Nut allergies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Nut allergies

At our 9 mth doctor's appt last week, my doc said to start whatever table foods we wanted - but was still adament about the "no nuts until 2 years" rule.  I have read so much conflicting about this.  And I know there is still no firm answer.  But I'm concerned about one view that I'm reading more and more about, which is that holding off nuts for so long may actually be contributing to nut allergies.  Some pediatricians are now saying start at 6 mths or 1 year, where many are still sticking to the 2 year rule.  What have all your docs been saying?  What have you all been doing/are going to do with your babies/toddlers about nuts?  There is not a single nut allergy in my family or DH's... should that make a difference how I plan?  So far DS has no allergies (eggs, wheat, dairy, etc.) so I'm so leary of waiting so long.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Re: Nut allergies

IPW I was wondering about this as well.  I don't have any advice except that we are going to bring it up with our pedi at our 12 month appt.  We don't have any allergies in our family either.  We haven't tried eggs yet but everything else has been fine.

I'm also wondering what parents with older kids have done about nuts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Our pedi (who is pretty old school) said nuts were fine to introduce at about 12 months. His biggest concern was choking, not allergies. We gently broached nuts by giving DS some rice that had been in contact with a nut-containing sauce. Then started giving either peanut butter or almond butter on small bits of toast around 12 months. No problems whatsoever. Thank goodness, too, because they've turned out to be a great calorie source for my skinny minny. (FWIW, I also ate a whole lot of peanut butter during my pg. It was one of the only foods I could stomach during my 1st trimester.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I totally agree - the info out there is really confusing.

I took the LO (11 months) in a couple of weeks ago because she was sick and saw a different doctor (not our usual pediatrician).  I mentioned to her that the baby had been eating a lot of hummus and I hadn't realized that sesame was often delayed.  She said that the current stance is that there is no evidence that delaying foods prevents allergies and that doctors who recommend it are "old fashioned".  She said the only reason to delay a food is due to a choking hazard (e.g. whole nuts, sticky peanut butter).
    I will ask our regular doctor at the 1 year but he has had a similar stance in the past.

When I Google this, I see articles referring to an AAP stance change in 2008 saying that there is no evidence to support delaying nuts, but I can't find anything on the AAP site itself.
    Confusing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I think all of you are getting the advice I would give except the wait until 2 years for nuts.  I tell people after 1 year all bets are off and you can introduce peanut products, eggs, etc . I just stress the choking part.  There is limited evidence supporting delayed introduction.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I asked my pedi about introducing nuts. We haven't had any problems with any other foods with ds, but we do have someone in our family who needs to eat gluten free (ds has shown no allergies to any of it). I am very nervous about it since the reactions to nuts seem so severe. The pedi said there are two schools of thought - one being to wait and the other to introduce early. Nobody really knows. Thanks- that helped a lot! Ds is 16 mos and we haven't given him any peanut butter or anything. I'm thinking of introducing it right before his 18 month checkup so we'd be at the doctor's if anything happened (and I'm only somewhat joking!).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine025. Show sunshine025's posts

I have also heard about delaying strawberries?
    anyone heard of that?
    DS is almost 10 months, and has had blueberries, and rasperries, but not strawberries....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Sunshine, I have heard that strawberries can be allergens, but I saw that they were in many of the level 2 baby foods (gerber, happy baby, etc.).  So we went with it around 6 mths.  No problems.  I don't think they have been known to have as bad a reaction at nuts.  And sometimes its more of a skin reaction (red blotches around mouth but not stomach upset).  I guess shellfish is another, but I'm not chomping at the bit to give DS a clam :-)  I just would love to give DS some peanut butter or perhaps banana bread that I usually make with nuts (very, very small ones!)

As for being "old fashioned," our ped is maybe 36!  So I'm not sure why she is so adament about the 2-year rule.  Unless perhaps she had a bad experience with a patient and nuts.

Luck... thanks for weighing in.  I wish you were our ped! :-)  I feel almost guilty if I were to go against my ped's wishes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Nut allergies:
    [QUOTE]As for being "old fashioned," our ped is maybe 36! 
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]

Just for the record, I thought it was a little bit not so nice of my pediatrician's practice-mate to say the other doctors were being old fashioned... many nicer ways to say that you find the recommendation to be out of date!

And yes, Luck, thanks for your input!
    And IPW, seeing the variety of advice given out by all our different doctors can give you courage to rebel against your own when you want to!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I was thinking about you ladies this weekend. We were out with friends this weekend and I got a peanut butter and chocolate gelato (my favorite!). Decided to let ds try it - he loved it! No reaction, but I know that it sometimes doesn't happen until they try it several times. It would be nice to not worry about it anymore though. :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The one food I have found to be universal on never before a year is honey. And that is because of a very specific tpye of botulism that needs a more mature digestive system. Everything else seems to be open for debate. I gave DD smooth peanut butter and hummus around 9-10 months with no problems. But we don't have any history of allergies in our family, and DD has never had any food sensitivities. If that weren't the case, I'd probably be more cautious. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

After recently watching The Future of Food on Netflix (and getting depressed) I am 100% sure my plan of action for nuts if we ever have a baby is to introduce non-genetically modified ones.  Watch it and see what you think...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I gave it to my kids around 15 months.  My doctor also said the main issue is choking, and to always make sure it is spread thin.  I only buy organic peanut butter.  The first time I gave it to my oldest son I had my shoes on and my keys and pocketbook at the door in case I had to rush him to the doctor! lol  I used to cut a sandwich into little strips and he'd eat it himself.  Luckily he's not allergic because he's eaten it for lunch 4-5 days a week for almost 10 years now! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

[QUOTE]I gave it to my kids around 15 months.  My doctor also said the main issue is choking, and to always make sure it is spread thin.  I only buy organic peanut butter.  The first time I gave it to my oldest son I had my shoes on and my keys and pocketbook at the door in case I had to rush him to the doctor! lol  I used to cut a sandwich into little strips and he'd eat it himself.  Luckily he's not allergic because he's eaten it for lunch 4-5 days a week for almost 10 years now! 
    Posted by MichelleandtheBoys[/QUOTE]

Michelle, I'm surprised they let you bring in peanut butter to school these days! LOL about the shoes and the keys. :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nut allergies : Michelle, I'm surprised they let you bring in peanut butter to school these days! LOL about the shoes and the keys. :-)
    Posted by rhm327[/QUOTE]

I know! They go to a private school, and believe it or not they actually serve peanut butter sandwiches (thank goodness), along with other great hot and cold items, soup, and salad bar, but most days my picky guy gets peanut butter and an apple. :-/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Thanks IPW!
    Not to instill fear or anything but RHM is right.  It is not the first time you introduce but the second. :)
    Your body has to first be exposed to the antigen.
    That being said I eat peanuts and handle DD all the time right after.  I am sure she has been bathed in peanut antigen so a first real exposure might cause a reaction.  Ok, forgive my scientific nerdy side...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

So I'll get my shoes and keys ready for the next time I offer anything nutty. Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

With both my kids they tried PB and strawberries shortly before a year (DS just last week when he grabbed his sister's lunch!)  I generally try to make sure we're at home or somewhere where we are generally able to easily deal with a medical crisis should one arise the first few times.  (not keys in hand, but more of a mental checklist of what we'd do) We don't have any food allergies in either family though, so I wasn't terribly concerned.  I know it can be a HUGE deal if you have food allergies!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

We don't have any nut allergies, but someone in our family has celiac and needs to eat gluten free. Ds has had no issues with wheat, barley or rye, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

rhm, my DD is also celiac and it could take many years to show a sign IF he was to get it.  Depending on the relative, you may not have to worry about the disease.  My DHs father has it and it skipped all his children and the risk of a grandchild getting it was like 20%.  We need to wait until my oldest DD is old enough to understand her disease so we can really let her sister eat gluten so she can be tested, but her risk of getting it increased to about 40-50% because they are immediate relatives.  My FIL showed syptoms at age 57, my DD was just 1.  Even tho my youngest is 7 months...Im not going to worry about the allergy...she will be mostly gluten free because it will be easiest in my house, but Im not afraid to give it to her because there is a very high chance she may not have it and if she does...well no problem! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

OMG - My mother-in-law watched DD today (who is 9 months) so that we could golf.  Super nice.  When we came home she said how much DD loved peanut butter on her finger.

So much for controlled exposure!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

OMG!  I would have flipped out! Glad she didn't have a problem with it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Luck, that's certainly one way to do it! :-)

BTW, are pine nuts, nuts?  My friend the other day said she is going to wait on introducing nuts, but then gave her 10 mth old pesto pasta.  Huhm...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I posted something about pine nuts, but it was wrong.  Here's an article about them regarding allergies

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Well, darn, kargiver, I've been saying for years that pine nuts are actually seeds, (they come from pinecones), which is why I'm not allergic to them! When I google them I get:

Question: What are pine nuts and do they really come from pine trees?
    What are pine nuts and do they really come from pine trees?
    Answer: Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pine trees. They are small elongated ivory-colored seeds from pine cones, measuring about 1/2 inch long. When raw, the seeds have a soft texture and a sweet, buttery flavor. They are often lightly toasted to bring out the flavor and to add a little crunch.

BUT if they are considered in the tree nut family, I stand corrected - I once had a waiter VAULTING across the restaurant to try to get to me before I could pick up the item with pine nuts in it (I'd ordered it knowing it had them, as I'm not allergic to them).  I'm allergic to tree nuts but I can eat pine nuts and LOVE pesto. 

I tend to go to FAAN.org for all things allergy related - FAAN stands for food allergy and anaphylaxis network. 

yes, mango, strawberries are also sometimes cause allergies, and about 2 months ago we had a child who had a reaction to watermelon!  He turned RED like he'd been in the sun for hours, but no breathing issues, no hives, just a very worried director and parents.... by the time the parents got there in about 30 minutes he was back to normal and I was left saying 'but he was red all over, honest!"  (they believed me, but really, sometimes I feel like doctors will think I'm a crazy person when the symptoms are gone by the time parents and doctors see the children).