wore them 24 hours a day.  Even to bed.  Wish I actually had a few of them in the hospital.  As for sizing... I am petite, usually wear a small top.  But fit into the Large tanks.  My only gripe with them is they don't have the best lift support.  So now that I'm back at work and in my work clothes (still wearing the tanks)... I look down and think "huhm... those are a lot lower than they used to be" - but at some point I'll get back into regular bras and lift those babies back up.  But when you are pumping and nursing... the quick clips are essential!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thank you, thank you! I knew I could count on you ladies for some advice! I'll be heading to Target! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Nursing Tanks/T's:
    [QUOTE]I am petite, usually wear a small top.  But fit into the Large tanks.  My only gripe with them is they don't have the best lift support.
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]

The ones that are fitted all the way down have much better support than the ones that are loose over a shelf bra. You might want to go down a size -- they do run small, but they're really  stretchy, so the tighter you get it, the better support you'll have. I love how long they are, too -- I hate the tanks that just go down to my belly button. I could pull these down over my butt if I wanted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I liked the Target (or was it Walmart?) nursing tanks, but I really found I needed a nursing bra, too... just not enough support.  Also, I found the nursing tanks pretty fitted, and post c-section, still recovering, and dealing with my new mom bust measurements, they weren't modest enough for me and I wore them only under zip or button front tops/cardigans/sweatshirts.  For around the house and at nighttime though, they were great.  I did like Target's nursing bras a lot.  I also had latch issues that caused frequent re-latching and repositioning of DS and we could only do the football hold for the first few weeks, so modesty was at a premium to begin with.   
    This time around, I ordered a 2-3 comfy looking nursing tops from Gap/Oldnavy on clearance.  I don't plan on wearing them crazy long term, but I've seen a few friends really get through those first few weeks of nursing around the clock more comfortably and modestly with the nursing tops.  I'm hoping they do the trick. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I've bought both nursing tanks and bras.  Similar to Lemon, I use the nursing bras when I'm going someplace nice.  I wear the tanks almost daily.  I have a bunch from Target but they don't have that much support.  I also bought some from the Maternity store in Wrentham which were much better (I can't remember the brand) and were severely discounted.  Another benefit of the nursing tanks is that it helps cover the post partum belly. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

I mostly do the same thing as medford - a nursing bra under a stretchy tank that can be pulled down.  I also have a number of cotton long sleeve v-necks that have buttons, so I can unbutton them and just pull the whole thing down to nurse.  I have a couple of nursing tops that do come in handy if at a family party or other place where you may need to nurse around people discreetly.
    For the beginning, you will definitely want a wireless, soft bra.  The sleep bras were huge for me at first b/c I had really sore n!pples.  I have had good luck at Motherhood for bras, and they're not too much $$.
    FYI nursing tanks from Walmart, although cheap, are really not that great.  I spend the $ on one black tank from Gap and it was worth it for me...it's longer than most of them which I liked, and is nice and stretchy.  Otherwise I agree the Target ones are good!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I spent the big bucks on Bravado tanks.  I bought two after having DD (they're sized according to your bra size) and there's no need to wear a separate bra with them.  As for durability, I'm still wearing them 2.5 years later since I didn't need new ones for DS.  Oh and I did take them off and  washed them a few times in 2.5 years.  ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I splurged for the Bravado's too - I am larger chested and they were well worth the $$ and held up really well.  For tops I tried to just get regular V neck or V neck empire waist ones - those worked out fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yeah, I went with the Bravados.  They are $$$ but I am currently a G cup (G for GOOD GOD, look at those b**bs!!!!!!!!) and they are awesome.  I basically wear them under button-down shirts and cardigans for work and love them.  Ditto what Lemon said about nursing tops -- I've hated every single one I bought.  They are either cheap or frumpy looking.  I'd rather spend the money on the nursing undergarments and wear clothes that allow easy access, not mysterious n*pple openings. 

I sleep in the loose nursing tanks from Cantaloop (I get them from the Zulilly site whenever they have a sale) and those are awesome.  I don't like their bras or fitted tanks, though, as they give you that earth-mama saggy b**b look, and I have enough body image issues at the moment, thanks. 

If you are not rocking a p*rn-star chest, I would go with the Target tanks and save a few bucks. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I totally agree with the recommendations for the Target nursing bras and tanks. I weaned DD over a year ago, and still am wearing the nursing bras and tanks because I can't fit into my old bras, and have been too lazy to get properly fitted for new bras. Plus the tanks are SOOOOO comfy. I think that the durability is high (two years of wear, and they aren't worn out - some of my maternity clothes looked worn out before I even had DD.)
    I never bought and "nursing" tops (the ones that have slits in them) but I did get several button down or henly style tops. They are OK for nursing, but I found that for pumping, it was better to just pull the shirt up. That's where the tanks really paid off, because the room for pumping at my work was freezing cold (especially in the summer - the A/C was brutal) and it's hard enough to hold all the pump parts, nevermind trying to do it while shivering.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

I bought a few different things but my staples ended up being nursing bras (I like the sports type ones that pull up as opposed to the kind that clip near your arm pits), tank tops and a zip up jacket.  That way you just pull up your bra & tank top to nurse while your zip up jacket covers what needs to be covered.  I also used a neat apron looking thing for a while that went around my neck but now that DD is  6 months old, she doesn't want to be covered up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I haven't had a chance to read every reply yet, but has anyone had trouble with nursing tanks in that the inside part of the tank that... hm, how to explain it... the fabric that sort of circles around your boobs underneath the outer layer of the tank (does that make sense) - anyway, has anyone had issues with that showing?  It looks really weird - like I'm wearing some sort of S&M gear under my tank.  It doesnt' seem to matter what size tank I buy - it's happened with all of them.  Annoying because I can't just wear a tank under a cardigan - that part always seems to show.

And am I allowed to wear underwire now (3 months into nursing)?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I wore an underwire a couple weeks into nursing. It's just a question of whether or not you're prone to plugged ducts. If you're not having any problems, go for it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Poppy -- YES.  My Cantaloop bras do that.  The cups sort of pull away and you can see the nursing structure underneath.  That, combined with the aforementioned Earth Mama B**b effect have essentially made the Bravado tanks my go-tos. 

I also purchased some "pretty" nursing bras from a company called, wait for it ... Hot Milk.  Again, a Zullilly find.  I like them b/c they act like an underwire w/o the underwire, but they are a tad itchy, due to the prettiness.  Plus, I don't want to lead DH to believe that relations are in our future, so I don't wear them much. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]Plus, I don't want to lead DH to believe that relations are in our future, so I don't wear them much. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

Ha ha!  I totally agree.  :)  Wouldn't want to mislead the husband...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] Hot Milk.
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

ewwwww

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]  Plus, I don't want to lead DH to believe that relations are in our future, so I don't wear them much. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Relations - what are those?

Would it be crazy to purchase nothing or almost nothing until after the baby gets here?  I figure I'll barely leave the house for a few weeks, so I won't need all kinds of fancy nursing clothing.  Maybe just one bra and one tank to start?

Sections
Shortcuts