Nursing Tops

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Nursing Tops

recommendations?  I have a couple of nursing tops from Motherhood and just find them so cheap and dont' hold up in the wash - and they are constantly being washed!  what have others done?  Buy regular shirts that are button down or v-neck and so will work for BF....  buy specifically designed nursing tops.... or lift up a regular shirt with a nursing tank underneath?  combination of everything?  I'm dying to buy some new things to wear but not sure what to look for.   at this time I would like some more actual nursing tops b/c BF is still a bit tricky for us.....  and the selection of nursing tops on gap.com is pretty slim, but I don't know who else makes clothes for BF??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Re: Nursing Tops

I hear you lesal and also need some good suggestions also... I do not use nursing bras - the few that I have for whatever reason do not have the pad 100% sewn in, so inevitably they fold over inside the bra and are a huge hassle to fix.

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=942100362&MasterCategory_Id=MC29 is the favorite nursing tank from Motherhood that i have.. however the straps, like you said are kind of falling apart, and some of the elastic stripping on the inner layer was also pulling out and becoming loose. However I still like it the best and figure I'l just keep buying them and throw out the worn out ones.

I tried another  brand from a website (can't remember the name) but they were also awful...
    In general I wear a regular shirt over the tank and that has been easiest for me. I found "nursing shirts" to just be a waste for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I used a combo of nursing tank and pulling a regular top up, and either button up/henley (buttons/zips partway) with a nursing bra. At home, I would sometimes shed the extra shirt altogether, but out and about I'd try and stay more covered. I bought great nursing tanks at target, they were cheapish, and have held up over a year+ of nursing/pumping. I was less thrilled about Target's nursing bras - they carry several different styles, and some worked better than others. Also, I seemed to change sizes for the first several weeks of nursing. I also have a few nursing bras from Motherhood, as well as from the pricier brand at Destination Maternity, and they held up OK, but the pricier padded bras I never put in the dryer, on the salesclerk's recommendation (She pointed out that the different fabrics shrink different amounts.)
    I found a few Maternity shirts at Target that worked well as nursing shirts (They had a deep overlapping V neck) but it was just by looking for tops that seemed like they would work (going into the chaging room and whipping out a b00b, to make sure it was a workable solution).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Ditto what amy-lynn said.  I have almost exclusively relied on nursing tanks from Target.  I either wear a regular shirt over it or I have a few maternity shirts with the overlapping vneck that she mentioned.  BY far, the overlapping vneck with a tank underneath is my favorite.  I can either pull the vneck aside if I'm at home or in company that doesn't mind a little bit of a show, or I can pull the shirt up and the tank down so that less is exposed.

I have never bought from the following site, but it was recommended on a blog that I read.  Their prices seem reasonable and might be worth a try.
    http://www.milknursingwear.com/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I also bought some nursing tanks at Target and LOVED them.  They were the Gilligan&OMally brand.  I found them very comfy and easy to use for nursing/pumping.   They have different colors (black, grey, white, brown) that I thought helped switch things up a bit and worked with different outfits.   I also bought some Medela bras and loved those as well.   They were the racerback type that were sized S, M, L, XL so there was no stress in finding out a cup size.  I got those at BrU but I know they are available other places and online as well.    In terms of tops, I had a hard time finding things because my b*obs were so big and uncomfortable.  But I wore some button down shirts, t shirts that I'd throw off when feeding (I didn't really feed in public so it was ok when I was at home or at my parents).    I guess I also found a bunch of things that I could just pull down off my shoulder.   Although I stopped nursing and started exclusively pumping pretty early on.  It just worked better for me.  It is hard but I am sure you will find something that works well for you soon.

And, for the record, I stopped pumping when I went back to work and I am still wearing both the tanks and the bras!!!!     They are just that comfy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

well, I guess I will pick up a few tank tops - I only have 1 right now and it's too low cut for me to wear it with any other low cut tops so I haven't been using it much.  I suspect that buying nursing tops will end up being a waste, so maybe I'll just pick up a few vneck and button down tops.  I feel like my closet is a disaster right now, I'm in between maternity and normal sizes so my drawers are jammed with clothes but I have only about 4 things that fit me :)  none of which are my old pants, sadly.  which leads me to my next thread topic.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I have to agree about the Nursing tanks at target - liked them a LOT better than the ones I got from Motherhood etc. AND they were cheaper!  I wore these almost exclusively... (pre-baby I am fairly small chested)

I also never bought ANY nursing shirts, I used the tanks in conjunction with losse fitting, 'flowy' or empire style shirts, which were easy to find at the time (2 years ago)  I had a couple from early pregnancy that worked well and they also helped with my still pudgy waistline at the time :)

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

This has been pretty well covered, but I agree about the nursing tanks from target.  They were great.  I liked them better than the more expensive ones I got from Isis maternity.  I did buy a couple of nursing tops, but I didn't like them very much.  I found that they were more of a hassle than anything else.  I just wore the nursing bras/tanks with shirts that were easy to shove to the side and it worked out fine.  I wore the tanks for a long time (DD just weaned a couple of weeks ago at 22 months) and they held up quite well.

Sections
Shortcuts