October Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

October Infants & Toddlers

Here's a funny blog post that I thought I would pass along: http://www.chicagonow.com/baby-sideburns/2013/10/you-know-you-are-a-mom-if/

If you're on FB you should follow Baby Sideburns.  She cracks me up!

Happy October!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: October Infants & Toddlers

OMG clc... that is too funny. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy1022. Show poppy1022's posts

Wow, it is SCARY how accurate that list is!! I do #9 every time I get into the car. The only one I didn't get was the Hot Dog Dance?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hahaha, wow. The meals and the toy songs really got me. Does anyone else's daycare or playgroup do the "clean up" song? I've been going to a playgroup lately where they sing it at the end, and DS likes it enough that we've been singing it at home. Needless to say, I've had "Clean up! Clean up! Everybody, everywhere! Clean up! Clean up! Everybody do your share." in my head for a week now. Oof.

We're having a rough week with bedtime. DS (19 months) is screaming his head off when we put him down, and keeping it up for quite awhile. There is clearly nothing wrong, as the second one of us comes in the room he starts chatting away, so I think we need to just power through it. We have a consistent bedtime routine and I've started giving him lots of lead time -- telling him we're going to read one more book and then go to bed, etc., but nothing is helping. The second I go to put him in the crib he erupts. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips to try and nip this in the bud. He's such a good sleeper and has always gone down so happy, so we're feeling a little overwhelmed. Doesn't help that DH was away all weekend and we're both exhausted. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy, Hot Dog Dance is what they do at the end of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse tv show :)

Arcain - could it be separation anxiety? I seem to remember my DD1 goign through sleep issues at about 20-21 months.  She was anxious about going to sleep and would wake up screaming.  I think they realize it's a long separation from you and they want to delay it. I don't know how verbal he is but you could try telling him/reminding him that you sleep in the next room and are very close by.  Does he have a comfort object or even a favorite toy car or truck that you could let him sleep with? Good luc!k!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Rama, I didn't get that either!  (I hate that show!)

Arcain - I agree with Rama that it's probably developmental.  I think we did a lot of going back in every couple of minutes at around that age?  I thought for us (personal experience only!) it worked better than leaving for longer stretches.  I think because the only thing was wrong was just wanting us to stay with her.  A longer stretch always resulted in her getting so upset.  The first few nights we had to go back in many many times, but it gradually diminished.  Good luck!  Whatever it is, I know it's so hard when you're so tired!

Speaking of which, I am so tired.  :)  DS woke up a lot two nights ago, and then last night slept great, except that instead of waking up around 3 AM to eat, he didn't wake up to eat until 5:15.  That's sort of good (progress, maybe!) but also I am more tired today because first of all I woke up around 4 anyway, wondering what was going on.  And then after feeding him, it was late enough that I didn't get back to bed.  Ah, well.  He was super snuggly and he is doing so much "talking" lately!  His talking is the cutest thing I have ever, ever seen.  He moves his mouth like he's really trying to say something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I was cracking up at the baby sideburns lady!  too funny!

Arcain - I dont have any advice for you but hope this phase passes quickly.

DS had his 15 month check up today.  I decided to give him toast with peanutbutter on it so if anything happened we would be at the doctors.  No reactions!  He grew 3 inches in the last 3 months, now in the 100% for height and 60% for weight.  He recieved 4 shots that didnt go over very well :(  Other than that he is a healthy toddler!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ugh!  Now I have that stupid hot dog song in my head! My nephew used to love that song.

Great report Pugs.  Three inches! 

This is quickly becoming my mantra, but could it be teeth Arcain? Molars? Sometimes laying down makes the pressure worse? 

I'm looking for opinions - I signed DD adn my mom up for a playgroup that starts tomorrow.  I'm torn between using my lunch time to go with them or letting them go and have it be "thier" thing?  I'd love to see her first reaction, but suppose I could go another time... what to do?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all. I think separation anxiety is it. He's getting even more chatty and interactive, and a teeny bit more clingy (which I will take any time because he's never been much of a cuddler!). I don't think it's teeth because he's shown no signs of pain otherwise...plus, he never lies down in the crib during these sessions -- just jumps up and down and screams. If he weren't so upset, it would be funny!

Med, so it worked for you to go back in there? DH and I have been doing that but wondering if we're just exacerbating the problem because he knows he can get us back in there by screaming. Plus, when we do go in, he screams just as hard as before the second we put him down -- doesn't even wait until we leave the room. I do tell him I'll be just down the hall and back to check on him soon, but it doesn't seem to help. I don't know if he gets concepts like that yet. We never had to do CIO when he was littler, so I'm clueless as to whether that's an appropriate strategy here. 

So cute about your DS's talking! I love that stage when it's all babbling but they mimic real speech. So cute! Sorry you're so tired though.

Pugs - Great news on all but the shots. Hopefully he'll feel better as the day goes on!

Nov - Could you just go tomorrow to see how it goes and then let them do it on their own afterwards? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Happy October!

Arcain - could be separation anxiety, especially at that age.  DD1 (now 3) went through a lot of weird sleep issues around 18-20 months.  I think sometimes it also has to do with new milestones - both physical and developmental.  Those caused quite a few sleep disruptions in our house.

Pugs - great check up!  (minus the shots - poor guy!)

Novem - I would say maybe tag along to the first playgroup if you want to.  That way you can check it out and let them go by themselves the next time.  I always like to be able to envision where DD is and I like being able to put names with faces. 

clc - thanks for the link - I definitely laughed at that list!

Med - sorry you are tired.  I am right there with ya.  If DD2 is going to wake up in the night (which she almost always does), I would rather it be at 2:00am and not 4:00am since I get up at 5:00 anyways!  The other day she got up at 3:50 and that was basically it for me - I was up for the day.  Sounds so ridiculous - but then makes total sense when I pass out sitting upright in a chair at 8:30 at night!

As for me - DD2 turned 4 months old yesterday.  She is getting so cute I can hardly stand it.  And the babbling and talking is full force.  I swear she thinks we are having a complete conversation.  With all of this, she has also become a very distracted nurser, and breaks into a huge smile if I look down at her and make eye contact.  While it warms my heart, I wish she would just eat and focus.  She also is constantly trying to turn her head when she hears DD1 running around or hears DH's voice (she has become SUCH a daddy's girl).  I know the simple solution is to go in a dark, quiet room to feed her, but that bums me out and hopefully I won't have to do that.  I like to be a part of the action too and interacting with DD1 and DH in the evenings is part of our family routine.  However, last night DD2 clamped down her little gums and bit me while turning her head to try to look over at DH and DD1.  Yowsers!! I saw stars and almost jumped through the ceiling.  Let's hope that is not a new trend or we'll be weaning asap!

For once I'm actually a little bit ahead in terms of Halloween.  Both girls have their costumes already.  DD1 is a pirate princess and DD2 is a strawberry (cute little Carter's costume).  Yay.  Check that off the to-do list. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Poppy, the hot dog dance is from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the Disney Chanel. :) My DS (now 13) watched it when he was 5, well sometimes I catch him watching on Saturday...lol.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Funny on your suggestions, as I was leaning toward having them go without me to the first one so my Mom could have that moment, and then joing them in a couple of weeks once they have established their routine there.  I have until tomorrow to decide.  I'd ask my mom, but I know she'll say - whatever you want is fine with me.  There's just that little nagging pang of guilt that I should be (or would like to be) the one doing this kind of thing with her.  Sigh...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Oh man, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I was doing well on the "no TV before age 2" thing, but I've caved a bit lately since I've been solo while DH has been away/working late. Had the show on the other day and DS was absolutely enchanted, kept saying "monkey" when he saw Mickey and saying "hi" when a new character came on screen. I turned it off when he lost interest, so I missed the Hot Dog Song, but I can tell from what I've seen that he's going to love it and it's going to drive me nuts :-). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, guys, for the sympathy on the tiredness!  ALS - yes, DS is also easily distracted by DH and/or DD when nursing!  Although smiling at mommy is the biggest problem.  :)

Novem - I am on the opposite side and would probably let it be their thing, or maybe join at a later date.  I can't remember how old your LO is?  My mom has taken DD to a music class for a long time and it's definitely special for them.

Arcain - I can't remember a lot of things about how old DD was for certain things.  But I think it was after we got past that 15 month mark when we started this going back after a few minutes.  However, we didn't pick her up (I think you are maybe?).  We would go in, say some kind of calm reassuring thing that was the same every time (I forget what), and then leave again.  Wait a really short time, repeat.  I found the short time worked for us because she wouldn't get so worked up that she wouldn't calm down when we came to say the reassuring thing.  When I say we did it a lot of times, I mean like 20 times at first.  Then it diminished.  But honestly, the thing that was the most important for me was Having A Plan.  Even if the plan was going badly, not having to think (or discuss with DH) about what to do made it a lot easier.

You're right about the part about making them realize that if they scream, you will come.  However, for me personally (others will disagree), with the older kid I preferred the idea that I wasn't going to stay but I would keep coming back, over the idea that I was just gone.  Now that DD is 3, we instituted that we will come back to check on her as long as she does NOT scream (and if she does scream we'll shut her door) - but I don't think that would have worked at 19 months.  GL!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Life took care of itself... I now have a meeting at the same time as playgroup.   I'm sure I'll get a full report this afternoon.  On a separate note, DD's halloween costume arrived last night, so we tried it on this am.  So cute!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - in our house it's, "Clean up, clean up, everybody do your chair!" (??) Hope bedtime gets better for you soon. We absolutely went through that with DD at that age. It didn't last forever. CIO did NOT work for DD (she would just scream, never stop and fall asleep). We did something similar to what Medford did and it (pretty much) worked.

Nov - how did the playgroup go for your mom and DD?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Two things...

In the last couple of days, DS has been moaning/grunting while he's nursing. It sounds almost like he's p00ping but there's no p00p. Has this happened to anyone else? I've tried taking him off and burping him, but he starts to cry and root immediately. He seems uncomfortable but I can't figure out what needs to be fixed.

Also (and I know it's early), but what's everyone's experience with babies at Christmas? DS will be about 8 months. I don't want to get him a ton of stuff because I know he'll be spoiled by his aunties and grandparents. I know he won't care about gifts but I feel like we should do something. We'll probably do a little stocking for him and maybe one big gift, I just don't know what. Everything that I have my eye on is a little too big for him this Christmas. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The report back was that DD loved playgroup - hopped right in playing with all the toys, and actually sat still for music circle.  My Mom said she loved watching DD interact with the different kids, and different toys and saw her as a kid instead of a baby.  So sweet!!

Chiclet - last Christmas we got DD an excersaucer and a few small things - mostly becuase we have little nieces and nephews to answer to and couldnt; think of a reason why Santa wouldn't bring something to a baby.  The rest of the family absolutely went hog wild on gifts for her though.  If there are bigger things you know you want, like a sandbox, and people are looking for gifts to give, you can always store them away.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:

Two things...

In the last couple of days, DS has been moaning/grunting while he's nursing. It sounds almost like he's p00ping but there's no p00p. Has this happened to anyone else? I've tried taking him off and burping him, but he starts to cry and root immediately. He seems uncomfortable but I can't figure out what needs to be fixed.

Also (and I know it's early), but what's everyone's experience with babies at Christmas? DS will be about 8 months. I don't want to get him a ton of stuff because I know he'll be spoiled by his aunties and grandparents. I know he won't care about gifts but I feel like we should do something. We'll probably do a little stocking for him and maybe one big gift, I just don't know what. Everything that I have my eye on is a little too big for him this Christmas. 

My DD was 6 months last Christmas. I was afraid she'd get spoiled rotten, and she sort of did but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I feared my parents would buy her an entire Toys R Us, so I just got her a stuffed stocking, some PJs, and some small toys from DH and I ("Santa"). She had no idea what was going on anyways, but we got great pics and home video of our first time opening gifts together :)

This Christmas I can't wait to get her a play kitchen!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

For babies and toddlers, get a ball drop toy like these!

http://www.amazon.com/Earlyears-Roll-Swirl-Ball-Ramp/dp/B004IZWQYQ

http://www.yoyo.com/p/edushape-rollipop-advanced-ball-drop-set-161307?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_Y&utm_term=ED-115&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1395478377&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=ED-115&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=2586&StepNum=1&award=aw

this one looks like so much fun, but I think you might need to add an addition to your home!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007J3FAJ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_i6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0CNJP36WDYRB5T3Y4PR4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We did similar to Summer and Nov when our kids were really little.

CT, thanks for the links. I actually think I might get us one of these this year (I used to have one for DD but I think it was left behind when we lived with my in-laws. I haven't seen it since we moved...) We went to the Children's Museum yesterday and both kids (1 and 3) *loved* the ball drop room (not sure what else to call it). And we saw John Travolta and Kelly Preston and their son. Good time had by all. ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I've learned with my second not not really get them anything! they get spoiled by everyone around them, and they have no idea who gave them what. This year for DD's 2nd birthday we only gave her a few things, more essential things like clothes and future toys, esp. when she was younger than a year!

Arcain-both of my kids when through a horrible sleep phase at 19 months. It was at hte point when I would put them in their crib and they would scream like I was feeding them to lions. it was great. the only thing that worked for us was time, about 4-6 weeks after it started it ended. With DS I powered through and did the revisit every 5 min. with DD I just didn't have it in me so I just rocked her to sleep-soundly asleep! It just wasn't worth the hassle of hearing her cry, esp when I knew it would abruptly end. And it did for her, now I put her in bed awake and she puts herself back to sleep-so I didn't break her by rocking her. phew!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet, we didn't get anything for DD's first Christmas, except for a stocking with her name on it.  Probably will do the same for DS.  (Although I'm glad someone made the point about questions about Santa from older kids... hmm.)  If people ask what you would like, try to think of things that will be right for the coming year, even if they're too old for your DS right now.

Bad couple of sleep nights.  We are finally stopping swaddling.  DS (5 months) is probably too old anyway, his feet are pushing on the end of the miracle blanket, and (more importantly) he busted out of it completely the other night plus he is now rolling over from his back to his front!  But he is soooo displeased with not being swaddled.  He woke up all night long.  Nothing to do but ride it out and wait for him to get adjusted, but I am a little bit unsure of how to help him.  We'll let him fuss, but when he starts really yelling, we go in, and he's not flailing - he's there with his eyes closed and his arms still!  Just yelling.  I thought it would be all kinds of flailing.  So we mostly shush him and give him a pacifier and he's fine.  Surprising, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Med - have you tried swaddling just his legs?  DD always hated her arms tucked in, so we used to burrito wrap her legs befor putting her in the crib.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hmmm, never thought of that, Novem!  Thanks for the idea.  Do you use a plain swaddle blanket?

I can't remember for the life of me what we did with DD.  I think she just wasn't as attached to being swaddled and we weren't as consistent about using it.  With DS we have done it every single night and he has been a pretty good sleeper (better than she was).

Sections
Shortcuts