October -- Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kac320. Show kac320's posts

Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers

Hi- I have a DS who also had some constipation issues. We tried all the old tricks - prunes, pears, various juices and nothing worked. Pedi. finally recommended Miralax mixed with the milk. We did it for 8 weeks and it worked wonders ! Apparently what can happen is that because it hurts them to go they start holding it in which causes back up and hard stools along with all the discomfort. I think what we did was half a dose of the cap... we did the pharmacy brand. It basically "tricked" his body into being able to go and *knock on wood* havent had any issues since. Getting them to drink water is tough... my DS loves milk so of course that is what he wants! He is now 2 1/2 and better about it... he loves drinking water out of a poland spring squirt bottle. Works for us because it gets him drinking. When he was younger he had a DORA straw cup that he loved and would drink water out of.

Maybe give your pedi a call and see what they say about the Miralax. I was worried about cramping and discomfort but he seemed totally fine with it. My pedi. did recommend to start on a weekend or when you will be home for a few days in case it starts working too well.. then you may have to lower the dose, or in some cases increase it if it doesnt work. Hope this helps.... I know what its like to worry about this. My poor coworkers got to me hear me on the phone with daycare asking about poops every day! Lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: October -- Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]something to do with the emergence of free will running headlong into a lack of vocabulary.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]
    I believe it.  In the last month or so, I really see her struggling to tell me something but I have no idea what she wants.  And in our case, while her being a slow mover is easier in a lot of ways, it impedes her from getting quickly to the things she wants, which makes her more frustrated.

Winter, I like your removal idea.  We also struggle with the laughing when we tell her no.  We play a lot of "chase" games, so when we go to remove her from something that's actually dangerous, she thinks we're going to play the game.  I try to keep my voice/face really neutral, but it's hard!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

GC - any luck connecting with your pedi?

Ditto happy birthday to the October babies!  Yesterday a year ago was my due date... but DD had other plans. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

DD slept through the night for the first timme EVER last night! woohoo! I hope I don't jinx it. ;-) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Yay baby silver! Keep it up girl! You deserve the uninterrupted sleep.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, Silver!

I have to share big news from our house.  Many of you have heard about our LO's slow gross motor skills and early intervention.
    In the past week, she has figured out how to sit up from lying down!!!
    AND she has successfully pulled herself to stand without help from sitting at least 3 times!  Definitely still awkward, but she's working on it.  And she looks SO proud of herself.  Love her.  Little love bug.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Silver, I didn't realize she hadn't done that yet.  SO exciting!!

I don't want to take up too much time with p!ssing and moaning, but it's been a tough couple weeks and mama is worn out!  DD was sick with a cold last weekend and DH worked OT all weekend, work is super busy, milk supply hasn't been the greatest, and DD was still off this weekend (and DH worked again).  She was up from about 1:30 to 3:30 this morning.  Time for more coffee!

OK done!  I'm excited to get DD dressed up for Halloween.  Ordered a ducky costume this weekend.

Happy bday to all of the fall babies!!  Can't believe it's been a year already - not to mention that my own DD is 8 months already!

ETA: That IS great news medford :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Love the ducky!  DD is going to be a little cow...not that we'll be doing much trick-or-treating with a 1 year old.  So weird to think that in 10 days that's what she'll be!  We ordered the b'day cupcakes for the little party we're having on Saturday...suddenly it is very real.  Looking at pictures of the past year, and I can hardly remember what it was like when she was so tiny and helpless! 

Her latest trick is taking her blanket, covering her face, then lowering the blanket and giggling...kind of her own peek-a-boo.  Also in the last 2-3 days there have been several occasions where she's been standing up, not holding on to anything for a few seconds.  She's working on tooth #4, but right now, just having the one on top makes her look very silly! 

I'm going to wait until we go to the Pedi next week to start the milk transition...I've heard people do cold-turkey, half and half, all kinds of things, so I'm interested to hear what my pedi thinks.  She has 3 kids of her own, so I am always as interested in her hands-on experience as I am her professional opinion! In the meantime, we're at 4 bottles a day now, and I'm guessing we'll replace the two during the day with snacks, can bump up breakfast for the first one.  I do not want to give up the last one though, just selfishly, since I love that time cuddling with her. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Horray for BabyMed!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yay, Medford!  Sometimes I wish I had you all as facebook friends (for those of you who partake in that) so I could see your adorable little ones and all the awesome things they are doing!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Poppy, I agree!
    also,

It's a testament to how much facebook has infected my life that I FREQUENTLY go to "like" people's posts and get confused that I can't haha. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Great news babyMed!

Luv - we just went cold turkey 1 day before her bday with milk.  She did fine. I am so glad to be done with formula - at least for now.

DD bday is today.  She had a great day and is walking independently now all over.  Super fun and she is super proud!

Poppy - I agree.  We should have a day at the park or something so we can see everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Quickly scanning posts before going to bed.  Work has gotten too busy to add anything during the day :-(

Count me in as another who was surprised at the change with DD being one.  For us, dinnertime is the big struggle.  She often rejects many offers and ends up eating a randome assortment of food. 

Yay, babies Medford & Silver!

Fram-Hang in there!  My supply went down around that tiem as well and it drove me crazy! 

Poppy & Luck-I totally agree.  A play date would be fun! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Poppy, I'd be totally up for that, I love to finally meet all the babies and Moms! I went to a boston.com "brides" reunion in Newton a few years back, and we all had such a great time (some of you may even have been there!). I've also set up facebook groups before and can try to do it again if anyone wants. I'm rarely on facebook, but I do love seeing pictures from everyone. (Totally off topic, but I kept my maiden name when I got married and am frankly annoyed and the number of "friend" requests I get from guys I used to know who have recently ended relationships. Very annoying that divorce season has kicked in!).

So, this may be strange but I am starting to this DD has a milk allergy or intolerance. She loves yogurt and cheese and has never had a problem with it, but she's had a diaper rash constantly she started drinking cow's milk, and she also seems to thrash around alot at night, I thought it was that she started having more vivid dreams. We spent the night at my parents house due to some construction at our house, so DD was in a crib right next to me thrashing around and I reached out to her and realized her tummy was rock hard and she was full of gas and in pain. Her BMs have also been pebbly, but it never crossed my mind that it could be milk (because she's eaten cheese and yogurt all along). For some reason, it clicked for me last night that this may be the issue. I'm going to have to call the pedi today.

Is it even possible to eat cheese and dairy and have a milk allergy?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ML- are you sure it isn't just constipation?  when we added cows milk, it took a little adjusting for DS, we had a lot of pebbles for a few weeks. However, I would assume that if you can't have milk, yogurt and cheese would also be out.

yeah medford- that is such a big deal! that is great. I am also happy for Silver and hope that fram gets a little more sleep. I also had supply issues at age 1, it is like your body knows (or perhaps that is why milk is started at 1) but also make sure that you are taking care of yourself!!

ps. about the playdate- I was really worried Boston.com would take these away when they went to a pay-to-view model and had brainstormed all kinds of ideas to replace it with... soo glad they didn't, but all the other things can have pictures...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ML - you can be lactose intolerant and eat cheese and yogurt.  My DH has severe lactose intolerance, but he can eat butter, hard cheese and yogurt because the lactose comes out with a the whey when these products are made.
    So it could very well be the cows milk. Call the pedi and get her checked out.
    If that's the problem you will have to avoid all products with whey in them - which unfortunately is almost everything - bread, cookies, all sorts of things that you don't think of as "dairy".  It's maddening.
    Duncan Hines cake mix is a happy exception.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I just have to vent for a second....I had to make three different doctor's appointments during my lunch break and every single office turns their phones off for the lunch hour?!

On what planet is that acceptable? Isn't that when people make appointments, on their lunch break?

BTW, I'm anxious to here about baby GC and what her pedi has to say about the p0op situation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Yes, ml, you can have a dairy sensitivity and still eat cheese, all kinds of diary products and drink milk.  I have a dairy sensitivity [not lactose intolerant - just dairy sensitive]. I get immediately congested and gassy if I have it, but I love the stuff, so I just eat it in moderation. I don't drink cow's milk anymore - I've switched to goat milk, which is insanely expensive, but super creamy like whole milk. I'd check w/ a pedi before subbing in anything like goat milk or soy products.  I am also soy sensitive, but Silk and its like are disgusting IMO, so no great loss there.

But will will crave dairy regularly, even though I know the effects I'll have down the road. After all, who could really give up icecream?  Def. talk to your pedi - lactose intolerance and dairy sensitivity are not remotely the same things. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, everyone!  :)

Happy birthday, baby Luck!

re: dairy - has anyone with dairy sensitivity / lactose intolerance tried kefir?  I just bought some because the LO doesn't really care for whole cow milk, but haven't tried it yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Kefir is still milk. It's just fermented.

I'm currently sniffling b/c I had some milk chocolate after lunch.  You can still consume dairy w/ a sensitivity [unless it's really severe, I would imagine] but just need to be prepared to be uncomfortable later on.  I imagine I'll get gassy from the milk in my coffee and the chocolate in about 45 minutes, but oh well.  I'll shut my door if necessary.  As an adult, I can make the decision to eat the stuff regardless, but I imagine that for an infant or toddler, you need to consult w/ the pedi.  They just know that the milk, yoghurt or icecream is yummy and that they want more. If they are having really bad reactions - horrible  gas, BM issues, or just digestive pain, it may not be fair to keep feeding them the stuff.  But talk to your pedi; they will be able to give you better guidance.  

My dr told me that you can actually develop an addiction to food that you are sensitive to, and that it has a narcotic effect when you have it. That would explain how I would go through 2-3 gallons of milk MYSELF per week before I was diagnosed.   So if your child wants to eat and clearly enjoys dairy, that would not be unusual, even if they really are senstivie.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

And it depends on how sensitive you are.  My DH can spend an hour in the bathroom after eating a slice of bread that was made with milk.  He gets horrible cramps and diarrhea.  We basically can't have any processed food in the house.  I spent forever in the grocery store the other day trying to find breadcrumbs (!) without milk in them.  Turns out either 365 at Whole foods or Ian's Panko are my only choices.
    So many nights I have wished we could have a Stouffers Lasagna or a frozen chicken pot pie - but it's just not an option.
    Thank heavens my grocery store makes a wheat bread without milk  -and sells some organic english muffins without milk.  Otherwise I wouldn't even be able to make the poor guy a sandwich.
    But as I said, we can eat hard cheeses and some yogurts - stonyfield are the best - lots of live cultures that seem to eat up the lactose.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Baby GC is doing OK.  The pedi green-lighted the Miralax so I have her on a small daily dose to get things moving/softer and we're also ramping way back on cow's milk and trying different sippies.  Once we get the BM's to something she can pass without major upset and also without over-shooting the mark and winding up with huge, muddy diapers, we'll start weaning off the Miralax. 

I am the Po*p Whisperer. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

it is so great to meet you po*p whisperer- you should have your own tv show. set in boston :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Happy birthday baby LIL, Luv and Poppy!! So weird to have official toddlers isn't it! Medford congrats! That is so awesome. You must have been so thrilled. DS just learned to clap this weekend. It's beyond cute, and he laughs and laughs when he does. We have his 1 year doctor's appt this Friday, sad for all his shots he's going to be getting. He also has a little cold, so hopefully those won't make him too much worse. We're counting down to daycare starting Nov 1st. I've taken both the 1st and 2nd off for transition...we'll see about the 3rd (he's just doing Tu, We, Th to start). Oh, and we are doing 1/3rd formula to 2/3 milk for his 3 bottles a day until I run out of formula (probably one more week) then we'll do all whole milk, which he's had and does well with so far. Would love to figure out some way to see all these gorgeous babes and kids either in some FB group or park visit. I'm in if someone figures out how to do it. Good luck with the diapers GC!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

GC - My DD (20 months) was also put on Miralax earlier this week.  She hadn't p00ped in 4+ days and was clearly in discomfort.  Since going on Miralax, she's successfully made 2 p00ps (TWO!!) in the past 24 hours, both a very nice consistency, if I may say :)

Before resorting to the Miralax, we had tried the "P" diet and removing cheese and bananas, with little success.  My pedi told me that some kids just have problems regulating themselves at this age.  I plan to wean her off the Miralax over the next week or two and hope she stays regular.  GL to your DD too! P00p struggles stink!

Sections
Shortcuts